What one player are you most excited about this season?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
One player and why. Can be a starter or even a player fighting for a bubble spot.

Mine is Rashan Gary. I know a little cliche taking the first of the two first round picks, but what excites me is that I was not a fan of the pick in April. Really disappointed to be honest. Now that I’m reading he came to camp at 10% body fat, has been studying up and has been impressing from multiple spots in the front 7, I’m pretty excited to see what he brings to the team. I had low expectations for the #12 overall pick, but if he contributes he can be a massive surprise.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One player and why. Can be a starter or even a player fighting for a bubble spot.

Mine is Rashan Gary. I know a little cliche taking the first of the two first round picks, but what excites me is that I was not a fan of the pick in April. Really disappointed to be honest. Now that I’m reading he came to camp at 10% body camp and has been impressing from OLB and DE, I’m pretty excited to see what he brings to the team. I had low expectations for the #12 overall pick, but if he contributes he can be a massive surprise.
I had Dexter Williams on my 53 man roster... (Dantés thread) But with recent pick ups on rb and with Hacketts familiarity with Corey Grant (grant has special teams experience), if Williams fails to impress during preseason, poor blocking and no contributions in special teams, won't be surprised if Williams doesn't make 53 man roster. Reporters have said theyve seen him do a very poor job blocking but Preseason is coming and we have a long time till then.

Reaction score
From what I’m reading thus far..
Rashan from the Rookie class. Also believe Aaron Jones could finally have a stellar year in this new system.

Rashan will no longer be a primary focus for Defenses like he was at the collegiate level. Kenny Clark will have to be accounted for at all times and that in itself should provide Rashan with more 1-1 matchups. I think the opposition will be very alarmed and fans will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly Rashan becomes a focus player for opposing Offenses to try to stop. As a RB, he’s not one I want to race to the edge, so he’s going to force cut backs into traffic. Part of that traffic will be guys like Darnell, who modus operandi is to feast on RBs who are indecisive or are buying time in the backfield while looking for a cutback lane.
Also, with his notable initial jump and at 4.58 speed he’s near as fast as many RBs. His straight line speed is significantly (near .10 sec) faster than Clay Mathews in his prime, but I believe he has a bigger motor and a higher potential career ceiling than Clay. That’s not said lightly or a slight on Clay who was solid until a few years ago.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mine is Rashan Gary. I know a little cliche taking the first of the two first round picks, but what excites me is that I was not a fan of the pick in April. Really disappointed to be honest. Now that I’m reading he came to camp at 10% body fat, has been studying up and has been impressing from multiple spots in the front 7, I’m pretty excited to see what he brings to the team. I had low expectations for the #12 overall pick, but if he contributes he can be a massive surprise.

I'd have to agree. If early reports hold true I will be happy to see so many people eat crow. I can't say I was for or against the pick at the time but I was more than willing to give him the benefit of at least proving himself which some people didn't seem willing to do.

Not really a guy that excites me as I never heard of him before but after seeing this I'm kind of pulling for Gerhard de Beer

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41070797-4

VegasFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going with King or Jackson... I know it's only supposed to be one... And my reasoning is this... If either one excells and stays healthy I don't care which one it is... and bare any injuries if they are both healthy all year we could theoretically play out of a nickle or dime (saftey in a lb spot / 3 saftey) package for over 50% of the season... Josh and Kevin on the outside and jaire in the slot. Out of a 3-4 we could have the best matchup rotation of CB's in the league.

So along side Jaire Alexander... I look for one of those two guys to turn out to be the best CB duo if not trio in the league.. bar injury

D

Deleted member 6794

Also believe Aaron Jones could finally have a stellar year in this new system.

Jones has performed at a very high level when healthy. He needs to prove to be able to take the beating though.

And my reasoning is this... If either one excells and stays healthy I don't care which one it is... and bare any injuries if they are both healthy all year we could theoretically play out of a nickle or dime (saftey in a lb spot / 3 saftey) package for over 50% of the season... Josh and Kevin on the outside and jaire in the slot.

The Packers have lined up in either nickel or dime on way more than 50% of the defensive snaps for years (81% last season).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Tonyan exploding on the TE scene! He's the big/fast TE we've missed since Finley went down and I'd love for him to earn AR's trust and become "the man".

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Robert Tonyan exploding on the TE scene! He's the big/fast TE we've missed since Finley went down and I'd love for him to earn AR's trust and become "the man".
I got absolutely roasted in May when I predicted that Tonyan would be TE1 or at least splitting time with Jimmy Graham by the halfway point of the season. Lots of people were saying he will be lucky to make the team. Now he’s rolling with the ones. Kid has so much potential as pass catching TE, can’t wait to see what he can do when he’s unleashed!

D

Deleted member 6794

I got absolutely roasted in May when I predicted that Tonyan would be TE1 or at least splitting time with Jimmy Graham by the halfway point of the season. Lots of people were saying he will be lucky to make the team. Now he’s rolling with the ones. Kid has so much potential as pass catching TE, can’t wait to see what he can do when he’s unleashed!

I wouldn't put too much stock into Tonyan lining up with the #1 offense occasionally during practice in the early stages of camp. It would be a huge surprise if he ends up being the #1 tight end on the depth chart by the end of this season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Kumerow, probably. There's been enough hype on him past two seasons and hope he doesn't turn into another .... you know who. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darnell Savage. If he lives up to his billing, he's going to change the way the Packers are able to play defense.
All of them :)

But Savage is my guy. He just impressed upon me when watching his stuff that he's a very smart football player along with being a smart guy. And they way he plays physically. He can play the ball, the man and he can cover ground in a hurry. He's physical when needed without putting himself at a physical disadvantage, if that makes sense. he's smart about it without taking the tuck and whiff angles like we've seen from another guy, but he doesn't blow himself up like Kentrell Brice either.

