Where the Packers are in the NFC

D

Deleted member 6794

And it is an embarrassment if you lose that first game.

I don't consider losing a playoff game as an embarrassment but more as disappointing.

I disagree, it's an accomplishment, just like winning the division is an accomplishment. I know some people don't see a division championship as an accomplishment, but I've always thought it has some value. It's not the ultimate accomplishment, but it's one of those goals you check off along the way.

While I agree that winning the division as well as securing the #1 seed is an accomplishment it doesn't matter a whole lot once the playoffs start aside of home field advantage.

I couldn't find the stats, but I think MLF is the only rookie head coach with a winning record this year. Do you know how lucky that makes Green Bay fans?

Not only was MLF the only rookie head coach to have a winning record the other five only combined to win a total of 25.5 games.'

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody care to change their mind? SB bandwagon starting to load up.
For a slight fee, I can arrange to reserve you a spot.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody care to change their mind? SB bandwagon starting to load up.
For a slight fee, I can arrange to reserve you a spot.
I imagine you're gonna have to do some serious price changing should we survive this next game. We beat San Fran, I don't think anyone is beating us.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This team has a massive chip on its shoulder. Justifiably or not, they feel as if they are being disrespected and overlooked by most. Add to that the motivation of a 36 year old quarterback to win another Super Bowl.

Sometimes the team that plays with the most edge tend to go on runs. Something feels a little special and a little different this year.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has a massive chip on its shoulder. Justifiably or not, they feel as if they are being disrespected and overlooked by most. Add to that the motivation of a 36 year old quarterback to win another Super Bowl.

Sometimes the team that plays with the most edge tend to go on runs. Something feels a little special and a little different this year.
I agree, but let's be honest didn't we sorta feel that way prior to our matchup against Atlanta, after we defeated Dallas the way we did? Make no mistake I think we will win, but still.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree, but let's be honest didn't we sorta feel that way prior to our matchup against Atlanta, after we defeated Dallas the way we did? Make no mistake I think we will win, but still.
I didn't. Our defense was a dumpster fire that year and we had next to no running game. That team turned it around based on Rodgers essentially saying I'm going to up my play from a very good quarterback, to him playing the greatest stretch of football I've ever seen a quarterback play.

And what happened against Atlanta was that we ran up against an absolute buzz saw. Rodgers was just about the only person to show up for that game. Defense was a joke, running game was a joke, Rip fumbles the ball on the way to the end zone, Crosby misses an early kick, receivers dropping balls, etc.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only was MLF the only rookie head coach to have a winning record the other five only combined to win a total of 25.5 games.'
Cardinals, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals and Broncos. One coach got fired, two coached tanking seasons. Packers aside, those teams are a dumpster fire.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cardinals, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals and Broncos. One coach got fired, two coached tanking seasons. Packers aside, those teams are a dumpster fire.

That doesn't change the fact that MLF turned around the Packers during his rookie season while the others weren't able close to being as successful.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers won 6 games last year and now they are 1 win from the Super Bowl. There's been some additions defensively that have helped, but LaFleur deserves immense credit for where the Packers are right now.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... but LaFleur deserves immense credit for where the Packers are right now.
Listening to WTMJ pre-game one of the broadcasters (maybe Tauscher?) opined that MLF's biggest leadership contribution was adapting. He's open to changing play design and game planning to suit the players' strengths, and allowing the locker room leaders to lead. GB is not "the players must fit into the system" but actually the opposite.

Another broadcaster chimed in that Ray Rhodes ('99) attempted to be a "players' coach" but was too hands-off, MLF appears to have found a good balance.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With everything that's going on via FA and all, I figured this is a relevant topic that deserves to be brought up. So we have our conference champions

San Fran that rightly deserves to be the favorites, but other than them I think we're right in the mix with everyone else, including NO. With that being said I expect them to take a dip this year. Now if they have a hangover like Atlanta and The Rams did, that would be perfect as they are the only team we really don't match up well against.

NO to me is the media darling, but year after year they keep falling short for whatever reason. ON PAPER I'll give them a SLIGHT edge ahead of us, but we are about a foot behind them.

