Who do we re-sign

Reaction score
I think the biggest mistakes players' managers make is short sided career advice. Guys like Jenkins going to MN is a good example of this.
Everything is obviously about a player's value when trying to resign FA. I think these players have a skill set or have experience that would be difficult to replicate by the 2016 regular season.

Neal, Crosby, Richardson, Guion, Starks, BJ, Tolzien, Hayward, Goode, Kuhn, JJ and Banjo

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not picking on you RRyder but sometimes people use the argument of "dumb move by the Packers" without offering up any alternative or an alternative that may appear to be a better one, but is sheer conjecture. In your case, making the statement that Kuhn should not only be let go and/or Rip too, that one I am not sure of.....but even if you want Rip kept, why? What has he done that Kuhn hasn't?

The time to let a player go is when his services have declined more then he is worth. I just don't think this is the case with Kuhn. He is 35th on the team in pay, guys not even seeing the field are making more then him. I'm guessing Packer history books and fans, will always remember him for the solid, dependable player he has been for the Packers at a more then justifiable expense. Personally, I think he still has some entries to make in those memories.

I haven't taken any offense so don't worry. I'm not trying to say it was a dumb move to keep him this year. I personally wouldn't have. I wouldve preferred to keep say Joe Thomas in his place as an example. Now that worked out cause we were able to pick him up off the Cowboys PS I believe but that's a little bit of hindsight. Also I would've liked to see Ringo on the active roster more in instead of him being cut to the PS.

Don't get me wrong though. I do understand to logic behind keeping him on the roster this season so I don't have an issue with him making the team. But in terms to next season I don't see the logic of keeping him on the roster when the value to the team that he brings can be filled by others on the roster along with the fact that they've now spent a year of presumably grooming a draft pick to replace him.

To me that roster spot is more valuable than anything Kuhn brings to the table, as like I said, I believe others can replace the value that he currently brings with little to no drop off while potentially being able to increase the depth at another position. I also don't think they should bring back Tolzien on anything else than a minumum contract, and that's only because of the value of QBs, but it's for much the same reasoning. Roster spots are so valuable that if you have a young guy that can come in and fill the same role, in Kuhns situation if it means running more H-back sets (something they're allready doing here n there) along with Ripkowski being the lead blocker I'd simply rather have that roster spot for depth at another position.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never remember the rules for PS, but even if he was, I believe the Packers did not want to take the chance of doing that at the beginning of the season, for fear of another team grabbing him.

Yes, in order to be on the PS, he has to be cut, free to sign anywhere, then come back, if he wants. Not the route I'd take if I were him. Given Kuhn's role, he could probably do it for several more years.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the biggest mistakes players' managers make is short sided career advice. Guys like Jenkins going to MN is a good example of this.
Everything is obviously about a player's value when trying to resign FA. I think these players have a skill set or have experience that would be difficult to replicate by the 2016 regular season.

Neal, Crosby, Richardson, Guion, Starks, BJ, Tolzien, Hayward, Goode, Kuhn, JJ and Banjo

Richardson most likely suffered a career-ending neck injury this season and I don't think the Packers will re-sign Goode who won't be ready for the start of the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never remember the rules for PS, but even if he was, I believe the Packers did not want to take the chance of doing that at the beginning of the season, for fear of another team grabbing him.

True...if real fear that he'll be picked up by someone else is there...then I will understand if they say let's move on from Kuhn or stick with both. I try no to as hard as it is let my emotions or player bias get in the way of logic. I hated seeing JJ go when he did the first time, but it made perfect sense for the "business" that the Packers are.

I now foresee JJ retiring a Packer, unless he tries to capture whatever demand he created from another solid year here....wouldn't blame him but I don't think he will, as I think he's made his money and loves Green Bay...he in an interview the first time said it is weird leaving what his family considers home.

