1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What made you a Packers fan?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 This is the life.

Ratings:
    +960
    The History The Fans and the team colours everything, not forgetting the cheese!

2. DixiePacker

DixiePacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The history and legacy of the Packers and Reggie White lol

3. rp3303

rp3303 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

This is why haha

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    I was the first person in my family to watch sports on TV. I was 9 years old. The Packers were on almost every week even though we lived in a Detroit Lion area. I knew every player by name and number. Bart Starr was my hero. I always sweated it out through the playoffs. It was great fun. I read every Sports Illustrated article about the Packers I could find. Never stopped being a fan.

5. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Welcome to the forum from the greater Motor City area.

6. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    Thank you. Glad to be here.

7. debbie

debbie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Well , on espn they did a farv vid with him running around nude(fun not real) and i laughed so much i just had to check out the team, but i also read how much the club gives back to the community and that the team are owned by the fans, so i have been hooked ever since. i just wish i could buy a share, just the one would do but outsiders cant buy them:mad:

8. IamAthimble

IamAthimble Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I remember seeing them playing on TV when I was six or seven years old, I'm 19 now, so it wasn't eons ago, and I had seen all the other teams when my dad would watch the games. None of them really stuck out to me, until the Packers. My reasons were very childlike then, I noticed they had the coolest combination of colors, the best helmets, they just caught my eye and I immediately went and told my dad I had my favorite team and it was the Green Bay Packers. They've been my team since, and even though I still think we have the best colors and uniforms in the game, I love them for more than that now.

Anyway, it's amazing that I could witness this team win a Super Bowl so recently. And did they come out with the best looking Superbowl ring of all time or what?

9. guilbert

guilbert Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I come from far east asia, there was no NFL there until I migrated to canada. there is hockey and CFL here, but no NFL. my cousin from washington intoduce me to the world of NFL, until I become familiar with the game and the organization. my cousin is a huge redskins fan and would send me redskins stuff here, I kanda like the redskins all their stuff, but the only thing I dislike is their organization the way Dan Snyder runs the team, the team sucks from top to bottom. then I ask my cousin that I cannot support and stomach the redskins no more. So I need to find a team that is more organized and disicpline, then I started to learn that the packers is offering a stock purchase to the public. and said to myself geez this is the only team sport that is publicly owned, and it is possible to support the team even you are far away from wisconsin area. so after I puchase a stock I can now consider myself a fans and owner of the packers. So my cousin and I still related on the blood only, but started to bash each other team., both on the NFC, and would like to watch together if our team plays against each other. I am new to the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I have a feeling you either were the one that made the video or know the person in it ;)

11. SuperJoe

SuperJoe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Superbowl XXXII against the Broncos was the first one broadcasted in Romania so it was my first full football game. The Packers lost, but I liked them from the start so that's when it began. I only had to wait till last year for them to win it all again. And this year I have some hopes of making it to Wisconsin so who knows, maybe my first game on Lambeau...

12. RB1958

RB1958 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I moved to the New York area in the late 77 from England before there really was any kind of exposure to the NFL in Europe. Some of my co-workers took me to a few Jets and Giant games but quite frankly I found their fans obnoxious (and still do). In the first week of December I had a business trip to Racine, WI and the people I was visiting invited me to tag along to the Packer-Lions game. It was one of the first close games I had seen and was the first one that didn't bore me. And despite the (to me) frigid weather I had an awesome time. I liked the history of the team, the fans, and was hooked. I've made numerous trips to games over the years thanks to kind invites from people I got to know. My one goal is however to take my daughter to a game. She's been a fan since she was kneehigh to a grasshopper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    True story...Was last Wed, in suburb or Milwaukee..Menomonee Falls..Took my dad to local pick n save for grocery shopping..

Guy at check out says nice of the son doing this for dad...He said he moved from Chicago to help his mom now..Got to talking about Packers..Then he informed me he was a Bears fan...With out skipping a beat I looked at him and said...Dropped on head to many times as a kid? He said no, then I said...Ahh to many times as an adult...Got him to laugh

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. ClemsonFan

ClemsonFan New Era Packers Fan

Ratings:
    +5
    I was blindly led to the slaughter to become an Arizona Cardinals fan without knowing how bad they tend to be or how awful the front office(especially the Bidwills) can be at times because one of my relatives lived in Arizona at the time, and I associated the Cardinals with Arizona and I didn't know what I was getting into with the Cardinals.

After I found out the truth about the Cardinals, I felt betrayed,cheated, lied to, and misled so I started on a quest in search of a new team and I chose the Packers because one of the people I look up to is a packers fan who was my violin teacher, another man who is now deceased that gave me a great opportunity was a Packers fan, the fan base is die hard, we have a great front office, I live near a Green Bay sized city, the fans own the team and not some rich aristocratic big-whig person, the Packers are not perennial losers doomed forever, we have a solid amount of fans outside of Wisconsin, and the Packers tend to be a pass-first offense and an offense-first team. I also prefer cold weather to hot weather..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PackersandPokemon

PackersandPokemon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I was born a Packer fan, and it runs in the family.. Well, aside from my mother's side (grandpa and aunt are bears fans; I forgive them, they're from Illinois and don't know any better). Some of the earliest memories I have are at Packer parties on Sundays watching Favre and hearing my family shout at the TV. And there is just so much to love about the history of the franchise, of great players and honorable men, and the legendary games over the years.
    After three generations of diehard Packer fans, I am proud to follow the family tradition with my dad's Ray Nitschke-autographed napkin in a Packer collage on my wall.

16. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Sailing the seas of cheese

Ratings:
    +55

17. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Sailing the seas of cheese

Ratings:
    +55
    Grew up going to L.A. Rams games in the 70's and 80's. They played at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Orange County. My Dad always watched the Pack even though he was a California native as well. In 1994 I decide the only way to be completely passionate about football was to pick a team for life. A team that was the essence of true grit football. A team with history and pride that would make the toughest man misty eyed. Reggie White traded over from Philly and this Brett guy from Atlanta. I got sucked up into a Green and Gold tornado and my feet have not touched the ground since. My wife and I have been together for 3 years and married for a little over 1. She never had an interest in football. In the past 2 years i have patiently taught her the good rules the bad rules and the ugly. Thank you Clay Matthews for keeping her attention long enough to make her a fan and a women who can correctly call a play before it has been reviewed.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Archangel

Archangel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    All of the above.
    Brett Favre and my grandfather being the main reasons. My grandfather played for the Packers, and when I was born, it was the same year Favre was traded to the Packers. Since that day, I've been a fan of the team. Favre being my favorite football player. Grew up in Detroit, it was either be a Lions fan or a Packers fan, Bears and Vikings had no importance.

I love this team, we have a great fan base, great leadership, great players, and great coaches. It may freeze in Lambeau, but everybody wants to be a Packer.:tup:

19. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    I grew up in Superior, WI so either you're a Packers fan or a fan of the Viqueens. Lucky for me I was born into a family that loves me so I am a Packers fan. My dad and I never missed a game together on tv until the day I left for college. Now that I am here in Fargo I am surrounded by purple. Hopefully I'll be moving back to WI once I am done. Just doesn't get any better than watching a game surrounded by other Packer fans. That's one thing, even when I am out of state if another Packers fan sees me wearing anything Packers, I get yelled at "GO PACK!" My friends who aren't Packer fans think we are nuts. I've been to Lambeau field once when I was a small kid and it was the biggest building I had ever seen. Hopefully I'll see a game there someday soon!

• Like Like x 1
  20. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    I lived in Superior for a short while and was completely miserable on game day because I had to drive darn near to Ashland to find a bar that carried the Packers game versus the Vikings...the TV stations were all out of Duluth, so guess what...yeah, flippin' Vikies. Drove me absolutely crazy

21. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    Really? I've never had trouble finding somewhere to watch a game in Superior

22. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,888
    I met up with a friend in Green Bay in 2004, and stayed in the hotel just across from Lambeau. I had been a big fan of American football since back in the 80`s, watching it weekly here in England, but had never really felt any loyalty to any particular team. I did the stadium tour in the May of that year and was hooked. I returned in the October to see the Packers beat the Cowboys, did the stadium tour AGAIN and AGAIN, and that was it. I loved Green Bay as the people were so friendly, and most of the people at the Stadium were amazed that an Englishman had travelled all that way to see the Packers...lol
    I have a shrine to them in my living room which amuses my wife, and when we won the Superbowl last year, I had a Packers tattoo. So I`m afraid that now it`s Packers for life.
    We got married in Vegas two years ago when "He" played his first game against us and beat us, which damn near ruined my honeymoon, but thankfully didn`t.
    I have strong views on "Brent Faver", and think he betrayed us. God...I love my Packers.
    I engage in light hearted abuse of any Bears, Vikings or Lions fan that travel through my place of work, although ANY team is fair game for abuse.....lol

23. CDNCheesehead

CDNCheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Grandpa sat me down when I was young and said these words to me "You are now a Packer fan. There will be no other team." I'm now 26 years old and haven't looked back since!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Headrush

Headrush Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Sup folks?! New here... all the way from Upstate NY (Finger Lakes)

Been a fan since around 1980. Dad n my Uncle were fans and indoctrinated me with stories of the sweep and Bart Starr. How can you resist that? Dad used to force his brother to recite the entire OL and DL of the 1966 Pack too when they were kids. Have a sis n bro in law in Janesville too so that stoked the fire a bit a few years ago

25. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52
    When I was a little tyke I went to the drug store and decided to use my nickel to buy my first package of football cards with a big stick of gum and a decal inside. When I opened it up the first card was this player with yellow hair named Paul Hornung. His team was the Green Bay Packers. I never heard of this place called Green Bay. Nevertheless, curiosity told me to surmise this team.
    Come Sunday I was watching the Packers-Bears game with my father. When I saw Paul Hornung carrying the ball I started cheering him on. My father became so disgruntled and bewildered. " Don't you want to root for the Bears?" he cried. He became more disenchanted as the years went on and I was a devoted Packer Backer and he was stuck with George Halas.