Will the Packers D improve after the bye week?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You are getting a few players back on the D right?

I hear a lot of crap talked about the Packers D at times. I think they are better then their numbers say and so is the talent. They have poor numbers vs. the pass, good numbers vs. the run and led the league in interceptions heading into this past weekend.

Just the pass D makes no sense to me at times. I feel GB should be dominating there at times and they simply are not. Maybe it's still too early but I still think the potential is there and so is the talent.

Will it get better?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't understand why our defense gets trashed so bad, but New England don't get trashed as bad for allowing everyone to throw 340 or more passing yards on them a week, not to mention, we have stopped the running game, New England lives and dies soley on the turnover. They go into the game panicking that they won't get a turnover. Green Bay DID stop Atlanta, and if our defense is really that bad, we would have lost to Carolina and New Orleans.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I don't understand why our defense gets trashed so bad, but New England don't get trashed as bad for allowing everyone to throw 340 or more passing yards on them a week, not to mention, we have stopped the running game, New England lives and dies soley on the turnover. They go into the game panicking that they won't get a turnover. Green Bay DID stop Atlanta, and if our defense is really that bad, we would have lost to Carolina and New Orleans.

I don't either. Don't get me wrong, the Packers D gets sloppy/lazy at times to me. But, sometimes I think they turn it on when they need to. I don't feel the talent is nearly as bad as some of that crap they waltz out in NE.

I know the Packers have had some injuries on D though.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its interesting, because when they absoltuley need to show up, the D has got it done. a few games have been a tale of two halfs (not nearly as ***** as the ravens last game though). Hopefully everything starts to gel as it did last season... even if it doesnt, remember...we have not lost a game yet, and we are only 3 games away from MATCHING our regular season wins from last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its interesting, because when they absoltuley need to show up, the D has got it done. a few games have been a tale of two halfs (not nearly as ***** as the ravens last game though). Hopefully everything starts to gel as it did last season... even if it doesnt, remember...we have not lost a game yet, and we are only 3 games away from MATCHING our regular season wins from last year.

They shouldnt be allowing the 400+ yards

But they do stop when needed..

Collins and Jenkins are really missed..Jenkins provided rush that allowed BJ to get pressure...No Jenkins, no BJ at pro bowl level..

I knew Jenkins gone would hurt

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced Jenkins will go the whole season, even for Philly. But the Packers really do miss Collins. Williams is feeling better and Shields returned to practice this week, so things are looking up. I personally think the pressure is there up front. It's coverage in the secondary which has been weak. Part of that is because Capers didn't have them doing a lot of bump and run and part of it is because Capers has been fiddling with a lot of 2 down lineman sets looking for speed and coverage from the Linebacking corps, which may also miss Poppinga and I hate to say it, Barnett.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Well when you have an offense like ours that scores in 2 minutes then puts the D back on the field we are going to give up yards. Frankly I don't care if we allow 1000 yards a game as long as we don't give up the points and put a W on the board those are the only stats I care about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's coverage in the secondary which has been weak. Part of that is because Capers didn't have them doing a lot of bump and run and part of it is because Capers has been fiddling with a lot of 2 down lineman sets looking for speed and coverage from the Linebacking corps, which may also miss Poppinga and I hate to say it, Barnett.

The coverage is lacking, because the pressure up front isnt where it was last year..

Capers has to find ways to get more pressure

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Oh and apparently Zombo is back as well. They said he's moving pretty well with a knee brace. Now there are two main questions; when will the club come off of Burnett, and will Neal heal? One of the priorities for this off season will probably be to find another D lineman who is sturdy.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coverage is lacking, because the pressure up front isnt where it was last year..

Capers has to find ways to get more pressure
Exactly. No matter how many times some people say we don't we do miss Jenkins. Perhaps Neal could have filled the void but he has been absent. We need somebody playing like Jenkins did. A little help from the Walden would also go a long ways.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why our defense gets trashed so bad, but New England don't get trashed as bad for allowing everyone to throw 340 or more passing yards on them a week, . . .
Everyone expected a lot more out of the Packer defense than the Pats' defense.

This is a team returning most of their starters from a defense that was one of the best in the NFL. My only explanation is that the other teams now have a common plan of attack to exploit the Packer defense. Our CBs, Williams and Shields have not been playing as well as last year. And finally, Pickett and Raji have not been as good either.

One thing I didn't mention is the loss of Jenkins, because I actually believe we are better there without him. People complaint that we loose the pass rush, but that wasn't his job. You might as well complain that our Center isn't catching many TDs. DE's job was to take up blockers, take away run lanes, and then rush the passer in that order. His problem was that he was rushing the passer (to up his stats and his contract value) before taking care of the first two duties. I believe that is why his play time was decreased late in the season.

The Defense started slowly last year, but not this bad, so I'm hoping for improvement starting with the struggling Chargers.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Everyone expected a lot more out of the Packer defense than the Pats' defense.

This is a team returning most of their starters from a defense that was one of the best in the NFL. My only explanation is that the other teams now have a common plan of attack to exploit the Packer defense. Our CBs, Williams and Shields have not been playing as well as last year. And finally, Pickett and Raji have not been as good either.

One thing I didn't mention is the loss of Jenkins, because I actually believe we are better there without him. People complaint that we loose the pass rush, but that wasn't his job. You might as well complain that our Center isn't catching many TDs. DE's job was to take up blockers, take away run lanes, and then rush the passer in that order. His problem was that he was rushing the passer (to up his stats and his contract value) before taking care of the first two duties. I believe that is why his play time was decreased late in the season.

The Defense started slowly last year, but not this bad, so I'm hoping for improvement starting with the struggling Chargers.

Last year the Defense ended up 18th in the league against the run. This year they are 10th at this point. Was this a trade off in your opinion?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year the Defense ended up 18th in the league against the run. This year they are 10th at this point. Was this a trade off in your opinion?

I'd personally prefer more a pass rush D than run D. Teams are pass happy now, the run game is not used nearly as often as it once was. I think a big reason why the run D stat is so high is because of a lack of a run game.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will be better,I think they will give chargers fits Rivers has to weapons he likes to throw more than run the ball,d-line will have to put pressure on him, that's when he gets jumpy and throws bad think Woodson brings in t.d.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On Passing plays The role of the DE is to get a "push" to allow the LB's to make sacks. That's the role. Jenkins was good at that and even able to sack the QB on some occasions. We are not better off without him. Wynn hasn't filled his role.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more a matter of the offense taking defense gives them. It's just easier to pass on them now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts