What one player are you most excited about this season?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will line up with three wide receivers on the majority of snaps on offense.
Not if Vitale carves out 33+% of the offensive snaps. Sounds like OC Hackett loves the versatility and "options" that having Vitale in the lineup gives him. IF they run 2 back (or 2 TE) offense more than we think they might the 3rd WR won't be on the field as often.

The offensive lineup will be able to dictate the defensive alignment to best suit the game plan. I could see Vitale as my 2nd-choice "breakout" player in 2019.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that Adams will receive the majority of targets and be the most productive receiver on the team by a wide margin. The Packers will need Allison and at least another WR to put up decent numbers to have success on offense though. It seems MVS is the front runner to be the #3 at this point.
i'm sure that's true but if the offense is to be less predictable rodgers has to get past his dependency on adams. D's are going to be keying on him and he's probably going to be doubled a lot anyway. it's only smart to go elsewhere. from what i'm hearing allison is working from the 3 more than anyone else...which seems odd to me but this new O is new to everyone.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on how the OP question is interpreted. It seems most of the posts so far interpret it as, "who do you like to breakout this season"? On that basis, MVS is the guy that comes first to my mind.

Broadly speaking, having Rodgers at QB is always the chief cause for excitement. Otherwise, what's the point given the alternatives?

Having seen something many times kind of takes away the excitement for me. I know what Rodgers can do and while his play is exciting its almost more expected. While watching Rodgers return to MVP form would be exciting to watch as it is happening its not what is getting me excited building up to the season because its not really a stretch to think it can happen. To give a comparison at the QB position as Browns fan I would be excited about Baker Mayfield because he gives me something I have not seen in a long time.

What is getting me excited is the changes on the defense and the potential for something very big to develop. There are a lot of guys who could contribute to that. Gary is just one of them. Savage and Alexander would be good choices too as would Clark (although I think most of us are expecting big things from him and maybe even Alexander already) and Amos and even the Smiths. Seeing if King can stay healthy and develop or Jackson step up those are the types of things that excite me for the upcoming season. Something that I think a player can do but he has not really done it yet. I want to see that jump.

Now you may say that is the definition of a breakout player but seeing someone break out is exciting and players with the potential to break out are the ones that excite me most. Guys who have done it year after year make me wonder if they can keep it up.

If I look at the offense MVS would be a great candidate but there are other options at WR so if its not him but one of the others it doesn't really matter to me. For me its Aaron Jones. Partly because I love a strong running game and partly because we haven't had one since Lacy in his early years ( which I realize wasn't all that long ago and brings up the question can you even have early years when your career is that short?)

Bottom line for me is that I am not excited about this season because of Aaron Rodgers. We have had Aaron Rodgers for a long time now and as long as he stays healthy he will be good (and exciting.) What we haven't had in a while is a defense like this. A defense with so many players that should be really fun to watch develop.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haven't been keeping up with this year's talents. So i'm just curious how Clay Matthews will do. Never thought I'd see him in another jersey. Well, that could be said about Nelson too. You see, the problem comes down to this...I bought his jersey that was "on sale" for $100...something long time ago. Now I would look pretty stupid going to a game wearing his jersey. Come to think of it I don't even want to purchase a jersey of the guys we have now. Now sure who is good or who will stay. Do we have any player who is #62 and have the same last name "Matthews?" I could change the number 5 to 6.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
haven't been keeping up with this year's talents. So i'm just curious how Clay Matthews will do. Never thought I'd see him in another jersey. Well, that could be said about Nelson too. You see, the problem comes down to this...I bought his jersey that was "on sale" for $100...something long time ago. Now I would look pretty stupid going to a game wearing his jersey. Come to think of it I don't even want to purchase a jersey of the guys we have now. Now sure who is good or who will stay. Do we have any player who is #62 and have the same last name "Matthews?" I could change the number 5 to 6.
I got a David Bakhtari Jersey last year and my husband (a Pats fan) got a Shaq Mason Jersey. Matching #69’s and Bakh is the best player on our team.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The obvious choices are Savage and R, Gary, but I think the guard Jenkins. It would be huge for now and years to come if he ends up being a stud, a la Sitton. If he does, and if we can draft a good right tackle next year, we would appear to have a very strong OL with very solid depth for the remainder of Arods years.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King... He should be our #1. And will be if he plays up to his potential. Imo

I think Jaire will be a pro bowl player for several years, he's so talented and will be our #1, but I agree that King has a lot of ability and would be a very strong #2. I like him a lot, he just needs a healthy 2020. I wasn't sold on Josh Jackson when we drafted him, even though I'm an Iowa fan, and I still have a lot of doubts. Hopefully, he can become at least solid at some point this season. Being out all of camp so far really hurts, he needs a lot of work on technique.

Reaction score
If he does, and if we can draft a good right tackle next year, we would appear to have a very strong OL with very solid depth for the remainder of Arods years.
First. I want nothing more than Jenkins to succeed and we’re in agreement there. Aaron Rodgers, however, could easily play into his 40’s. We absolutely, positively can’t back off of continually rebuilding the O -Line year to year. We said the same thing a few years ago and then got decimated because we were unprepared to have adequate depth at OL and failed to keep the OLine resources throttle down. There’s too many ways to lose OL players through the years ((through the games for that matter).

