Why does Rodgers only want to throw to Adams?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point was why throw an almost impossible completion, when there was an almost guarntee completion option
at this point, Adams has earned the right to be option 1 on almost every pass. and he's produced.

It was a great catch by Adams, but we see QB's all around the league go to their "go to" WR in big moments every week in those situations too regardless of what other guys are doing on the field. If they see even a glimmer early in a route that their guy is beating the defense, they're going there. I don't think it's unique to Rodgers. It seems every pass downfield by Wilson is to a well covered receiver making a perfect catch. I don't watch the Seahawks much, but whenever I flip them on it seem Locket is making a one handed grab in blanketed coverage somewhere down field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
at this point, Adams has earned the right to be option 1 on almost every pass. and he's produced.

It was a great catch by Adams, but we see QB's all around the league go to their "go to" WR in big moments every week in those situations too regardless of what other guys are doing on the field. If they see even a glimmer early in a route that their guy is beating the defense, they're going there. I don't think it's unique to Rodgers. It seems every pass downfield by Wilson is to a well covered receiver making a perfect catch. I don't watch the Seahawks much, but whenever I flip them on it seem Locket is making a one handed grab in blanketed coverage somewhere down field.
I wish we had drafted Lockett. Always like to have 1 guy with his type of skill set. I’d be very satisfied with Adams, Lockett, Lazard and Scantling as our WR’s.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question on the beautiful catch in the endzone by Davante. It was a 3rd down play. The coverage on Adams was very good. He was not open in my opinion. Someone else said that there was someone wide open for a really easy first down and a good chunk of yardage. Does anyone know if that was true?

I just watched it again.

Ervin circled out as a check down and had room, could've run for the 1st probably.

No receivers were really open.

12 laid right on target and Adams ran a very good route, high pointed the ball, and made a beauty of catch.

It was on the 2nd and 8. Good time to take a shot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did notice on the next long throw to Adams on the left sideline where he was covered very well by the corner and a safety coming over, (the corner knocked the ball down) that it looked like there was someone crossing the middle a little below who had a couple steps on the defender. But that was MVS I believe. So...

D

Deleted member 6794

Point was why throw an almost impossible completion, when there was an almost guarntee completion option

I fully understood the point of his post but in my opinion it's not a smart one to make considering the play resulted in a touchdown.

As Mondio pointed out correctly it makes sense that Rodgers looks for Adams first on most pass plays.

I don't know about that particular play but that has been the biggest knock against Rodgers for quite some time now.

As mentioned above, Rodgers targeting Adams more than any other receiver on the roster shouldn't be considered an issue by any means.

I did notice on the next long throw to Adams on the left sideline where he was covered very well by the corner and a safety coming over, (the corner knocked the ball down) that it looked like there was someone crossing the middle a little below who had a couple steps on the defender.

Rodgers targeted Adams 12 times vs. the Niners resulting in 10 completions for 173 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 146.5.

Do you really want to complain about a single play where another receiver was supposedly open on one of these plays???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully understood the point of his post but in my opinion it's not a smart one to make considering the play resulted in a touchdown.

As Mondio pointed out correctly it makes sense that Rodgers looks for Adams first on most pass plays.

As mentioned above, Rodgers targeting Adams more than any other receiver on the roster shouldn't be considered an issue by any means.

Rodgers targeted Adams 12 times vs. the Niners resulting in 10 completions for 173 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 146.5.

Do you really want to complain about a single play where another receiver was supposedly open on one of these plays???
Mod hat off.

Not getting into a pissing contest with this. It is a matter of opinion from op. Please dont discredit his opinion (by calling it not smart), its just diff views

But we have hindsight knowing it was a td. This cant be avoided..

Of course Adams should be 1st. That wasnt the debate.

But it was a very low completion percentage option compared to higher percentage (per the op)
Mod hat on

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that was MVS I believe. So...
He's always going to be a difficult target to me. You just don't know what he's going to do and he's done nothing really to ease my mind. he drops the easy routine ones that the good receivers might drop 2,3 times a year he seems to do once a game. He did come back with 2 TD's, 2nd one was pretty nice in working the field. First one was because he's just faster than everyone and it's a skill we can't replace so he's valuable.

But man, big situation if i'm thinking he's 60/40 to catch a ball and Adams has a tough one but is 80-90% to catch it, is it the wrong decision to go there?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's always going to be a difficult target to me. You just don't know what he's going to do and he's done nothing really to ease my mind. he drops the easy routine ones that the good receivers might drop 2,3 times a year he seems to do once a game. He did come back with 2 TD's, 2nd one was pretty nice in working the field. First one was because he's just faster than everyone and it's a skill we can't replace so he's valuable.

