Who do we re-sign

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Once again, I don´t disagree with you. I´m not convinced a rookie wouldn´t be able to provide similar numbers, especially one that is used to catching balls.

I agree with you as well, we "could" get lucky and find a rookie in the draft that could replicate what Starks does, but the likely hood of that IMO isn't very good, unless TT wants to grab a RB with a high pick and even that doesn't guarantee you much.

I just don't think Starks is going to command a big salary, he will want to stay in GB and should. We have so many other positions of need in the draft, why waste a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th on RB? My opinion of course.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not really, slow overall... He's actually quite fast top end. Just for some reason takes him longer than most to get there.
It's the drag caused by the hoodie that slows him down, but that hoodie also provides defenders with a hypnotic distraction "WTF is that old man wearing a hoodie?"

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really, slow overall... He's actually quite fast top end. Just for some reason takes him longer than most to get there.
I'll have to take more looks at him during games. I feel like when I see a replay of him running his routes, I'm looking at an old man.

Still love JJ though, and would have no problem with him staying another year. Great teammate and tends to get open for those TDs.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's a question....."Let's just say that JJ has his back turned as a pass comes his way, and by some miracle it lands and sticks in his hoodie, is it a catch?" Does he have to reach back and control the ball or can he just run right into the endzone with the ball in his hoodie? :coffee:

I might have to send this one in to Mike Pereira.

Last edited:

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB Mike Neal, $4.25M
K Mason Crosby, $3.55M
LE Letroy Guion, $2.48M
OLB Nick Perry, $2.39M
RB James Starks, $1.84M
CB Casey Hayward, $1.06M
WR James Jones, $585,000

And get rid of R. Rodgers......Wait, is that not an option?

Seriously though, for the money Hayward needs to stay on. He has played well with all the injuries and it will most likely happen again next year. Same for JJ. You also can't guarantee we could just draft a RB and he could fill in for what Starks provides. If that was the case Franklin, Green, or anyone else would have been in there by now.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy, Cobb, Jones, Adams, Montgomery, Abby, insert name of stud rookie......just enough talent to have an odd man out barring injury.

that list of names is to die for. that is some fking depth right there that we could put fear in any team with those receivers and rodger firing bulleyes. damnit just thinking if some of those guys weren't hurt what our season would be like. going into this game would be so damn reassuring. we will still win.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vrill I don't know what you deal is bud, but I don't know how you can disagree with all my post when they state facts.

Nah, just saying when he said "Plus could you imagine packages with Nelson, Cobb, and Jones at the same time? I get goosebumps lol."

Yes, I can imagine it... Because it has already happened. Was a good year, just saying not something that would be new.

So this one 2012 stats:

18 Randall Cobb WR 954 yards
89 James Jones WR 784 yards
87 Jordy Nelson7 WR 745 yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2012.htm

And here is showing JJ's tops speed.... as he reaches 21.23 MPH and outruns a safety.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...es-Jones/26fcba56-eab9-48c9-ab3b-77fcf1b5494a

Just clicking disagree on every one of my post without a reply doesn't make you correct. Just makes you look salty.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not going to call any posters out and I don't really care about ratings, but it is funny when someone "splats you with a red X" but doesn't take the time to tell you why they disagree. I guess a healthy "debate" starts with "I disagree with you and here is why". Not "you are wrong because i say so".

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to call any posters out and I don't really care about ratings, but it is funny when someone "splats you with a red X" but doesn't take the time to tell you why they disagree. I guess a healthy "debate" starts with "I disagree with you and here is why". Not "you are wrong because i say so".

I completely agree, nothing wrong with having different viewpoints... But "Here take my red X" doesn't even tell me if he just dislikes me or disagree's... I'm confused.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that list of names is to die for. that is some fking depth right there that we could put fear in any team with those receivers and rodger firing bulleyes. damnit just thinking if some of those guys weren't hurt what our season would be like. going into this game would be so damn reassuring. we will still win.

From the dark side:

1. Will Jordy be the pre-injury Jordy?
2. If not, Cobb has been shown this year to be pretty mundane, roughly 5/50 per game
3. The Adams of the second half of last year and the Washington game, sure. The Adams of the rest of this year, not so much.
4. Montgomery is a injured rookie with a six-game resume, during which he was about half as productive as Cobb, see (2) above.
5. Abby, including the playoffs, has 11 receptions this year.
6. Unnamed stud rookie - is that before or after they look for an ILB, a LT, or a TE?

Just saying that if I'm not blown away by that collection of receivers, I doubt if professional opponents will be, either.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB Mike Neal, $4.25M
K Mason Crosby, $3.55M
LE Letroy Guion, $2.48M
OLB Nick Perry, $2.39M
RB James Starks, $1.84M
CB Casey Hayward, $1.06M
WR James Jones, $585,000

And get rid of R. Rodgers......Wait, is that not an option?

Seriously though, for the money Hayward needs to stay on. He has played well with all the injuries and it will most likely happen again next year. Same for JJ. You also can't guarantee we could just draft a RB and he could fill in for what Starks provides. If that was the case Franklin, Green, or anyone else would have been in there by now.