Aaron Rodgers (and Kizer) is getting mauled back there and this is the only year we’ve supplied him with adequate resources going back a decade. Thank God for Mr Lightning in a bottle David Bakhtiari or we’d be in big big trouble. #12s injuries have largely been due to his ability (or ill attempt) to scramble away from a horrific pass rush. Rodgers mobility will diminish over the years and we’d better wake up or this being content thing with being “ok” will be our demise.
We ranked bottom THREE in sacks in 2018. That’s absolutely pitiful when considering we invested 100M guaranteed at QB. Everything. And I mean everything hinges on #12 staying upright going forward. I’m 100% positive they kept players such as Marcedes and invested in both FA AND the draft at OL for once because MLF understands this concept thoroughly.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First. I want nothing more than Jenkins to succeed and we’re in agreement there. Aaron Rodgers, however, could easily play into his 40’s. We absolutely, positively can’t back off of continually rebuilding the O -Line year to year. .

Which is why I also said to draft a quality Right tackle next year. Don't disagree at all with you. I'd love to see at least a mid round pick used on an OL every year. You can find good ones in the 3-5 rounds.

Reaction score
Which is why I also said to draft a quality Right tackle next year. Don't disagree at all with you. I'd love to see at least a mid round pick used on an OL every year. You can find good ones in the 3-5 rounds.
Absolutely you can (and we have) found some in those middle rounds. But also throw an occasional top 1-2 draft day selection or grab a starter capable one in FA or both. The default need to protect the QB pocket/support the Run (which takes pressure off the QB also) is curving into the more relevant year to year as a QB ages. Aaron deserves that and has earned that protection. In particular after these last few seasons. We should error on “too many resources” at OL if there is ever a question in doubt.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much what Gute did his first year, drafted Jenkins in 2nd round and added Taylor in FA. He seems to understand the game is still won with the big boys up front. TT way undervalued guards in particular.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It appears Ka’Dar Hollman has been getting quite a few first team reps. This could be very exciting as well. The secondary is so young and deep this year. I’m eager to catch a few preseason games this year to see how they work together.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much what Gute did his first year, drafted Jenkins in 2nd round and added Taylor in FA. He seems to understand the game is still won with the big boys up front. TT way undervalued guards in particular.
It’s hard to say he undervalued guards when Sitton and Lang were some of the best guards in football for many of those years

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m hoping for Jase Sternberger to show he can break on to the scene. I surely don’t think it will be early, but maybe second half of the year.

Savage and Gary need to be good. King needs to be healthy. Maybe Mount Adams arrives.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King... He should be our #1. And will be if he plays up to his potential. Imo
I think Jaire will be a pro bowl player for several years, he's so talented and will be our #1, but I agree that King has a lot of ability and would be a very strong #2. I like him a lot, he just needs a healthy 2020. I wasn't sold on Josh Jackson when we drafted him, even though I'm an Iowa fan, and I still have a lot of doubts. Hopefully, he can become at least solid at some point this season. Being out all of camp so far really hurts, he needs a lot of work on technique.

I'd be satisfied if they were both so good no one could really say who was #1.

Reaction score
If Hollman can live up to his hype? We could get really good really fast. Imagine him being just good enough to bump Tramon down a spot and King being healthy. The tandem of Alexander, King and Hollman being backed up by Amos and Savage, with Tramon and Jackson filling in off the bench would be formidable.
My actuary table sais after all these past failed draft pics.. it’s that time we should luck out on a late round draft pick that plays up to first round grade ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Not if Vitale carves out 33+% of the offensive snaps. Sounds like OC Hackett loves the versatility and "options" that having Vitale in the lineup gives him.

I highly doubt Vitale plays anywhere close to 33% of the snaps this season.

i'm sure that's true but if the offense is to be less predictable rodgers has to get past his dependency on adams. D's are going to be keying on him and he's probably going to be doubled a lot anyway. it's only smart to go elsewhere. from what i'm hearing allison is working from the 3 more than anyone else...which seems odd to me but this new O is new to everyone.

While Rodgers will definitely target Adams the most I agree it would be smart not to solely depend on him making plays.

Aaron Rodgers (and Kizer) is getting mauled back there and this is the only year we’ve supplied him with adequate resources going back a decade.

The Packers offensive line actually has been pretty good in pass protection over the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Vitale plays anywhere close to 33% of the snaps this season.
You may be right, you may be wrong? 2018 offensive snaps broke down as: Jamaal Williams - 48.6% ; Aaron Jones - 35.01%; Ty Montgomery - 13.97%; Danny Vitale - 1.77%; and Kapri Bibbs - 1.58%. There were 17.32% of the offensive snaps that didn't go to Williams or Jones.

This is a different offense than MM's so I'll stand by my desired 33+% going to the "Ultra Back" Vitale who may be paired with Jones/Williams, replace them on 3rd downs and/or get work as the H-Back/motion TE to create mismatches.

D

Deleted member 6794

You may be right, you may be wrong? 2018 offensive snaps broke down as: Jamaal Williams - 48.6% ; Aaron Jones - 35.01%; Ty Montgomery - 13.97%; Danny Vitale - 1.77%; and Kapri Bibbs - 1.58%. There were 17.32% of the offensive snaps that didn't go to Williams or Jones.

This is a different offense than MM's so I'll stand by my desired 33+% going to the "Ultra Back" Vitale who may be paired with Jones/Williams, replace them on 3rd downs and/or get work as the H-Back/motion TE to create mismatches.

LaFleur used two running backs on only 26% of the offensive plays with the Titans last season. With the Packers having Rodgers at quarterback I definitely expect that number to decrease this season.

Members online

Latest posts