Kuhn I think stays here or retires...for that GB won't short change him but they also know that is in their favor and Kuhn will continue getting around the same low figure for his services which he embraces.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes, in order to be on the PS, he has to be cut, free to sign anywhere, then come back, if he wants. Not the route I'd take if I were him. Given Kuhn's role, he could probably do it for several more years.

Right on all that, I just never remember how many games on the active roster nullify a players eligibility to make the PS. Had Rip been cut before the season started, I doubt he makes it back to the Packers PS, which is why they chose to keep him on the roster. Also, being on the PS doesn't mean another team can't sign him.

TT may have rolled the dice a bit with Rip when he drafted him in the 6th, too good to pass up, but also too good to slip to the PS. He has been good on Special Teams and I don't see the move as back firing, since we were still able to juggle people around without having to risk losing him. I definitely see him as the heir apparent to Kuhn, will just be a matter of when.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right on all that, I just never remember how many games on the active roster nullify a players eligibility to make the PS.

Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what you´re saying about Starks but I think a rookie could provide the same impact for less money.

Maybe to spell Lacy for a series but I don't know about having to play a whole game if Lacy is injured or is simply not pulling his weight (no pun intended. At least I don't think I intended)

I think Jones and Starks might get offered more money to go elsewhere but I don't think either of them will get offered starter type money. Jones already knows first hand the dangers of leaving Green Bay and I think Starks is smart enough to see it.

In Jones' case it most likely is going to be a very crowded position again. I think it may be safe to count on Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams and Abby for sure, maybe iffy for Adams or Abby if someone else really shows up in camp but by then will Jones even be around? Even so I think they are pretty safe bets to be on the 52 man roster next season. Is there room for Jones. Even if if he agrees for the league minimum again would it be too much for the Packers to pay if they wanted to keep 6 WRs again. Personally I would like to see him back.

As for Starks I think he knows he is not going to be anything more that a RBBC type guy and he is used to it here so why not stick around. I would like to see him back as well.

If it comes down to a half a million difference for either one I'd prefer we kept them. Its not like we are totally strapped for cash space.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had 50 receptions for 890 yards and 8 TDs this season, easily good enough to either be the third or fourth receiver on the depth chart next season.

Jordy getting back to his pre-injury performance level is the most important question mark regarding the receiving corps entering next season. If he's capable to the passing game will be absolutely fine.

If the Packers passing attack is able to get back to their 2014 level with Nelson returning defenses won't be able to play in single high safety formations most of the time opening up the running game.

Agreed 100% on Jones but we still have Monty and Adams (maybe) to be that 3rd or 4th guy. Jones would be fighting for the 6th spot on the roster, obviously not 6th on the depth chart but I just don't see much chance in cutting Adams or Abby loose so with Nelson, Cobb and Monty that's 5 spots right there. I know it sounds strange to consider your #3 or #4 wr as the 6th spot but it comes down to youth in this case. Adams and Abby have it. Personally if it came down to Jones or Abby I'd keep Jones but I think TT and MM really like Abby. Will Jones come back again for the league minimum? I think that will be the key. That doesn'r leave any room for Janis or another rookie which we all know Ted will draft. Then again it wouldn't completely surprise me if he took a WR int the second or third and dumping Abby or/and Adams.

Like I said before though, I'd like to see him back.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn has picked up a first down of 75.9% of his runs on 3rd-and-1 since joining the team. All other Packers runners have a combined success rate of 65.0% since 2007.

Hey statman what do you do for a living anyway.:D

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey statman what do you do for a living anyway.:D

If we were passing out Packer Forum awards, which BTW I think would kind of be fun to do, Captain would hands down win "Stat Man of the Year". I consider myself handy with Google, but the guy finds stats that makes me think he is working for "Stats Are Us".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't taken any offense so don't worry. I'm not trying to say it was a dumb move to keep him this year. I personally wouldn't have. I wouldve preferred to keep say Joe Thomas in his place as an example. Now that worked out cause we were able to pick him up off the Cowboys PS I believe but that's a little bit of hindsight. Also I would've liked to see Ringo on the active roster more in instead of him being cut to the PS.

