Where the Packers are in the NFC

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition it seems none of you have realized that the other contenders in the NFC have struggled mightily at times as well over the past few weeks, increasing my hopes of the Packers chances to make it to Miami, especially if they possibly have to face only one of the top contenders at home on their way to the Super Bowl.

This is true. A couple weeks ago I would have said the Packers would definitely be one-and-done, but now, they have a chance to make a deep run, assuming they can take care of the Vikings tonight, which I expect they will. Maybe MLF can restore the mystique of the frozen tundra.

Remember though, we are Packers fans, not Bears fans. We have a higher bar, we shouldn't be happy to just make the playoffs. :D

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Remember though, we are Packers fans, not Bears fans. We have a higher bar, we shouldn't be happy to just make the playoffs. :D
I'll certainly be disappointed if the Packers are a one and done, but after the past couple of years, a 12-13 win team and a division crown would be a hell of an achievement in year 1 under Matt LaFleur.

Especially considering that the Packers have only won 12 or more games 7 times in the past 50+ years. And only twice in the Rodgers era.

I know that expectations change later into the season, but try to look at it with some type of perspective to get a real understanding of how much positive has happened in less than one full season with a new head coach with a new system.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still have a chance to become the weakest #1 seed in NFL history.

I believe, may not be correct, but believe we are the ONLY team in the N
This is true. A couple weeks ago I would have said the Packers would definitely be one-and-done, but now, they have a chance to make a deep run, assuming they can take care of the Vikings tonight, which I expect they will. Maybe MLF can restore the mystique of the frozen tundra.

So let's be happy in a young first time head coaching a season MLF and his Packers have been in the lead of the division the whole entire year...control our playoff destiny to a #2 seed, and a realistic chance at the #1 as well.

Or the fact that we not just make the Playoffs but will host in the playoffs.

Or the fact we will most likely end the season 12-4 or 13-3, with what I believe is the 4th toughest schedule in the NFC.

Or the fact we are doing all this despite our obvious shortcomings in the passing game.

I concur, I'm happy for far more reasons than just making the playoffs in all honesty.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

So let's be happy in a young first time head coaching a season MLF and his Packers have been in the lead of the division the whole entire year...control our playoff destiny to a #2 seed, and a realistic chance at the #1 as well.

Or the fact we will most likely end the season 12-4 or 13-3, with what I believe is the 4th toughest schedule in the NFC.

Or the fact we are doing all this despite our obvious shortcomings in the passing game.

I concur, I'm happy for far more reasons than just making the playoffs in all honesty.
The defense is continuing to make strides, and even though the passing game still hasn't completely clicked, it is far from a long term concern for me. Perhaps it won't be a well oiled machine in time for these playoffs, but I'm pleased with the foundation that is being laid out.

And some of that falls on the shoulders of 12. But he knows he has limited opportunities to snag more Lombardi's at this stage of his career, so if there is a "cure" that can be found prior to season's end, he will find it.

The most optimistic fan in me realistically didn't expect a Super Bowl this year (even though I predicted one), but I have always said this:

A top 10 scoring defense + Aaron Rodgers = serious Super Bowl contention. And I'm going to stand by that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and as fans, we all should be. unless you're a player, coach, FO, you have no bearing on the outcomes. I hate to say it, but your fandom doesn't really affect the outcomes of games.

So if all you care about is championships, then wait until it's all over and check the standings to know if you can be happy or sad. For the fans of the game and the team, there is all sorts of stuff to enjoy.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
what does his statement have to do with his fandom or not? nothing!
You seem to be in the minority on that take, so maybe a chill pill wouldn't be the worst thing for you. ;)

Comments like "the weakest #1 seed in history" is over the top. Again, it stems from a complete lack of the capacity to say you know what, I was wrong when I evaluated the 2019 Packers. So I'm going to diminish the accomplishments of the team to stand firm on my BS take from the offseason.

More than a few like that here lately. I wouldn't think it to be impossible to admit that you were wrong and just enjoy the ride. But hey, you stay potato....:whistling:

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to be in the minority on that take, so maybe a chill pill wouldn't be the worst thing for you. ;)

Comments like "the weakest #1 seed in history" is over the top.
you're the one that's easily triggered by opposing opinions. just because he's a realist and not a cheerleader doesn't make him, or anyone, less of a fan. there's a bit of sarcasm/humor in his statement that's gone over your head too. you should hear dallas talk radio today. passionate fans are pounding on them today. it's 100% negative. they're no less a fan today than they were week one. get real.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what does his statement have to do with his fandom or not? nothing!
I agree with you here. A person's level of optimism or pessimism has nothing to do with whether or not he is a fan. Shoot, for all we know, a guy might suffer from depression or bipolar disorder, and be prone to negativity. Besides which, I'm all in favor of being realistic. The Packers stunk in the '70s and 80s, and it was hard not to be keenly aware of that, no matter how many blinders or green and gold glasses you put on.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
you're the one that's easily triggered by opposing opinions. just because he's a realist and not a cheerleader doesn't make him, or anyone, less of a fan. there's a bit of sarcasm/humor in his statement that's gone over your head too. you should hear dallas talk radio today. passionate fans are pounding on them today. it's 100% negative. they're no less a fan today than they were week one. get real.
There's no sarcasm to what he said. He even clarified that he was being a realist. So don't put a false narrative out there.

Again. A simple "I was wrong" would suffice nicely, in place of denigrating the accomplishments of the team. The last time I suggested this toward you, you proceeded to delete your post. So I know there's some truth there.

It's just like twitter. Don't hit post or send unless you really want it out there. A quoted post is forever. Gotta be quick on the trigger. :D

If the Packers were 6-8 right now, you guys would be relentless. Only difference for me is that I have no issue admitting when I am wrong, unlike others.

EDIT: if you can't differentiate between an underachieving, lousy 7-8 football team that cannot win a division with that trash in it, and an 11-3 football team having its best season since 2014 then I can't help you.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just want to put it out there that Favre did it the other 5 times....:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:
That's fine. I like Brett Favre. He was a great quarterback. He also played 16 seasons in Green Bay as the starting quarterback, to Rodgers' 12.

So Favre won 12 or more games 4 times in his first 12 seasons, and this year will be the 3rd time that Rodgers has done it. Favre has the edge by one. Let's also take into consideration though that Rodgers was 5-2 in 2013 before going down with the collarbone injury and 4-1 in 2017 before going down with another collarbone injury. Potentially snagged another opportunity or two for more 12+ win seasons.

Not too big of a difference if you ask me.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no sarcasm to what he said. He even clarified that he was being a realist. So don't put a false narrative out there.

Again. A simple "I was wrong" would suffice nicely, in place of denigrating the accomplishments of the team. The last time I suggested this toward you, you proceeded to delete your post. So I know there's some truth there.

It's just like twitter. Don't hit post or send unless you really want it out there. A quoted post is forever. Gotta be quick on the trigger. :D

If the Packers were 6-8 right now, you guys would be relentless. Only difference for me is that I have no issue admitting when I am wrong, unlike others.

EDIT: if you can't differentiate between an underachieving, lousy 7-8 football team that cannot win a division with that trash in it, and an 11-3 football team having its best season since 2014 then I can't help you.
you can add sarcasm or humor to a post and still be a realist. smh
i've admitted i was off on my prediction of 8-8/9-7 and gave them credit.
as for my post, i deleted it before you posted but it went through as you'd already quoted it.
your last paragraph has nothing to do with the fandom discussion so...idk.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jesus christ can we stop allowing everyone that says anything negative to play the "realist" card..... We've had people talk about how the Vikings were the better team based on nothing that they've done and how they're going to win the division and clearly superior to the Packers.... That's NOT realism. That's being a pessimistic ******

D

Deleted member 6794

you should hear dallas talk radio today. passionate fans are pounding on them today. it's 100% negative. they're no less a fan today than they were week one. get real.

If the Packers would be 7-8 while playing in the weakest division in football some of the criticism posted around here would be justified.

Reaction score
Theres not a team in the NFC we can’t beat if our D plays anywhere close to US Bank Stadium level..
Let’s not let up next week and let’s sweep the entire division 6-0. Monday night showed the GB Defense is legit, but it needs a clock churning, balanced Offense to make it really pop.

I’m content with a #2, but make no mistake, I’m a Seattle fan this week.

Let the road to the SB come through Lambeau in January 2020. Merry Christmas everyone !

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no question that Seattle is trying to give 49ers their best shot with signing Lynch and Turbin. Hopefully they can pull it out. 12th Man is crucial this week.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers would be 7-8 while playing in the weakest division in football some of the criticism posted around here would be justified.
what's this got to do with fandom?
oh...so you're saying the obvious problems with the Packers shouldn't/can't be discussed and isn't justified? well shut down the threads about wr's, execution, tactics, personnel, talent, what ever, then. *facepalm*

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right and we are also not VIKING fans in that we do not expect to capture defeat from the jaws of victory any post season.

Staff online

Latest posts