Who do we re-sign

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Guin over Raji. He'said younger has better stamina and plays the NT position well and will likely be cheaper. Hayward can leave. He stopped making plays and now is showing that he will likely never be much more than mediocre. Pack needs Neal for depth and should be redigned. Perry can also leave. While he flashes a good game every now and then he's often hurt or disappears. I would resign Starks and draft another RB in the lower rounds for competition. I would resign Tolzien for the minimum. If Hundley keeps getting better, signing Tolzien for anything less than the minimum don't make sense.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm just not seeing what Raji did this season that makes him such a vital re-sign. Statistically, he barely exceeded his 2013 season, offering little more there at NT than he did at DE. 22 tackles, half a sack. Not sure how the advanced stats looked for him. Any predictions this year that he would ball out with his position change pretty much failed.

Before you argue that Raji's position doesn't put him in a position to make many marks on the stat sheet, one of the whole points of the position change this year was to allow him to make more plays.

I also don't think you can argue that Raji makes anyone around him better as most of the guys around him were pretty much identical to what they were when he was there. The effect on our run D this year was almost non existant, we went from 23rd to 21st and actually got worse in YPC going from 4.3 to 4.5.

I'm more than happy to hear arguments for Raji but if it's simply that it would create a hole to let him walk, that's not very sound reasoning to give a guy a big contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our corner depth I very much doubt Hayward is re-signed.
I think he's in a similar situation as House was this year, though I don't know if he has as much value as a starter on the outside so he probably would be looking at a similar or slightly lower contract from somewhere else. He's one of those I would not be surprised if we re-signed him, or if he went somewhere else. We have Corner depth, but we also seem to rotate a lot of them in and out thru the year with injury too.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is one of our guys. We are invested in him. But he has to realize he isn't playing better than shields or Randall. Rollins is at par with him imo. And Gunter is an interesting prospect on the cheap. If he wants to keep playing here, Hayward is going to have to show a little humility and keep working hard. Or be thrown to the wolves on another new team...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is one of our guys. We are invested in him. But he has to realize he isn't playing better than shields or Randall. Rollins is at par with him imo. And Gunter is an interesting prospect on the cheap. If he wants to keep playing here, Hayward is going to have to show a little humility and keep working hard. Or be thrown to the wolves on another new team...

I'll put money that he's going to be willing to get thrown to the wolves. He's about to get PAID..... Most likely by some other team but paid non the less

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter's flashes have been mainly limited to preseason, but when given some snaps last week I thought he played very well. The 3rd down breakup on Garcon was a key play for us.

I admittedly know nothing about Robertson Daniel. However, 2 things of note - 1) They made the somewhat rare move of plucking him off another team's practice squad initially 2) They promoted him with other needs, give a strong indication that they're pretty high on him as a prospect.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood the desire of some fans to resign most, if not all, of their team's free agents. Because they were here before? If they were part of a group that hasn't been good enough to get over the hump, why bring them all back?
There are no impact players on this list. With the possible exception of Crosby- because if he's not replaced well enough it could cost you a couple of games- all of these guys are very replaceable.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 2015 season winding down, thoughts will soon turn towards 2016. As always, lots of decisions in regards to our own players , who to keep and who to say good bye to?

Put on your GM hats (something rarely done here) and let everyone know your thoughts. Remember, we will all be coming back here in a year to chastise your picks. :coffee:

PACKERS FREE AGENTS IN 2016
(Pos., player, 2015 salary); M = million

UNRESTRICTED
OLB Mike Neal, $4.25M

K Mason Crosby, $3.55M

S Sean Richardson, $2.56M

LE Letroy Guion, $2.48M

OLB Nick Perry, $2.39M

RB James Starks, $1.84M

NT BJ Raji, $1.81M

TE A. Quarless, $1.75M

RT Don Barclay, $1.55M

QB Scott Tolzien, $1.20M

CB Casey Hayward, $1.06M

LS Brett Goode, $976,250

FB John Kuhn, $635,000

WR James Jones, $585,000

RESTRICTED
G Lane Taylor, $593,184

OLB A. Mulumba, $592,518

S Chris Banjo, $590,655

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS
TE Justin Perillo, $360,000

