What made you a Packers fan?

David22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in California and have been a fan since birth. My father was also born and raised in California and became a fan in 1965 after the Packers beat the Browns in the championship game. He was born in 1957. I honestly think he became a fan at the right time, obviously to us, that was during the Lombardi era. He got into football all on his own. I'll always be a fan, like him, but my earliest memory is when they won in Super Bowl XXXI over the Patriots.

BlueRaptor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawk fan here, but growing up in the 1960s long before we had a Seahawks team, we in the Northwest either favored the LA Rams, Vikings or Green Bay Packers. I personally liked the Vikings and Rams, but my parents bought me a letterman's style Packers jacket for my birthday - green with yellow sleeves. I hated it. But after Super Bowl I and II, I was proud of that jacket, and Bart Star became a hero of my youth.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

We didn't have a team in Seattle when I was a kid. I was already 27 by the time we got our own franchise. We have a huge slice of Northern Europeans, Swedes and Norwegians which I always associated with the Packers...I don't even know why.. Are you guys being the Cheese Heads and everything from THAT part of the globe?

Anyway.. it just seems that what with my Gramps having played Pro Ball way back in the day in your part of the U S way out in the sticks that our family liked the Packers.

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know what made me into a Packers fan. Live in the UK so it's not like I am local to Green Bay.! Although I damn well wish I was. Just got mesmerised by them when I first started watching your football. It's not like they were too hot at the time - so I wasn't jumping on any bandwagon - but they were just the ones for me. Couldn't have made a better choice. Just wish that the NFL season lasted a wee bit longer. Miss it when the season ends.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We didn't have a team in Seattle when I was a kid. I was already 27 by the time we got our own franchise. We have a huge slice of Northern Europeans, Swedes and Norwegians which I always associated with the Packers...I don't even know why.. Are you guys being the Cheese Heads and everything from THAT part of the globe?

Anyway.. it just seems that what with my Gramps having played Pro Ball way back in the day in your part of the U S way out in the sticks that our family liked the Packers.

That would make you about 2 years younger than me! Holy cats. Us old farts have to stick together.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first post.

I am canadian and I started watching american football in 2011. I had moved into a new apartment and as a result I received free digital cable for a couple months, which coincided with the beginning of the NFL season. The first NFL game I ever watched was the Season Kickoff between the Saints and the Packers, the game where Cobb ran one back. It was a great game, and I was instantly hooked. The next sunday, I sat down to watch a football game and the Packers were playing again. They won of course. Over the next few weeks, every single Packers game was on my TV and they kept winning and winning. I loved watching this team. The way they played offense was like poetry to me and the defense's ability to force a turnover on any play had me riveted. I followed that great 15-1 season with much enthusiasm. They must have broadcasted about 14 Pack games that season in my region. I finally realized that I had become a Packer fan after experiencing extreme disappointment after losing to the Giants on Divisional Weekend.

Ever since then I have been an avid fan, and I follow the team quite closely. Having started watching them just months after they became world champions, I have never seen the Packers win the superbowl and I hope they crush Seattle this sunday and whatever chumps they might meet in Arizona on Feb. 1st.

Go pack!

Aussie Sean

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm from Australia, I have always enjoyed watching the NFL but never really found the right team to support, it was more of going for a team on the day. But then I went to Hawaii for a holiday and meet some guys from America who are Packer fans, that weekend we went to the pub to watch the packers play and the guys from America filled me in on the history of Green Bay Packers. A few hours latter and a few more Budweiser's I had my first Green Bay Packers Jersey.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm from Australia, I have always enjoyed watching the NFL but never really found the right team to support, it was more of going for a team on the day. But then I went to Hawaii for a holiday and meet some guys from America who are Packer fans, that weekend we went to the pub to watch the packers play and the guys from America filled me in on the history of Green Bay Packers. A few hours latter and a few more Budweiser's I had my first Green Bay Packers Jersey.

When did you first realize you were a "Sean"? I have been one for 65 years and in the beginning I found it annoying. Teachers insisting it was pronounced SEE ANNE.. Strangers asking if it was a girls name.. Then came all the variations Shawn, Shaun, etc... I started to realize I was a "Sean" and proud of it when the variations started appearing.

I find it odd that an Aussie has become an American football fan. I just can't visualize Crocodile Dundee or that dude that got a stingray barb in the heart going into a bar in the outback and flipping the channel to ESPN to watch the Packers when the other guys are watching soccer and swimming. You must be one tough son of a gun. :laugh:

While we are talking about Australia for a moment I would like to thank you for Rupert Murdoch(sarcastic)

Question? When going to a bar to catch up on the Packers do you wear one of those cheese hats? No insult intended.. I'm just trying to visualize an Aussie Packers fan in action. All in good fun Mate.

I hope after this Sunday you see the light and explore the glory what is being a fan of the Seattle Seahawks.

I really have nothing against the Packers. I used to be a Packer fan myself. I'll let the game this weekend do the talking.

Aussie Sean

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think in-between sheering sheep, wrestling crocodiles and chasing kangaroos down the main street, we gather at the billabong and fight over what sport to watch on the box. lol

Yes the whole Sean thing, My father is Scottish.

I forgot to mention that the other reason I support the Packers is that I like to follow a quality team with quality supporters.

Anyway, I am jealous that you live in America and have to opportunity to see the game live.

In Australia the game will be on Monday at 7:00am. I will be at work, keeping up with the game on the computer and recording it at home.
I have already got the super bowl date off work…

I am hoping to go to the Pro bowl 2016 in Hawaii.

Just one last thing, you said you used to be a packers fan? Do you believe that you left the Packers or did the Packers leave you ? lol just joking, we know the Packers left you!!!

Anyway, enjoy the game mate!!
Its always good to talk with a person who has a good sense of humour

Sean

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think in-between sheering sheep, wrestling crocodiles and chasing kangaroos down the main street, we gather at the billabong and fight over what sport to watch on the box. lol

I forgot to mention that the other reason I support the Packers is that I like to follow a quality team with quality supporters.

Anyway, I am jealous that you live in America and have to opportunity to see the game live.

In Australia the game will be on Monday at 7:00am. I will be at work, keeping up with the game on the computer and recording it at home.

Just one last thing, you said you used to be a packers fan? Do you believe that you left the Packers or did the Packers leave you ? lol just joking, we know the Packers left you!!!

Sean

I'm from Irish stock. The Corey's My grandma since departed remarried a fine man which is why I use the name my also departed dad was given at birth. We Micks are basically full of poo but we have learned to laugh.

Football has been on the TV and radio in my family as long as I have been drawing breath. We up here in Seattle have had a long term aversion to Californicators and their strange ways so I have had little interest in their sports. The Green Bay Packers was started in an area that we can relate to. Farm country.. people that appreciate the earth. My kin had dairy farms when I was a wee lad. Not the latest fad or the biggest egos for me.

I was enamored with the tradition of Notre Dame and followed Joe Montana and Steve Young. But that was a fleeting fancy. I was never really a fan of the 9ers. The Packers had the tradition.

BUT since 1976 there was no way I could not be a fan and full blown supporter of my Seahawks. We have had MANY lean years and incomplete teams.

This little run we are currently on has been special to Seattle and we fully appreciate the fleeting nature of NFL supremacy.

Both teams have overcome major adversity this season. It's a shame one team's season must end tomorrow.

yooperdiehard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the UP of Michigan, spent many years down south because my father followed the construction work as a cabinate maker, I was able to understand football at age 10 and started watching in Texas where we lived. Liked the Packers because Green Bay was closest to my favorite place and true home the UP. Been a die hard fan ever since, through the bad years and now good. Saw Chester Marcol pick up blocked kick and score ,, was hooked : ) I do get mad when the team does not make the right moves to improve but try to bite my lip and not be mean.

Don Carr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first post. I'm an avid Cowboy fan, (been in thy DFW area 50 years and remember the old Lombardi Packers.) They were tough as nails and able to beat anyone. My late Dad once said that the local highschool team could put on Packer uniforms and beat the Cowboys. He was probably right. Anyhow, it was a great game between you guys and the Cowboys and the best team won. Was rooting for ya against the Seahawks. Lombardi would be proud!

Oz packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sean
Yep Sean
Super Bowl is on while I'm at work. I wAtched 1st half v Seattle and had phone updates in my meeting I had to be in. Was ready to swear at any one for the last half of the meeting.

Anyway I became a fan after seeing few games on free Telly reading a bit of the game and and the rest was history (of the game) didn't hurt that I started paying attention in 2010.

As for going to a pub (bar) to watch a game - good luck finding it on anywhere.
I'm first and foremost a rugby league fan (check out the wests tigers) so most people I know think NFL is a bit soft but that's just because they don't spend time to watch it.

Go pack

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for going to a pub (bar) to watch a game - good luck finding it on anywhere.
I'm first and foremost a rugby league fan (check out the wests tigers) so most people I know think NFL is a bit soft but that's just because they don't spend time to watch it.

Go pack

I'm working on Superbowl Sunday too. On a nighshift, but will record it.

Another great game (or trio of games to be more accurate) is your rugby league State of Origin. Brilliant entertainment.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Born in California and moved to Rhode Island at age 6. Superbowl XXI Packers Patriots. My Grandmother called me (born and lived in Wisconsin) asked me how I was doing. I have three older brothers and she proceeded to ask me how they were treating me lately. I told her they were being mean to me today and she said to get them back, cheer for the Packers tonight in the superbowl. I did, they won, and I have been a die hard cheesehead ever since. Thanks grandma for brainwashing me :)

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Became a fan of the team back in 2012. Football (the American kind) is not a very popular sport here in Italy but I managed to catch a few games here and there on tv and was immediately hooked.
Why the Packers and not another team? As you guys know better than me, the Packers are the only team owned by thousands of people and few teams have such a rich history. I also love the way they go about building the team. Draft well, keep your own players and only look to free agency when cost and value meet.

SKB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Birth. I grew up in a very Packer house in the early 70s, in southern WI. Plenty of Bears fans around, but there was only one team to root for in our house.

Had to endure the decades of mediocrity wondering if I'd ever get to see the Pack be great again like I'd heard all about from my dad and grandpa. Then along comes Ron Wolf and the rest is history.

Go Pack!

greenbay486

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teacher at school introduced me to football as a way of keeping my attention in class. When I watched the NFL on channel 4 (I live in the UK) and saw the ol' gunslinger throwing to Antonio freeman, I was sold. Been a fan and lover of all green and gold ever since

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you become a Packer fan?

I initially hated football, I grew up in NYC and for me it was always baseball. Living in NYC it was mainly Giants or Jets. And at home It was all Dallas (I admit I a Dallas hater and love seeing them lose)But even as a kid something didn't strike me right about the Jests and Giants. The teams are not from NY but from NJ, so I always felt they were fake, the only NY team was buffalo but Buffalo was never really mentioned in NYC and made to look like they were from Canada. So I just wasn't a football fan. I eventually moved to Miami, and was driving on some road call don shula expressway or something like that and everything was dolphins out there, but what bugged me was the obnoxious arrogant fans, I just did not like their fans, it felt like group of elitetest. So I still had not interest in football, still just a baseball fan.

Eventually, I went to school in Milwaukee. All of a sudden its Packers everywhere. While still not a football fan I was always being invited to barbecues or trips with groups to tailgates. And this was different than in Miami. It was like an event and every one was welcomed. Well I had my first brat, miller and some wedges at a tailgate and I was hooked. I had become a fan been Green and Gold ever since.

PackerFanInVa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been a fan since 80 but watched Packers on TV before then. The players back then just grabbed my attention and never let go. Growing up here in Virginia I had to deal with the Redskins fans lol.

pacman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One word.....Farve. The man was a legend and a s a result of that one man I watch every game and am coming over from the UK with a load of other Packers fans for the Chargers game.

Am so looking forward to this.

Members online

Latest posts