Which player will you be pulling for to make the team?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same fear for 90% of the young guys, drafted or not. If they don't have a grasp of having & handling $$ it's very easy to blow it and/or get lazy thinking it'll always be there. :(
It's amazing at how much money some of them can go through, in a short period of time. Then, because of not so scrupulous "business advisors," who gouge them, they find themselves on the short end of the stick when it comes to taxes, and they spend the rest of their lives trying to pay that off.

Take a look at some of the nicest guys who get bilked. Some don't lose everything, but enough that it makes life a lot different than it could have been. Check out what went down with Donald Driver's "partners" in his auto business. Some interesting people there. I could cite a bunch of players that I know of who have been ripped off.

As an example, I know one who sold off his "name" to someone for a few bucks, and now has to get their permission, and pay them a royalty, if his name goes on anything. That's bogus in my book. But, here we are, in a world where it's dog eat dog, and the average person is a dachshund in the world of pit bulls.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Same fear for 90% of the young guys, drafted or not. If they don't have a grasp of having & handling $$ it's very easy to blow it and/or get lazy thinking it'll always be there. :(
I think that this is actually an advantage that Cox has over some, he has experienced that feeling, twice. He knows what it is like to be staring at his football career ending. I agree with you though, some of these guys have never experienced failure and have had everything handed to them in college. They get some big $$ as draftees and forget that they still need to put extra effort and hard work to make it in the NFL. Cox got $18,000 to sign with the Packers and beyond that, no guarantees. Whereas, a 6th round pick like Karl Brooks, he got a $212,028 signing bonus. Not saying it will happen and I hope it doesn't to either player, but Brooks payday was quite substantial and it wouldn't shock me that suddenly having $212K in ones pocket, has less incentivizing of an effect, than the $18K Brooks got.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's amazing at how much money some of them can go through, in a short period of time. Then, because of not so scrupulous "business advisors," who gouge them, they find themselves on the short end of the stick when it comes to taxes, and they spend the rest of their lives trying to pay that off.

Take a look at some of the nicest guys who get bilked. Some don't lose everything, but enough that it makes life a lot different than it could have been. Check out what went down with Donald Driver's "partners" in his auto business. Some interesting people there. I could cite a bunch of players that I know of who have been ripped off.

As an example, I know one who sold off his "name" to someone for a few bucks, and now has to get their permission, and pay them a royalty, if his name goes on anything. That's bogus in my book. But, here we are, in a world where it's dog eat dog, and the average person is a dachshund in the world of pit bulls.
Honestly, I don't feel sorry for any athlete, that either gets this kind of money or has the opportunity to get it, and F's it up. It's the real world out there, everyone faces it, whether they are a college/HS grad or a dropout. As a matter of fact, if a guy suddenly is earning millions and doesn't know how to handle it, I feel less sorry for him than the poor kid who can't complete HS, because he is too busy working minimum pay jobs to support his family.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His ceiling IS high.

That won't change, his only hurdles will be within his head and the other guys on the roster ahead of him.
I believe if he gets through the hurdles in his head, he has the ability to surpass many of the guys on the roster ahead of him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not, look at his track record of releases or kicked off in college. Guys like that rarely even get drafted or at best are late Day 3 flyers.
Are you saying he was a first round pick if not for deportment? What about the number 9 pick of the draft this year? Teams tend to downplay a lot of things when they think there is a lot of talent. Maybe you are saying he would have been like a 5th rounder?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really important to have a good agent. To have someone (preferably that you don't know) handle your money. To have some self discipline and stick with the plan...for the most part.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's really important to have a good agent. To have someone (preferably that you don't know) handle your money. To have some self discipline and stick with the plan...for the most part.
I sure would want to know my agent, before handing him that kind of job, but I think I know what you mean. Don't hand it off to a close friend, family, etc., if they don't have good knowledge or experience in the field, as well as a good reputation.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying he was a first round pick if not for deportment? What about the number 9 pick of the draft this year? Teams tend to downplay a lot of things when they think there is a lot of talent. Maybe you are saying he would have been like a 5th rounder?

Nope believe my grade on him was a 3rd or 4th without going back and looking. I initially early own saw him as a for sure Day 2 talent, but I do know I had him red circled as a 7th or UDFA flyer due to attitude.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure would want to know my agent, before handing him that kind of job, but I think I know what you mean. Don't hand it off to a close friend, family, etc., if they don't have good knowledge or experience in the field, as well as a good reputation.
Honestly, I think they would be better off choosing someone they just don't have a personal relationship with. Whether or not they are qualified.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope believe my grade on him was a 3rd or 4th without going back and looking. I initially early own saw him as a for sure Day 2 talent, but I do know I had him red circled as a 7th or UDFA flyer due to attitude.
In that case we should have high expectations for him. I know I do for our 2nd TE. I agree that it shows a lot that he went back to school and actually graduated. I hope he has the physical tools like you think he has. I'll be rooting for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, I think they would be better off choosing someone they just don't have a personal relationship with. Whether or not they are qualified.
While I see your point, if Drew Rosenhaus was my Uncle, I would use him as my agent and trust him. I don't know Drew Barrymore, but I sure wouldn't want to use her as my agent. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed.

Now take into consideration had he not gotten booted off the Georgia team or maybe even off the Gators. Cox may have actually been a first round talent, even top 10 had his career in Georgia not gotten derailed.

He's still a long shot, but physically, the guy has all the tools to be a top player in the NFL.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed! A good sports agency that has a track record dealing with players in your strata. One good agency has Todd France, who is Aaron Rodgers agent as one of the top dogs. There are several, but he's really one of the best. They won't steer you wrong, but they also won't stand in your way if you're stupid. Some hear what's said, and ignore it.

I have first hand knowledge of how a good agency works. CAA, which represents people in the movie/TV area. A cousin is raking in mid 7 figure numbers on residuals from his TV shows, along with over $2 mill a year on the movies he's made. That's just added to the millions he's getting under contract to two different studios who have him on their payroll for projects. To him, because of CAA, a year that he makes less than $20 to $30 mill is a disaster. That's about where he stood, during the COVID lock down.

But, you should never give the job to a friend, or family member. You're asking for trouble. Take advantage of the experts. They will help you make more by far, even after they get their cut. They'll also be honest with you, when they are a big operation, because they deal in billions of dollars, not just your money.

Reaction score
I saw yesterday (but you’ll have to take my word cause I can’t find it now) that an NFC scout said without the “red flags” Cox was a 6th Round grade, which initially sounded low but reasonable.
That said (and I’m no Scout) my opinion was like yours and he was higher and Cox was in that Karl Brooks-Enagbare type area. That’s still plenty darn good for a a UDFA. I also read after he interviews with GB they told him upfront they “couldn’t really draft him” (allow me some latitude this verbiage is from pure memory). However while it didn’t spell it out, it was very apparent Brenton Cox Jr was going to be our top priority post draft. In an interview with him just recently I remember Cox said he got the call literally on draft day.

Now we’ve got reports saying Matt named him as a semi standout early on his short list. That list included Van Ness. Matt said Cox has been making “splash plays”. He’s at worst leading the Undrafted players. Anyone that causes disruption at and behind point of attack needs to be prioritized in 2023 imo.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I saw yesterday (but you’ll have to take my word cause I can’t find it now) that an NFC scout said without the “red flags” Cox was a 6th Round grade, which initially sounded low but reasonable.
That said (and I’m no Scout) my opinion was like yours and he was higher and Cox was in that Karl Brooks-Enagbare type area. That’s still plenty darn good for a a UDFA. I also read after he interviews with GB they told him upfront they “couldn’t really draft him” (allow me some latitude this verbiage is from pure memory). However while it didn’t spell it out, it was very apparent Brenton Cox Jr was going to be our top priority post draft. In an interview with him just recently I remember Cox said he got the call literally on draft day.