Seattle deserves respect, even though if you look at their wins they also won alot of ugly games that the media for some reason glosses over, which is funny considering how many times they complained how we won ugly. Wilson had his best season last year and was a front runner of MVP until Jackson ran away with it later on. We'll see how things goes this year.

Tampa Bay is probably the biggest X-factor now that they have Brady behind center. On paper they certainly have the talent to match up with anyone, and I'm hoping the NFC South becomes a bloodbath this year, but again on paper they definitely look formidable.

Minnesota has been a thorn to our side this past year, but when push comes to shove we proved yet again we are better. Outside of injuries I expect more of the same, but we can never take these clowns lightly as they always enjoy playing spoilers.

Chicago has too many question marks on offense starting with their quarterbacks. Their defense is their strength but they can only do so much. Nevertheless, you can never write them off, so they'll be another team to look out for.

Arizona is the team I think we should keep a careful eye on. I'd give them another year or two before they rise to contention, but they will play teams tough and beating them will be no easy task especially with their weapons on offense. They will go as far as Murray can take them. They are my dark horses.

Philadelphia another high tier team when they are healthy. Poor Wentz has got to be one of the most snake bitten players in the past decade, but last year we've seen that he's more than capable of carrying a team on his shoulders with subpar talent.

Dallas *sigh* This team to me is just as annoying as when we have to deal with Chicago and Minnesota. They too are another media darling that makes me rolls my eyes. However while they have the talent, they don't necessarily live up to expectations hence why they are vastly overrated. Admittingly they have a high ceiling with all the weapons they have on offense, and I'm curious to see what McCarthy comes up with. They better get this deal with Dak situated otherwise they'll be in for another disappointing season, in which I won't lose any sleep over to be frank.

Overall if I had to rank these it would be the following
1. San Fran
2. NO
3. Green Bay
4. Seattle
5. Tampa Bay
6. Philly
7. Minnesota
8. Dallas
9. Atlanta (I didn't mention them, but they also have been a thorn to our sides these past few years)
10. Arizona
11. Chicago

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to WTMJ pre-game one of the broadcasters (maybe Tauscher?) opined that MLF's biggest leadership contribution was adapting. He's open to changing play design and game planning to suit the players' strengths, and allowing the locker room leaders to lead. GB is not "the players must fit into the system" but actually the opposite.

Another broadcaster chimed in that Ray Rhodes ('99) attempted to be a "players' coach" but was too hands-off, MLF appears to have found a good balance.
And MLF’s approach is almost the opposite of MM. He knew (or should have known) he had a talented back in Jones, but stubbornly stuck to the passing game. Ironic in that he’s going to Dallas with Zeke Elliott. Something tells me he’ll change his ways, or rather, Jerry will change him.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And MLF’s approach is almost the opposite of MM. He knew (or should have known) he had a talented back in Jones, but stubbornly stuck to the passing game.
MM was reluctant to make Jones the #1 back, even though most fans were clamoring for it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was reluctant to make Jones the #1 back, even though most fans were clamoring for it.
I remember it well. I think Jones’ lack of play during that time had more to do with MM’s aversion to the run, than to his perception of Jones’ talent. MM lived and died by the play of Rodgers’. In the end, that (and other things) cost him his job. After 13 years, he couldn’t adapt. It will be interesting to see if he learned anything in his year off, and that he has maybe the best RB in football (yeah, that last point can be argued - but Zeke is good).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With everything that's going on via FA and all, I figured this is a relevant topic that deserves to be brought up. So we have our conference champions

San Fran that rightly deserves to be the favorites, but other than them I think we're right in the mix with everyone else, including NO. With that being said I expect them to take a dip this year. Now if they have a hangover like Atlanta and The Rams did, that would be perfect as they are the only team we really don't match up well against.

NO to me is the media darling, but year after year they keep falling short for whatever reason. ON PAPER I'll give them a SLIGHT edge ahead of us, but we are about a foot behind them.

Seattle deserves respect, even though if you look at their wins they also won alot of ugly games that the media for some reason glosses over, which is funny considering how many times they complained how we won ugly. Wilson had his best season last year and was a front runner of MVP until Jackson ran away with it later on. We'll see how things goes this year.

