What is going on with Rodgers?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is a bright guy. He sees first hand this team is a house of cards(no pun intended) and realizes the end is nigh. With that offensive line he has to work behind, he will be lucky if he finishes the next two games. They are all beat up, true. But if I was Rodgers, I would personally fine each of his "elite" receivers a grand each time they drop the ball. This is a guesstimate, but I bet they've had 30+ dropped passes this season. I've never seen such a bad case of butterfingers.
Capers lousy defensive scheme and personnel are starting to show for what they really are: not good enough.

Packer doesn't even appear in the top 10 for drops... In fact Amari Cooper, DT, Mike Evans has almost as many drops as the top two Packers in drops combined. Drops are actually not as bad as people think.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

More than anything it's not getting open.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. This WR corp is still very talented. How else would we have gotten to 6-0 and now at 10-4 if our WR corps wasn't competent? It comes down to lack of preparation and AR is fed up with it. A good example? Sunday's 3 play touchdown drive that took less than a minute to complete. It was so fast that several people in the chatbox (including myself) were left scratching our heads. If the Packers O were playing like that the whole season, 10-4 very well could be anywhere from 16-0 to 13-3 at the least.

Unfortunately, this season has not gone as accordingly and now we are in a precarious position. Once Jordy comes back next season, the O is going to open up again just watch. I will agree we need to do something about TE however. Rodgers has good hands, but no speed. If we can get a TE built like Graham or Gronk, we'll be downright scary.

This WR corp cannot get open consistently. No speed. No separation. Defenses don't respect them. Nobody to take the top off a defense. None of these WR's can "Go And Get The Ball". We are essentially playing with a bunch of #2 and #3 types of WR's. Our TE situation is pretty much the same thing. No seam busters among them.

Our WR corp as it is now, lacks talent and consistency, period.

Sky King

Reaction score
This WR corp cannot get open consistently. No speed. No separation. Defenses don't respect them. Nobody to take the top off a defense. None of these WR's can "Go And Get The Ball". We are essentially playing with a bunch of #2 and #3 types of WR's. Our TE situation is pretty much the same thing. No seam busters among them.

You make a strong, plausible argument.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when you include a sub par banged up OLine into the whole equation, it only compounds the issues we are seeing even further. Usually a QB like Rodgers or Peyton in his prime can get by with sub par OLine play due to their fast releases. But they need WR's who can consistently beat the DB in front of them to get open. Our WR's/TE's are not doing this.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. He has absolutely no leadership. Why can he not take responsibility for his poor play? It is completely unacceptable. At least Favre would admit if the Packers lost that he was the mean reason why they lost.

@P-E-Z

He might not have the best talent around him, but even great players go beyond this and make others better. He clearly has not done this and I believe this is why we are not winning games.
I remember when Favre was given slugs on the O-line in 2005 by TT which resulted in a major injury to Ahman Green and very poor pass protection. He did not publicly complain but inside was seething at the loss of Wahle, Rivera, and Flanagan. Yet he took it upon himself to keep firing win or lose. He was left with only Donald Driver, Bubba Franks, and Samkon Gado. Talk about destroying an offense.

Reaction score
I have been stuck on the receivers not getting open and or dropping the ball and some bad throws by Aaron being the problem but after last night I will be jumping on the T bandwagon. Bulaga can't stay healthy and Barclay was laughed at by Freeny (yes one of the best moves in the league but still) and Bak has been good at times not great. We really need a worthy pick in the draft or a big splash in free agency for a LT then hopefully Bulaga can get healthy and Bak can be a good back up. I hate to say it but Jordy would have helped us with prettier wins and maybe 2-4 more but even with Jordy Arizona and Denver would still be ugly as ever I think. I hope they figure something out man was yesterday rough to watch.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Against man coverage, I would agree. They have to figure out a way to get guys open schematically. I know it goes against the base philosophy of the offense, but they have to use more bunch formations and pick routes and try to create confusion on the defense while eliminating the ability to jam. Give Rodgers more chances to quick hit a guy running crossing routes.

Cobbosanlucas

Cheesehead
Reaction score

642906, member: 5566"]This WR corp cannot get open consistently. No speed. No separation. Defenses don't respect them. Nobody to take the top off a defense. None of these WR's can "Go And Get The Ball". We are essentially playing with a bunch of #2 and #3 types of WR's. Our TE situation is pretty much the same thing. No seam busters among them.

Our WR corp as it is now, lacks talent and consistency, period.[/QUOTE]

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To act like this is all Rodgers is just ridiculous. Here is a list of things that this Packers are unable to do on a consistent basis:

For the record this all most in reference to playing teams with a winning record although a lot of this pops up against the bad teams as well.

