Why does everyone think the Packers want to sign cast offs?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Now a writer on NFL.com thinks the Packers should take a chance on Clinton Portis. He writes that it would be good insurance in case Starks is false advertising or Grant has lost a step. Wait a minute, if Grant lost a step that would make him similar to....Clinton Portis! These writers have too much time on their hands.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I like the idea of retaining the team the Packers have and building through the draft. Forget about broken down veterans from other teams.

L

Lunchboxer

Why...

Why do we need him. Its the same thing that happen to Marchall Lynch.

We are Getting Grant Back and we got depth at RB with Starks. Grant and Starks would make a great Combo.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people always get excited by teams cutting players that were great in their prime. Some players are casualties of cap issues but a lot of times the players are just not that good anymore.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Portis has mad skills, I'll give him that, but isn't he getting a bit older? The Pack has a lot of fresh young talent in that position (Starks!) and we have Grant as our veteran.

Rumors such as these always start flying when the draft is coming up. LOL!

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I like the idea of retaining the team the Packers have and building through the draft. Forget about broken down veterans from other teams.

Ding ding ding.

The Pack will run what they brung this coming year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any player who once was good and has a recognizable name, when he becomes available, somewhere someone will start a thread wondering if we should pick him up.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is Portis is a free agent, whereas Lynch wasn't.

With Starks and Grant on the fold, regardless of injury history, the Packers will stay put. They might add a 3rd down back if Jackson leaves, but Portis isn't a 3rd down back.

If something would happen to one of them, then I absolutely could see us signing Portis, and it would be a good move.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't anything wrong with taking a look at cast off players from other teams, Just look at Woodson and Picket, both former first round guys that looked like they were at the end of their careers,

That said, I think there are a couple of positions that one should very very VERY rarely look at when guys come up. Running Back is one of them, Wide Receiver is another

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regards to looking at cast off players from other teams, I think sometimes we like to play "mock" draft or consider hypothetical situations to try and see how different players would fit into the Packers scheme. We all want to try and make this team better.

Croak, I think you nailed it with saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." That's my philosophy too! To me, this team is perfect just the way they are, I want to think we need no one. But still it doesn't hurt to shop around and consider things in the interest of bettering the team.

Or you can just view it as things we do to keep ourselves entertained in the off season! :)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Now a writer on NFL.com thinks the Packers should take a chance on Clinton Portis.

Because they have to make their living somehow? I mean was Green Bay the only place mentioned? No! They just look at the position and look for teams that could use some help at that position. I mean face it, the Packers running game pretty much sucked last year. But will an old, possibly broken down running back fix it? I doubt it. Be a lot cheaper taking a chance of picking one up in the draft.

jza80dreams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Marshawn Lynch...
and Marion Barber...
and then DeAngelo Williams...

more than likely our 3rd back is probably going to be Dimitri Nance or a rookie, i mean.... see what New Orleans got out of Chris Ivory?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its just a case of a national writer not knowing all the teams very well imo

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
rb is the one position u would rather have a fresh new guy than an experienced veteran. rbs start at the top and peak in their second or third year

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing on a contender can brush you back youth days for few years. Woodson for the Packers, Sharper for the Saints, LT for a portion of this year with the Jets. Some teams are optimistic with a support cast, veterans will be comfortable like their golden years. Plus most play on reduced salary so risk of busting isn't as concerned. Veteran leadership is welcome on any team.

Pigpenster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Portis=Good

Redskins OL=Major league suckage

But with that being said I still don't think we should get/need Portis.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah... it is and it's almost expected. That's what these discussion forums are all about. Go Pack!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This is why I don't read anything on NFL.com

After last year's Super Bowl, they wrote a dozen articles defending Manning's interception that blew the game

Not a shock they are still saying how we didn't have a running game, even though we were pretty high on rushing yards through out the playoffs.

Clinton Portis is washed up and done. No need for him.

Members online

Latest posts