More free agents than we have had in ages. Perry, Quarless, Barclay, Goode can go for sure. Perry started to show something but for his first 3 years he was not worth the price. We might keep Jones if we don't find anyone to complement Nelson. We'll need some cash if we are going to sign a free agent and a top draft choice to fill our weak areas. TE and OT depth? West coast offense has to have receivers who can get YAC. But before they can do that they have to get open and make the catch.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Crosby back, but he's far more average than people think. As good as he was this year it was STILL only 15th in the NFL in accuracy. If his price is $4M a season which it probably will be, I'd pass.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm comfortable with crosby. I'm not comfortable with a rookie or a guy who couldn't make another team... If cap becomes an issue. Then maybe. But gb has a great chance to be playing for championships every year til rodgers retired. Do you really want to start over looking for a reliable kicker?

Reaction score
I guess I'm just not seeing what Raji did this season that makes him such a vital re-sign. Statistically, he barely exceeded his 2013 season, offering little more there at NT than he did at DE. 22 tackles, half a sack. Not sure how the advanced stats looked for him. Any predictions this year that he would ball out with his position change pretty much failed.

Before you argue that Raji's position doesn't put him in a position to make many marks on the stat sheet, one of the whole points of the position change this year was to allow him to make more plays.

I also don't think you can argue that Raji makes anyone around him better as most of the guys around him were pretty much identical to what they were when he was there. The effect on our run D this year was almost non existant, we went from 23rd to 21st and actually got worse in YPC going from 4.3 to 4.5.

I'm more than happy to hear arguments for Raji but if it's simply that it would create a hole to let him walk, that's not very sound reasoning to give a guy a big contract.
Bring back the Gravedigger! :tup:

Oh wait..he's 44

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've kind of been dissapointed with Raji's play again this year, though I'm not really sure what to make of it all. I get there's not a less stat-glamorous spot than a 3-4 NT, but sometimes we go games without hearing his name called.

I'm also sure there's also something to be said for just being plain "big" and opppsing teams having to move him away in the run game but Washington appeared to gash us up the middle in the run game and when was the last time you saw Raji get off a block to make a tackle? I've seen guys like Dontari Poe, even Mike Pennel earlier this year shed his lineman like a rag doll to make a play. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO, Raji and the NT Position is one I leave up to TT and the coaching staff. It's really hard to say "wow, he is awesome in there", but equally difficult to say "the guy isn't doing his job". I think they have a better sense of his value then I would. Of course that can be said about all the players, but some are more obvious then others.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've kind of been dissapointed with Raji's play again this year, though I'm not really sure what to make of it all. I get there's not a less stat-glamorous spot than a 3-4 NT, but sometimes we go games without hearing his name called.

I'm also sure there's also something to be said for just being plain "big" and opppsing teams having to move him away in the run game but Washington appeared to gash us up the middle in the run game and when was the last time you saw Raji get off a block to make a tackle? I've seen guys like Dontari Poe, even Mike Pennel earlier this year shed his lineman like a rag doll to make a play. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Agree with everything you said. I think he's just flat out overrated. I don't expect him to put up huge numbers but when Pennel is doing just as much or more with many less snaps, the excuses for Raji kind of run out. He's playing the exact same role as he was in 2010 when he put up really nice numbers, so I'm not sure why people think he can't put up numbers from his position.

I think people still have visions of 2010 Raji, when in reality he hasn't come close to being that guy since. ..2010. I couldn't begin to tell you why people think he's had a nice rebound year. He sure came a lot closer to his 2013 form this year than 2010.

I think it'd be an overpay to give him any more than what he made this year. If we make the same mistake with him as we have in the past with guys like Hawk and Brad Jones I'll be very disappointed.

Reaction score
I'm keeping Neal, Crosby, Kuhn and probably Starks (though I'm not as high on him as I was this time last year).

I'd like to keep Perry and Hayward but I suspect other teams will be willing to give them more money.

I'm not sure about Jones. He can be a good weapon but Janis and Abbrederis outshone him by a long way last night. May as well keep him around for camp I guess.