What should be posted on the Packers locker room door...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To: the next world champions
Fr: Ted Thompson, General Manager
Re: Contracts

Gentlemen,

From this moment forward this is the policy regarding contracts between you and the Green Bay Packers.

1)If you don't want to play here, we will work diligently to find you a new job with a new team. We won't, however, do so to the detriment of our salary cap.

2)If you holdout hoping for a new contract, you will not be accomodated until the end of the current contract. That means when you report, you will be at the end of the depth chart, and likely to be on the inactives on game day, no one excepted. You will be fined to the maximum allowed by NFL rules and we will ask for the maximum back on money your received up from your signing bonus.

3)We still will continue our policy of releasing players from contracts early.
While some may argue this is hypocritical, it also can be argued that it gives the player a chance to shop his abilities to other teams via free agency.

4)Anyone who displays an attitude(as determined by the coaches and me) that is not 100% toward the Green Bay Packers winning the championship will be suspended...indefinately...from the team...unpaid.

If you are unclear as to what I mean about any of these four points, I will be happy to talk to you face-to-face in the locker room with the rest of the team present.

Sincerely,

Ted Thompson
General Manager
Green Bay Packers

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice, Net. Unfortunately I cannot see NFL contracts ever having more weight than our old puppy-crush promise rings.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a huge....I mean GARGANTUAN banner hanging across the locker room with the definition of what a contract is. Maybe a waste of time. Something tells me most of these idiots can't read anyway. Especially the douches from Florida State.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net, you might also add:

Remember, this is not the door to the Romper Room. If you intend to whine like a baby about the opportunity we've given you, then don't come in. Rather, this door leads to the home of the world renowned GREEN BAY PACKERS and the only thing we do in here is play football.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that the problem babies won't be there to read it. Players who do stuff like this are so self-centered that they can't see their nose to spite their face. The one thing these guys do understand is a paycheck and the only way to make them understand the importance of living to their contract is to cut their paycheck. It would be much more simple to send a message through Walker that if you don't show up to camp you don't play during the season. Let's really see if he's willing to give up $500,000. I'm betting he isn't.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the stories that came out of the "Ice Bowl" game was of Ray Nitschke telling the offense before the final drive "Don't let me down". I propose the Packers put a life size poster of Nitschke with his toothless glare on the lockerroom door with the afore mentioned saying prominently displayed. This would accomplish two things. First it will instill a sense of the grand tradition and history of the Packer organization in these "New School" kids. Secondly, a lot of these kids may not know Nitschke is no longer with us, and they may think that if they don't give their all, Ray might pay them a personal visit.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Very good net. What would Vince Do?

Ask Jerry Kramer. In his book Instant Replay he talks about when he went to Vince and wanted a pay raise to, if I remember correctly, $27,000. Vince put him through absolute hell during training camp, reminding that if he wanted a raise he better earn it. Vince gave him the raise.

A lot of very intelligent people think Vince couldn't coach football today. They are absolutely dead wrong. They don't really know Vince Lombardi. Vince Lombardi understood people and was a man of principle. Those things stand the test of time. His approach and technique would be different than before because things have changed.But he would know what to do and he would make it work. Since there are so few like him now, he would be better now than before.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree Traxx. Football plays are football plays. You can diagram them in the dirt. There's still only 11 guys on each side.

Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry were the offensive and defensive coordinators with the Giants. They both created innovative strategies which took teams a decade to catch.

There is no doubt in my mind the middle-aged Lombardi could still produce winners in this league. All his players said he wasn't the greatest 'game day' coach, (he let his coordinators run the show) but the players knew where the buck stopped. Walker would be playing elsewhere already if Lombardi was around.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
PackerChick said:
Very good net. What would Vince Do?

Ask Jerry Kramer. In his book Instant Replay he talks about when he went to Vince and wanted a pay raise to, if I remember correctly, $27,000. Vince put him through absolute hell during training camp, reminding that if he wanted a raise he better earn it. Vince gave him the raise.