I just think he's going to be a playmaker all over that field, in the defensive backfield and the offensive backfield alike. he's going to allow others opportunity to make big plays too because of what teams are going to have to account for from him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll break it down in few categories of most excited...

to cement themselves as one of the best...Davante Adams. I've loved him since he came here and I truly believe he is perhaps the first receiver Aaron has had that would be great no matter where he plays (with or without Aaron). Now it doesn't hurt to have 12 tossing to him but still...

for them to explode onto the relevant scene...Aaron Jones. The growth he showed was eye catching...the skillset and abilities are there...I'm hoping we got a little lightning in a bottle for 2-4 years.

to be the overlooked man proving still relevant...Fackrell. I'm banking on all the signings and drafting Gary has Fackrell set to go one of two extremes (there will not be middle ground). He will either continue to be a top contributor OR will become irrelevant and be a distant memory come 2020 and his 2018 season will merely be something only die-hards remember.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers. Sorry, had to do it. I do think that he will have chemistry with all of his receivers. So watch out!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mine is Rashan Gary.
me too. so much is riding on him being a stud and being cheap for a few years. it goes for all the rookies and 2nd year players. hopefully those extensions and rodgers leaving coincides. too much overlap and there's going to be ridiculous trouble.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of them :)

But Savage is my guy. He just impressed upon me when watching his stuff that he's a very smart football player along with being a smart guy. And they way he plays physically. He can play the ball, the man and he can cover ground in a hurry. He's physical when needed without putting himself at a physical disadvantage, if that makes sense. he's smart about it without taking the tuck and whiff angles like we've seen from another guy, but he doesn't blow himself up like Kentrell Brice either.

I just think he's going to be a playmaker all over that field, in the defensive backfield and the offensive backfield alike. he's going to allow others opportunity to make big plays too because of what teams are going to have to account for from him.

Savage may be more important than Gary to develop quickly as I think there is for more depth in the pass rush positions than the pass defending positions. If Gary struggles early on I think we have enough to cover for him. We are banking on Savage to develop quickly opposite Amos.

There are simply a lot of names on this list and for the first time in a long time I am more excited to see what this defense can do than the offense. Probably partly because of the fact that despite the new system I am reasonably confident that the offense will be a top 10 offense. I think the defense can be too but there are so many people to watch for it to happen. If they all blossom look out.

D

Deleted member 6794

to be the overlooked man proving still relevant...Fackrell. I'm banking on all the signings and drafting Gary has Fackrell set to go one of two extremes (there will not be middle ground). He will either continue to be a top contributor OR will become irrelevant and be a distant memory come 2020 and his 2018 season will merely be something only die-hards remember.

I fully expect Fackrell to return to being an irrelevant player on defense. I have never seen another player luck into a double digit sack season like him.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its so hard to pick one player given all the changes this team made. Im very excited to see how both the offense and defense as a whole will perform. If I had to pick one it would probably be Gary though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The second-year jump is most often talked about for young players development. But with some guys, the lights don't really come on until year 3.
Hopefully, that's what we're seeing with guys like Tonyan and Adams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Fackrell to return to being an irrelevant player on defense. I have never seen another player luck into a double digit sack season like him.

While that scenario does excite me, that doesn't mean I expect the better of the two outcomes. If forced to place a bet I'm with you.

H

HardRightEdge

It depends on how the OP question is interpreted. It seems most of the posts so far interpret it as, "who do you like to breakout this season"? On that basis, MVS is the guy that comes first to my mind.

Broadly speaking, having Rodgers at QB is always the chief cause for excitement. Otherwise, what's the point given the alternatives?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS does seem to be a real breakout player for this year. I hope so. But he still has not beat out Geronimo imho. Yes, he is faster and maybe can get deep more often. But how are his first down catches going to be? Not sure who or how much the 3rd w/o will be doing. But yes, I am excited about MVS.

D

Deleted member 6794

MVS does seem to be a real breakout player for this year. I hope so. But he still has not beat out Geronimo imho. Yes, he is faster and maybe can get deep more often. But how are his first down catches going to be? Not sure who or how much the 3rd w/o will be doing. But yes, I am excited about MVS.

The Packers will line up with three wide receivers on the majority of snaps on offense. Therefore MVS doesn't have to move past Allison on the depth chart to receive significant playing time.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will line up with three wide receivers on the majority of snaps on offense. Therefore MVS doesn't have to move past Allison on the depth chart to receive significant playing time.
What I was trying to refer to was productivity. I don't know yet how productive the 3rd w/o will be. Especially since we may have multiple players in the slot if we are lucky. That is, if Davis, Kumerow or one of the TEs can play there effectively. But yeah, if MVS and Geronimo really step it up; it could be a great one two punch.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I was trying to refer to was productivity. I don't know yet how productive the 3rd w/o will be. Especially since we may have multiple players in the slot if we are lucky. That is, if Davis, Kumerow or one of the TEs can play there effectively. But yeah, if MVS and Geronimo really step it up; it could be a great one two punch.

There's no doubt in my mind that Adams will receive the majority of targets and be the most productive receiver on the team by a wide margin. The Packers will need Allison and at least another WR to put up decent numbers to have success on offense though. It seems MVS is the front runner to be the #3 at this point.