Now we’ve got reports saying Matt named him as a semi standout early on his short list. That list included Van Ness. Matt said Cox has been making “splash plays”. He’s at worst leading the Undrafted players. Anyone that causes disruption at and behind point of attack needs to be prioritized in 2023 imo.
It doesn't do anything to debate it or nit pick it, but I remember reading what a few scouts said about Brenton Cox's potential at Georgia and the NFL, had he not been booted off the team. He was a considered to be a top 20 High School talent in his class. So, basically, if he had a "normal" college career he could have potentially played himself into being a first round pick. So I think when these draft gurus are saying "no red flags, he would have been a 6th round pick". They are basing that on his actual limited work. They aren't taking into consideration that if those flags didn't exist/happen, then he would have had more of a complete picture/stats as to his NFL potential. Which is why I keep saying, if he keeps his head down and nose to the grindstone, this guy could be really good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It doesn't do anything to debate it or nit pick it, but I remember reading what a few scouts said about Brenton Cox's potential at Georgia and the NFL, had he not been booted off the team. He was a considered to be a top 20 High School talent in his class. So, basically, if he had a "normal" college career he could have potentially played himself into being a first round pick. So I think when these draft gurus are saying "no red flags, he would have been a 6th round pick". They are basing that on his actual limited work. They aren't taking into consideration that if those flags didn't exist/happen, then he would have had more of a complete picture/stats as to his NFL potential. Which is why I keep saying, if he keeps his head down and nose to the grindstone, this guy could be really good.
Amen. I witnessed Kirby Smart in an interview from a few years ago and he was asked how the Interior Defenders helps his pass rush. He immediately called out Cox as his primary beneficiary. That speaks volumes to me. We’re talking about arguably the best Defense in College football and him using Brenton’s name in an unprovoked manner is indicative of who he considered one of his best pass rushers. You don’t get your name tossed around on the Georgia Bulldogs D unless you are a standout College player. You don’t even make that team unless you are the best of the best coming out of HS.
But yes absolutely Cox did miss some time and it hurt his overall evaluation.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But yes absolutely Cox did miss some time and it hurt his overall evaluation.
Exactly. It also probably stunted his development. Now on the bright side, his body didn't go through as much punishment as a normal 4 year guy would have. So the Packers have a 23 year old, with a lot of physical talent, lower miles and in need of development of mind, body and mental acumen. So yeah, a project, but a cheap and potentially great project to have on a young team.

A bit of an edit on Cox. I never looked up how many games he actually played in while at Georgia and Florida. It was a lot more than I thought.

2018: Georgia: 11 games
2019: Sat out
2020: Florida: 12 games
2021: Florida: 13 games
2022: Florida: 8 games

His 2021 season was impressive.

TacklesDef IntFumbles
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2018GeorgiaSECFRLB11713202.01.0000300
*2020FloridaSECSOLB1221214210.03.5000210
*2021FloridaSECJRLB1326154114.58.0000401
*2022FloridaSECSRLB81520358.02.000010000
CareerOverall696913834.514.5000101001
Georgia713202.01.0000300
Florida625611832.513.5000710

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brenton Cox Jr.

Edge rushers are probably the third most valuable position on the team (behind QB and CB) but the main reason is that I'm a Florida Gator fan and it would be really nice for a Gator to finally be on my favorite pro team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Brenton Cox Jr.

Edge rushers are probably the third most valuable position on the team (behind QB and CB) but the main reason is that I'm a Florida Gator fan and it would be really nice for a Gator to finally be on my favorite pro team.
I'm not even a Gator fan and I am pulling for him. Now the Georgia fans, they are still salty.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has issues that need to be addressed. Sometimes the body grows but the mind doesn't reach a responsible adult level as quickly as it should. This could be one of those cases. The problem is, most of the time, when you give some of these guys a chance, it's doing nothing more than enabling them to act out.

Hopefully this isn't the case with him. There might be some decent talent there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Cole Schneider (guard) does well. Sounds like he runs (especially pulling) and pass blocks. I've been reading a few good things about Valentine so I hope he keeps it up.

OP
OP
GBkrzygrl

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly I'm beginning to think that Wicks will not make the 53. He had some good catches in a couple of the games but there is too much competition and now he is out with a hamstring. So (fingers crossed) that he will make the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sadly I'm beginning to think that Wicks will not make the 53. He had some good catches in a couple of the games but there is too much competition and now he is out with a hamstring. So (fingers crossed) that he will make the PS.
I think he makes the 53. Too soon to give up on a rookie 5th round pick. Depending on the severity of his hamstring, he will be put on the 53 and then later placed on IR and replaced by another WR or he will just be inactive for a few games. IR would protect him from the waiver wire and allow him to play this year. I also just don't think there are more than 6, maybe 7 WR's that the Packers want to keep, including him.

I see these players as locks: Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed

Near Locks: Samori Toure, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath

Bubble: DuBose

Heath has had a really nice preseason, I don't see him being exposed to the waiver wire. I almost don't want DuBose to play on Saturday. If he does and lights it up, they might have to protect him.

Members online

Latest posts