But man, big situation if i'm thinking he's 60/40 to catch a ball and Adams has a tough one but is 80-90% to catch it, is it the wrong decision to go there?
Really, just would like ARod to look for the easy 1st down sometimes. Some of those could be 15 yard plays. Nothing to scoff at.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess I should have been more clear for those unable to make the connection. One of the biggest knocks on Rodgers has been overlooking open receivers for shorter but more likely gains in order to go for longer but more unlikely gains. In other words he forces the ball deep rather than taking what is given. This complaint has been registered numerous times regardless of who the intended target was. Often when Adams isn't even playing so he doesn't enter into the equation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, just would like ARod to look for the easy 1st down sometimes. Some of those could be 15 yard plays. Nothing to scoff at.
it's not like he doesn't. Easy crosser to MVS just last game For a 1st down, he dropped it. But he goes downfield to Adams and misses, everyone laments. Goes down field again similar situation maybe 3rd and 5, and TD every rejoices. He's a good QB, take the good with the bad.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has been exceptional at taking what he’s given this year compared to prior years.

On a 4th down you’re probably gonna target your #1 option. Just the way it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers played a nearly flawless game vs. the Niners yet here we are complaining about him not throwing it to supposedly wide open receivers for easy first downs :rolleyes:

One of the biggest knocks on Rodgers has been overlooking open receivers for shorter but more likely gains in order to go for longer but more unlikely gains. In other words he forces the ball deep rather than taking what is given. This complaint has been registered numerous times regardless of who the intended target was. Often when Adams isn't even playing so he doesn't enter into the equation.

There's some truth to it but as Gary mentioned he has been better in that regard this season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never understand fans that pretend that guys they can't see on the screen and don't know what route they're supposed to be running are better options than the best WR in the NFL.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never understand fans that pretend that guys they can't see on the screen and don't know what route they're supposed to be running are better options than the best WR in the NFL.

I wonder if Packer fans of the 1930's complained that Herber threw the ball to Hutson too much.....

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robrei...colts-was-inexplicably-awful/?sh=1891d9582fed

Rodgers hurried his team to the line of scrimmage, called the third down play, and had everyone set with 23 seconds left. Almost inexplicably, though, Rodgers then stood silently, five yards behind center Elgton Jenkins, before finally calling for the ball with 12 seconds left.

Afterwards, Rodgers wasn’t as upset about missing Tonyan — or the faulty clock management — as he was about not throwing more balls to Adams.

“Maybe jamming one into (Adams) there on one of the last two plays might've been a thing a do,” Rodgers said. “But I'll look back on that and hopefully won't rue that too much.”

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
rodgers said during his presser that he hopes he does rue that forced pass to adams with tonyan wide open. let's hope not.

OMG....really? He said what? That's pretty funny how you interpret what he said. :eek:

Go to around the 10 minute mark of his presser.

This long presser if you listen to it, is another impressive snapshot of just how smart Rodgers is. How does he remember each play in such detail?

Rodgers: 'Today gave me a lot of confidence in our guys' (packers.com)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the MVS fumble i retract this statement .

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: I think you meant "I regret creating this thread?" ;)

If Adams is on the field he don’t even go through his progression? He plays so much better without him on the field it’s astounding ? What does one do about this....

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG....really? He said what? That's pretty funny how you interpret what he said. :eek:

Go to around the 10 minute mark of his presser.

This long presser if you listen to it, is another impressive snapshot of just how smart Rodgers is. How does he remember each play in such detail?

Rodgers: 'Today gave me a lot of confidence in our guys' (packers.com)
interpret? lol it's only what he actually said at 10:15 in. it's black and white. no subtle meaning there that leaves anything up to interpretation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
interpret? lol it's only what he actually said at 10:15 in. it's black and white. no subtle meaning there that leaves anything up to interpretation.

You do realize that Davante Adams nickname is "Tae" right?

Listen to it again and compare it with what you said in your post. You came nowhere close to quoting what he "actually said". Correct me if I am wrong, but he is actually almost saying the exact opposite of what you claim he said. I think you are hearing what you want to hear.

rodgers said during his presser that he hopes he does rue that forced pass to adams with tonyan wide open. let's hope not.

I'll help you out:

"maybe jamming one in there to Tae there on one of the last 2 plays might have been, you know might have been the thing to do, but I'll look back at that and hopefully won't rue that too much"

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Listen to it again and compare it with what you said in your post. You came nowhere close to quoting what he "actually said". Correct me if I am wrong, but he is actually almost saying the exact opposite of what you claim he said. I think you are hearing what you want to hear.

I'll help you out:

"maybe jamming one in there to Tae there on one of the last 2 plays might have been, you know might have been the thing to do, but I'll look back at that and hopefully won't rue that too much"
you can't accurately quote what someone else when you only hear what you want to hear.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I'll help you out:

Couldnt that also mean he hopes he doesnt rue the day he jammed it in there to tae?