A lot of very intelligent people think Vince couldn't coach football today. They are absolutely dead wrong. They don't really know Vince Lombardi. Vince Lombardi understood people and was a man of principle. Those things stand the test of time. His approach and technique would be different than before because things have changed.But he would know what to do and he would make it work. Since there are so few like him now, he would be better now than before.
Excellent comment here... Kramer griped his butt off - but was big time glad afterwards.
I certainly agree with TT's approach -- NET (?) - Have you mailed a copy of this to Ted Thompson? You ought to, ya know! He may make you his Press Release guy... should be good for some free tickets at Lambeau!

If it was me, I'd send it to him! Nice write up!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince was a man of principle, the problem is in todays game, no one has any prinicples. I think Vince might be able to coach in todays game, but he'd struggle mightily with the likes of guys like Walker, TO, and Moss. He would have never tolerated Sharpers missed tackles and missed assignments. Maybe I should say, there aren't many players who could play for Vince in todays game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Vince was a man of principle, the problem is in todays game, no one has any prinicples. I think Vince might be able to coach in todays game, but he'd struggle mightily with the likes of guys like Walker, TO, and Moss. He would have never tolerated Sharpers missed tackles and missed assignments. Maybe I should say, there aren't many players who could play for Vince in todays game.
I disagree here - no offense - I think there are plenty of classy personnel in football on a LOT of NFL Teams...

I think Bill Parcells, like him or not, is a standup guy and a damn fine Coach - He has a side to him that reminds me of Bobby Knight - when he speaks you KNOW you're not getting politics... and how can you not respect that... that's just one example..

I think Bill Cowher is of the same caliber, as with Herman Edwards, and so on down the line.... lest we not forget our own Brett Favre, or William Henderson, etc., etc., etc.,... Even if you don't like it - Mike Holmgren is top-drawer, too! All of the above mentioned people are men of principle... and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Ol' Vince could be a real tyrant in his day - and if he were here today, he'd retire rather than not be allowed to be himself - especially with today's rules in the NFL and today's mind-bending salary cap issues and the PC (political correctness) that's now part of the scenery inside football ....whereas, in Nitschke's day - no such thing existed - you could knock someone on their *** all day long and everyone would cheer - nowadays you have to be tons more civil about it on the field (Fergie last year?) which gives the whole game a different flavor...totally unlike back in Vince's day.

Go back and watch some of the old time black and white early Sixties films... see if you can notice one player making it his business ALL game long to take another guy out of football completely (on the other team)..... You'll find tons of evidence - Ray Nitschke was no different than any of the others in that regard... a tough hombre thru & thru...never held back or gave any quarter.

We understand that to be "of legend" these days.. but then again - Would Ray Nitschke survive in today's NFL? Or would he be getting the flag so much Teams would bench his backside in favor of not losing so much yardage in penalties? Maybe, maybe not.... think about it... Should we revert the rulles in the NFL to what they were back in the Fifties & Sixties? Hmmmmm.....

As I say - there's tons of people in the NFL with PRINCIPLE...
It wouldn't be the NFL if there weren't... It'd be the NBA, or MLB, or worse yet - the NHL.

I DO AGREE, however, with the comment that NOT many Players would be able to handle ol' Vince as a Coach... In today's NFL - I see Teams using their Coordinators as the tool to send Vince's message to the Players... quietly, though.... guietly... lest the Press find out about it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Bill Parcells, like him or not, is a standup guy and a damn fine Coach - He has a side to him that reminds me of Bobby Knight - when he speaks you KNOW you're not getting politics... and how can you not respect that... that's just one example..

..that's because they are both (Vince & Bill) JERSEY guys....no bullsh!t!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

..that's because they are both (Vince & Bill) JERSEY guys....no b.s.!
I suppose that's one way of looking at it - but not exactly where I was headed with my comment... Good thought, tho'...

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1."Don't hit women"
2."Crap only in toilets"
3. Hold out = benched for remainder of contract
4. Never let any team beat you in your house
5. "see # 4"
6. "see # 5"

Members online

Latest posts