What one player are you most excited about this season?

D

Deleted member 6794

I do know if Brian Bulaga stays healthy going forward we could finally get back to that type form, especially with Turner and the increased competition behind those guys. I’d like to see them get Elgton involved but I’m very comfortable with Bak, Taylor (or best option) Linsley, Turner and Bulaga.

I’d like to see us add one more premier guy next Offseason at LG. I also wonder if Elgton isn’t being groomed to replace Linsley at some juncture.

I agree that Bulaga staying healthy is important for the offensive line to perform at a high level. Turner was a much needed addition at right guard.

While I don't expect Jenkins to receive significant playing time this season it's possible he will be developed to be Linsley's successor down the road.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naturally I'm going to keep an eye on Gary and Savage. On offense I am interested to see EQ can do. I've always liked him and am rooting for some improvement. In particular if Davis is injured again this season.

I'm also curious to see how they use Vitale. I know the schemes will be vanilla, but I find it all interesting.

Here we go with the hamstring issues again, but that's for another thread.

I just want to see the offense move the ball and see what improvements there are for the defense as a whole.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how Shepard plays. Sounds like he could be a real slot receiver. Unfortunately, he (and others) may not have anyone that can throw the ball to him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One player and why. Can be a starter or even a player fighting for a bubble spot.

Mine is Rashan Gary. I know a little cliche taking the first of the two first round picks, but what excites me is that I was not a fan of the pick in April. Really disappointed to be honest. Now that I’m reading he came to camp at 10% body fat, has been studying up and has been impressing from multiple spots in the front 7, I’m pretty excited to see what he brings to the team. I had low expectations for the #12 overall pick, but if he contributes he can be a massive surprise.
I’m with you on Gary. All I remember reading about him pre-draft was “athletic freak”. Of course once he was drafted, the naysayers came out of the wood to say his production was weak in Michigan. Then another group provided an explanation. His job was to pressure the QB and defend the run. And that was one talented DL in MI.

Now momentum keeps swinging his way as he shows he is a DL athletic freak. The real proof comes when the games count, but I like this guy, even more than Savage who just seems completely ready for the NFL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going with King or Jackson... I know it's only supposed to be one... And my reasoning is this... If either one excells and stays healthy I don't care which one it is... and bare any injuries if they are both healthy all year we could theoretically play out of a nickle or dime (saftey in a lb spot / 3 saftey) package for over 50% of the season... Josh and Kevin on the outside and jaire in the slot. Out of a 3-4 we could have the best matchup rotation of CB's in the league.

So along side Jaire Alexander... I look for one of those two guys to turn out to be the best CB duo if not trio in the league.. bar injury
I’d be happy if King or Jackson took the jump. Because of his athleticism, I think it will be Jackson. Good choices!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I was trying to refer to was productivity. I don't know yet how productive the 3rd w/o will be. Especially since we may have multiple players in the slot if we are lucky. That is, if Davis, Kumerow or one of the TEs can play there effectively. But yeah, if MVS and Geronimo really step it up; it could be a great one two punch.
As for the slot, I think Kumerow is ready for that now. It would be a pleasant surprise if Davis can finally contribute in the receiving game, and slot is his best chance IMO. So far, it looks like he’s stepped it up. It’s also early and I’d like to see it in a real game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m with you on Gary. All I remember reading about him pre-draft was “athletic freak”. Of course once he was drafted, the naysayers came out of the wood to say his production was weak in Michigan. Then another group provided an explanation. His job was to pressure the QB and defend the run. And that was one talented DL in MI.

Now momentum keeps swinging his way as he shows he is a DL athletic freak. The real proof comes when the games count, but I like this guy, even more than Savage who just seems completely ready for the NFL.

It was only one meaningless game but Gary was disappointing in his preseason debut.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was only one meaningless game but Gary was disappointing in his preseason debut.
Agreed. A quick release and power will only get a DL or OLB so far. I wasn’t watching that closely, but never saw him remotely close to Webb III.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston chipped Gary a ton, he was solid (not bad, not great), but he was disappointing?

Bah.

D

Deleted member 6794

Houston chipped Gary a ton, he was solid (not bad, not great), but he was disappointing?

Bah.

Gary didn't come anywhere close to the Texans quarterback. After all the talk about his performance in practice it was disappointing to see.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary didn't come anywhere close to the Texans quarterback. After all the talk about his performance in practice it was disappointing to see.
It was disappointing. I saw the quick get off and the power, but no technique or finesse behind that. A #12 pick should be considered a starter, and he was playing against mostly 2nd and 3rd tier players. What’s gonna happen when the #1s show up on Sept 5th?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the stars of the league are rarely stars in their first season let alone in their first preseason game. he has the physical attributes, from the way he played and the reports in practice, I don't think this guy is afraid of putting in the work to match what he has physically.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the stars of the league are rarely stars in their first season let alone in their first preseason game. he has the physical attributes, from the way he played and the reports in practice, I don't think this guy is afraid of putting in the work to match what he has physically.
I agree. And it’s not fair to judge any player on one PS game, and that’s not what I meant to do. I only wish he had finished a few plays. There’s no denying his speed and power, and my guess is that he will be in GB a long time and finish plenty of games, especially with what appears to be a strong supporting cast on the DL.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely no reason to overreact based on a single preseason game but after reports about Gary dominating during practice I expected him to be more productive vs. the Texans.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont know if it fits here but I am really excited about WR duo Lazard and Shepherd. While Lazard isnt an UDFA from this year, Shepherd is and he really stands out as the only true Slot WR.
Lazard is so damn dangerous with his ball skills and his height and fits exactly in the type of WR the Packers drafted last year. I can really see Davis loosing his spot to one of them and one going to PS because i doubt the Packers will cut Moore this soon.

This years UDFAs and low draft picks really are exciting. I dont know if I ever was this hyped by a UDFA group. Is it only me ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont know if it fits here but I am really excited about WR duo Lazard and Shepherd. While Lazard isnt an UDFA from this year, Shepherd is and he really stands out as the only true Slot WR.
Lazard is so damn dangerous with his ball skills and his height and fits exactly in the type of WR the Packers drafted last year. I can really see Davis loosing his spot to one of them and one going to PS because i doubt the Packers will cut Moore this soon.

This years UDFAs and low draft picks really are exciting. I dont know if I ever was this hyped by a UDFA group. Is it only me ?
I'm excited to see what all those guys can do too. Picking one, I went with Savage, but I was excited about Tonyan last year and still am. add these 2 to the mix as well at WR.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely no reason to overreact based on a single preseason game but after reports about Gary dominating during practice I expected him to be more productive vs. the Texans.
I think it’ll take Gary the course of a season to adjust. During the course of the season, as he learns more pass rush moves, combination moves and counters, and reads... he’ll gradually become a formidable starter.
That said, I think we will likely see more flashes of that but in a porpoise fashion (up and down) until he gets some seasoning and coaching work at this level. Athleticism only goes so far.

Like you, I’m also not going to judge a book by its cover, Its kinda crazy, I’ve never seen so many prophets as I have concerning Rashan Gary.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’ll take Gary the course of a season to adjust. During the course of the season, as he learns more pass rush moves, combination moves and counters, and reads... he’ll gradually become a formidable starter.
That said, I think we will likely see more flashes of that but in a porpoise fashion (up and down) until he gets some seasoning and coaching work at this level. Athleticism only goes so far.

Like you, I’m also not going to judge a book by its cover, Its kinda crazy, I’ve never seen so many prophets as I have concerning Rashan Gary.
I liked what I saw, I saw pieces there. Lots of people show that and never go anywhere, but he doesn't look like someone who's lazy and by all accounts he works hard. I think he's going to get where he needs go with some time.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have several guys I'm very excited about but Aaron Jones tops my list. It would help the offense so much if we actually had a dual threat attack. And watching a dynamic explosive back is one of the most exciting things to watch in sports. We know the talent is there, I just hope he can put together a healthy season while getting 17-20 touches a game.

firstdown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We talk a lot about QB-receiver chemistry, getting on the same page, which generally is taken to mean the receiver running the option route the QB expects and in the way he expects it, allowing the QB to throw the guy open. With the occasional exception, that takes time, repetition and money game experience which translates to receivers, including many first rounders we know now to be Pro Bowlers, not putting up big numbers in their rookie years.

There's another component of the Rodgers-MVS chemistry that I've observed but I've not heard anybody else comment on. Rodgers was not calibrated to MVS's speed last season, with underthrows then overthrows on deep balls. This too takes acclimation through repetition.

Two identical 40 times are not necessarily equal; acceleration curves among players with the same 40 times can be quite different. Some guys make a good time with quick release off the line. Some guys get their burst in the middle gears, James Jones in his prime would be an example. Some guys are more like 100 meter sprinters who hit peak acceleration around that 40 yard mark, Jordy Nelson being an example, which translates to "long speed". Nelson was a Kansas high school state champion at 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters and long jump. Nelson ran a 10.68 in the 100 as a high schooler. No one has ever broken an official 10.00 at that level. I'm not quite dialed in on how to characterize MVS but I'd say quick off the line then a smooth curve up to long speed in full stride.

It's not just go routes; there's the more subtle aspects of that timing, how a guy accelerates out of a break or a double move and the angle taken out of those moves. Long story short, it's a feel thing for the QB that develops over time along with confidence that the guy is going where the QB expects him to go. MVS was getting separation downfield. Now it's up to chemistry and feel to get to the next level of a legitimate deep threat. Aaron Rodgers can make this guy a very good receiver with some tuning on both his and the player's end. Getting safeties to lean that way is a victory in itself, opening up other possibilities.

We have 3 deep threats, not one. Next Gen Stats keeps a record of the fastest 20 ball carriers for each week of the season. In 2018, Valdes-Scantling was on the list 4 times, Davante (??!!) was on it 3 times, and Trevor Davis had one appearance (not bad for only playing in 1 1/2 games).

No Geronimo, no Cobb, no ESB. I knew Davante was quick, but I didn't know he was fast. If LaFleur is as smart as I think he is, he'll put Davante, MVS and Davis out there at the same time. Boy, that'd be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Interestingly, Jordy Nelson was also on the 20 fastest ball carriers list 3 times. Hard to believe, that in his last year of playing, the old warhorse was just as fast as our fastest young guys.

Also worth noting- John Ross, who ran a 4.22 forty at the Combine two years ago, was only on the list twice, as was Antonio Brown. Had Davis not had a 55 yard kickoff return called back, he would have matched the top twenty appearances of both Ross and Brown, with a fraction of their touches.

Having three receivers who are that fast is a huge asset for us, and really should be exploited.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ and Kumerow are locks to make the roster in my opinion. That most likely leaves only one or two spots for other wide receivers.

With the sixth WR on the depth chart most likely not having an impact on offense it will be important for him to excel on special teams. That makes Davis the favorite to get a spot on the 53 as long as he's healthy.

We have 3 deep threats, not one. Next Gen Stats keeps a record of the fastest 20 ball carriers for each week of the season. In 2018, Valdes-Scantling was on the list 4 times, Davante (??!!) was on it 3 times, and Trevor Davis had one appearance (not bad for only playing in 1 1/2 games).

No Geronimo, no Cobb, no ESB. I knew Davante was quick, but I didn't know he was fast. If LaFleur is as smart as I think he is, he'll put Davante, MVS and Davis out there at the same time. Boy, that'd be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Interestingly, Jordy Nelson was also on the 20 fastest ball carriers list 3 times. Hard to believe, that in his last year of playing, the old warhorse was just as fast as our fastest young guys.

Also worth noting- John Ross, who ran a 4.22 forty at the Combine two years ago, was only on the list twice, as was Antonio Brown. Had Davis not had a 55 yard kickoff return called back, he would have matched the top twenty appearances of both Ross and Brown, with a fraction of their touches.

Having three receivers who are that fast is a huge asset for us, and really should be exploited.

While that lineup might work to take the top off of a defense the receivers need to run precise routes to feature a successful pass offense as well.

Therefore Allison and Kumerow will receive a significant amount of snaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

i don't think many did. webb is quick footed and the ball came out quick too. i remember one unblocked guy got him.

Well, Webb was sacked twice and hit four times.

Gary lost contain on several runs as well adding to a disappointing outing.