I'm (honestly) confused. Those are the numbers for this year. When you say something like the bold, are you assuming he could be signed for the same amount?

Maybe Starks and Jones (from a subpar offense, age, scheme, et. al.) could come back at or close. The defenders I would hazard will be looking for a lot more, and all they need is one GM who thinks they're worth it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just saying that if I'm not blown away by that collection of receivers, I doubt if professional opponents will be, either.

True, there are quite a few unknowns with WR, as we found out this year. What looked to be a super strong position, folded up like a cheap tent with the loss of Jordy. One would hope that Jordy is back 100% as the Jordy of old and this will make the entire offense better as well as the other receivers. I penciled in "Stud Rookie", because all teams have a "stud rookie WR" that the team is high on. Will TT draft one ahead of other position of needs, well if he reads your post, he better LOL

The WR position is going to be an interesting off season study and one where TT might be wise to look FA if his evaluations fall close to where HE's show they could fall.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question....."Let's just say that JJ has his back turned as a pass comes his way, and by some miracle it lands and sticks in his hoodie, is it a catch?" Does he have to reach back and control the ball or can he just run right into the endzone with the ball in his hoodie? :coffee:

I might have to send this one into Mike Pereira.

didn't a peewee player catch a football with his mask and kept running?
From the dark side:

2. If not, Cobb has been shown this year to be pretty mundane, roughly 5/50 per game
3. The Adams of the second half of last year and the Washington game, sure. The Adams of the rest of this year, not so much.
4. Montgomery is a injured rookie with a six-game resume, during which he was about half as productive as Cobb, see (2) above.
6. Unnamed stud rookie - is that before or after they look for an ILB, a LT, or a TE?

which is probably the main reason why our O is suffering. receivers have been dismal most of the year. losing your best receiver, just ask patriots, really does have an affect on a team. not to say it's the only reason we suffered but we did get a blow with nelson out. cobb tried to feel many roles which I believe contributed to his lackluster year. Playing running back , playing outside, and being a slot i'm sure your shoulders would feel pretty damn heavy, especially when some of the receivers don't perform to expectations.

with nelson, mont, cobb, adams(IF he gets it together), with jones and abby into the rotation, how can you not have confidence as a QB? once again we will be among the favorites next year, especially when we win the SB.
now as for the running game, that is what i'm concerned about next year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In short these back: Neal**, Crosby, Perry, Starks, Raji, Hayward, Jones, Kuhn, Banjo, Taylor, Perillo

UNRESTRICTED
OLB Mike Neal, $4.25M - **I could see a scenario where someone offers him more than we're willing to do...but I think he's proven preference by staff and we will do what we can to have him back.

K Mason Crosby, $3.55M - He's become reliable...and doubt he's gonna find a job elsewhere, I say keep and price won't be bad.

S Sean Richardson, $2.56M - I like Richardson and Banjo equal...one stays one goes in my opinion and Banjo has made his presence felt on ST and I think will garner less both make me think he stays and Richardson goes.

LE Letroy Guion, $2.48M - We cut ties finally from what I think would be a headac this offseason again.

OLB Nick Perry, $2.39M - Perry has begun the showing of who and what he is. Not quite the player we all hoped but he's far from a bust. The game is slowing down and at times he looks down right scary for opposing lineman/QBs. We can't afford to be in the search for his replacement and an ILB to relieve Clay of that role.

RB James Starks, $1.84M Similar to how I feel with Raji...but I think Starks may get a couple nods from other teams based on how consistent he has been....his fumble issues from time to time would be the only pause for teams that run more than GB. I think he will stay.

NT BJ Raji, $1.81M Honestly, he's been above average to slightly good...which is great for our pocket book and is fine so long as we have good around him which we seem to have. He is here and I say get a 2-4 year affordable yet incentive laced contract.

TE A. Quarless, $1.75M I want him back and I think he will be. Until someone else comes in and proves a stud Quarless knows system best and can come up big.

RT Don Barclay, $1.55M To me this is a 50/50 depending what they feel they have on the wheels of Bulaga and others. He has had good and bad games no doubt.

QB Scott Tolzien, $1.20M Hundley is still in development and Tolzien knows the offense.

CB Casey Hayward, $1.06M He is gone, no doubt in my mind. He will garner too much and with Gunter/Rollins/Randall/Hyde just too much depth for us to justify keeping him.

LS Brett Goode, $976,250 I think he is out, other stepped up.

FB John Kuhn, $635,000 To me Kuhn is worth the money as long as he is doing what he is doing...only way this shouldn't be the case if we truly KNOW we have a replacement in Rip.

WR James Jones, $585,000 Same as Kuhn, he ain't going anywhere else. I would bet you make fair offer Jones will and wants to retire a Packer.

RESTRICTED
G Lane Taylor, $593,184 - I don't think we let him know we want him...but I could see us going minimum on him should he not go elsewhere.