Don't get me wrong though. I do understand to logic behind keeping him on the roster this season so I don't have an issue with him making the team. But in terms to next season I don't see the logic of keeping him on the roster when the value to the team that he brings can be filled by others on the roster along with the fact that they've now spent a year of presumably grooming a draft pick to replace him.

To me that roster spot is more valuable than anything Kuhn brings to the table, as like I said, I believe others can replace the value that he currently brings with little to no drop off while potentially being able to increase the depth at another position. I also don't think they should bring back Tolzien on anything else than a minumum contract, and that's only because of the value of QBs, but it's for much the same reasoning. Roster spots are so valuable that if you have a young guy that can come in and fill the same role, in Kuhns situation if it means running more H-back sets (something they're allready doing here n there) along with Ripkowski being the lead blocker I'd simply rather have that roster spot for depth at another position.

In a way I agree with you. At least I know what you are saying. Personally you wouldn't keep any fullbacks but you are not opposed to keeping one. You just can't see keeping two and when the younger, cheaper one can do what the more older, more expensive one can why on earth would you keep the older more expensive one. I think that is your position and its generally the right one. I think the disagreement here is whether or not the younger, cheaper one can do what the older more expensive one can. Most of us arguing for keeping Kuhn think he is more valuable to the team than you do. No problems there just a difference of opinion and you have admitted that if they decide to keep him at the minimum, though you wouldn't agree it wouldn't kill you. What would kill you is if they offered him more than minimum or if they kept two again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were passing out Packer Forum awards, which BTW I think would kind of be fun to do, Captain would hands down win "Stat Man of the Year". I consider myself handy with Google, but the guy finds stats that makes me think he is working for "Stats Are Us".

For some reason a certain Styx song comes to mind whenever I read one of his stats posts. Not that that is a bad thing. I like Styx and it a great song.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just don't see Kuhn being offered a ton of money elsewhere (unless its the Vikings to **** us off). His highest and best value is as a Packer for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he knows this offense and Aaron. He may be what Masthay is to Crosby, in what he gives Aaron.....security. Second, the guy is no doubt a big fan favorite. Maybe its just his name "Kuuuuuuuhhhhhhnnnnn", but I think a lot of Packer fans relate to his blue collar way of getting things done and doing them pretty damn well. So IMO, until he can't perform his duties, his value to the Packers exceeds the money they are paying him. Someday in the near future, I hope to hear "Ripppppppppppppppppppppppppp", but think that is at least a year away.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For some reason a certain Styx song comes to mind whenever I read one of his stats posts. Not that that is a bad thing. I like Styx and it a great song.

If it's "Babe", I don't want to hear anything more :cool:

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed 100% on Jones but we still have Monty and Adams (maybe) to be that 3rd or 4th guy. Jones would be fighting for the 6th spot on the roster, obviously not 6th on the depth chart but I just don't see much chance in cutting Adams or Abby loose so with Nelson, Cobb and Monty that's 5 spots right there. I know it sounds strange to consider your #3 or #4 wr as the 6th spot but it comes down to youth in this case. Adams and Abby have it. Personally if it came down to Jones or Abby I'd keep Jones but I think TT and MM really like Abby. Will Jones come back again for the league minimum? I think that will be the key. That doesn'r leave any room for Janis or another rookie which we all know Ted will draft. Then again it wouldn't completely surprise me if he took a WR int the second or third and dumping Abby or/and Adams.

Like I said before though, I'd like to see him back.

I don't think Jones is interested in playing somewhere else after what happened this offseason so I expect him to accept a deal close to the veteran's minimum if offered a contract by the Packers. With all the injuries suffered at the position this season I would be fine with entering training camp in 2016 with as many weapons as possible.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You definitely have to resign Raji and Crosby. Those are the priorities. If Raji leaves we have to start looking for a new NT and right now the defensive line is one of our strengths.

