Who do we re-sign

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think this team has been pretty respsectful of Kuhn these last few years. He's a fan favorite, but he's a role player at a position that most teams don't even use anymore. I love the guy, but if you're not playing a **** position that has an inflated salary teams aren't just giving it to you. Jones has been pretty productive this year too, probably our best WR and he's making 800K too. This after 2 teams had already cut him

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe TT low balls Kuhn so much. He is a pretty important guy to this team's success with all the little things he does and is even more important to 12's health. Give him something respectable if you bring him back. Don't make it below 1 mil.

I would try to lock Raji down asap. I think he now knows what it takes to be a successful player in the league after possibly having some laziness issues.

There's next to no reason to bring back Kuhn imo with Ripkowski in the wings much less paying him more than the veterans minimum

D

Deleted member 6794

There's next to no reason to bring back Kuhn imo with Ripkowski in the wings much less paying him more than the veterans minimum

Kuhn has a far superior knowledge of the offense than Ripkowski and has proved his value to the team over the last few weeks. While the rookie has flashed some potential on special teams he has only played a total of 18 snaps on offense.

I agree there's no reason to overpay for Kuhn though.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn has a far superior knowledge of the offense than Ripkowski and has proved his value to the team over the last few weeks. While the rookie has flashed some potential on special teams he has only played a total of 18 snaps on offense.

I agree there's no reason to overpay for Kuhn though.

Well I also should've brought up the fact that he's a FB so I'd just as quickly not carry either Kuhn or Ripkowski and use those roster spots on other positions

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I also should've brought up the fact that he's a FB so I'd just as quickly not carry either Kuhn or Ripkowski and use those roster spots on other positions

With the way Kuhn has helped out the offense over the last few weeks him playing a position a lot of teams don't use anymore shouldn't factor into the Packers bringing him back.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO Kuhn is one of those guys who brings his lunch pail onto the field, does his work, goes home and nobody really noticed he was there, until they look closer. What doesn't show up in the stats, shows up on film. Kuhn is assignment sure, trustworthy blocker for AR and running backs, sure handed, almost money on a quick hand off when only needing a yard and can catch the ball.

I only see him not being back if Rip is ready to do all of these things that JK does. Someday we will no longer hear the Kuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhnnnnnnn chant (at home and on the road) and maybe I am just being sentimental, but I don't think its next year, especially at what I think is a bargain price we pay for a guy who does quite a bit and is rarely hurt.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Kuhn is one of those guys who brings his lunch pail onto the field, does his work, goes home and nobody really noticed he was there, until they look closer. What doesn't show up in the stats, shows up on film. Kuhn is assignment sure, trustworthy blocker for AR and running backs, sure handed, almost money on a quick hand off when only needing a yard and can catch the ball.

I only see him not being back if Rip is ready to do all of these things that JK does. Someday we will no longer hear the Kuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhnnnnnnn chant (at home and on the road) and maybe I am just being sentimental, but I don't think its next year, especially at what I think is a bargain price we pay for a guy who does quite a bit and is rarely hurt.

I simply disagree. He's not all that good of a lead blocker and you could've said Brandon Jackson was assignment sure in pass blocking and he also had pretty good hands but most people couldn't wait till he was gone.

As for him being "almost money" when we need a single yard I'd respond with he is completely overrated in that regard by Packers fans. He's "ok" at it at best but he's been stuffed so many times on 3rd n 1 that I'm still amazed people think it's almost a guarantee he picks it up.

I get he's a fan favorite. But quite honestly you can get the same level of production out of a good blocking TE put in as an H-back if needed. Plus I truly hope they don't plan on keeping 2 FBs on the roster again and I'd hope that they wouldn't just cut Ripkowski and burn that draft pick so early.

Pretty much I think Kuhn is overrated by most fans. If he does something decent it gets played up as great. If he's average at something else it still gets played up as he's really good. Sorry I just don't think he's that good of a player. Yes he can make a play and pick up a solid block here and there but those are things almost and vet can do from time to time.

I'd rather have a fullback that on third and short that can blow open the hole for Lacy or Starks to pick up 20 instead of two or a TE playing H-back that if they leak out into the flat don't need to see 20 yards of green in front of them to pick up 10. Really I just don't see how Kuhn contributes in a meaningful role that a dozen other guys couldn't fill unless we're talking about giving fans a catchphrase to cheer anytime there's a 1 yard gain right up the middle

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Packers obviously disagree with your philosophy of not having a full back, I don't remember a year when they did not have a FB. While I think it was odd to carry 2 this year, they obviously believe in Kuhn and saw enough in Rip that they did not want to let him go. So you may not agree with a team having a full back, but I doubt you are going to see the Packers playing without one anytime soon.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anybody that can have their name chanted like it's a "boo" but we're really cheering will always be a fan favorite. Even if they're a long snapper on the scout team. It's how it is :)

But Kuhn plays his role in this offense, just like anyone else would be expected to back there. he has made some big plays over the years, not to the point I'd consider him a league star, but he hasn't exactly been chopped liver either. Some timely blitz pick ups over the years. I think he's an above average blocker in pass protections and running game, but that's what he's being paid like.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers obviously disagree with your philosophy of not having a full back, I don't remember a year when they did not have a FB. While I think it was odd to carry 2 this year, they obviously believe in Kuhn and saw enough in Rip that they did not want to let him go. So you may not agree with a team having a full back, but I doubt you are going to see the Packers playing without one anytime soon.

Nothing against having a FB. Was bringing it up in an effort to help point out that anything Kuhn does is pretty easily replaced and the fact that we have Ripkowski waiting in the wings I don't see what Kuhn brings to the table next year that other younger players can't fill while opening up a roster spot

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd rather have a fullback that on third and short that can blow open the hole for Lacy or Starks to pick up 20 instead of two or a TE playing H-back that if they leak out into the flat don't need to see 20 yards of green in front of them to pick up 10. Really I just don't see how Kuhn contributes in a meaningful role that a dozen other guys couldn't fill unless we're talking about giving fans a catchphrase to cheer anytime there's a 1 yard gain right up the middle

When I said he was "almost money" on a quick hand off, I was referring to situations when he is not expected to get the ball. But if you think another fullback is going to blow a big enough hole open for Lacy to pick up 20 on third and short, well.....I want some of that offense you are drawing up!

I guess I thought you weren't in favor of carrying any FB's? My bad if I misunderstood you. My question to you would be this, go back to the final cuts of 2015, what 2 players would the Packers had been better off keeping and cutting Kuhn and Rip? Or, go one step better. This weekend, deactivate Kuhn, who do you play instead of him?

Some teams choose to carry an extra TE who can play both positions. Until the Packers find a guy like that, none of which are on the team now, I'm sticking with Kuhn.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for him being "almost money" when we need a single yard I'd respond with he is completely overrated in that regard by Packers fans. He's "ok" at it at best but he's been stuffed so many times on 3rd n 1 that I'm still amazed people think it's almost a guarantee he picks it up.

Kuhn has picked up a first down of 75.9% of his runs on 3rd-and-1 since joining the team. All other Packers runners have a combined success rate of 65.0% since 2007.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Nothing against having a FB. Was bringing it up in an effort to help point out that anything Kuhn does is pretty easily replaced and the fact that we have Ripkowski waiting in the wings I don't see what Kuhn brings to the table next year that other younger players can't fill while opening up a roster spot

I'm still confused. First you say you wouldn't carry Kuhn or Rip because they are FB's. Then you say "nothing against having a FB" and Kuhn isn't needed because Rip is waiting in the wings.

Which one is it?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn has picked up a first down of 75.9% of his runs on 3rd-and-1 since joining the team. All other Packers runners have a combined success rate of 65.0% since 2007.

76 since joining the team. What are the stats from the last 3 years out if curiosity?

In any case just cause he's better than bad doesn't mean he's almost money at it

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In any case just cause he's better than bad doesn't mean he's almost money at it
"Better then bad"? LOL Think Captain was pointing out, he has been better then any other back and 75.9% isn't bad, is it?

D

Deleted member 6794

The league average this season was 68.7%, Kuhn for his career has a success rate which is 7.2% higher than that.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still confused. First you say you wouldn't carry Kuhn or Rip because they are FB's. Then you say "nothing against having a FB" and Kuhn isn't needed because Rip is waiting in the wings.

Which one is it?

I've brought up that Ripkowski is waiting in the wings in previous posts. The post that your referreing to is when It was brought up about paying Kuhn more than the minumum to stay I responded in that case I'd sooner roll into next season with neither FB rather than pay one more than the minimum.

I like Ripkowski and liked him when he was drafted. He's a factor in why I have no interest in bringing back Kuhn.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just admit that you've been proven wrong (nothing to be ashamed of) and move on.

It's not about being proven wrong. I'm simply asking a question. I have no idea and don't have the inclination to look it up.

If u want an admition though I'll admit he's above average over the course of his career. Still not the "he's money in 1 to go situations" though and im referencing the player he is right now. That's why I'm asking if u have the stats for the last 3 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not about being proven wrong. I'm simply asking a question. I have no idea and don't have the inclination to look it up.

If u want an admition though I'll admit he's above average over the course of his career. Still not the "he's money in 1 to go situations" though and im referencing the player he is right now. That's why I'm asking if u have the stats for the last 3 years.

He's 4-for-6 (66.7%) over the last three years, which is a pretty small sample size.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not picking on you RRyder but sometimes people use the argument of "dumb move by the Packers" without offering up any alternative or an alternative that may appear to be a better one, but is sheer conjecture. In your case, making the statement that Kuhn should not only be let go and/or Rip too, that one I am not sure of.....but even if you want Rip kept, why? What has he done that Kuhn hasn't?

The time to let a player go is when his services have declined more then he is worth. I just don't think this is the case with Kuhn. He is 35th on the team in pay, guys not even seeing the field are making more then him. I'm guessing Packer history books and fans, will always remember him for the solid, dependable player he has been for the Packers at a more then justifiable expense. Personally, I think he still has some entries to make in those memories.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip would still be practice squad elgible right? if so i say keep kuhn another year if not i'm fine either way.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rip would still be practice squad elgible right? if so i say keep kuhn another year if not i'm fine either way.
I never remember the rules for PS, but even if he was, I believe the Packers did not want to take the chance of doing that at the beginning of the season, for fear of another team grabbing him.

Members online

Latest posts