What is happening to this Forum?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

First the front page gets neutered and now includes useless stuff, then more advertising is added, then lag sets in and now........where did the rating system go? Talking about a kick in the face. But who knows, its getting hard to find things around here all of a sudden, maybe I missed the Forum conversation of getting rid of the ratings?

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think shaggy is trying to narrow down where the issue causing the slowdown is. So he is removing parts to see what is causing it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think shaggy is trying to narrow down where the issue causing the slowdown is. So he is removing parts to see what is causing it.

Thanks....plausible. But wouldn't you work backwards and remove the things you added/removed/changed right before the slow down began?

D

Deleted member 6794

The speed is up back to normal, but could you please get rid of the useless information at the bottom of each thread. There's no reason having to scroll through a list of new threads, new profile posts, members online and forum statistics to get back to the main forum.

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing where it is at but is there the feature that shows what posts you have already read so it updates you to the new posts so you don't have to go back and read old posts.

Seems to be working fine now.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a little different look, but i'm just happy the speed is back.

That's the main thing. I learned to ignore a lot of the stuff before and I will learn to ignore the new stuff or at least get used to it I hope.

I don't like that we can only like posts now. I'd give that a big dislike if that were an option. Hopefully, as Zartan said, it was only changed to help figure out the lag time (which I suspect has to do with the video adds but I may be wrong) It might have also been an attempt to lessen the tensions over the big red X

The stuff on the right side of the page makes the readable section of the posts smaller which is annoying but like I said, I'll get used to it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I totally understand Shaggy wanting to profit from owning this site, guessing that is one of the reasons why he bought it. So I hope he finds a happy median on being able to make it work for him and users.

Many of us have talked about the post ratings and how to improve/expand options, but removing all of them was never an option discussed, nor something. I have found them useful and have had a lot of fun with them, so I hope they return.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally understand Shaggy wanting to profit from owning this site, guessing that is one of the reasons why he bought it. So I hope he finds a happy median on being able to make it work for him and users.

Many of us have talked about the post ratings and how to improve/expand options, but removing all of them was never an option discussed, nor something. I have found them useful and have had a lot of fun with them, so I hope they return.

I'd agree if I could :whistling:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that explains why my likes went down from 202 to 44. I feel like I just got nerfed.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks....plausible. But wouldn't you work backwards and remove the things you added/removed/changed right before the slow down began?

I've been playing with the add ons. I think I narrowed it down to 2 but I dont think it's just one. What front page are we talking about here?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The speed is up back to normal, but could you please get rid of the useless information at the bottom of each thread. There's no reason having to scroll through a list of new threads, new profile posts, members online and forum statistics to get back to the main forum.

What are you talking about?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they return without our own personal history.... I have no interest in recreating that.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If its not broke don't fix it. This site worked well for years. All of the new changes have been for the worse. Whoever is running this site should know that.

I didnt change a thing on this site. Moved to my server and it was gone for weeks. I didn't add anything to the site that wasnt already on it. For some reason, one or 2 of the add ons started causing the site to lag. So I have been shutting off add ons to see which one is the issue and I beleiv I found it. Need to turn on the others that are causing the issues, but wanted to keep what I had off to see if you guys see imp before I turned on the other add ons

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the main thing. I learned to ignore a lot of the stuff before and I will learn to ignore the new stuff or at least get used to it I hope.

I don't like that we can only like posts now. I'd give that a big dislike if that were an option. Hopefully, as Zartan said, it was only changed to help figure out the lag time (which I suspect has to do with the video adds but I may be wrong) It might have also been an attempt to lessen the tensions over the big red X

The stuff on the right side of the page makes the readable section of the posts smaller which is annoying but like I said, I'll get used to it.

Some add ons are still off. That one will probably go back on as I dont think it's the problem add on.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

They will go back up. Like I said before. I shut almost every add on off to find the issue. The non issue add ons will be turned back on, but wanted to see if things improved by allowing you guys to tell me if the speed has totally came back to normal.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they return without our own personal history.... I have no interest in recreating that.

They will. Still saved in the database. Didnt uninstall the add on. Still there just shut off for now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed much different really. The right side might be a tad different in layout, but I never paid attention anyway :)

On mobile it’s pretty much the same. With minor things now that we’re shut off. One thing is when hitting new posts it goes all the way to the bottom of the page which shows new threads and profile posts.

But it's not really an issue to me because before it was supposed to go to the last post and would often times stay at the top anyway and I’d have to scroll down to get to the end. Now I just have to scroll up a bit. and for some reason before on Mobile, it would go to the same post every single time in the thread no matter what. Like the top post on page 3 and then I'd have to hit page 6 to get to the current stuff.

But I can feel the admin's pain. Even simple changes that aren't really changes will throw things off it seems. 2 weeks ago my friend wanted a new music source in his office. Sirius kind of sucked and they wanted to stream their own. Easy, remove the sirius source and plug in a streaming source to the amp/mixer. Literally nothing changed except unplugging a 3.5mm to RCA from the Sirius receiver and using another 3.5 to RCA from a computer to the mixer. Worked perfectly, except it was my laptop and I needed to take it with me. They just wanted to see how easy it was to do.

Well, the change back should have been simple unplug the RCA from the computer and put the sirius connection back in. nothing. plug the computer back in, nothing. check all the dip switches on the mixer/amp, nothing. check the 3.5 to RCA cables and swap. Nothing. play with gain knobs so amp detects the source, nothing. Check sirius antenna on roof, nothing and I ****ing broke it in -20 temps when touched the damn thing to top it off. an hour on the phone with the amp/mixer company. Everything is right, but nothing works.

Went home and grabbed an old iphone and charger, works like a charm. after 2.5 hours of messing around, Still no idea what went wrong. It's literally just making sure the RCA is into the right input, turn the gain up to see the source and let it play. at least they still have music.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didnt change a thing on this site. Moved to my server and it was gone for weeks. I didn't add anything to the site that wasnt already on it. For some reason, one or 2 of the add ons started causing the site to lag. So I have been shutting off add ons to see which one is the issue and I beleiv I found it. Need to turn on the others that are causing the issues, but wanted to keep what I had off to see if you guys see imp before I turned on the other add ons

All is good, just keep the free beer coming! ;)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've been playing with the add ons. I think I narrowed it down to 2 but I dont think it's just one. What front page are we talking about here?

If you click on "HOME" or "Forum".....the following columns on the right side of the page show up for me:
  1. New Threads
  2. New Profile Posts
  3. Members Online Now
  4. Who Has Visited
  5. Forum Statistics
  6. Share this Page
The old format had something called "New Posts to Threads you are watching in slot #1. Was VERY handy.

While "New Threads" is ok, it could be moved down.

#2: New Profile Posts: Totally useless.
#3: Not new and a nice feature.
#4-#6: Not really necessary.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you click on "HOME" or "Forum".....the following columns on the right side of the page show up for me:
  1. New Threads
  2. New Profile Posts
  3. Members Online Now
  4. Who Has Visited
  5. Forum Statistics
  6. Share this Page
The old format had something called "New Posts to Threads you are watching in slot #1. Was VERY handy.

While "New Threads" is ok, it could be moved down.

#2: New Profile Posts: Totally useless.
#3: Not new and a nice feature.
#4-#6: Not really necessary.
In your opinion they are useless, what about poster X, they love it..

Someone will be pissed no matter what.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about this at the bottom of each thread on the mobile version:

That wasn't there before and I have a hard time believing anyone is interested in any information in it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In your opinion they are useless, what about poster X, they love it..

Someone will be pissed no matter what.

Agreed and like I said, just giving my opinion, for whatever that is worth. I think Captain just gave his as well, which was done with nice screen shots and is basically what I was saying as well.

Members online

Latest posts