Where the Packers are in the NFC

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Falcons have done the Packers nice by beating the Saints and 49ers. Today’s win for them gives the Packers a better shot at getting the #1 seed.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Minnesota beats us next week, we would both be 11-4. Split the season series. Who would own the tiebreaker?

We would own the tiebreaker as we have the better Division Record with our sweep of the Bears. We would need to beat the Lions however to maintain that tiebreaker.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the oddest season I can remember. The team is 11-3, currently holds the #2 seed, you'd think I'd be ecstatic. But at the same time, they just don't look that good, they're not playing complete games, the offense sputters, the defense gets shredded at times, and Rodgers doesn't look like Rodgers. Yet, somehow they've been winning.

Next week should tell us a lot. If they get blown out at Minnesota, it won't be a good sign. If they can get a win or play close, that indicates they have some starch in them.
agreed but i don't think next week will tell us anything we don't already know. it's really game to game with this bunch. cringeworthy, inconsistent, meh. suddenly special teams look good. lol

Reaction score
If GB just wins out, there’s several realistic shots at a #1. The Cardinals beating Seattle next week give us a 50/50 shot week 17.
Also the Rams beating 49ers next week gives us about a 50/50 shot

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If GB just wins out, there’s several realistic shots at a #1. The Cardinals beating Seattle next week give us a 50/50 shot week 17.
Also the Rams beating 49ers next week gives us about a 50/50 shot
If we get lucky enough for both of them to lose, the Packers get it by winning out. :cool:

Reaction score
If we get lucky enough for both of them to lose, the Packers get it by winning out. :cool:
Amen. I’ll gladly take it any way we get it. It’s our best shot at a SB appearance.
I don’t like our chances nearly as much going on the road each week. If we can beat MN and Detroit and somehow pull out a #1 seed, I see that as a huge strategic advantage in Mid-January with home crowd support. We could be looking at as little as just a 5 game stretch with 2-3 very winnable games to start to bring the Lombardi back where it belongs. We need to take care of business in Minnesota, it all starts there.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Minnesota beats us next week, we would both be 11-4. Split the season series. Who would own the tiebreaker?
The Vikings play the first-place Packers (11-3) at home on Monday night in Week 16. Should the Vikings beat the Packers, both teams would be 11-4.

The problem for the Vikings is that would improve their division record to only 3-2, while the Packers would drop to 4-1. That means, in that scenario, the Packers would hold the first tiebreaker going into Week 17, when they travel to the lowly Lions (3-10-1) while the Vikings host the Bears (7-7), to whom they lost in Chicago in Week 4.

The Packers need to beat only the Vikings or Lions to take the division. The Vikings need to beat the Packers and the Bears and need help from the Lions. So the Bears might have already played spoiler to the Vikings before meeting in the season finale.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the oddest season I can remember. The team is 11-3, currently holds the #2 seed, you'd think I'd be ecstatic. But at the same time, they just don't look that good, they're not playing complete games, the offense sputters, the defense gets shredded at times, and Rodgers doesn't look like Rodgers. Yet, somehow they've been winning.

Next week should tell us a lot. If they get blown out at Minnesota, it won't be a good sign. If they can get a win or play close, that indicates they have some starch in them.

I 100% agree with the sentiments, BUT the one thing I keep hanging on to is the fact that WE ARE 11-3 and have yet to play our best ball....hold on ya'll this still could get mightedly good if we start operating on all cylinders for a whole game...shoot I'll take 80% of the game (just make the last 10% part of that 80%)

D

Deleted member 6794

With Detroit not playing much defense a 3rd seed game vs the Vikings looks almost like a lock now. Both teams will be 12 and 4. Defense played well today when they rushed 4 or 5. They were just torched when they only rushed 3. Made Trubisky look like Joe Montana when they only rushed 3. Packers are the 5th best team in the NFC and 9th best in the league.

The Packers actually play for at least the #2 seed and a first round bye in Minnesota. Their record indicates they're better than fifth in the NFC or ninth in the entire league.

If my math is correct there's no way the Vikings win a tie-breaker over the Packers even at 11-5 at this point anymore as Green Bay would clinch the division based on a higher strength of victory percentage.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If my math is correct there's no way the Vikings win a tie-breaker over the Packers even at 11-5 at this point anymore as Green Bay would clinch the division based on a higher strength of victory percentage.
yeah...i heard a week or two ago that if we get 12 wins it's done regardless of who beats who.
The magic number is 1. Any Vikings loss or any Packers win clinches the division.

D

Deleted member 6794

yeah...i heard a week or two ago that if we get 12 wins it's done regardless of who beats who.

At this point the Packers are guaranteed to win the tie-breaker over the Vikings no matter if both finish with 11 or 12 wins though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually play for at least the #2 seed and a first round bye in Minnesota. Their record indicates they're better than fifth in the NFC or ninth in the entire league.

While the Packers have squeaked out an impressive record, they got demolished by the Niners and have yet to play close to a complete game. The way they are playing, would they be favored to beat the Niners. Saints, Seahawks or Vikings in the NFC or the Patriots, Ravens, Chiefs with Maholmes in the AFC? Like the MM teams, this team doesn't have the mental toughness to play 4 quarters. They have beaten one winning team in the Vikings. The outcome against the Chiefs was massively skewed in the Packers favor when Mahomes was out. Right now, the Packers are a second tier team with too many holes in the roster to be better than ninth or 10th best in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers have squeaked out an impressive record, they got demolished by the Niners and have yet to play close to a complete game. The way they are playing, would they be favored to beat the Niners. Saints, Seahawks or Vikings in the NFC or the Patriots, Ravens, Chiefs with Maholmes in the AFC? Like the MM teams, this team doesn't have the mental toughness to play 4 quarters. They have beaten one winning team in the Vikings. The outcome against the Chiefs was massively skewed in the Packers favor when Mahomes was out. Right now, the Packers are a second tier team with too many holes in the roster to be better than ninth or 10th best in the league.

I agree that the Packers haven't played a complete game. But they still have found ways to win 11 games, yet fans act like they have lost that many. While I don't consider them the favorites to win the Super Bowl this season they could be a dangerous team if they perform up to potential on both sides of the ball for four quarters.

As a side note, how do you think the mighty Niners feel about their last two games??? Every other team in the NFC has weaknesses as well which can be exploited in the playoffs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a good chance we lose to MN in MN. it's not a newsflash, it's happened often over the years. You're not paying attention though if you think they're head and shoulders better. The Seahawks? You must not be watching them play either if you don't think they have issues. The Saints? I'd really like our chances in Lambeau, maybe not so much in the dome down south but I wouldn't count us out. 49er's, well they got us, but they aren't that good and we aren't as bad as we looked that game either. Ravens? yeah, they look good. The rest? Issues, all of them and I'd be happy to play any of them :)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have beaten one winning team in the Vikings.
A lot of the teams that we defeated had a winning record at the time that we played them though. Not sure how much that matters, but they said on ESPN yesterday we had a 6-1 or 7-1 record against teams with a winning record. Can't remember the exact record, but it sounded about right. Like when we played the Bears this past Sunday, they had a winning record coming in. As the season has gone on, and those teams have sunk, those wins have looked less impressive.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point the Packers are guaranteed to win the tie-breaker over the Vikings no matter if both finish with 11 or 12 wins though.
Hseason. Have to admit that there would be more pressure on us this week if we had lost to the Bears. The fact that we could get blown out and a week later can win another 22-21 game against Detroit to win the division is satisfying. I think we play this one just a little more loose than if we were 10-4.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of the teams that we defeated had a winning record at the time that we played them though. Not sure how much that matters, but they said on ESPN yesterday we had a 6-1 or 7-1 record against teams with a winning record. Can't remember the exact record, but it sounded about right. Like when we played the Bears this past Sunday, they had a winning record coming in. As the season has gone on, and those teams have sunk, those wins have looked less impressive.

It might be also worth mentioning that the Bears and Cowboys currently would have a winning record if they hadn't lost a combined three games to the Packers.

In addition there are only seven teams in the league which have more wins than the Packers (2-1) against opponents currently with a winning record in Baltimore (7-1), San Francisco (4-2), Seattle (4-3), Houston (3-2), Kansas City (3-3), Indianapolis (3-4) and Cleveland (3-6).

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers haven't played a complete game. But they still have found ways to win 11 games, yet fans act like they have lost that many. While I don't consider them the favorites to win the Super Bowl this season they could be a dangerous team if they perform up to potential on both sides of the ball for four quarters.

As a side note, how do you think the mighty Niners feel about their last two games??? Every other team in the NFC has weaknesses as well which can be exploited in the playoffs.
The Niners are banged up and their defense has played poorly the past two games. If the Niners are not that mighty, then the Packers performance vs the Niners is even more dreadful. No team plays great every week, but the Packers have yet to play close to a complete game in 14 weeks. Time is running out for them to look like a contender. They can look good for a quarter and then they R-E-L-A-X with all of the accompanying penalties and missed assignments in the secondary. That is not the mental toughness of a contender.

Reaction score
Man I don’t know. Anything goes once we’re in the playoffs. 10 days ago I watched the Rams just thump Seattle, who scored just two FG’s in 4 quarters.

Then last Sunday, Dallas just makes the Rams look like they should be a 3 Win type team and the Falcons knock off the 49ers on the road?

If GB finished 1 or 2 seed? They’re just good enough to spoil someone’s great season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1: Who exactly have the Vikings beat this year? Seems like you're giving then the benefit of the doubt over GB for no real reason other then it suits the narrative

2: If my math isnt mistaken the Packers are 5-1 against teams .500 or above so the idea that they only beaten one winning team this year is categorically false

3: You seem to be really putting a ton of stock into the 1 in the 5-1 record stated above. Yes it sucked. Still it is one game

4: I'm not sure how math works for you but you listed 7 teams (still curious on why Minnesota gets ranked ahead based on................) and then rated the Packers the 9th or 10th best team...... Math is essentially to everyday life

Baltimore looks like they're in a class by themselves right now but litteraly every other team has warts and has some bad losses and has suffered from the same inconsistency that you seem to only be holding GB accountable for.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners are banged up and their defense has played poorly the past two games. If the Niners are not that mighty, then the Packers performance vs the Niners is even more dreadful. No team plays great every week, but the Packers have yet to play close to a complete game in 14 weeks. Time is running out for them to look like a contender. They can look good for a quarter and then they R-E-L-A-X with all of the accompanying penalties and missed assignments in the secondary. That is not the mental toughness of a contender.
True. They have not played a complete game. Oakland might have been the closest. But they exposed our TE coverage and we had a hard time getting pressure that day. Fortunately, the Raiders D was atrocious in pass coverage.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Packers played a terrible game against the Niners. In addition it's true that they haven't performed at a high level on both sides of the ball for four quarters in any game this season.

Yet they're 11-3 and in the mix for the #1 in the NFC. While they shouldn't be considered the favorite to win it all imagine what could happen if they get hot at the right time.

BTW I used the Niners to make a point that every other team in the NFC has weaknesses as well.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While they shouldn't be considered the favorite to win it all imagine what could happen if they get hot at the right time.
Well, until they actually do that, it will have to be imaginary. However:

Max Kellerman (of all people) said something interesting a few days ago. He was comparing Rodgers' "I like our chances, and I like our team" press conference talk to his "run the table" and "R-E-L-A-X" speeches. And he said when Rodgers starts talking like this, watch what he does next.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, until they actually do that, it will have to be imaginary.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible the Packers won't be able to play a complete game all season and get blown out in the playoffs like vs. the Niners during the regular season.

But they have shown the potential on both sides of the ball to perform at a high level for stretches, they just have to figure out a way to play up to that potential for four quarters. Easier said than done though.