What made you a Packers fan?

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember back in the 60's in junior high school most of the guys would have a favorite football team . It would be a subject of much discussion and competition. Wanting to participate I became interested and wanted to have my favorite team also. Living in New Jersey however most exposure was to the Giants and to a lesser extent the Jets. We would also see the Cowboys, Colts, Rams and the Packers because of the national broadcasting of playoff games. What it came down to me was a choice between the Cowboys and Packers. I guess because of the Packers victories over the Cowboys in 66 and 67 I chose the Packers. I also remember liking their uniform colors better

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Visiting the stadium, doing the tour, visiting the hall of fame and then returning in the October to see them beat the Cowboys.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
How did I have a choice? While I was born in Rockford Ill and could have been excusably a Bears fan, I was raised in Madison from age three until I was twenty. I was brainwashed into loving the Packers.

It didn't hurt that I was there for all of Lombardi's years!

Mugwump

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am an old fart who grew up during the 60's. That said, I never really got into football until around 66, and was a Packer/Roman Gabriel fan. As time went on Gabriel retired and only had the Pack. Now I suufered the 70's into the 80's and stayed with GB. I loved Brett, but never became a GB Farve fan. As soon as he said he retired I rooted for GB and Rodgers. Will be a Packer fan for life, but if they can get Gabriel to come out of retirement I would still cheer for him, but not against the Pack.

IowaDean

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grandparents were Packer fans. Grandmother was from Elroy.

Just passed it down to me.

Champagne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

When I first played youth football, the greatest team and greatest coach were the Packers and Vince Lombardi. After all of these years, nothing has changed. The greatest coach of all time was Mr. Lombardi, and the greatest teams of all time were his Packers.

KyPackerCobb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grew up and live in Louisville Ky where my whole family is full of cheeseheads because Paul Hornung is extended family (my third cousin). Also did'nt hurt that my childhood was Brett Favre in his prime throwing rockets all over the field, I was amazed.

brodzki

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started watching football in 1995 and I loved how faces would run around and just launch rockets. Always loved watching him.

Then when i finally made my first game in 2007 it was a dream come true.

Brian Demarest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Rams fan but I've always loved the Packers.

They are publicly owned.

They live in god forsaken (during winter) blizzard country, play OUTDOORS, and you can't keep the fans away. I'm pretty sure you guys have snowmobile and tractor parking. In LA they would abandon a team for not having fast enough valet parking.

A consistently good product.

Vince Lombardi.

If Missouri ever needs to to invade Illinois, we know we can count on you.

Pack89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fan from Montreal, Canada. Started watching football 2 years ago and was extremely entertained watching the Packers. Also, I made a trip to Wisconsin and was amazed to see the city streets were empty and quiet on gameday, I was in Appleton. Being a community-owned team was another factor for my support of the Packers.

DavidRusso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
I was born in Long Island, so my family tried to push the Giants on me. It worked. Until I was 11 that is. My uncle who was a die hard Packer fan offered me 10 bucks to like the Packers, since 10 bucks to an 11 year old was quite a bit, I took it. So I started watching Favre, Freeman, Green and driver. I just fell in love. Since that day I have had no love for any team other than the Pack and I never will. Go Pack Go!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was born in Long Island, so my family tried to push the Giants on me. It worked. Until I was 11 that is. My uncle who was a die hard Packer fan offered me 10 bucks to like the Packers, since 10 bucks to an 11 year old was quite a bit, I took it. So I started watching Favre, Freeman, Green and driver. I just fell in love. Since that day I have had no love for any team other than the Pack and I never will. Go Pack Go!
Bet 2007 and 2011 season enders really stung. :cry:

NCcheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin and got to meet Bart Starr, at his house, when I was about 6 years old. Apparently, I had a distant relative that worked in the Packers front office and she set it up. What I remember is a man, larger than life reaching over a chain link fence to shake my hand and talk to me. I remember asking him to play football and he told me that he couldn't because he had to cut the grass. I have been a Packers fan ever since.
This Thanksgiving I am flying the family from N.C. to our very first Packers game in Lambeau. We are hoping to meet other life time Packers fans during the tailgate, but do not want to impose on anyone else's party. Please let me know if you are going to be there and if it is OK for us to stop by and introduce ourselves.

Robertloren

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im from Sweden and started watching football 2009, just a few games a year at that time. The Packers and were among the first games I watched and it stuck with me, I'm happy to say :) The last 4 years I have never missed a Packers game (even though the time difference can be a bit of a pain, ET +6 hours) and I will finally see them live this december in Oakland!

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in a small town in Wisconsin. I have fond memories of watching the Packers on our black-and-white Zenith. We had a "magic" television; my dad would yell and cheer on the players, then the noise was sent by a special signal down to the playing field. Now I have my own "magic" television, much to the amusement of my non-sports loving husband.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
When i was younger (10) I thought I was a Tennessee fan because I live in Houston and this was before the Texans. Then one day I watched a Minnesota and Green Bay game with Brett Favre. I remember laying there on my grandmas couch and being memorized by the way Favre played. I honestly didn't know much about football just loved watched that game and have been a fan EVER since!

Members online

Latest posts