Who Packer fans should root for in bye week?

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We currently sit at 3-2–1 and in the 6th seed. In order to keep pace/move up in NFC, who should we be rooting for in Week 6?

Obviously for NFC north (and potential wildcard positioning):

Patriots over Bears
Jets over Vikings
Dolphins over Lions.

For wildcard positioning/implications, we will want:

Browns over Buccs
Ravens over Saints
Probably Giants over Falcons on Monday night (Since Falcons record currently pose more of a threat)
And yeah, I guess 49ers over Rams.

but what about these two:

Panthers @ Eagles: Eagles are currently 3-3 and a 10th seed. Panthers are 3-2 and a 5th seed. Do we root for Eagles to fall further back for cushion or Panthers to fall 1 game behind us?

Dallas @Washington: Dallas is currently 3-3 and a 9th seed. Washington is 3-2 and a 3rd seed with a victory over us. Do we want Dallas to fall further behind us for cushion or root for Dallas to win, take control of their division and Washington to fall a game behind us?

And yes, I know it’s early to talk playoffs, and yes I know we need to play better, but part of the fun is trying to move up and football season is too short...so I’m enjoying all of it!

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously I'm rooting for NFC North teams to lose as well as AFC teams beating opponents from the NFC. There are some games in which it's impossible to know which one to support as it's too early in the season to know which result could end up benefitting the Packers.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously I'm rooting for NFC North teams to lose as well as AFC teams beating opponents from the NFC. There are some games in which it's impossible to know which one to support as it's too early in the season to know which result could end up benefitting the Packers.
I agree with your first sentence, but as far as being too early, I'm rooting AGAINST Dallas, Panthers and Falcons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with your first sentence, but as far as being too early, I'm rooting AGAINST Dallas, Panthers and Falcons.

I agree about rooting for the Giants vs. the Falcons. Not sure about the two other games though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just root for all AFC East teams against NFC North as that's most key right now

I can see I'll be bouncing around channels in this early slot trying to decide if I want to see Brady go off on a tear in Soldier Field, Osweiler work some magic against the Lions, or Cousins hopefully choke in the Meadowlands.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never, well, almost never and especially not this early in the season, root for the cowboys. With that in hand I will probably be rooting for the Eagles just because it will put a bigger hurt on the cowboys and make it more difficult for them to win the division.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. I wanna see Minnesota lose for obvious reasons, but I still hope Sam Darnold plays like crap. I don't like him solely because of Cowherd

Well, maybe Packer fans should start watching more sports shows with objective analysts instead of comedy actors like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd. It amazes me people don't understand certain shows are hosted by glorified troll hosts.

So sorry, I won't be listening to anything Cowherd says and will hope that the Vike defense gets carved up by Darnold and Robby Anderson.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always want the division teams to lose unless they are out of it. Although at times I do like to see our division do well. And as much as the Bears are a rivalry...I would like to see them kick NE butt … and then lose. On like a kick return or something.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if this gets nothing but the red disagreement X or whatever anyone else says because nothing can change my mind on the following:
I cannot, just cannot ever, ever, ever bring myself to root for The Cheatriots over any other team no matter what. I just can't.
I really hate cheaters that much and I am convinced that they still cheat and get away with it.

Besides with the way our season is going, does it matter?
It shows how bad we are when one is thinking this way.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if this gets nothing but the red disagreement X or whatever anyone else says because nothing can change my mind on the following:
I cannot, just cannot ever, ever, ever bring myself to root for The Cheatriots over any other team no matter what. I just can't.
I really hate cheaters that much and I am convinced that they still cheat and get away with it.

You certainly have a point. And I don't disagree wholeheartedly. But the first thing is to win the division. And they are the Bears.

Reaction score
Well. In order of preference. I want the Bears to lose
Then if The Vikes also lose we’re in first place
I’m not as concerned with the Lions this week they suck :poop:

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hypothetically. Its the last game of the season. Bears/Patriots. Patriots win Packers win the division Bears win Packers are out. Who you rooting for? I know, I know, the Bears ... but really?

I only ask because timing is important, or rather may be important depending on the strength of your convictions. If the Bears were playing the vikings now and the records in the North were the same as they are now or even if the vikings were a game behind or in last place at 0-6 (one can dream) and the Bears were 6-0 I would be rooting for the Bears. Its too early in the season to be rooting for the vikings. When they play again in weeks 15,16 or 17 I may have to bite the bullet and root for the vikings depending on the standings but it is a very rare occurrence that I will root for the vikings.

Your point about does it really matter is well taken though. Its not like it is week 17 and they need help to get in. The Packers control their own destiny as far as the division goes so all this talk about needing help is unwarranted :whistling:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well. In order of preference. I want the Bears to lose
Then if The Vikes also lose we’re in first place
I’m not as concerned with the Lions this week they suck :poop:

They might suck at the moment, but I'd like to make sure it stays that way, so yes I'm going to hope Osweiler rolls through em tomorrow.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And this might get me a red X, but I really think this Pats cheat stuff is overblown. Bellichek will go down in history as the coach who was always thinking ahead of the curve. Only a few coaches like Dungy, Coughlin and most recently Pederson understood you had to beat him at his own game to beat him in the big ones.

