What is going on with Rodgers?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with this whole lack of leadership or lack of heart thing. Most QBs I've known have all at some point or other had spells where they really were not playing up to snuff or having uncharacteristically bad years. Rodgers, atm is having one of those.

I'd argue without Rodgers we might be as bad as a 4 or 5-win team right now.

Now look, because the QB is the guy who has to make an offense go, including standing in there and taking a pounding if the O-line is dysfunctional, is going to win the support of his fan base, and Rodgers has more than earned that throughout his career. Neither I, nor should anyone else turn on him because of 1 bad season.

That being said, that does not by any means make him blameless. I certainly think something has to be done to get him back to getting rid of that ball quickly and decisively, and I really hope he starts just throwing what's there and not just trying to take shots down the field as much as he does.

But with all our problems, I think it's going to have to be on the team as a whole to change things going forward, plus I think we lack the identity right now that made us what we were as a Packer team when MM took over. How do we get that back? Might have to roll some things back to how we ran things in previous seasons, but we also will probably have to change certain aspects of that as well.

It's no one thing or person to blame for this, I think it's just a matter of getting the identity back and if there is any in-house fighting going on, get to the bottom of it and get rid of it.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only he wanted to play better we would be A ok

Exactly.

Who does he throw under the bus...can you please give examples

Im not saying he doesnt need to play better...I even called him out after the Seattle playoff loss last year.I blame him more then the def..

Im not going to debate leadership issues AGAIN....but since you probably arent aware of practice, meetings, hanging out, offseason stuff..You really cant say with 100% certainty he isnt doing that

I will give a few examples:

His entire receiving corp when they do not catch the ball even when the ball was horribly thrown or when his offensive line does not protect more than 15 seconds (when he should be getting rid of the ball in like less than 8...).

So...if you are not going to debate leadership issues, that is fine...HOWEVER, you can just see by his actions the field that there is no leadership whatsoever. Maybe he does lead in practice, but on the field, it is a different story.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly.

His entire receiving corp when they do not catch the ball even when the ball was horribly thrown or when his offensive line does not protect more than 15 seconds (when he should be getting rid of the ball in like less than 8...).

So...if you are not going to debate leadership issues, that is fine...HOWEVER, you can just see by his actions the field that there is no leadership whatsoever. Maybe he does lead in practice, but on the field, it is a different story.

Okn we have 100 posts on leaderships and I posted a hand full of videos of Brady doing exact same thing..so please go and refer to those posts

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ELI and Brady have the top 2 offensive weapons in football.... or havent you been paying attention?

by that you mean gronk and obj??? yep they are damn good. its funny though come draft time a qb is always top 1-3 and wr is after that. why?? because the qb leads the team and is supposedly making the team better not the wr or te. you give eli or brady a good couple of #2's and a #3 and no clear cut #1 they would do the same. they make them better.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

15 seconds??? Not in NFL ...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
by that you mean gronk and obj??? yep they are damn good. its funny though come draft time a qb is always top 1-3 and wr is after that. why?? because the qb leads the team and is supposedly making the team better not the wr or te. you give eli or brady a good couple of #2's and a #3 and no clear cut #1 they would do the same. they make them better.

Its bc the QB has the biggest impact as they touch the ball almost every play. A #1 WR might only touch it 7 times

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its bc the QB has the biggest impact as they touch the ball almost every play. A #1 WR might only touch it 7 times

thats my point, say a good couple 2's each getting 7-8 targets a game will be better off than that number one. hence my point of why a qb is always drafted near the top. they are supposed to make the teams better.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, sounds good.

Yes, but that's what Aaron Rodgers wants apparently...because he holds on to the ball for SO LONG.

He always held the ball too long at times.... its not new. There was no protection the pocket was gone almost instantly.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He always held the ball too long at times.... its not new. There was no protection the pocket was gone almost instantly.

Yes, but if wanted to operate more efficiently given the circumstances, he can release the ball much quicker...he has the ability, right?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't even get to his drop point to make a read before he had hands on him this game. and yes, our coaches have a fault of liking their guys too much and actually thinking they could maybe just stand in the way, if even for a brief second, of someone running straight to the QB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats my point, say a good couple 2's each getting 7-8 targets a game will be better off than that number one. hence my point of why a qb is always drafted near the top. they are supposed to make the teams better.
I would have to see some evidence behind not having a true #1 and having a couple #2s. I feel like this season we have that, and it sucks.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again I just gave you Clear example of missing your deep treat and changes the whole game. There are very few great quarter backs which is why they get to grabbed up very quickly. Tom Brady was 5th round pick.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odell Beckham is not in the game going on right now. The Giants have 10 points.

Yeah, but at the same time, I think the Giants had kinda quit coming into this game after the Redskins won last night, which ended any playoff hope they might have had.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't even get to his drop point to make a read before he had hands on him this game. and yes, our coaches have a fault of liking their guys too much and actually thinking they could maybe just stand in the way, if even for a brief second, of someone running straight to the QB.
two backs could have helped.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I'll concede that The general amount of time in The pocket is not ideal, however, when you know this, that is when you start utilizing your check downs, short slant etc and either Scheme or audible out ... Still this doesnt Seem to be happening ... We know he Can release The Ball in less than 4-5 secs ... And there were several instances today were he had receivers short open, but he was still looking for medium to long targets instead ... Maybe that was part of the reason he an mccarthy seemed to have a disagreement ? Who knows ...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts