What made you a Packers fan?

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love reading everybody's stories.

I was born in the Milwaukee area and my parents had season tickets to all the Milwaukee games. I got to go quite a few times and see them play at County Stadium and when all the home games switched back to GB I had the privilege of seeing them at Lambeau once before my parents decided to give up their tickets.

The Packers are ingrained in me- watching them (and football in general) gives me all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings and memories- except when it feels like the Pack is giving me a coronary, but I suppose that's all a part of the experience too, lol. It means I really care, right?

I live in Texas now but it just goes to show that you can take the girl out of the Cheese but you can never take the Cheese out of the girl. Go Pack Go forever!

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Haha I actually grew up in a family full of Bears fans go figure, I starting liking the Packers when I was really young because of they're colors ha but as I got older and started to fallow more and more of football I learned about the Packers history and fell in love with the team. I was also a really big Brett Favre fan but now my favorite players consist of
Greg Jennings, Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson.
can't wait for the repeat! Go Pack Go!!

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grew up in the Chicago burbs, but I could not stand the Bears or Bears fans. I found them classless, trashy, and they encourage playing dirty. When the team was doing well, they all jumped on the bandwagon. When they lost, everybody's head was on the chopping block. Even as a young teen, I couldn't stand for these things.

My brothers soon began following the Pack, and I admired the teamwork, integrity, and passion. The players actually interacted with their fans, and the fans lived and breathed Packers, win or lose. This was something I could stand for.

Sure I was ridiculed for being the oddball that actually liked the Packers, but trust me, I got the last laugh.

They still think it's a little bit weird that I know so much about football as a female. I'm quite the smacktalker, but I back it all up! Last January in Disney World I was wearing my jersey for the first playoff game, and was approached by a Pats fan. Let's just say the whole bar got in on it and I won that battle :) A couple weeks later, same happened with a Steelers fan. I don't lose when I talk about football, and it doesn't hurt that we've won 12 straight..

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Grew up in the Chicago burbs, but I could not stand the Bears or Bears fans. I found them classless, trashy, and they encourage playing dirty. When the team was doing well, they all jumped on the bandwagon. When they lost, everybody's head was on the chopping block. Even as a young teen, I couldn't stand for these things.

My brothers soon began following the Pack, and I admired the teamwork, integrity, and passion. The players actually interacted with their fans, and the fans lived and breathed Packers, win or lose. This was something I could stand for.

Sure I was ridiculed for being the oddball that actually liked the Packers, but trust me, I got the last laugh.

They still think it's a little bit weird that I know so much about football as a female. I'm quite the smacktalker, but I back it all up! Last January in Disney World I was wearing my jersey for the first playoff game, and was approached by a Pats fan. Let's just say the whole bar got in on it and I won that battle :) A couple weeks later, same happened with a Steelers fan. I don't lose when I talk about football, and it doesn't hurt that we've won 12 straight..

you sound like me lol, I talk so much trash I would love to talk football with you sometime.

GigaPaladin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Packers fan. Been one since the day I was born. First t-shirt I ever got came from my grandfather and it had the logo on it. I was raised watching games, and still watch them every week to this day. My grandfather, who passed away last year was the biggest Packers fan I've ever met, and he had me going the same way. I cheered them through 4-12, and through 3 Super Bowls, and I'll cheer them till the day I die. I have other teams I like...but the only team I cheer for is the Packers, and anybody playing the Vikings, Bears, or Redskins. Bleed Green.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score

You go, girlfriend. Just because we have different body parts, doesn't mean we can't be well versed in football.

D

Dan115

I first discovered the Packers by accident one Sunday in 1961. I was eight years old at the time and I was trying to pickup on the radio the football game that this new team (vikings) were playing.

I came upon the Packers vs Cleveland Browns game. I didn't know all that much about pro football at the time however I had heard of Jimmy Brown and I knew the Browns were a good team.

This Green Bay team was just killing the Browns! The radio announcer ( I think it must have been Ted Moore) was very bias towards the Packers and he definitely won me over. I was no fool I had discovered the New York Yankees of Pro Football. Who cares about the vikings! I was hooked on The Packers and besides they killed the vikes twice that year. Each week I would get my radio out and listen to the Packers rather than watch the vikings on tv.

My father had our tv antenna changed in 1964 and at last I could watch my heroes each week on channel 8 out of La Crosse.

In 1964 my family took a trip to Green Bay and I was able to see the Packers train camp and get a few autographs. It was great.

50 years latter I am as big a Packer Backer today as I was in my youth. I named my son Bart Taylor . The Packers get in your blood. It is like a religion. When they win I am on cloud nine and when the clock runs out on my team I get depressed. Win or lose they are my GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here in the UK, we started getting regular highlights of the NFL in the early 80's; and I became a fan of the game. After a few years of watching as a neutral, I decided it was time to pick a team to support. So I researched the teams; and was attracted to Green Bay for a number of reasons.

1) The history and tradition of the franchise
2) At the time, they had gone 20+ years without a Championship, so I couldn't be accused of jumping on a bandwagon
3) Their loyal fanbase
4) A simple, classic uniform
5) An outdoor stadium, football was meant to be played in all sorts of weather
6) The clincher......... the fact that they were owned by the community and not some rich ego-maniac

It was a decision made by my head.........but many years later, my heart knows it was the correct choice.

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys. Long time packers fan here from Canada. I decided the previous packers forum I posted on was too small and I couldn't read about all the hardcore stuff so I joined here.

Anyway my story begins during the winter of 99 when I was in grade 5. My jacket zipper broke so I couldn't zip it up. My mom decided to buy me a new jacket. My favourite colour has always been green and my mom just came back from the store with this green jacket with a big G on it. I thought it was the greatest jacket ever. I wore it to school the next day and I got a lot of comments about my new jacket. Mostly things like "packers suck" from a teacher and some students. It was only then I realized that G meant something on my jacket.

Anyway a few years later I watched a football game and I saw that G logo again. At this point I had worn that jacket for years and I just felt like they were my team. Never looked back.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys. Long time packers fan here from Canada. I decided the previous packers forum I posted on was too small and I couldn't read about all the hardcore stuff so I joined here.

Anyway my story begins during the winter of 99 when I was in grade 5. My jacket zipper broke so I couldn't zip it up. My mom decided to buy me a new jacket. My favourite colour has always been green and my mom just came back from the store with this green jacket with a big G on it. I thought it was the greatest jacket ever. I wore it to school the next day and I got a lot of comments about my new jacket. Mostly things like "packers suck" from a teacher and some students. It was only then I realized that G meant something on my jacket.

Anyway a few years later I watched a football game and I saw that G logo again. At this point I had worn that jacket for years and I just felt like they were my team. Never looked back.

LOL! Nice! The teacher actually said Packers suck? Wow!

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL! Nice! The teacher actually said Packers suck? Wow!

Yeah lol. I was pretty pissed because I thought he was saying my jacket looked bad on my first day wearing it. It is one of those things though, wear whatever gear of any team and someone will tell you that team sucks. If one of my friends bought a vikings jersey, my first reaction would be to inform them that the vikings do in fact suck.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah lol. I was pretty pissed because I thought he was saying my jacket looked bad on my first day wearing it. It is one of those things though, wear whatever gear of any team and someone will tell you that team sucks. If one of my friends bought a vikings jersey, my first reaction would be to inform them that the vikings do in fact suck.

Yeah, I've heard our team referred to as the Fudge.......... one too many times. :roflmao:

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score

If he were a true friend you would be obligated to tell him the Vikings suck.

"Friends don't let friends support the Vikings."

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he were a true friend you would be obligated to tell him the Vikings suck.

"Friends don't let friends support the Vikings."

My best friend knows nothing about football. He has decided he now likes the Lions and cheers for them. I watched the lions and falcons game and then the packers and vikings game with him on Sunday and he barely even watched the games. He started playing doodle jump on my phone for a large proportion of the games.

DocSkittles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in L.A. and a family friend bought be a Packers t-shirt when I was about five. It's been on ever since. I don't remember a lot from the 70's, but I recall the 80's and on. ****ey was a start in the right direction. Magic Man did awesome and QB's my the first Packers game I ever went too; Rams vs. Packers in Anaheim. Then Favre showed up and it was time to make up for some rough years and was really nice to be able to talk trash for a change. Now, Rodgers is on the stage and the future looks great and he did awesome in the last Packers game I went to; Super Bowl XLV!

Firecrotch979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'll never know. I was very young when I started calling myself a Bay fan. Maybe it's because my Dad is a Dallas fan, and at the time, he didn't like Green Bay. Either way, I feel like I made the right choice.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
Not what MADE you a Packer Fan in my case... I am a MINNESOTA Vikings fan, but if they end up relocating to Los Angeles (or Toronto, yep there's talk of them possibly being moved to the Land of Hosers) I'll be forced to don the Green and Gold since you support your local team. It will pain me beyond belief and I may not watch NFL football for a few years, but I'd drop them since they are no longer the Minnesota Vikings.

