Why I feel Brett has Struggled this year

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched every game this year and have observed a few things about Brett that has me thinking about why he has struggled.

First I think his offseason workout screwed him up mechanically. I dont know about any of you but if you play a sport say Basketball and go lift alot of wieght and do aerobic and dont practice while doing this you come back and everything is off. Brett is in his mid thirties and his body rebelled against him. Many of his throws are under or over thrown. (if he comes back next year he will be remarkably better as his body will have caught up.

Second Brett like most QB's has lost his confidence in the team. After Javon went down Brett did not look like he even felt comfortable on the field. (Would you like to go to war with a bunch of kids with BB guns)

Third Brett IMO suffered from an OC that tried to dumb the offense down to much. During games this year I have seen only three main formations and probaly three plays each run out of them( Brett in the 90's and 2000 to 2004 had more options now teams have to do little to game plan the Packers)

Fourth when the Packers drafted Rodgers and not Defensive help I think it planted a bug in Bretts mind I do not think he felt the Pack were interested in winning further exaserbated by TT not bring in Players to help the team as injuries piled up.

In my summation Brett looks like someone caught in a high rise fire just throwing **** out of the window in hopes that some one any one will make a play. The QB position is so dependent on others doing their jobs to make you look great. This year no one has stepped up besides Driver to help Brett out.

If Favre comes back (which I think he will) he needs to demand that Rossley go away. He also needs to be more involved with his recievers in the Offseason. I have read that Elway became a team man towards the end with his SUberbowl runs and built a great deal of chemistry with his teamates. Brett used to with Chumara and others.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Gakk I dont think you wer following me there. Jus saying Favre traditionally does not throw alot in the offseason. Rember when he had elbow tendinitis. He said he did or does not throw the ball around Takes more Pride in his Lawnmowing. Just saying that from 2001 to 2004 Brett did not work out alot in the offseason. The suddenly bam he goes into a conditioning program. His mechanics are screwy on him and you cannot deny they arent.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JB, you brought up an excellent point that I was wondering about myself this season. As a soccer coach in the past I was always a little worried when the young men would start getting into heavy "Leg workouts with wieghts" as a result of wanting to build the legs a bit for the first time. The result could usually be seen on the field as the "touch" on the ball was never as soft after these workouts and motion was never as fluid had it been prior to the workouts. Bottom line is I think you may be on to something here JB.

I also think the massive injuries in the run and recieving game has also made him struggle this year as well as the penalties and loss of guards but yes, this summer regieme of his "might" have thrown his fluidity off a bit too. Interesting Post.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no offense guys, but I disagree...

I believe Brett's program was something like an hour/day, about 5 days/week in April and May. It was designed to strengthen his core. What he did was likely run of the mill type stuff by today's offseason workout standards.

I understand what you and winnipeg are getting at, but I don't see how strengthening your abs and back for 5 weeks is going to alter your performance THAT much.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musccy, you seem to have more knowledge on his off season routine then I do. If that is the case then I stand corrected. Was there much arm work involved ?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Musccy, you seem to have more knowledge on his off season routine then I do. If that is the case then I stand corrected. Was there much arm work involved ?

not that i know of.

it was a core workout, designed to improve his endurance and conditioning.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrow is right...from what I recall, ~5 weeks, about 5days/week, and about 1 hour/day. A little bit of conditioning and then focused almost exclusively on lower back/abs/obliques type of stuff.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see that is my point guys brett does not derive his throwing streght from his arm as some would think but from his core and hips. if you watch that is why he is off balance. pure arm throwers have trouble throwing acrosss the body whereas brett is known for being able to do just that. Just saying that he looks like his touch is off is all not somethin glaring but his throws have been erratic this year. Was just my opinion on the matter I am not a body mechanics type guy so who knows all I know is that at 36 Bretts body and muscle memory have a certain way of doing things and maybe I say maybe the workouts and conditions screwed that up a bit

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JBshell...there is some validity to what you're trying to say...e.g. aerobic training for an anaerobic activity is going to hinder performance...sprinters don't run marathons to get in shape.

However, the trainer was apparently trying to do football-specific excercises, plus, as far as I know, Brett hasn't continued these workouts, which means he did 5 weeks worth of work, and that was over 6 months ago, so I doubt it has any substantial lasting effect now, and to be honest, I question whether it would have substantially affected his performance even into opening week.

If anything I think it has helped him since it seems that Brett has more confidence in his elusiveness now, and IMO it has improved this year over what it has been the past 2-3 yrs.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would make sense if Brett was doing arm workouts. Because the example was used of a basketball player..I play basketball and It doesnt hurt my shot to work on any part of my body exept my arms. If I was to weight lift a lot withought practicing my shot would be worse even worse than what it already is ;)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with the premise that Favre has been less accurate throwing the ball this season. If there's been any dropoff there, it has been slight in my opinion. Most of his interceptions have been the result of throwing into coverage. The "dumbed down" offense has not helped, but it had to happen because of the turnover in personnel, especially with the lack of mobility at the guard positions. I agree that Favre lost confidence in the players around him, and at the beginning of the season he did express disappointment that the first-round pick was not used on a player who could help this year.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JB,
Wrong as usual.

Brett's problems are only partially to blame by the running game. The main problems are:

1)He's past his prime.
2)His ego won't let him not be the star.

The interception for a touchdown by Briggs last week is all you need to know about Brett and where he is in his career. Briggs was laughing at him in the Chicago media this week saying he couldn't believe he was so blind as to throw the ball there with him standing next to the receiver.

The bottom line is not the offensive plan(it was among the league leaders for every year), nor the play calling, nor anything else. When he stayed within the game plan and didn't try to be the hero, he did fine. But his ego simply would not allow him to simply take a sack or throw the ball away.

He is the reason for 90% of his own problems.

Do you have a big Brett Favre poster over your bed?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net..

why don't you go to a bear's forum..

you seem to be a bigger bear fan then a Pack fan...

or maybe you like the Vikkies..

You are a joke..pal!

Members online

Latest posts