What's the worse loss: Seattle 2014 or Packers 1997?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle became the first defending champion to go back to the SB and lose since the 97 Packers.

Yes, Seattle was in a great position to win the game last night. But the game was supposed to be close - I think NE might have been favored by 1 point. And they lost to Tom Brady/Bill Belichick - those guys will go down as an all-time great QB and coach.

But in 1997, the Packers were favored by 13 points. The NFC had won 12 straight Super Bowls. They were going up against John Elway - the Biggest Choker in Super Bowl History at the time, since he been DESTROYED in all of his previous 3 Super Bowl appearances. And somehow they lost. It took me about 10 years to get over that loss.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle became the first defending champion to go back to the SB and lose since the 97 Packers.

Yes, Seattle was in a great position to win the game last night. But the game was supposed to be close - I think NE might have been favored by 1 point. And they lost to Tom Brady/Bill Belichick - those guys will go down as an all-time great QB and coach.

But in 1997, the Packers were favored by 13 points. The NFC had won 12 straight Super Bowls. They were going up against John Elway - the Biggest Choker in Super Bowl History at the time, since he been DESTROYED in all of his previous 3 Super Bowl appearances. And somehow they lost. It took me about 10 years to get over that loss.
Well yeah that loss hurt because it was so unexpected. The Packers lost because as a team and to a man, they expected a coronation instead of a game. The Seahawks loss will be noteworthy forever because they lost due to the worst call in football history. But the Packers loss two weeks ago will haunt me far longer than the 1997 SB.

ezzy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most definitely Seattle. I expected Green Bay to show up and it would be a close game but the way we out played them for however long it was truly AMAZED me. Then to see it all just slip away so slow yet so fast really hurt.

What makes me feel good is that Seattle had their season ripped away at the .5 yard line.

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
Well yeah that loss hurt because it was so unexpected. The Packers lost because as a team and to a man, they expected a coronation instead of a game. The Seahawks loss will be noteworthy forever because they lost due to the worst call in football history. But the Packers loss two weeks ago will haunt me far longer than the 1997 SB.
This! +1

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ditto. The 1997 loss was tough but, it was one of those cosmic things, John Elway and Company just worked harder. The 2014 NFC Championship was just a total gift to Seattle. That will linger for a long time. I'm glad Seattle/Pats was a very close match-up, one almost expected something crazy in that one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me personally the 1997 loss was worse because I'm a Packers fan. Historically speaking the Seahawks loss was far worse because they had the game won and then blew it on a stupid call to end the game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The Seattle game is the worst loss for me. Time heals all, but this last loss, I believe, will sting for a long time.

However, the '97 SB loss isn't the 2nd worst loss, IMO. That distinction belongs to "4th and 26"...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were beaten by the Broncos. Couldn't stop Davis at all and especially couldn't when it mattered. We've lost 2 out of 3 to Seattle despite "beating" them with the last game being a chance to get to the Super Bowl

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seattle game is the worst loss for me. Time heals all, but this last loss, I believe, will sting for a long time.

However, the '97 SB loss isn't the 2nd worst loss, IMO. That distinction belongs to "4th and 26"...
I think you're right. Much like Seattle's loss Sunday night, that game against the Eagles was lost on one play. Although in the NFCCG two weeks ago, GB had Seattle at 3rd and 19. Instead of blitzing and forcing a quick and likely short pass, Capers decided to rush 3 against the most elusive QB in the NFL. It was just a matter of time before Wilson found an open receiver. But there were so many bad plays in that game, it's hard to decide which bad play was the worst. Like that game against the Eagles, we gave the game to Seattle. Denver simply outplayed us and deserved to win in 97.

But watching Sunday night, I would NEVER want to see the Pack lose on a play like that. That will haunt Pete C. and Seahawks fans forever. Awww, so sad!!!! Now we all have ghosts, and the Pats got a late Christmas present.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Leading up to the Super Bowl ... I compared this Seattle team to the 97 Packers. I could see some similarities... mainly due to a perceived arrogance. Even while in San Diego, I sensed a cockiness in our fans, coaches and players. Denver said nothing but all the right things. Word was leaking out that Paul Allen was sniffing around Holmgren, that team did not seem focused and THAT was all on Holmgren.

Same thing with Seattle... as someone else said, Seattle and their fans expected a coronation.

For me, that Super Bowl loss ... will never go away. Had the Pack beat Seattle and lost to the Pats, that too would have haunted me. The 2010 win did nothing to remove that SB loss pain.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

In 97 I had only been in the Packer camp for 3 years, so I wasn't the die hard, bleed green and gold guy I am today. My daughter was in the halftime show as one of the Dancers. Every night for 3 weeks, I had to drive two hours after work to pick her up from the rehearsals. I couldn't wait for the SB to be over. I got to go in for the full dress rehearsal the night before the SB. That was cool.

I remember when Elway jumped to try and make the first down and did the helicopter. At that point I thought, alright John, you deserve one.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Holmgren lost track of the down when he ordered the defense to let Terrell Davis score the deciding td to preserve time on the clock. Had they held Denver to a field goal they would have been in a much better position to tie and send it into overtime at the end.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Seattle fans really shouldn't feel too bad. After all, their team barely even made it to Phoenix. They should probably feel pretty good that they almost did it, all things considered.

Just...sayin'.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Seattle loss by far will stick with me as the worse loss of the two. We go into Seattle as major underdogs and a gimpy MVP QB, very few thought the Packers could compete against the Sea Schmucks or their #12. Most thinking it would be a blow out. BUT.....All Packer fans are watching this game, jaws open, smiling and saying to themselves for 55 minutes......"Holy *@&$, we are going to the Super Bowl, can you F'ing believe this?" THEN.....the unthinkable happens!

No this will stick with me for a LONG time....all season I was looking for and hoping for a "signature road victory" to confirm the Packers were a great team and in less then 5 minutes we imploded and lost the game pretty much due to our own mistakes.

Denzel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1997 loss wasn't bad at all. That Denver team was insanely stacked, and Green Bay decided they didn't need Andre Rison or Mr. Superbowl MVP, so it wasn't that absurd that we lost.

Also, I LOVE(sarcasm) that you call Elway the biggest choker in Superbowl history. Look at the quarterback ratings his opponents put up against his defense in those Superbowls. Truly historic.

Lastly, Elway's offensive teammate's for the first 3 Superbowl appearances played like the Packers in the playoffs after the 2011 season: it looked like a Snoop Dogg video(Drop It Like It's Hot). Funny how that 'choker' won two championships when his management finally put some talent around him.

TL;DR
Broncos were legit.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elway's numbers in the Super Bowls were never that good. Even when he won, his numbers weren't great. He rode the coattails of Terrell Davis, plain and simple.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In looking back, it's hard to believe the Broncos were double digit underdogs.
That was an excellent team, that maybe had they not rested everyone the last two weeks of the season and took things more seriously, wouldn't have been stunned by Jacksonville in their first playoff game in '96 and would have been the Packers opponent in the previous Super Bowl instead of the Patriots.
But to answer the question, if I had to choose, this Seattle game was the tougher one to swallow.
Denver had a great plan. Neutralize White, Butler and Brown by keeping the ball away from them. Run away from White and Brown, make them chase and tire them out. Make Butler cover Sharpe, then don't throw to Sharpe( if memory serves, Sharpe was targeted once and had no catches). On defense, sell out and blitz . Favre missed a lot of open recievers, and for some reason Holmgren abandoned a successful ground game(sound familiar?Levens had what, one carry in the 4th qtr?).
Sure it hurt to lose a Super Bowl, but at the end of the day, you could live with it knowing you lost to a team a little better that just made more plays.
The "Hawks game was tougher because it was won- repeatedly- and given away. A season's worth of unbelievable mental errors gave the game away. That isn't to take anything away from Seattle; they didn't quit and in the end took advantage of their chances to get the win. The thing is, they were in no position to have those chances without the Packers giving them to them, blowing an all but sure win.
Hard times both, but I'll go with the Seattle game.

Members online

Latest posts