OLB A. Mulumba, $592,518 - Cheap...he may stay... otherwise I think we move on.

S Chris Banjo, $590,655 - I like Richardson and Banjo equal...one stays one goes in my opinion and Banjo has made his presence felt on ST and I think will garner less both make me think he stays and Richardson goes.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS
TE Justin Perillo, $360,000 - He'll be back and cheap. He's shown capable of relief work and until we find a stud TE one injury means he's needed asap.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um......Franklin? Where have you been, wasn't anyone's choice he is gone...or I agree he'd be there.
I think that was his point, you can say someone can be drafted and just take over what Starks has done, but can you? Plenty of guys that "could" have, but never did for one reason or another, injury included

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was his point, you can say someone can be drafted and just take over what Starks has done, but can you? Plenty of guys that "could" have, but never did for one reason or another, injury included

I'm following ya, but an injury like his I think can't be included, but that is only opinion. I agree on Starks though, I'm keeping him if deemed worthy of cost and be ready to dump should we ever find a replacement.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The key to completing your roster is ALL 52 players, not just the starters. This is something I think TT excels at. Injuries during the season are a given and you are not going to be able to escape having to play 2nd and 3rd level guys and expect them to perform. Top heavy teams (starters make up a good portion of total salary), don't have that balance and yes, they can be really good if healthy, but throw a few injuries in to key players and they can't compete.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Vrill I don't know what you deal is bud, but I don't know how you can disagree with all my post when they state facts... Just clicking disagree on every one of my post without a reply doesn't make you correct. Just makes you look salty.

Actually, Vrill's actions could be viewed by a moderator as a violation of the TOS. I cut and pasted the relevant section below. If you think that you are being harassed, Un4GivN, report him.

A preponderance of negative ratings directed at a poster will be viewed as a personal attack.

If you disagree with a post and then follow it up with a post explaining your point of view, it will not fall under this guideline.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to see anyone other than Barclay that we really don't want back. Not many of these guys are going to demand a break the bank type contract. Raji or Starks may get some higher offers as upgrades to other teams but, there isn't a Shields or Matthews contract in the bunch of them. A lot of fairly decent to better than decent players overall. I see TT wanting most of them back. Now whether or not some of them have 'millionaire fever' or not, that is yet to be seen.

Guys we try to keep:

Crosby
Raji
Guion
Quarless
Perry
Tolzien

Goode - Probably won't need him with the young guy filling in well. He'll come cheaper
Barclay - just not able to fill the roll. We may hold off until camp and if he doesn't get picked up, sign him to a 1 year minimum

The others are pretty much roll players and won't demand large contracts to sign.

Hayward, Kuhn and Jones are kind of the persons of interest. Hayward, not sure about the cost, Kuhn and Jones really showed their value this year but what kind of contracts will they be willing to sign. I think both would sign for something reasonable. Jones already tried 'the other guys' and Kuhn is a Packer thru and thru. It just depends on whether Rip makes huge strides or not.

Personally, if we could swing most of these guys, minus Barclay, then get solid picks at TE, OT and ILB with a couple of other late round gems for depth, this team could be extremely good next year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
S Sean Richardson, $2.56M - I like Richardson and Banjo equal...one stays one goes in my opinion and Banjo has made his presence felt on ST and I think will garner less both make me think he stays and Richardson goes.
S Chris Banjo, $590,655 - I like Richardson and Banjo equal...one stays one goes in my opinion and Banjo has made his presence felt on ST and I think will garner less both make me think he stays and Richardson goes.
You realize Richardson had a career threatening injury and has a struggle to make the field again. Too bad, I kinda liked him for potentially playing the MLB to cover the TE on passing downs. Maybe a spot for Gunther?

D

Deleted member 6794

He's just so slow.

Jones had 50 receptions for 890 yards and 8 TDs this season, easily good enough to either be the third or fourth receiver on the depth chart next season.

From the dark side:

Jordy getting back to his pre-injury performance level is the most important question mark regarding the receiving corps entering next season. If he's capable to the passing game will be absolutely fine.

The defenders I would hazard will be looking for a lot more, and all they need is one GM who thinks they're worth it.

Mostly agree but I don't think Neal will be able to get more than $4 million a season.

now as for the running game, that is what i'm concerned about next year.

If the Packers passing attack is able to get back to their 2014 level with Nelson returning defenses won't be able to play in single high safety formations most of the time opening up the running game.

TE Justin Perillo, $360,000 - He'll be back and cheap. He's shown capable of relief work and until we find a stud TE one injury means he's needed asap.

Don't see any reason to re-sign Perillo as he wasn't able to make an impact even with the position in desperate need of someone stepping up.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe TT low balls Kuhn so much. He is a pretty important guy to this team's success with all the little things he does and is even more important to 12's health. Give him something respectable if you bring him back. Don't make it below 1 mil.

I would try to lock Raji down asap. I think he now knows what it takes to be a successful player in the league after possibly having some laziness issues.

Members online

Latest posts