Which player will you be pulling for to make the team?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pulling for Dontayvion Wicks. He is from my home state of Louisiana and group up in Plaquemine, my grandmother's home town. He also has skills that I think will help the team.

Who are you pulling for?

If I suspected Wicks wasn't going to make the roster I'd say him as well...but I'll toss in there that I feel he will to diversify responses and say two:

Main roster - I truly believe Carrington Valentine was a 4th round type level prospect at CB and believe he has zero business being on the PS, but will be an NFL contributor on ST day 1 and I believe in his rookie deal will be getting plenty of defensive snaps eventually. I see some Jaire in him...not the same degree, but I see it.

Malik Heath WR - this dude was a stud in college and I pray if he doesn't make roster we can hide him on PS.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pulling for Dontayvion Wicks. He is from my home state of Louisiana and grew up in Plaquemine, my grandmother's home town. He also has skills that I think will help the team.

Who are you pulling for?
I like that. I've always had a fond feeling towards guys from smaller towns, and underdogs.

Reaction score
I’ll go DL, Karl Brooks from the Massive Metropolis of Bowling Green, OH. The Packers lost a couple of significant players along the D front in Reed and Lowry and they’ll need at least 2 guys to step up.

Brooks was all over the map in pre draft forecast. As high as Round 2 and as low as Round 7 (we finally found him irresistible at pick #179). He’s hard to project against NFL competition and it’s partly why he was a Combine snub. However he was a noticeable standout at the Senior bowl and that got him noticed. His dominance in the lower MAC Conference was still a compelling reason to look closer at him. Brooks went on to rank #3 in QB pressure rate last season across the entire FBS. Personally, He reminds me of a slightly taller (6’3X300lb.) version of our former “Big” Mike Daniels. His play style is similarly explosive and Karl works his tail off regularly. That effort shows up in his Elite grade pressure rate (PFF;62 pressures/12 sacks in 2022).

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein’s take on Karl Brooks
"The inclination to shrug off Brooks’ production based on level of competition − or because of questions about his positional fit − might be a mistake. Brooks’ snap quickness, footwork, hand usage and motor are all translatable play qualities. His movement and counters are intuitive, allowing for quick access into the backfield. Against the pass, he frequently beat tackles as a bull rusher off the edge. Brooks has the size of a three-technique but the versatility and athleticism to move around a defensive front. He flashes disruptive, three-down talent as a future starter in a one-gap scheme."

Packers' scout Milt Hendrickson on Karl Brooks​

On Brooks's production at MAC level: "The tape is still the tape and what he was able to display even at the MAC, and not to knock the MAC, but there's times you turn on the tape and he's a man among boys."

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pulling for Dontayvion Wicks. He is from my home state of Louisiana and grew up in Plaquemine, my grandmother's home town. He also has skills that I think will help the team.

Who are you pulling for?

I like Wicks and would be surprised if he is not on the final 53.

I'm rooting for Tyler Goodson. I was a fan of him when he was at Iowa and like his burst.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If I suspected Wicks wasn't going to make the roster I'd say him as well...but I'll toss in there that I feel he will to diversify responses and say two:

Main roster - I truly believe Carrington Valentine was a 4th round type level prospect at CB and believe he has zero business being on the PS, but will be an NFL contributor on ST day 1 and I believe in his rookie deal will be getting plenty of defensive snaps eventually. I see some Jaire in him...not the same degree, but I see it.

Malik Heath WR - this dude was a stud in college and I pray if he doesn't make roster we can hide him on PS.
I recently read on Packers Wire that Valentine took away Jean-Charles snaps in practice. MLF had some good things to say about him. He was getting snaps along side Ballentine. Both Alexander and Douglas were not at mini camp. Valentine also played special teams in college and is experienced there. I think we will keep 6 corners and Valentine will be one of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have lots of guys I will be pulling for and as the preseason rolls through, maybe a few names will jump to the top. One guy that we will see a lot of in preseason and I hope will prove he was worth the 5th round pick, is QB Sean Clifford. So many people hated on that pick, simply because "he wasn't projected to go that high." Maybe Gute whiffed and shouldn't have taken him, but from what I have read, he is a good game manager and plays smart. If he can back that up with some decent NFL skills, that is what I want for my #2 QB.

Now I know some only want Gute to draft instant impact players and those people will bring up Aaron Jones and Corey Linsley as examples of much better 5th round picks. Hard to argue that, except to say that a large percentage of 5th round picks, never make any kind of impact. So if you can snag a QB in the 5th, that ends up sticking as the #2 and who knows, someday is good enough to start, I would say it is worth the dice roll.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have lots of guys I will be pulling for and as the preseason rolls through, maybe a few names will jump to the top. One guy that we will see a lot of in preseason and I hope will prove he was worth the 5th round pick, is QB Sean Clifford. So many people hated on that pick, simply because "he wasn't projected to go that high." Maybe Gute whiffed and shouldn't have taken him, but from what I have read, he is a good game manager and plays smart. If he can back that up with some decent NFL skills, that is what I want for my #2 QB.

Now I know some only want Gute to draft instant impact players and those people will bring up Aaron Jones and Corey Linsley as examples of much better 5th round picks. Hard to argue that, except to say that a large percentage of 5th round picks, never make any kind of impact. So if you can snag a QB in the 5th, that ends up sticking as the #2 and who knows, someday is good enough to start, I would say it is worth the dice roll.
Good narrative. Excellent point. Even as a back-up, he'd be successful as a pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Folks that attacked the Clifford pick are merely unreasonable with drafting a back up QB at that stage in the draft. Sure, I had two guys I'd have picked over him (Tanner McKee and Jaren Hall....BUT Clifford was my QB2 for GB (Hall I loved but didn't like as much of a fit here). In the 5th you're drafting one of two types of QBs usually, highly experienced older experience type guy that exhibits unflappable tendencies if needed or HIGH ceiling types with issues to work on. You're not getting a guy that's even a lock to be on an NFL roster come his second year on his rookie deal.

Reaction score

Good points. If I recall our thought process with QB was Clifford was the best QB left (experience fit) and we might’ve taken him a smidge earlier than he was on our board due to positional need. We don’t see that happen very often but QB is such an important position that even 1 round earlier to lock our choice isn’t out of the question. Also we had so many swings right after that selection that it made it more feasible to just lock him down.

That also makes me wonder had we not needed a QB, would we have selected Wicks there. I think they wanted WR but kinda rolled the dice due to need. Just my opinion, but Wicks and Brooks were slightly higher on our board than where they were picked.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen QBs come and go that were taken in the first round of the draft. The same with each round after that. Then I realize that the decisions that determine who you take are based on what the coaches and GM see in the player, that tells them how they might fit into their team structure, whether it's as a new starter down the road, a back-up, or even someone who offers an outside chance of making it onto the practice squad, and is a camp QB at best. Nothing is cut in stone as to how each will fare, after being drafted, regardless of round taken.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. George Blanda, 12th round. Favre, a 2nd round pick. Dan Fouts, 3rd round. Dan Marino was the 6th QB chosen in the 1st round. Joe Montana, 3rd round. Bart Starr, 17th round. These are all HOF guys, and one who will be there tout de suite.

I'd bet a shiny penny that there were fans, and even some experts out there saying; "What are they doing wasting a pick on this guy?" Sometimes they see something we don't. It isn't like they spend five minutes evaluating these guys from a handful of You Tube clips. They get it all, from grade school on, including whether the kid is bright enough to know that you gotta flip the switch to turn on the lights. Some ain't, ya know?

From all I've seen on Clifford, he has what it takes between the ears to be a decent QB. I've also seen statements about how his mechanics aren't that bad, and the arm strength is decent. He has enough in his wheelhouse to be a player who could grow into something more. Ya just don't know.

Conversations like these are awesome!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also we had so many swings right after that selection that it made it more feasible to just lock him down.
I was going to mention that and forgot, so thanks.

With a total of 13 picks, Gute probably felt he had the freedom to swing more freely with his day 3 picks (9 picks). Both Clifford (QB) and Anders (K) were 2 players that he probably doesn't select, if he only has 5-7 total picks.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With a total of 13 picks, Gute probably felt he had the freedom to swing more freely with his day 3 picks (9 picks). Both Clifford (QB) and Anders (K) were 2 players that he probably doesn't select, if he only has 5-7 total picks.
Actually, I like both picks. Anders has a lot of potential, and you're not trying to find someone among those that are left over. Same thing with Clifford. You've made both these choices, allegedly because you saw something in how they did their part in college, that was impressive enough to make you believe they can do well enough at the next level.

Since, as you guys have pointed out, both were considered positions of need, you're not scrambling to find leftovers from the FA list, and you know just how much it's going to cost to lock them in to a contract, for a given period of time.

I agree on that more picks vs less picks philosophy as well. You become more liberal in your choices, when you have more opportunities to make them.

Reaction score

I love how Gutey moved back a hair twice just before the Reed selection at #50 overall. Those mini moves got us #159/#179 and freed up some extra Day3 elbow room. We recouped the #170 from the Jets deal and then some

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
FWIW:

Packers 53-man roster predictions with depth chart after minicamp 2023

Good to hear that Carlson showed off the power on kicks and only missed one. We will see what happens when the pressure is on. The kicking game has been an adventure the last couple of season and what a great adventure it is.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear that Carlson showed off the power on kicks and only missed one. We will see what happens when the pressure is on. The kicking game has been an adventure the last couple of season and what a great adventure it is.

Yes, and when it turns cold, and the wind is howling.

I'm rooting for him, but making kicks in June is a lot different than game action in December.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm rooting for him, but making kicks in June is a lot different that game action in December.
Amen Brother Curly! Amen! As an ex-kicker at a lower level, I can tell everyone that kicking a football in cold weather is like kicking a freaking brick!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm rooting for him, but making kicks in June is a lot different that game action in December.
With all the money that the Packers make/spend, you would think that they could build a large simulator for him to practice in, like golfers have. One that can crank up all sorts of weather, from a blizzard to a monsoon! This taking an iced down ball from a cooler in 90 degree weather, just isn't the same.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts