What made you a Packers fan?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the better question is "How could you not a Packer fan? " :coffee:

Then again, we don't want all those haters coming in here and clogging up our screens!

duskywing

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[edit: I was born and raised in Wisconsin. Sorry, I conveniently forgot that part.]

My dad loved to watch football on Sunday. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), he was kind of alone in that endeavor until I turned eight. The TV reception was hazy out in the country, where we were lucky to get three of the five available channels clearly. I remember passing the TV in the living room every Sunday on my way to do more interesting things than watch boring sports. And also a little intimidated at how furious and frustrated and disappointed and unhappy my dad got when he was watching "his show".

It was the 80's.

Then one Sunday I stopped and watched from the doorway, curious as to what was so upsetting on the TV. I had absolutely no fricking clue what I was looking at. I remember sitting next to the TV to get a closer look at everything, and thinking there were a lot of guys running around on the grass, and they seemed very unorganized...just kind of all swarming about randomly like a kicked nest of ants. I was confused, therefore I started asking questions. A lot of questions.

Yeah, I was that kid...

Needless to say, my dad's tolerance level for simply enduring a full game of the 80's Packers without dropping every cuss word he knew while also trying to explain IN PRECISE DETAIL (because I was that kid) what was happening on the field and why every player was doing what they were doing didn't typically last through a full quarter unless there were injuries and a lot of time-outs.

No DVR. No pausing the game, or rewinding, or slow-motioning. Seriously, there was no remote for our anvil of a TV.

Eventually I learned enough to know when I was looking at offense or defense, and how points were scored. But I'm pretty sure my dad silently cursed every ref a thousand times whenever they threw a flag simply because he had to explain why they did it to a kid that only had a vague grasp of how the game worked.

My poor father. I'm sure he probably said "Because they're idiots!" many a time...but being that kid, I wasn't going to buy it.

I don't remember the exact date, only that it was a night game I tried to stay up for but ultimately couldn't. Most likely in an effort to distract me from asking too many questions about the game, my dad proposed we make a bet. We drew two playing cards each, one was how much we had to pay the winner and the other had something to do with the score.

My dad had been very serious when explaining the bet, asking me if I was absolutely sure I wanted to make a bet because if I lost I was going to have to pay him what was on the card and I couldn't just decide it wasn't fair at the end of the game.

Naturally I interpreted the entire situation like it was as serious as a mafia contract.

It was probably right after the game ended when my dad woke me up to tell me I won the bet, I never looked at the clock. He folded some money over my winning card and tucked it under my pillow. Being a kid, I went right back to sleep, and then woke up the next morning like Santa had come to the house early.

Whether it was from a distance as I listened to news and games on the radio every once in a while, or whether I was bribing my dad to tape games on the VCR and mail them to me; I've been a Packer fan ever since I was eight.

Last edited:

PackerMike16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a huge Reggie White fan for years before the Packers picked him up. When he signed with them, I was just starting to form my own opinions of things and it was love at first sight. I've been a huge Packer fan ever since. I have since converted my wife and raised my youngest son to adore The Pack. We are planning on driving up from Texas to catch the Rams game this October. It will be our first. It goes without saying that we are super excited.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

The first football game I have a memory of was the famous ice bowl. Oddly enough, my favorite Packer for some time after that was......Chuck Mercein. Not exactly a Lambeau Legend, but he came up big in that game.

After that, even when the Packers weren't very good, I also found someone to root for: Fred Carr, John Brockington, James Lofton, etc........and when they brought in Reggie and #4, things started to get fun again. Go Pack Go.

HullChief

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short Answer: #4

I didn't have Sky tv (uk) as a kid growing up, so american football was unknown to me until towards the end of my high school days. Remember watching a few games in the early 2000's, not really understanding the rules and getting to grips with the teams. St Louis seemed to be the team that was on more often than not, then remember staying up and watching a GB game when i should have been in bed, cant remember for the life of me who the opposition was but it wasn't important cos no-one would have stopped Brett Favre. Every pass was pinpoint and landing, short or long didnt matter, the guy was unplayable. If it wasn't Favre, it was Dorsey Levens punching his way through the line. Packers seemed to be on a few times after that and i just fell for them. Got my first packers shirt, cap etc.. and i was therefore a Packer

Not long after i was sporting my new clothing, my now step dad always said he recognised the logo, but knew absolutely sod all about American football. A few months later he put the pieces together and realised what it was. Turn out his mother had a friend who lives in non other than Green Bay, Wisconsin. His mother, Audrey, who is sadly no longer with us began writing to her friend about me, and all of a sudden, i was getting a few pieces of memorabilia very kindly sent over. My youngest sister who is now only just starting high school continues to exchange letters, and i often receive a copy of Packerland Pride through the post. This year, i've finally bit the bullet and decided i'll come over the pond to see the mighty pack, and repay Marlene with a friendly knock on the door and a personal thank you. Which i can't wait for.

So thats my Packer history (Appologies for the long-windedness story). Can't wait for the next chapter in October :)

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was all those great years in the 60s. I was 9 or 10 and watching those games, mostly in black and white, and then later going to Lambeau. You only have to be there once to appreciate it. Do that and you too will always be a Packer fan, bleeding green and gold. Yes even here in Northern California. Or wherever you are.

Bigcheese0703

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was born in WI. My Grandparents still live there. Grew up watching good ole #4 do his thing with my dad. LOVE the packers. When I got married converted my wife to a cheesehead! Love the game love the team. There is none like it.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was born in WI. My Grandparents still live there. Grew up watching good ole #4 do his thing with my dad. LOVE the packers. When I got married converted my wife to a cheesehead! Love the game love the team. There is none like it.
That's very cool. I've been a fan since the 60s. There's no doubt Favre had a huge impact in creating new GB fans. And once you're in, you're in. No matter where you live or where you go, you'll always bleed green and gold.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[edit: I was born and raised in Wisconsin. Sorry, I conveniently forgot that part.]

My dad loved to watch football on Sunday. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), he was kind of alone in that endeavor until I turned eight. The TV reception was hazy out in the country, where we were lucky to get three of the five available channels clearly. I remember passing the TV in the living room every Sunday on my way to do more interesting things than watch boring sports. And also a little intimidated at how furious and frustrated and disappointed and unhappy my dad got when he was watching "his show".

It was the 80's.

Then one Sunday I stopped and watched from the doorway, curious as to what was so upsetting on the TV. I had absolutely no fricking clue what I was looking at. I remember sitting next to the TV to get a closer look at everything, and thinking there were a lot of guys running around on the grass, and they seemed very unorganized...just kind of all swarming about randomly like a kicked nest of ants. I was confused, therefore I started asking questions. A lot of questions.

Yeah, I was that kid...

Needless to say, my dad's tolerance level for simply enduring a full game of the 80's Packers without dropping every cuss word he knew while also trying to explain IN PRECISE DETAIL (because I was that kid) what was happening on the field and why every player was doing what they were doing didn't typically last through a full quarter unless there were injuries and a lot of time-outs.

No DVR. No pausing the game, or rewinding, or slow-motioning. Seriously, there was no remote for our anvil of a TV.

Eventually I learned enough to know when I was looking at offense or defense, and how points were scored. But I'm pretty sure my dad silently cursed every ref a thousand times whenever they threw a flag simply because he had to explain why they did it to a kid that only had a vague grasp of how the game worked.

My poor father. I'm sure he probably said "Because they're idiots!" many a time...but being that kid, I wasn't going to buy it.

I don't remember the exact date, only that it was a night game I tried to stay up for but ultimately couldn't. Most likely in an effort to distract me from asking too many questions about the game, my dad proposed we make a bet. We drew two playing cards each, one was how much we had to pay the winner and the other had something to do with the score.

My dad had been very serious when explaining the bet, asking me if I was absolutely sure I wanted to make a bet because if I lost I was going to have to pay him what was on the card and I couldn't just decide it wasn't fair at the end of the game.

Naturally I interpreted the entire situation like it was as serious as a mafia contract.

It was probably right after the game ended when my dad woke me up to tell me I won the bet, I never looked at the clock. He folded some money over my winning card and tucked it under my pillow. Being a kid, I went right back to sleep, and then woke up the next morning like Santa had come to the house early.

Whether it was from a distance as I listened to news and games on the radio every once in a while, or whether I was bribing my dad to tape games on the VCR and mail them to me; I've been a Packer fan ever since I was eight.

You were too young to understand football or betting but you understood mafia contracts. Just what, pray tell, did your father do for a living?:D

Mookwai

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My english is really bad, so I write in German. But I try to improve my English.

Ich bin ein großer Fussball Fan. Mein Lieblingsverein ist der 1.FC Köln. Jetzt habe ich das erste Mal Pay-TV abonniert und ein wenig Collegefootball geguckt. Dabei bin ich auf den Geschmack gekommen. Also dachten mein Sohn und ich, wir wollen die NFL genauso erleben, wie die Deutsche Fussball Bundesliga.
Da wir absolut gar keine Ahnung von den Teams der NFL haben/hatten, informierten wir uns im Internet ein wenig über die Fans, Tradition und Umfeld der Mannschaften. Schnell stachen die Packers heraus. Die Fankultur kommt der meines Heimat-Fussballvereins sehr nah. Dazu kommen die unglaubliche Historie und das Umfeld.
Also haben wir uns ein paar Spiele der Packers angesehen und waren nach wenigen Minuten schon total begeistert von der Mannschaft. Wir wurden sozusagen sofort infiziert.
Das lustige ist, das wenn man dann mit anderen Deutschen redet, fast alle die Packers kennen und auch als Lieblingsteam der NFL sehen.
Ich weiß, dass ich noch nicht das Recht habe, mich als Hardcore-Fan der Green Bay Packers betiteln zu dürfen, aber ich werde ab sofort jedes Spiel der Packers verfolgen und mit ihnen fiebern und mich mit den Packers den Superbowl 2016 feiern.
Und vielleicht habe ich irgendwann mal das grosse Glück, live bei einem Packers Spiel dabei sein zu dürfen.

Mookwai

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

My english is really bad, so I write in German. But I try to improve my English.

Ich bin ein großer Fussball Fan. Mein Lieblingsverein ist der 1.FC Köln. Jetzt habe ich das erste Mal Pay-TV abonniert und ein wenig Collegefootball geguckt. Dabei bin ich auf den Geschmack gekommen. Also dachten mein Sohn und ich, wir wollen die NFL genauso erleben, wie die Deutsche Fussball Bundesliga.
Da wir absolut gar keine Ahnung von den Teams der NFL haben/hatten, informierten wir uns im Internet ein wenig über die Fans, Tradition und Umfeld der Mannschaften. Schnell stachen die Packers heraus. Die Fankultur kommt der meines Heimat-Fussballvereins sehr nah. Dazu kommen die unglaubliche Historie und das Umfeld.
Also haben wir uns ein paar Spiele der Packers angesehen und waren nach wenigen Minuten schon total begeistert von der Mannschaft. Wir wurden sozusagen sofort infiziert.
Das lustige ist, das wenn man dann mit anderen Deutschen redet, fast alle die Packers kennen und auch als Lieblingsteam der NFL sehen.
Ich weiß, dass ich noch nicht das Recht habe, mich als Hardcore-Fan der Green Bay Packers betiteln zu dürfen, aber ich werde ab sofort jedes Spiel der Packers verfolgen und mit ihnen fiebern und mich mit den Packers den Superbowl 2016 feiern.
Und vielleicht habe ich irgendwann mal das grosse Glück, live bei einem Packers Spiel dabei sein zu dürfen.

Mookwai

Welcome

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mookwai
Hallo, Willkommen.
Schöne Einführung, prima hier einen weiteren Packers Fan aus Deutschland zu treffen.:tup:
Übrigens: Du kannst in unserem Bundesliga Thread auch einen amerikanischen Effzeh Fan treffen der gerade nach Bamberg übergesiedelt ist ;)
Wie auch immer, viel Spaß hier mit Packer Fans aus der ganzen Welt!

Hello, welcome.
Nice introduction and nice to meet another German Packers Fan. :tup:
Btw - You can meet an American EffZäh Fan in our Bundesliga Thread (All Other Sports). He recently moved to Bamberg.
However, hope you have fun here with Packers fans from around the world.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Welcome to all new fans, domestic and foreign.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score

Mookwai
Herzlich Willkommen! Fans der Packers sind überall. Sie sind offiziell von uns.

D

Deleted member 6794

Welcome to all new fans, domestic and foreign. While I was browsing through this page, a box opened asking if I'd like a translation. Sure, why not? This is how Mookwai's post Retrieved:

Now I'm being asked to contribute a better translation. Well, if I could do that, I would not have needed to have it translated, would I?: :D

Well, you could send me a personal
message, asking me to translate it for you. Then you could contribute a close to perfect translation to whatever browser this is coming from, so other people searching for exactly this phrases get a better translation in the future.

I don't think that's asking too much from you, TJV. Show some effort!!! :D

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Well, you could send me a personal
message, asking me to translate it for you. Then you could contribute a close to perfect translation to whatever browser this is coming from, so other people searching for exactly this phrases get a better translation in the future.

I don't think that's too much to ask for TJV. Show some effort!!! :D

You`re Austrian.....even Germans can`t understand Austrians...lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, that's asking too much. ;) Besides, Mookwai and his son, "looked at a couple of games of the Packers and had a few minutes already very excited about the team". That's not perfect English but I get the essence.

Trust me, it would get more difficult to understand if I would post something similar in my Austrian slang. ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Mookwai

Join us over in the Bundesliga thread.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/fußball-bundesliga.37404/page-166

Mookwai

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hallo Zusammen.
Erstmal vielen Dank für die nette Begrüßung.
Ich hoffe, es wirkt nicht zu unverschämt, dass ich hier in deutsch schreibe.
Und ich werde hart an meinem englisch arbeiten, damit ich in Zukunft in diesem Forum mit euch ohne Barriere schreiben kann.
Naja, verstehen kann ich das meiste was ihr schreibt. Da ist halt nur die Unsicherheit beim schreiben.
Ab morgen bin ich erstmal mit meiner Familie für 8 Tage im Urlaub auf Mallorca. Also kann ich das erste Pre-Session Spiel der Packers nicht sehen. Aber meine Sohn zeichnet es für mich auf.

@ Bundesbiers

Danke für den Hinweis. Ich werde da natürlich auch mal reinschauen.
Ich habe gesehen,dass ich das selbe Avatar wie du benutze.
Möchtest du,dass ich mein Avatar ändere?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hallo Zusammen.
Erstmal vielen Dank für die nette Begrüßung.
Ich hoffe, es wirkt nicht zu unverschämt, dass ich hier in deutsch schreibe.
Und ich werde hart an meinem englisch arbeiten, damit ich in Zukunft in diesem Forum mit euch ohne Barriere schreiben kann.
Naja, verstehen kann ich das meiste was ihr schreibt. Da ist halt nur die Unsicherheit beim schreiben.
Ab morgen bin ich erstmal mit meiner Familie für 8 Tage im Urlaub auf Mallorca. Also kann ich das erste Pre-Session Spiel der Packers nicht sehen. Aber meine Sohn zeichnet es für mich auf.

@ Bundesbiers

Danke für den Hinweis. Ich werde da natürlich auch mal reinschauen.
Ich habe gesehen,dass ich das selbe Avatar wie du benutze.
Möchtest du,dass ich mein Avatar ändere?
Willkommen aus Schottland Mookwai

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

Growing up in New Jersey in the 60's the Packers were just a very popular team. Thank God I resisted becoming a Jets or Giants fan. (LOL).

Members online

Latest posts