Which player will you be pulling for to make the team?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know how he has kicked in very cold weather?
From his year by year stats & game logs Anders didn't play in any cold weather. Auburn's games were all in the south (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, S. Carolina, etc.) and against MIN in the Outback Bowl they played in Tampa. He'll adjust... or Gute will find another who can.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the money that the Packers make/spend, you would think that they could build a large simulator for him to practice in, like golfers have. One that can crank up all sorts of weather, from a blizzard to a monsoon! This taking an iced down ball from a cooler in 90 degree weather, just isn't the same.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It's not only the ball, it's your own body. Joints are tight, muscles are tight, and admittedly, if you're not in the game on a regular basis, you're kinda frozen up. The parka helps, the sideline heaters must help some, but when you hit the field itself, it's like going into a deep freeze from a room at 80¤

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not only the ball, it's your own body. Joints are tight, muscles are tight, and admittedly, if you're not in the game on a regular basis, you're kinda frozen up. The parka helps, the sideline heaters must help some, but when you hit the field itself, it's like going into a deep freeze from a room at 80¤
Yup and that is why they should build a simulator, that....simulates all types of weather that a player may face. Make the kicker, punter, LS, rookie QB's sit in it, keeping warm/dry/cool with whatever means they do in a real game and then have them kick/punt/snap/throw.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'm rooting for Brenton Cox, to keep the streak of keeping a UDFA going.
Really interesting player. Obviously some character issues that need to be addressed first and foremost. He was signed by Georgia and was a
2nd-team All SEC pass rusher in FL. He’s really an ideal 2-down Linebacker. His ability to stop the Run and be frequently behind the LOS against top College competition is super appealing. He’s all sorts of disruptive against the run and that’s a big need for us. He should’ve declared in 2022 and he’d probably have been selected in that Day 3 area. He finished 2021 as one of the most purely disruptive Defensive players across all Conferences (35.4% TFL rate in 2021)
18 Tackles, 7 sacks and 10 TFL in his last 4 contests alone in the 2021 season.
He’s definitely got some Quay Walker in him and it needs to be properly harnessed. He’s low risk because he’s cost us nothing.

I would not want to be simultaneously met by Brenton Cox Jr and Quay Walker on a day they both got bad news. :eek:

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really interesting player. Obviously some character issues that need to be addressed first and foremost. He was signed by Georgia and was a
2nd-team All SEC pass rusher in FL. He’s really an ideal 2-down Linebacker. His ability to stop the Run and be frequently behind the LOS against top College competition is super appealing. He’s all sorts of disruptive against the run and that’s a big need for us. He should’ve declared in 2022 and he’d probably have been selected in that Day 3 area. He finished 2021 as one of the most purely disruptive Defensive players across all Conferences. He’s got some Quay in him and it needs to be properly harnessed. He’s very risky

Quay exhibited a LOT more maturity than Cox in college.

Cox is more Burfict than Quay - both let emotions drive them so I get the reference but Quay never did things IMO dirty just boneheaded.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cox is more Burfict than Quay - both let emotions drive them so I get the reference but Quay never did things IMO dirty just boneheaded.
Maybe you read something that I missed. I didn't think Cox was let go for being dirty or cheap shots (like Burfict). It was a Marijuana charge at Georgia and some disagreements with coaching, that got him cut from the program. At Florida, he did have some contact after a play, but that sounded like the last straw for a guy that coaches didn't want to deal with off the field.

Again, maybe you read something else, but I was under the impression that Cox just needed an attitude adjustment and stay away from the drug many college and pro players seem to do, Marijuana.

Reaction score
Maybe you read something that I missed. I didn't think Cox was let go for being dirty or cheap shots (like Burfict). It was a Marijuana charge at Georgia and some disagreements with coaching, that got him cut from the program. At Florida, he did have some contact after a play, but that sounded like the last straw for a guy that coaches didn't want to deal with off the field.

Again, maybe you read something else, but I was under the impression that Cox just needed an attitude adjustment and stay away from the drug many college and pro players seem to do, Marijuana.
Yeah. That’s the thing. You can be fantastic for 99% of your college career, but those athletes are under a 100% microscope I’m not saying either is a bad guy or anything like that. Just I wouldn’t want to be drinking Tequila with those 2 guys when a bar fight is ready to happen. I’m heading to the powder room with the ladies. Something’s about to get broken and it’s not me skull..
Excuse Moi Hold my drink s'il vous plaît

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Marijuana is legal in so many places now. It's almost like booting a guy for smoking a cigarette. A lot of people use it for health reasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Marijuana is legal in so many places now. It's almost like booting a guy for smoking a cigarette. A lot of people use it for health reasons.
Even when and where it's illegal, it's typically a misdemeanor. I've been around enough UW football players to know just how popular its use it. I can't imagine coaches and training staff haven't smelled it on players clothes. My theory is that for the most part, people turn a blind eye to it, unless a greater offense occurs. Then it can be said "player was dismissed from team for Marijuana use and other undisclosed disciplinary issues."

Meanwhile, alcohol is legal and.....well...let's not go down that road.