Now I know, that tuck rule game probably went the wrong way on the call, but unless you're a hardcore NFL conspiracy theorist, there was no cheating involved there, just a bad call like the ones we get today.

Now spygate, well on that one yes, that was something that should not have been going on. Now to be fair, some in-depth investigations were done on it and most of the time it was found that it really didn't help them the way it was supposed to. But still, yeah I'll grant this was an incident that will forever remain a black eye on the franchise.

Deflate gate though, no I'm sorry but you will never convince me that anything giving the Pats an edge happened here. Only thing happening here was a big old nothing burger turned into a bigger event than a nuclear summit by a league commissioner with a big fat corrupt agenda.

Think the biggest problem with the Pats is that they've just had too many ratchet fans and bandwagon people in the Brady era. I can understand being against them for that, but I really don't buy all these cheat stories.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh, it has nothing to do with being bad or good. I do this every season. If we are back a couple games, I root against those ahead. If we are undefeated, I root against those directly behind us for cushion. (It’s fun for me, anyway)

D

Deleted member 6794

Although at times I do like to see our division do well.

I definitely don't want division rivals to be doing well as them struggling improves the Packers chances of winning the NFC North.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this might get me a red X, but I really think this Pats cheat stuff is overblown. Bellichek will go down in history as the coach who was always thinking ahead of the curve. Only a few coaches like Dungy, Coughlin and most recently Pederson understood you had to beat him at his own game to beat him in the big ones.

Now I know, that tuck rule game probably went the wrong way on the call, but unless you're a hardcore NFL conspiracy theorist, there was no cheating involved there, just a bad call like the ones we get today.

Now spygate, well on that one yes, that was something that should not have been going on. Now to be fair, some in-depth investigations were done on it and most of the time it was found that it really didn't help them the way it was supposed to. But still, yeah I'll grant this was an incident that will forever remain a black eye on the franchise.

Deflate gate though, no I'm sorry but you will never convince me that anything giving the Pats an edge happened here. Only thing happening here was a big old nothing burger turned into a bigger event than a nuclear summit by a league commissioner with a big fat corrupt agenda.

Think the biggest problem with the Pats is that they've just had too many ratchet fans and bandwagon people in the Brady era. I can understand being against them for that, but I really don't buy all these cheat stories.

No red X from me. I also believe that 90% of the fans calling them cheaters would have no problem justifying it if it was their team and coach and QB who did the same things. Winning makes fans of other teams hate you and that is what the Patriots, BB and Tom Brady are going through now. I'd bet that if the Browns had done the exact same thing over the years not nearly as many people would care.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want division rivals to be doing well as them struggling improves the Packers chances of winning the NFC North.

I never want the vikings to win. Well, almost never. The Lions, I don't really care but for the most part I'd rather have them lose for the reason you just said. As for the Bears, its pretty much the same as the Lions except it wouldn't really have bothered me at all if they had beaten the Patriots today. I'd rather have them lose but I don't mind it so much when they win unless it has a direct negative impact on the Packers. First of all it because they are the Patriots and I really am tired of them winning. Second it would only be a 1 game lead and with the vikings winning I'd rather see another team in the division keeping pace with them if it can't be the Packers. Third if the Packers can't overcome a 1 game lead they don't deserve to win the division. Finally I don't mind the Bears at all. I respect them and the role they have played in the history of the game. In fact if it wasn't for the fact I am surrounded by Bears fans and some of them can be insufferable I wouldn't mind them making the SB if the Packers can't do it. Still, I am glad they lost because of what you said but my attitude is obviously way different the most Packer fans when it comes to the Bears. My Bears fans friends all hate the Packers and they don't like it that I don't hate the Bears because they can't rub it in when the Bears win and the Packers lose.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never want the vikings to win. Well, almost never. The Lions, I don't really care but for the most part I'd rather have them lose for the reason you just said. As for the Bears, its pretty much the same as the Lions except it wouldn't really have bothered me at all if they had beaten the Patriots today. I'd rather have them lose but I don't mind it so much when they win unless it has a direct negative impact on the Packers.

You don't know that the Bears having beaten the Patriots wouldn't have had any negative impact on the Packers down the road this season. It's guaranteed the Patriots winning won't affect Green Bay's chances of making the playoffs though.

Therefore I'm always rooting for AFC teams playing ones from the NFC, even if I don't like the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know that the Bears having beaten the Patriots wouldn't have had any negative impact on the Packers down the road this season. It's guaranteed the Patriots winning won't affect Green Bay's chances of making the playoffs though.

Therefore I'm always rooting for AFC teams playing ones from the NFC, even if I don't like the franchise.

I get that and your approach is certainly the logical one. Its just that its a long season and for me its too early to get too hung up on early season wins and losses even though every one matters.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is something about them that rubs me the wrong way and I can't help but have this level of mistrust which leads me to feel like or just IMO that they still cheat to win.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is something about them that rubs me the wrong way and I can't help but have this level of mistrust which leads me to feel like or just IMO that they still cheat to win.

I certainly don't need them to win another SB, and hell I don't even want them in one unless Rodgers is on the other end beating them in a shootout taking home the GOAT award and forces Brady's retirement. But there has been almost no evidence outside of spygate that they cheat to win football games.

Reaction score

I feel this way about Dallas. They didn't cheat or anything, I just HATE them. I wish for them to go 0-16 every year.