1. Can't Coach - McCarthy believes it is still 2011 and the Packers receiving core consists of Jordy, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Jennings, and Finley yet he still coaches and calls plays like it is 2011, his plays are designed to beat the other team with superior talent at the QB and WR positions and this team no longer has superior talent anywhere except at the QB position.

2. Can't Stay healthy - See the loss of Jordy and the status of the O-Line

3. Can't block - the O-Line is decimated by injuries and horrible.

4. Can't run - receivers can't run and of course the RB's can't run when the O-Line can't block

5. Can't hold onto the ball - fairly self-explanatory

6. Can't get open - receivers are completely incapable of beating man coverage

7. Can't throw - Aaron has thrown the ball very poorly this year and missed many, many open receivers

8. Can't catch - When Aaron is on target the receivers are dropping a lot of balls.

9. Can't tackle - the defense at least from the eye test seems to miss a ton of tackles again this year

Well I think that about covers it, that pretty much sums up why we can't beat good teams and generally do not even look good even when we win.

Cobbosanlucas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. We have one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. They simply cannot get open with any regularity. Without Jordy, we have no credible deep threat. Our tight ends are pathetic. Cobb cannot get open because often he is being double covered. Lacy and Starks (the Dallas game notwithstanding) do not intimidate defenses the way they did last year. The banged up O-line simply makes a bad situation worse. I wish they would flush Adams and give Janis some regular playing time. With his speed, he at least might become the deep threat we need.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To act like this is all Rodgers is just ridiculous. Here is a list of things that this Packers are unable to do on a consistent basis:

For the record this all most in reference to playing teams with a winning record although a lot of this pops up against the bad teams as well.

1. Can't Coach - McCarthy believes it is still 2011 and the Packers receiving core consists of Jordy, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Jennings, and Finley yet he still coaches and calls plays like it is 2011, his plays are designed to beat the other team with superior talent at the QB and WR positions and this team no longer has superior talent anywhere except at the QB position.

2. Can't Stay healthy - See the loss of Jordy and the status of the O-Line

3. Can't block - the O-Line is decimated by injuries and horrible.

4. Can't run - receivers can't run and of course the RB's can't run when the O-Line can't block

5. Can't hold onto the ball - fairly self-explanatory

6. Can't get open - receivers are completely incapable of beating man coverage

7. Can't throw - Aaron has thrown the ball very poorly this year and missed many, many open receivers

8. Can't catch - When Aaron is on target the receivers are dropping a lot of balls.

9. Can't tackle - the defense at least from the eye test seems to miss a ton of tackles again this year

Well I think that about covers it, that pretty much sums up why we can't beat good teams and generally do not even look good even when we win.

We are 3-3 against teams with winning records.... The three losses all occurring on the road. (Carolina, Arizona, and Denver) And all against currently division leaders.

I think you may have a slight over-reaction to a very bad game played yesterday.

Just to give an example...

Number 8- the Packers are 15th in drops. That is better than the Pats, Broncos, and Carolina.

Number 4 - Packers are currently 10th in rushing in the league... Not bad, only 8 yards a game less than Arizona even though we have to come from behind and abandon it far too often.

Number 2 is luck... Nothing more

So while there are some valid points in there... Nearly half is not true in the least.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No... Maybe I sent you the wrong one. Ill have to check if its the right one it starts there and continues for about 3 pages arguement with me PB, Patriot, TJV, Mondio... Going back and forth. It is very similar.

And if Rodgers proves me wrong and becomes a great leader I will do the same thing. Admit I have changed my mind. I am not against being wrong. But just this one thing, Rodgers as a great leader... I think he has a long ways to go in my opinion. And I think it hurts the team in some ways... Especially if others can't pick up some of it.

Lol I need to sleep too man, pick it up another time.

Bringing this back up.

Cobb was on nfln after the game.. Was asked about Rodgers and him in the huddle.. Gave example that during pre game he said Rodgers got real emotional and that doesn't happen, it means a lot to him... He usually is calm cool collective guy and calms everyone... It means a lot to them him showing emotion

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing this back up.

Cobb was on nfln after the game.. Was asked about Rodgers and him in the huddle.. Gave example that during pre game he said Rodgers got real emotional and that doesn't happen, it means a lot to him... He usually is calm cool collective guy and calms everyone... It means a lot to them him showing emotion

Then let's dial up some more emotion next week. I do think, even among tough he-man, big guys, that the psychological aspect of the game looms larger than may be apparent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then let's dial up some more emotion next week. I do think, even among tough he-man, big guys, that the psychological aspect of the game looms larger than may be apparent.
You know what they say, it's 90% mental, the half is physical :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts