Wildcard Weekend Packers vs 49ers

PackFANforlife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had heard something on ESPN that QBs with smaller hands struggle in the cold because the ball becomes so much harder, hence Dan Marino having tons of issues in his cold weather games. Rodgers hands are 1 1/2 inch bigger then Kaep's. No idea if it's true, but it's what I heard on ESPN today.

Ed-

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- He got hurt at the beginning of PRE-SEASON. You had plenty of time to maneuver. Oh, 2 words: RANDALL COBB.
2- JOHNNY JOLLY, besides, you plug in former #5 overall pick Glen Dorsey into his spot.
3- Third WR. Kapernick threw half his passes to Crabtree (whom he has back now) last year, plus added Boldin.
4- He just caught dump-off passes, and nobody needs a FB anymore. That's NOT an important position.
5- 5 games oooh. Try losing your starting OT's who also could have Pro Bowl potential if healthy, for FULL SEASONS. The two starting OT's for us should be backups, if not for torn ACL's. Hip dislocations, and double breaks of the leg.
6- Our nickelback was our best CB last year, Casey Hayward, and he also has been on IR the entire season
7- Your TE missed a few games? Oh how sad. Ours broke his neck on a helmet-aimed hit, and is on IR after having neck surgery, and his career is in doubt, you know, like how All-Pro safety Nick Collins' career abruptly ended 2 seasons ago.
8) I see Willis out there looking just fine.
9) Staley screamed in pain late one primetime game this year in scrub time... and he played the next week.

Your most important players on your roster, in order, IMO are:

QB Kaepernick
DE Justin Smith
ILB Bowman
TE Davis
ILB Willis
OT Staley
WR Crabtree
OT Davis
OLB Aldon Smith
WR Boldin
OG Iupati
S Reid
RB Gore
CB Rogers

That's about 15 guys there, and magically, ALL ARE HEALTHY & AVAILABLE to play Sunday. Wow. Yeah, lotta injury problems on that team?

Have you heard of Clay Matthews? How about Bryan Bulaga? Nick Perry? Those are 3 first round picks in the last 5 seasons OUT.
Also, Derek Sherrod, the 2011 first round pick, broke his leg in 2 places and has missed almost all of both seasons in the NFL... he's back but just a shell of his former self and has not gotten back yet at OT... but he might have to soon if another OT go down.
Jermichael Finley being out is like Vernon Davis being out. Last year, Kaepernick didn't even go to Davis much.

Anyway, take away Vernon Davis (Finley), Aldon Smith (Matthews), either of your ILB's (Brad Jones), and chip a bone in Ahmad Brooks (Nick Perry).
Also, tear the ACL of Staley (Bulaga), and break RT Anthony Davis' leg (Sherrod), and then we'll call it pretty even.

Don't forget Nick Collins.

Oh, and try playing 8 games without Kaepernick. There's no Alex Smith behind him this year.
And try having to use your #3 and #4 QBs to start in successive weeks.

Yeah, poor Niners have had to deal with a lot of injuries eh?
We have the cheese, San Fran famous for their whine. Perfect mix.
S Whitner

Frank,

Your reply is nonsense.

1) Preseason is about the worst time a long-term injury can occur. The only thing worse is a season-ending preseason injury, or a long-term injury causing post-season to be missed.

The bit about having time to "manuever" is total bunk. You can't simply replace one of your best players.

2) "Johnny Jolly"? It doesn't mean a thing. It's just an attempt to ignore a fact. As for Glen Dorsey, of course someone stepped in. I might as well dismiss Aaron Rodgers being out by saying that Flynn played. I'm not saying that Ian Williams had the same impact as Aaron Rodgers, but it's the same principal. You can't just dismiss an injured starting player by saying someone else took over.

3) KEEP IN MIND: The post you are criticizing was made IN RESPONSE to your RIDICULOUS statement regarding the 49ers: "...they have to be on some kind of synthetic steroids to keep avoiding injuries."

The fact that Crabtree is back does not negate the fact that the Niners have experienced injuries. Had the Niners won one more game, they would be the #1 seed, which is rather likely had Crabtree not been injured. So, yes, the Crabtree injury would be a factor this year, even if he were now 100% (which he isn't).

4) He was still our third leading receiver. You must not have watched many Niner games. He was huge in blocking for Frank Gore. He was big in the Niner game. Frank Gore's numbers dropped quite a bit after Miller went out. I read a number of articles by national writers who thought the loss would really hurt the Niners.

http://www.chatsports.com/san-franc...s-of-Bruce-Miller-Impacts-the-49ers-10-9-1291

That article starts off with: "There aren’t many fullbacks in the NFL today that play as big of a role as Bruce Miller has played this season for the San Francisco 49ers."

Learn something, before dismissing the loss as "not an important position".

5) Yes, you had worse "luck" regarding your OT injury situation than the Niners. It still doesn't negate the fact of the Niner OT injury.

6) Casey Hayward did play three games this season, I believe. In any event, you were not responding to a post that claimed that the 49ers had a worse injury season than the Packers. You started the "chain" by suggesting that the Niners had not experienced injuries.

7) Same as 6. Your team having a worse injury at the position is not the issue.

8) What is the point of mentioning Willis being out there? You mean, if one of our best players is out there, we haven't experienced injuries?

9) Same as for 8. Why are you mentioning this? It it completely irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 6794

As a 49ers fan I agree. The media gushes over the 49ers O-line but they're only good at run blocking. Pass protection is horrible.

I think your tackles are pretty good in pass protection as well. The middle of the O-line is a different story though. Maybe Mike Daniels can do some damage rushing the passer.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank,

Your reply is nonsense.
Apples to apples Eddie.
It's simple really.

Your only top notch player to be injured this year significantly was Crabtree snapping the achilles.... and amazingly, look, that happened way back in the summer, so his time to heal ALLOWED HIM TO BE BACK AT THE END OF THE SEASON when legacies are made.

Sure we had Clay in the preseason and early part of the season.

Which is more important?
Let's not pretend differently there.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just realised that the game doesn't kick off until after 1am monday morning here, looks like ill be sleeping at work rather than just a half shut knife

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. I applaud when my team makes clean hard hits. Blatantly hitting someone out of bounds doesn't take any special skill or talent. It just requires the player to be a classless dirtball who puts his own ego above the good of his own team.

I like good clean hard hits, too. I was not happy with the hit that Clay landed on Kaep, no matter how much I dislike that kid. Nor was I happy the time that Woodson punched someone. Not cool.

But, a single transgression does not equate (IMO) to someone being a "classless dirtball". For me to give that type of label, it needs to be a repeated and consistent behavior. e.g. Pacman Jones, Ndamukong Suh, etc.

Or do you have any other "classless dirtball"-type behavior that Clay Matthews has shown that I missed? Except for that one hit, he's been a fairly good role model, no?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If SF does beat us and all the cards fall and stars align, I would love to see KC vs SF superbowl and have Alex Smith beat their sorry stuck up ***es. That would be worth watching.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If SF does beat us and all the cards fall and stars align, I would love to see KC vs SF superbowl and have Alex Smith beat their sorry stuck up ***es. That would be worth watching.
As much as I'd love that, I can't root for a team coached by the Walrus.

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lol at kc beating SF. KC is not very good and they got exposed and will be exposed again. Smith would be eating dirt all game.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had heard something on ESPN that QBs with smaller hands struggle in the cold because the ball becomes so much harder, hence Dan Marino having tons of issues in his cold weather games. Rodgers hands are 1 1/2 inch bigger then Kaep's. No idea if it's true, but it's what I heard on ESPN today.

Kaep has played well in the two opportunites he's had in cold weather games (2012 v Patriots, and 2013 against Redskins). People also forget he went to college in Nevada and had plenty of cold weather games there.

Also, now that the weather looks like it's going to be below zero, I'm not sure that anyone "wins." I'm projecting pain and misery.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaep has played well in the two opportunites he's had in cold weather games (2012 v Patriots, and 2013 against Redskins). People also forget he went to college in Nevada and had plenty of cold weather games there.

Also, now that the weather looks like it's going to be below zero, I'm not sure that anyone "wins." I'm projecting pain and misery.
Both the Patriots and Redskin games were played in above freezing temperatures. I don't consider them cold weather games. Also the Redskins were a pathetic bunch and everyone played well against them this year.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples to apples Eddie.
It's simple really.

Your only top notch player to be injured this year significantly was Crabtree snapping the achilles.... and amazingly, look, that happened way back in the summer, so his time to heal ALLOWED HIM TO BE BACK AT THE END OF THE SEASON when legacies are made.

Sure we had Clay in the preseason and early part of the season.

Which is more important?
Let's not pretend differently there.

I still don't understand why you hate the niners because their healthy. Do you hate every team that is healthier than yours?

Also, you say a FB isn't relevant in today's NFL. Well, of course a FB wouldn't be important for the Packers offense, but he is very important for the niners. The niners feature a POWER RUNNING attack. Miller was absolutely important for the niners. The niners run more jumbo packages than they run 3 wr sets. Does that mean the niners injury situation is comparable to the Packers? No, not even close. But I'm sure what the niners can do about it, outside of pairing up 12 players and ordering them to stab each other in the thigh.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the Patriots and Redskin games were played in above freezing temperatures. I don't consider them cold weather games. Also the Redskins were a pathetic bunch and everyone played well against them this year.

I don't disagree with you, but in the only instances we have to draw upon, Kaep has looked good. And he played in cold weather conditions in college. My point is now that the weather has dropped below zero, I'm not sure that anyone is looking forward to the game (not literally - these guys are professionals, but it will be a nuisance for everyone there). I'm sure that Mr. Bama Lacy and Miami Frank Gore aren't overjoyed about freezing their ***** off. They'll do there jobs and put in good work, but I bet they will be cursing to themselves the entire time.

Luckily, the niners don't have to rely on Kaep to throw the ball. But Kaepernick is still not my worry going into this game. I and more worried about containing Rodgers and Lacy, and the health of the niners secondary.

PackFANforlife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't see how the niners are such a power running team when GBs RB missed two games and had more yards and TDs then gore. And one less rushing TD then the niners as a whole. We must be a power running team too.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't understand why you hate the niners because their healthy. Do you hate every team that is healthier than yours?
Because I am sick of our team having THE WORST luck with injuries, not just this year but the past 3 years.
As well as still mad we lost someone like Sterling Sharpe in his prime, career-ender.
Wasn't Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin, the other great 2 of that era. It was OUR guy.
Same with Nick Collins.
Wasn't a defensive player for the Niners.

Your front 7 on defense is great, AND ALL ARE HEALTHY. To us in Green Bay, that is a fricking miracle.
Your best 5 OL, all healthy. To us in Green Bay, that is a fricking miracle.
We have 2 first round picks on our OL too... but guess what, one tore his ACL before this season started and the other still hasn't fully come back from a broken leg in 2 places in 2011.

Everyone things the Niners drafting is so great compared to ours, but it makes a difference when they stay healthy -magically- like yours do, while ours tear ACLs, break legs, etc.

I've never seen a team like the Niners keep ALL their OL and D-front 7 in tact like you have there now. Plus your QB, TE, RB1, WR1 and WR2 are also there. Spectacular.

If you can't win a Super Bowl with that kind of luck and take advantage of that, forget it next year because your luck is due to reverse.

I can deal with Harbaugh, and even Kaepernick flexing.
I'm just tired of the injuries. If they were 100% flip-flopped, the Packers would be a 8 point favorite.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't see how the niners are such a power running team when GBs RB missed two games and had more yards and TDs then gore. And one less rushing TD then the niners as a whole. We must be a power running team too.

Lol, seriously? You don't see a little difference between the two offenses?