I think is we can get Mike Neal back on a cheaper deal that would be huge for us. He adds solid depth at the OLB position. Perry is going to get a deal from a team running a 4-3 and theyre going to pay him more than what hes worth to us. He just never developed as a OLB. He didnt want to be one coming out and Im sure he probably doesnt want to be one now.

I would love to keep Starks around for another 2 years. Hes getting up in age but his mileage is low and as a change of pace back he does very well. He should have a contract similar to what he got last time around, maybe a little lower.

Keep Goode. Hes never really screwed up in recent memory.

Barclay can go with how bad he has been this year and how good Tretter has looked. Richardson is likely done with another injury. Guion I think shot himself in the foot with the suspension. Perry I explained. Quarless same as Guion. Tolzein can either stay or go. They have guys they like as backups. Hayward will get a contract somewhere and he cant even beat our two rookies or Micah Hyde for playing time. Jones and Kuhn are old and there are guys on the team that are younger and have more upside.

D

Deleted member 6794

You definitely have to resign Raji and Crosby. Those are the priorities.

Keep Goode. Hes never really screwed up in recent memory.

Jones and Kuhn are old and there are guys on the team that are younger and have more upside.

I don't see Crosby as a priority and the Packers could save significant cap space by going with a younger kicker.

Goode most likely won't be ready for the opener next season, so there's no reason to sign him during the offseason. The team could still bring him back once he's healthy.

None of the youngsters has proven to be capable of equivalently replacing Jones or Kuhn.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 2015 season winding down, thoughts will soon turn towards 2016. As always, lots of decisions in regards to our own players , who to keep and who to say good bye to?

Put on your GM hats (something rarely done here) and let everyone know your thoughts. Remember, we will all be coming back here in a year to chastise your picks. :coffee:

PACKERS FREE AGENTS IN 2016
(Pos., player, 2015 salary); M = million

UNRESTRICTED
OLB Mike Neal, $4.25M

K Mason Crosby, $3.55M

S Sean Richardson, $2.56M

LE Letroy Guion, $2.48M

OLB Nick Perry, $2.39M

RB James Starks, $1.84M

NT BJ Raji, $1.81M

TE A. Quarless, $1.75M

RT Don Barclay, $1.55M

QB Scott Tolzien, $1.20M

CB Casey Hayward, $1.06M

LS Brett Goode, $976,250

FB John Kuhn, $635,000

WR James Jones, $585,000

RESTRICTED
G Lane Taylor, $593,184

OLB A. Mulumba, $592,518

S Chris Banjo, $590,655

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS
TE Justin Perillo, $360,000
Neal and Perry both! Guion, raji both! Crosby is a solid k. Starks has low miles for 30. 2 more years for him I think. The rest I wouldn't cry. We could take a few insurance picks like Kuhn, Jones, quarless, Hayward, or any of the cheap restricted guys.

I think it's clear rollins and Randall need to be on the field more. Gunter too. Hayward can't be expecting starter cb pay. Journeyman cb for the greenbay packers is a good job for a second contract.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal and Perry both! Guion, raji both! Crosby is a solid k. Starks has low miles for 30. 2 more years for him I think. The rest I wouldn't cry. We could take a few insurance picks like Kuhn, Jones, quarless, Hayward, or any of the cheap restricted guys.

I think it's clear rollins and Randall need to be on the field more. Gunter too. Hayward can't be expecting starter cb pay. Journeyman cb for the greenbay packers is a good job for a second contract.

I guarantee you Hayward is expecting starting CB pay. You are literally the first person I've heard (or read in this instance) that believes otherwise

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee you Hayward is expecting starting CB pay. You are literally the first person I've heard (or read in this instance) that believes otherwise

And there's a pretty good chance some team will offer it to him.

Members online