Tampa Bay is probably the biggest X-factor now that they have Brady behind center. On paper they certainly have the talent to match up with anyone, and I'm hoping the NFC South becomes a bloodbath this year, but again on paper they definitely look formidable.

Minnesota has been a thorn to our side this past year, but when push comes to shove we proved yet again we are better. Outside of injuries I expect more of the same, but we can never take these clowns lightly as they always enjoy playing spoilers.

Chicago has too many question marks on offense starting with their quarterbacks. Their defense is their strength but they can only do so much. Nevertheless, you can never write them off, so they'll be another team to look out for.

Arizona is the team I think we should keep a careful eye on. I'd give them another year or two before they rise to contention, but they will play teams tough and beating them will be no easy task especially with their weapons on offense. They will go as far as Murray can take them. They are my dark horses.

Philadelphia another high tier team when they are healthy. Poor Wentz has got to be one of the most snake bitten players in the past decade, but last year we've seen that he's more than capable of carrying a team on his shoulders with subpar talent.

Dallas *sigh* This team to me is just as annoying as when we have to deal with Chicago and Minnesota. They too are another media darling that makes me rolls my eyes. However while they have the talent, they don't necessarily live up to expectations hence why they are vastly overrated. Admittingly they have a high ceiling with all the weapons they have on offense, and I'm curious to see what McCarthy comes up with. They better get this deal with Dak situated otherwise they'll be in for another disappointing season, in which I won't lose any sleep over to be frank.

Overall if I had to rank these it would be the following
1. San Fran
2. NO
3. Green Bay
4. Seattle
5. Tampa Bay
6. Philly
7. Minnesota
8. Dallas
9. Atlanta (I didn't mention them, but they also have been a thorn to our sides these past few years)
10. Arizona
11. Chicago
This is a pretty good ranking. It will likely change as the rest of FA plays out, as well as the draft. NO does seem to be cursed. The loss to SF late in the season, and the way it happened with that catch and run by Whittle, seemed to sap some of their confidence. Even so, I did not see Minnesota beating them in the Superdome in the playoffs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember it well. I think Jones’ lack of play during that time had more to do with MM’s aversion to the run, than to his perception of Jones’ talent. MM lived and died by the play of Rodgers’. In the end, that (and other things) cost him his job. After 13 years, he couldn’t adapt. It will be interesting to see if he learned anything in his year off, and that he has maybe the best RB in football (yeah, that last point can be argued - but Zeke is good).
Rather agree with this. Two guys (MM and AR) that are very, very slow to adapt. Would love to hear McCarthy’s honest thoughts on what happened the last 5 years in Green Bay. Would much rather hear his take than Rodgers’s.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm all but convinced that the Buccaneers will miss the playoffs this season.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I don’t think Brady being in Tampa will make any difference, on their playoff hopes, the real back story I think will be between Brady, the coach, and the the GM, since they have given him a big say so in personnel and play calling, but we will see how the egos play out..

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but out of respect for Brady I'll give them a shot.
I don’t know much about the Bucs. Aside from Brady, what other impact players do they have. I know Arians is trying to rebuild on the fly and win now. If not, why pay Brady #30 mil?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know much about the Bucs. Aside from Brady, what other impact players do they have. I know Arians is trying to rebuild on the fly and win now. If not, why pay Brady #30 mil?
That have arguably the best receiving duo in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe, but out of respect for Brady I'll give them a shot.

I believe Brady is done. While he will definitely not turn the ball over as much as Winston I don't expect him to be capable of taking advantage of Godwin and Evans being deep threats.

In addition Brady has benefitted from having top 10 scoring defenses in New England in 15 out of 18 years as the starter.

The Buccaneers on the other side haven't had such a defense since 2010 and finished in 29th and 31st in that category over the past two seasons respectively.

The Buccaneers have a top receiving duo in Godwin and Evans. Shaquil Barrett led the league with 19.5 sacks last season. Other than that ILB Lavonte David is probably still their best player on defense.

Members online

Latest posts