Who's The Biggest Threat The Packers Must Contend With To Get A #1 NFC Seed?

Who's The Biggest Threat The Packers Must Contend With To Get A #1 NFC Seed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I'm always worried about Falcons. Despite their injury ridden Defence, it could easily be a trap game.

Their offense has also stunk to high heaven, and they don't have a shot at winning if Julio doesn't return.

I mean come on!!! This isn't the all powerful 2016 Atlanta Falcons anymore. That Shanahan (and LaFleur offense for that matter) is long gone.

Dirk Koetter is hot garbage with his play calling, and bringing him back to ATL is just one of many fireable offenses Dan Quinn has committed this season. This game is going to be over by halftime and ATL firing everyone afterwards.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the answer to this question is the 49ers. They're banged up right now, but they are far and away the best coached team on this list, and we all know they're talented.

The Seahawks have an amazing QB, but their defense sucks. They're always going to be dangerous, but the team that always has to win in a shootout is definitely not the toughest out in the NFC.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think the answer to this question is the 49ers. They're banged up right now, but they are far and away the best coached team on this list, and we all know they're talented.

The Seahawks have an amazing QB, but their defense sucks. They're always going to be dangerous, but the team that always has to win in a shootout is definitely not the toughest out in the NFC.
As well as the Packers are playing, I'd still be nervous as hell to have to go to the 49ers for another playoff game. Hopefully this time around it'll be at Lambeau if it comes down to it.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the 49ers are banged up pretty good now with two major players out for the year. By the time they get reasonably healthy, it'll be too late for them to catch Seattle for the division and they will have to play on the road come January.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The West is going to beat each other up to much to win the 1 seed (honestly not sure why anyone in their right mind thinks the 49ers are going to be in contention for the one seed given their injuries and playing in the West but people like to conflate topics) and Dallas is probably the best team in the East so no worries there. That's why going effectively a 3 games up on the Saints was huge.

So honestly probably Tampa cause if the Saints are able to pass us it would mean it was because we fell back and weren't in contention for the top seed anymore anyways

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A healthy 9ers squad. Though, without Bosa I dunno. I think we're right up there as the team most don't want to play.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They shouldn't.
They do seem overrated having not played a team with winning record yet, but I'll reserve judgement for another couple weeks. Cohen is out too for them. Give Foles some time to see what he does.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being this early in the season, I'm going to stick with my tier 1 picks. In no particular order, Packers, Saints, Seahawks, Cowboys, 49ers. I was tempted to keep the eagles in there, but just too many season ending injuries.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Us and Hawks are on top now.
When Thomas is back, Saints will be in the reckoning.
Can't really write the 49ers off. Shanahan is a wiley guy and despite injuries, they'll be hovering just about there. Dark horse.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks and 49ers have to be the favorites for the top spots in the NFC; Packers probably in the second-tier right now with the Saints and Cowboys...though the defense is becoming a concern.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're better than we were last year, why are the seahawks a tier above? They aren't better. as bad as our defense is, what's there's? Beating them in the post season last year wasn't a fluke. I'd expect the same if we played tomorrow.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seahawks and 49ers have to be the favorites for the top spots in the NFC; Packers probably in the second-tier right now with the Saints and Cowboys...though the defense is becoming a concern.

Why in the world would the Seahawks be considered a tier above the Packers? Both offenses have been on fire, and their defense has actually been worse than Green Bay's.

Packers have scored more points, given up one less, played one less game at home, and are +37 to the Seahawks' +25.

I'd maybe understand giving Seattle the benefit of the doubt if they were the better team in 2019, but they were definitively worse than Green Bay last year too.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What are the chances that Gute looks at where the Packers are at around the trade deadline and makes a move to acquire another difference maker at a position of need? And if so, what would you prefer? Another d-lineman? Playmaking receiver?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances that Gute looks at where the Packers are at around the trade deadline and makes a move to acquire another difference maker at a position of need? And if so, what would you prefer? Another d-lineman? Playmaking receiver?

Unless there's an emergency situation that comes up due to injury, I don't think it'll happen. I don't discount it though, as I've seen reports where they've been active talking to players. For example, it appears they made an offer to Snacks Harrison, reported to be more than other interested parties were offering, but Harrison doesn't want to play in the cold in Green Bay due to his knees.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

At this moment, I think a second level defender is the biggest need— a linebacker or a safety who can play a dime LB role.

I would also love a gadgety WR who could be used in the screen game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world would the Seahawks be considered a tier above the Packers? Both offenses have been on fire, and their defense has actually been worse than Green Bay's.

Packers have scored more points, given up one less, played one less game at home, and are +37 to the Seahawks' +25.

I'd maybe understand giving Seattle the benefit of the doubt if they were the better team in 2019, but they were definitively worse than Green Bay last year too.

I just happen to think that they have more weapons on offense, have one of the few QBs in the NFL playing on the same level of Rodgers, and a coach with a history of doing well. MLF may well prove he's as good a coach as Carroll but I'm not putting him there just yet. Basically, I trust the Seahawks offense more than the Packers; while I believe the Packers offense is really good, I'm not willing to crown them elite just yet after two games against teams with secondaries among the worst in the NFL (Seahawks haven't played much harder but the Patriots should be a better defense than anything the Packers have played yet).

If everyone on the board was being honest, the REAL threat to the Packers in the NFC is injuries.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just happen to think that they have more weapons on offense, have one of the few QBs in the NFL playing on the same level of Rodgers, and a coach with a history of doing well. MLF may well prove he's as good a coach as Carroll but I'm not putting him there just yet. Basically, I trust the Seahawks offense more than the Packers; while I believe the Packers offense is really good, I'm not willing to crown them elite just yet after two games against teams with secondaries among the worst in the NFL (Seahawks haven't played much harder but the Patriots should be a better defense than anything the Packers have played yet).

If everyone on the board was being honest, the REAL threat to the Packers in the NFC is injuries.

Petals is a better coach than Carroll. Carroll is a defensive coach whose defense sucks and he's historically completely held back his offense by neutering his superstar QB.

That said, the first two points are fair.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do seem overrated having not played a team with winning record yet, but I'll reserve judgement for another couple weeks. Cohen is out too for them. Give Foles some time to see what he does.

I've got the Colts whipping them 31-17 on Sunday

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got the Colts whipping them 31-17 on Sunday

I got single bets on Houston, NO and Indy on the spread and I even have a 3 team parlay going between them.

I have very little respect for the rest of the NFCN this year (and this week especially) in case you couldn't tell

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And someone rated the predictions optimistic, but I'd say they're pretty realistic.

Colts aren't some cheezyass garbage team like the Lions, Giants or Falcons. Bears actually have to play against a real team this Sunday, and I truly believe they get smacked hard with reality.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I got single bets on Houston, NO and Indy on the spread and I even have a 3 team parlay going between them.

I have very little respect for the rest of the NFCN this year (and this week especially) in case you couldn't tell

I agree. The rest of the division is down this year.

The Vikings lost a ton in the offseason. Anyone who didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention. I think they'll pull it together and finished with 7 or 8 wins, but they are not a serious threat for the division.

The Lions made lots of moves, but they were all lateral (i.e. everything they added was just replacing something comparable that they lost). So they signed Collins, but let Kennard go. They added Okudah, but only after trading Slay. They signed Vaitai, but only after releasing Wagner. They signed Shelton and Williams, but only after letting their interior DL (who were better) walk. Obviously having Stafford back helps a lot, but not enough to make them more than a middling team.

The Bears have three one score victories (4 points in each contest) against three lousy opponents. They've already had to bench Trubisky. People think they might make some noise with Foles, but here's the thing-- Foles couldn't beat Trubisky for the starting job. And here's the other thing-- he's not good. He threw one pick and the Falcons should have had another one. And that's against the league's worst defense. Indy is going to expose them tomorrow.

My preseason bold prediction was that every GM/HC duo in the division other than Gute/Petals would be shown the door by season's end. It was always a long shot, and still is, but I'm feeling OK about it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And someone rated the predictions optimistic, but I'd say they're pretty realistic.

Colts aren't some cheezyass garbage team like the Lions, Giants or Falcons. Bears actually have to play against a real team this Sunday, and I truly believe they get smacked hard with reality.

Yeah I'm not just placing bets because I'm simply optimistic. You go broke doing that. I'm not giving more then 4 points in any of those games (only -3 with Indy) and quite honestly I don't see any of the 3 games being decided by less then a TD.

NO is a desperate team going against a Lions team that simply isn't as talented as them

Houston like Minnesota is 0-3 but ******** was that murders row for them to start out the year and much like the above mentioned game they're simply more talented.

You nailed my feelings on Indy/Chi game

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I rated it optimistic merely because I never like people bad mouthing our division. Yes, there is rivalry. Yes, I want to win. But I also don't want to disregard teams in my own division. But I certainly doubt that Indy is some kind of lock. People call Cousins trash. Hell, people on this forum call so many players trash that I just think it is ridiculous imho. They are professional teams and players. And some individual players have great games and then some bad ones and they are trash. I think a lot of people get blown with the wind. I don't respect that alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts