Where the Packers are in the NFC

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Quote 'I swear I seriously doubt some of you are actually fans."

Well there are some Packer fans that believe:

Every pass should be completed, and if not, the quarterback is a has been.
Every offensive play should go for a touchdown, and if not, at least huge first down.
Every defensive play should be a turnover, and if not, at least a huge loss of yardage.
Every special teams play should be, well, special, points or turnover to the Pack.

and if that doesn't happen, they are disappointed, and show it, Believe that the team needs improvement, or at least a new head coach! I doubt that will ever change.

D

Deleted member 6794

what's this got to do with fandom?
oh...so you're saying the obvious problems with the Packers shouldn't/can't be discussed and isn't justified? well shut down the threads about wr's, execution, tactics, personnel, talent, what ever, then. *facepalm*

I'm absolutely fine with constructive criticism of the Packers but with the team at 12-3 there's no reason to use Cowboys fans acting stupid as an example to justify your take on the current situation in Green Bay.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When the team breaks the huddle and lines up for the snap, I DO believe that:
Every pass should be completed, and if not, the quarterback is a has been.
Every offensive play should go for a touchdown, and if not, at least huge first down.
Every defensive play should be a turnover, and if not, at least a huge loss of yardage.
Every special teams play should be, well, special, points or turnover to the Pack.
I just accept that in a league of relative parity it is not going to happen 90%+ of the time.

smacker

Reaction score
When the team breaks the huddle and lines up for the snap, I DO believe that:
I just accept that in a league of relative parity it is not going to happen 90%+ of the time.
I said some, not all fans. I really think age has something to do with it. If you been around long enough to remember Scott Hunter and Randy Wright leading the team, you have a different perspective than if you have only experienced Farvre and Rodgers teams.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said some, not all fans. I really think age has something to do with it. If you been around long enough to remember Scott Hunter and Randy Wright leading the team, you have a different perspective than if you have only experienced Farvre and Rodgers teams.
Yes
Bringing up those 2 names makes us shriek. Nothing personally.

Reaction score
I don’t remember Hunter, but I do remember Randy Wright, Lynn ****ey very well etc.. As a Packer fan in those days you were humble and didn’t even know why. It was a simple way of life pre-cell/computer age and a lull in Packer lore.
One day our grandchildren will see #12 records and he will be our “Joe Namath” so to speak.

Make no mistake.
We are witnessing greatness at QB. The best part is I believe we have some really good football left before Aaron checks down for his final time. That will be a sad and happy day simultaneously for all true GB fans. But as you said, our generation and before will appreciate it most IMO.

GPG!

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Lombardi's statement that if you're not first, you're last. But I was thinking that if we can't win the Super Bowl this year, getting the #1 seed would have been a nice consolation prize. It's an accomplishment of sorts, just like winning the division is.

So with that in mind, we really got screwed last night by the Seahawks, the 49ers, and the refs. Just looking at that bit at the end of the game, Seattle would have won if they hadn't had a brain fart and gotten that delay of game penalty on the one yard line. Or if the refs hadn't missed a pass interference call at the goal line. Or if the office hadn't been too boneheaded to review it. Plus there were two passes to the half yard line that the Seahawks couldn't get into the end zone, one of which was downed at the one inch line.

It is what it is, but just wanted to vent.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don’t remember Hunter, but I do remember Randy Wright, Lynn ****ey very well, etc.. As a Packer fan in those days you were humble and didn’t even know why. It was a simple way of life pre-cell/computer age and a lull in Packer lore.
One day our grandchildren will see #12 records and he will be our “Joe Namath” so to speak.

Make no mistake.
We are witnessing greatness at QB. The best part is I believe we have some really good football left before Aaron checks down for his final time. That will be a sad and happy day simultaneously for all true GB fans. But as you said, our generation and before will appreciate it most IMO.

GPG!
Ah, memories.

Scott Hunter was the most consistently inaccurate thrower I have seen play for the Packers. But he was also a bit of a gamer that put together a few good moments to help get the team into the playoffs one season. Jerry Tagge had an unusually long and slow wind-up for his throws as I recall. He was not blessed with hummingbird wings. John Hadl enjoyed a very brief but expensive cup of coffee in GB -- expensive for GB, that is. Lynn ****ey threw a terrific deep ball and it was very bad luck when he horrifically broke his leg on the last play of a game against the Rams (?). Think Derek Sherrod or Joe Theismann. The Packer defense during his tenure was simply a sieve otherwise he and the team may be more fondly remembered today. Randy Wright is a bit of a mystery for me since I was out of town a lot around that time. Majik was fun to watch and he, like ****ey, certainly was a decent pre-Favrian QB.

Since then, it has been as Al McGuire used to say: "...all seashells and balloons."

But the best Packer QB of all-time was Bart Starr IMHO. Smart, tough, and truly a winner on and off the field. I can never resist the opportunity to heap upon his memory the accolades that he so richly deserves, the most consistently reliable clutch QB under pressure that I have ever seen play. The modern media and fans just don't give him anywhere near the credit he's due. Bar none, I had the most amount of confidence in him as the Packer QB in playoff games than anyone since. Virtually mistake-free. He was money in the bank under pressure. Only one playoff loss, his first, and nothing but "W"s after that. Lots of them. He even called his own plays. He is the penultimate Packer QB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But the best Packer QB of all-time was Bart Starr IMHO...He is the penultimate Packer QB
Many people use 'penultimate' to mean “the very last” or “the very best.” They’re wrong.
If you hear someone say penultimate it sounds like it means “the super-ultimate” or the “extra-ultimate,” as in the very last, very latest, or very best thing.
But penultimate means “next to last” or “second to last.” It’s probably because it adds an emphatic extra syllable to the word ultimate that people think it somehow means “more” than ultimate—but it really means less. ... It’s a formal or literary way of saying “next to last.”

So then who is the ultimate Packers QB???

D

Deleted member 6794

But I was thinking that if we can't win the Super Bowl this year, getting the #1 seed would have been a nice consolation prize. It's an accomplishment of sorts, just like winning the division is.

The #1 seed would have eased the path to the Super Bowl, other than that it's nothing to take any pride in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And it is an embarrassment if you lose that first game.

This really isn't directed at you, but your statement reminded me of this season. I get the feeling that some fans are going to be embarrassed and disappointed in the Packers no matter what happens, unless they happen to win the Super Bowl...by 50 points.

I think when the dust settles on this season, most will look back at it (if they aren't already) and be pretty satisfied with a 13-3 season. Many, including myself, thought this team was in retool mode and would be lucky to make the playoffs. Sure, they didn't blow out teams on their way to 13-3, but they seemed to find a way to win all of the close games except one (Philly).

I hope the Packers continue to ride this overachieving train right to a Super Bowl win, but no matter what happens, this has been a more than satisfying and entertaining season for me already.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Lombardi's statement that if you're not first, you're last. But I was thinking that if we can't win the Super Bowl this year, getting the #1 seed would have been a nice consolation prize. It's an accomplishment of sorts, just like winning the division is.

So with that in mind, we really got screwed last night by the Seahawks, the 49ers, and the refs. Just looking at that bit at the end of the game, Seattle would have won if they hadn't had a brain fart and gotten that delay of game penalty on the one yard line. Or if the refs hadn't missed a pass interference call at the goal line. Or if the office hadn't been too boneheaded to review it. Plus there were two passes to the half yard line that the Seahawks couldn't get into the end zone, one of which was downed at the one inch line.

It is what it is, but just wanted to vent.

IMO just getting the #2 seed with a new HC and offense is huge! I for one didn't think we'd win the division last summer let alone get a playoff bye.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, memories.

Scott Hunter was the most consistently inaccurate thrower I have seen play for the Packers. But he was also a bit of a gamer that put together a few good moments to help get the team into the playoffs one season. Jerry Tagge had an unusually long and slow wind-up for his throws as I recall. He was not blessed with hummingbird wings. John Hadl enjoyed a very brief but expensive cup of coffee in GB -- expensive for GB, that is. Lynn ****ey threw a terrific deep ball and it was very bad luck when he horrifically broke his leg on the last play of a game against the Rams (?). Think Derek Sherrod or Joe Theismann. The Packer defense during his tenure was simply a sieve otherwise he and the team may be more fondly remembered today. Randy Wright is a bit of a mystery for me since I was out of town a lot around that time. Majik was fun to watch and he, like ****ey, certainly was a decent pre-Favrian QB.

Since then, it has been as Al McGuire used to say: "...all seashells and balloons."

But the best Packer QB of all-time was Bart Starr IMHO. Smart, tough, and truly a winner on and off the field. I can never resist the opportunity to heap upon his memory the accolades that he so richly deserves, the most consistently reliable clutch QB under pressure that I have ever seen play. The modern media and fans just don't give him anywhere near the credit he's due. Bar none, I had the most amount of confidence in him as the Packer QB in playoff games than anyone since. Virtually mistake-free. He was money in the bank under pressure. Only one playoff loss, his first, and nothing but "W"s after that. Lots of them. He even called his own plays. He is the penultimate Packer QB.

The fact that Starr wasn't in the top 10 QBs on this 100th anniversary year is a travesty IMO. We all loved Favre but he wasn't the best QB in our franchise's history let alone the league's.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The #1 seed would have eased the path to the Super Bowl, other than that it's nothing to take any pride in.
I disagree, it's an accomplishment, just like winning the division is an accomplishment. I know some people don't see a division championship as an accomplishment, but I've always thought it has some value. It's not the ultimate accomplishment, but it's one of those goals you check off along the way.

I get the feeling that some fans are going to be embarrassed and disappointed in the Packers no matter what happens, unless they happen to win the Super Bowl...by 50 points.
If they win the Super Bowl by one point, I promise not to be embarrassed.

I think when the dust settles on this season, most will look back at it (if they aren't already) and be pretty satisfied with a 13-3 season..
Depends on how it ends. If it ends with one of those debacle playoff losses like Seattle or 4th and 26, that's all anyone is going to remember.

smacker

Reaction score
This really isn't directed at you, but your statement reminded me of this season. I get the feeling that some fans are going to be embarrassed and disappointed in the Packers no matter what happens, unless they happen to win the Super Bowl...by 50 points.

I think when the dust settles on this season, most will look back at it (if they aren't already) and be pretty satisfied with a 13-3 season. Many, including myself, thought this team was in retool mode and would be lucky to make the playoffs. Sure, they didn't blow out teams on their way to 13-3, but they seemed to find a way to win all of the close games except one (Philly).

I hope the Packers continue to ride this overachieving train right to a Super Bowl win, but no matter what happens, this has been a more than satisfying and entertaining season for me already.

No offense taken, and it was not aimed at the Packers or any other NFL team, this year or any other. Just a fact that his how the NFL pundits and fans see it. The Packers have been on both ends too, a wild card team that made all the Division winners look silly and won the Superbowl, and a 15-1 team that lost the first game. Winning the regular season is about getting in the playoffs, the playoffs are about getting hot at the right time. Let's hope our 2019 Packers get hot in 2020!

smacker

Reaction score
Pokerbrat2000 said:
I think when the dust settles on this season, most will look back at it (if they aren't already) and be pretty satisfied with a 13-3 season..

I couldn't find the stats, but I think MLF is the only rookie head coach with a winning record this year. Do you know how lucky that makes Green Bay fans? Regardless of how it ends, looking back, it will have been a very good year all in all. Maybe the wins weren't all blow outs, but hey, they were heart stopping, breath holding, nerve wracking, exciting games to watch, with 13 of 16 having darn happy endings. Isn't that what it is all about?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are sticking to Trubisky so 2 more wins for next year.

Matt Patricia being retained as well but fired 6 assistants so probably 2 wins there too.

Isn't even 2020 yet and we're already 4-0!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pokerbrat2000 said:

I couldn't find the stats, but I think MLF is the only rookie head coach with a winning record this year. Do you know how lucky that makes Green Bay fans? Regardless of how it ends, looking back, it will have been a very good year all in all. Maybe the wins weren't all blow outs, but hey, they were heart stopping, breath holding, nerve wracking, exciting games to watch, with 13 of 16 having darn happy endings. Isn't that what it is all about?

Exactly. I was lucky enough to go to 4 games this season, all wins and all "heart stopping, breath holding, nerve wracking, exciting games" to be at. I felt like I got my $142 + travel expenses worth each time. Would I like a blow out from time to time to somehow "prove to me" that the Packers are legit? Sure. But I have seen some other teams blowout teams this year and then turn around and lose a game they should have won. So at the end of the day 13-3 is pretty nice!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This might be the first year in Green Bay that most of the coaches and staff will be feeling pretty safe when the Packers finish up the season with a win in the Super Bowl. I think as recent as a month ago many of us were calling for the firing of Special Teams coach Shawn Mennenga, but Tyler Ervin probably saved his job.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pokerbrat2000 said: I couldn't find the stats, but I think MLF is the only rookie head coach with a winning record this year. Do you know how lucky that makes Green Bay fans?
On the other hand, how is he going to top this? He's setting a high standard for himself to follow, 13 wins don't grow on trees. Obviously they can look and play better, and he can hopefully achieve some playoff success. If it's all uphill from here, he's going to be one of the best coaches in the game. That's a big if though.