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the money that the Packers make/spend, you would think that they could build a large simulator for him to practice in, like golfers have. One that can crank up all sorts of weather, from a blizzard to a monsoon! This taking an iced down ball from a cooler in 90 degree weather, just isn't the same.
The amount of advantage it would give is dwarfed by the increased risk of injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The amount of advantage it would give is dwarfed by the increased risk of injury.
How would practicing in simulated conditions, that a player may have to play in, increase risk of injury? I'd actually contend that it would help them to physically and mentally prepare themselves for such time and possibly reduce injuries because of it.

I'm not saying put the whole team through 2 hour practices in a 20 below igloo, with an iced surface. But having your kicker, that may have never kicked in single digit temps, simulate stretching, warming up and actually doing some kicking in such conditions, might be beneficial.

Modern athletes preparing for competition that takes place in higher altitudes or much warmer conditions, don't just train in a climate that they are used to.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard Mason would practice in Lambeau once or twice before late season games to get a feel for the winds.
I also heard or maybe misheard that it didn't help much as opposition kickers had a better FG% than he did at Lambeau.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I heard Mason would practice in Lambeau once or twice before late season games to get a feel for the winds.
I also heard or maybe misheard that it didn't help much as opposition kickers had a better FG% than he did at Lambeau.
The Packers definitely were out practicing in the elements, to acclimate to them. However, that was when those elements "arrived", late Nov. and Dec. When it is July and you are trying to determine if a rookie kicker can kick in the cold, do you really want to wait until the 14th or so game of the season to find out that he can't? Which is why the whole "simulator" idea came to my head.

Reaction score
Just did some more homework on Brenton Cox. If that guy keeps focused this year he could really surprise some folks. His Coaches at both Georgia and Florida inferred he was their best Edge player at some juncture. Forget his poor 40 time, he’s got good short area burst and he just dominated at times and we’re talking at the SEC level.
Much for him will come down to internal discipline. He’ll be on a short leash. Also there were short periods at Georgia that he looked like he kinda went through the motions on some film. Some minor concern there, but super low risk, high reward player.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I have lots of guys I will be pulling for and as the preseason rolls through, maybe a few names will jump to the top. One guy that we will see a lot of in preseason and I hope will prove he was worth the 5th round pick, is QB Sean Clifford. So many people hated on that pick, simply because "he wasn't projected to go that high." Maybe Gute whiffed and shouldn't have taken him, but from what I have read, he is a good game manager and plays smart. If he can back that up with some decent NFL skills, that is what I want for my #2 QB.

Now I know some only want Gute to draft instant impact players and those people will bring up Aaron Jones and Corey Linsley as examples of much better 5th round picks. Hard to argue that, except to say that a large percentage of 5th round picks, never make any kind of impact. So if you can snag a QB in the 5th, that ends up sticking as the #2 and who knows, someday is good enough to start, I would say it is worth the dice roll.

It would be completely unrealistic to expect Gutekunst to draft immediate impact players in the fifth round. It's a different story in the first one though.

Does anyone know how he has kicked in very cold weather?

Carlsen played high school in Colorado Springs and made 28 of 47 (59.6%) field goals in three seasons. In addition he made 95 of 97 extra point attempts.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I’ve been through a lot. Just trying to make ends meet and get me a job here."

When he lost his funding, it probably had a big affect on him. Hmm, get my head out of my **** and focus on football and make millions, or work at Walmart. Hope he makes it and he doesn't lose his focus. Want to see him succeed but would worry if the big contract comes, he will fall back into some patterns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

When he lost his funding, it probably had a big affect on him. Hmm, get my head out of my **** and focus on football and make millions, or work at Walmart. Hope he makes it and he doesn't lose his focus. Want to see him succeed but would worry if the big contract comes, he will fall back into some patterns.
I was pleasantly surprised to read that after he was booted off the Gators football team, he was allowed to finish up his degree and he graduated. Further, Cox participated in the East-West Shrine Bowl. The Gators also let him come in on Pro Day and work out for Scouts. Now that may not sound like much to some, but it tells me that he didn't totally burn bridges with the school or the NCAA. More importantly, most schools seem to want to wash their hands of athletes that are dismissed for undisclosed reasons, this wasn't the case with Brenton Cox.

He has become my underdog to make the roster and I think if he does, the ceiling could be pretty high on this guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His ceiling IS high.

That won't change, his only hurdles will be within his head and the other guys on the roster ahead of him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His ceiling IS high.

That won't change, his only hurdles will be within his head and the other guys on the roster ahead of him.
I'd think if his ceiling was really high; he would have been drafted early. But that does not mean he won't make it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd think if his ceiling was really high; he would have been drafted early. But that does not mean he won't make it.

Absolutely not, look at his track record of releases or kicked off in college. Guys like that rarely even get drafted or at best are late Day 3 flyers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Same fear for 90% of the young guys, drafted or not. If they don't have a grasp of having & handling $$ it's very easy to blow it and/or get lazy thinking it'll always be there. :(

Members online

Latest posts