Just in case....

~Val

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad had bought me a green bay packers jacket when I was 7-8 ... and it all started from then.

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what MADE you a Packer Fan in my case... I am a MINNESOTA Vikings fan, but if they end up relocating to Los Angeles (or Toronto, yep there's talk of them possibly being moved to the Land of Hosers) I'll be forced to don the Green and Gold since you support your local team. It will pain me beyond belief and I may not watch NFL football for a few years, but I'd drop them since they are no longer the Minnesota Vikings.

Just in case....

~Val

Why would you have to be a packers fan? You can always pick another team or stay with the vikings if they did move. It would be real interesting if the vikings moved to Toronto because then they would be in my area and I would be a packers fan in enemy territory all of a sudden. Wearing my packers gear could be pretty dangerous then. That is why I hope something like the bills move to Toronto since there is no bad blood between the two and I could watch bills games without hating them.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like a good time to re-post this since a few of you may be questioning my Packer fandom. I understand that by the way. Most of my posts have been very Niner-centric. If anyone has been offended, I apologize.

I moved to Texas after living in the SF Bay Area for 43 years and I'm a full time Niner fan and part-time Packers fan. "How does that happen?" you might ask...

My dad was born & raised in Milwaukee and is a die hard Packers fan. He won't even watch other pro games unless it's with me to watch a Niners game. We both enjoy watching each others teams play so I grew up watching both. In fact the only NFL game I've been to is a Packers game against the hated Raiders when I was a kid. I've never been to a Niners game! The only time I don't cheer for the Pack is when they play my Niners. But dad and I have a great time when they do!!!

I truly relish the rivalry that the Packers and Niners had in the 90's. And I hope that that rivalry will be re-ignited after this post-season and continue for the next decade!

GO NINERS!!! - GO PACKERS!!!

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like a good time to re-post this since a few of you may be questioning my Packer fandom. I understand that by the way. Most of my posts have been very Niner-centric. If anyone has been offended, I apologize.

I truly relish the rivalry that the Packers and Niners had in the 90's. And I hope that that rivalry will be re-ignited after this post-season and continue for the next decade!

GO NINERS!!! - GO PACKERS!!!

Bro,

With that signature, you could root for the Bears or Vikings and STILL be o.k. in my book! :roflmao:

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
They discussed this about 4 or 5 months ago. Like Cleveland, Minnesota would (supposedly) retain the name Vikings and the logo. I couldn't lend support to the team if Wilf sells out to interested parties in LA or Toronto. It just wouldn't be the same. Think about it this way, if somehow the Packers moved to Salt Lake City, would you still support them? It just isn't the same. I've lived in LA... it is a hole. Been to Toronto and where as the city is pretty cool, it is Argonaut territory. lol

I've always had a grudging respect for the Packers and their history. They are a top-notch organization.

~Val

Why would you have to be a packers fan? You can always pick another team or stay with the vikings if they did move. It would be real interesting if the vikings moved to Toronto because then they would be in my area and I would be a packers fan in enemy territory all of a sudden. Wearing my packers gear could be pretty dangerous then. That is why I hope something like the bills move to Toronto since there is no bad blood between the two and I could watch bills games without hating them.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
They discussed this about 4 or 5 months ago. Like Cleveland, Minnesota would (supposedly) retain the name Vikings and the logo. I couldn't lend support to the team if Wilf sells out to interested parties in LA or Toronto. It just wouldn't be the same. Think about it this way, if somehow the Packers moved to Salt Lake City, would you still support them? It just isn't the same. I've lived in LA... it is a hole. Been to Toronto and where as the city is pretty cool, it is Argonaut territory. lol

I've always had a grudging respect for the Packers and their history. They are a top-notch organization.

~Val

Val, you sound like a closet Packer fan. :D

Nothing wrong with that, you've seen the light now embrace your destiny: You are a Packers fan. (The best sports franchise in the world.) :tup:

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL yeah... he's getting ready to come out of the closet too...

Now that GB is the Best team in the NFL!

You know whats gonna make Val really mad though....
Havin' to deal with Ponder as a QB for the next 5-6 yrs.... when they were just a few more losses away from getting 'LUCK'y

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts