What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While some of that might be the media and fans like us pumping it up, I think the cat was out of the bag already. Even if it wasn't, Rodgers history speaks for itself. Given that history, if the Packers were suddenly contacting teams or acting interested in a trade, I think it would be pretty hard to hide it.

Rodgers value is being negatively affected by several things:

- His history
- His age
- His history
- His 2022 season
- His history
- Number of teams thinking he is the right fit to elevate them to a SB.
- His history
- His salary
- His history

If you want to fault Gute and Murphy, I would point to not taking this step last year.

There's a big difference between "Aaron is exploring all options but we'd welcome him back if he wants to stay" and "Aaron is disgusting and he's not welcome back." The Packers front office chose the latter. They are fools. And they likely will get Brett Favre-like compensation for him because they've burned all the bridges and have zero leverage.

If these guys played Texas hold 'em they'd be cleaned out in 15 minutes.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'd like to see the Jets pull out and agree to terms with Jimmy G. tomorrow. And see the look on Mark Murphy's face.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's a big difference between "Aaron is exploring all options but we'd welcome him back if he wants to stay" and "Aaron is disgusting and he's not welcome back." The Packers front office chose the latter. They are fools. And they likely will get Brett Favre-like compensation for him because they've burned all the bridges and have zero leverage.

If these guys played Texas hold 'em they'd be cleaned out in 15 minutes.
I have to disagree with your facts. Listen to what Mark Murphy just said a few days ago (link below). While I am in agreement with you that the Packers aren't in much of a position of power when it comes to negotiating a trade, it isn't because they have said or implied that "Aaron is disgusting and he's not welcome back." Giving Rodgers permission to seek a trade is telling, as well as some of the comments from Gute and Murphy are, but still not to the level that you are implying and not to the point where the door has completely been shut and locked.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy saying if all else fails..Rodgers could be back..tells us all we need to know. He did keep talking about Rodgers in past tense as well. Maybe those 2 dislike each other a little?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Murphy is a complete idiot, he wouldn't have commented on the Rodgers situation without a deal in place and signed with the Jets. Nobody with half a brain would be commenting during on-going negotiations. I hope his comnents mean that a trade has already been worked out. The caveat is that he also has to appease Rofgers if possible. Opening his mouth IMO didn't help.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers are in a tricky spot and Rodgers pretty much holds most of the cards. If the Packers truly want to move on from Rodgers, the most beneficial way to do that, for the Packers, is to trade him. Since it appears there is only 1 team in the conversation (that we know of), they are limited as to how much they can reasonably get for him in a trade.

If either the Jets or Aaron call it off, then retirement is the next best option for the Packers. However, Aaron doesn't have to agree to that and can say "I have a contract, I'll be at the first mandatory practice." Nobody wants that scenario to happen, probably not even Aaron.

The 3rd option, Aaron is the starting QB for the Packers. This pretty much ends the Jordan Love experiment, unless Rodgers gets hurt.

The 4th option. Aaron is benched and they play Jordan. Again, not good for both sides.

The 5th option. An unconditional release of Rodgers. I don't see that happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I'd like to see the Jets pull out and agree to terms with Jimmy G. tomorrow. And see the look on Mark Murphy's face.
Show us where any packer office person has an actual quote of that
You can't.

As far a MM talking past tense. Is it at all possible Rodgers had told the fo I'm not coming back?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While some of that might be the media and fans like us pumping it up, I think the cat was out of the bag already. Even if it wasn't, Rodgers history speaks for itself. Given that history, if the Packers were suddenly contacting teams or acting interested in a trade, I think it would be pretty hard to hide it.

Rodgers value is being negatively affected by several things:

- His history
- His age
- His history
- His 2022 season
- His history
- Number of teams thinking he is the right fit to elevate them to a SB.
- His history
- His salary
- His history

If you want to fault Gute and Murphy, I would point to not taking this step last year.
History- multiple MVPs etc...etc...etc....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
History- multiple MVPs etc...etc...etc....
Right....let's completely ignore the actual reasons that a team has apparently decided to move on from a FHOF QB.

Do you just sit around and try to figure out ways to try and twist words and meanings. Trying your hardest to be as disagreeable and as annoying as possible? Grow up. I'll say it again, you must be a real joy to be around.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will Rodgers bring in a trade? I think we find out Tuesday

D

Deleted member 6794

The 5th option. An unconditional release of Rodgers. I don't see that happening.

The Packers would take an additional cap hit of $68 million for the upcoming season by releasing Rodgers. There's no way they can afford to make that happen.

Right....let's completely ignore the actual reasons that a team has apparently decided to move on from a FHOF QB.

The actual reason the Packers want to move on from Rodgers is that they would have to pay him $60 million to play in 2023 as well as the dead money resulting from him retiring or being traded after the 2023 season would increase by $28 million compared to this offseason.

Gutekunst and Ball deserve a ton of criticism for structuring the extension signed last offseason in such a stupid way. But the Packers are not wanting to move on from their HOF quarterback for the reasons you and a ton of talking heads want us to believe.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to think the reasons you let captivate you every single day and torment you relentlessly are reality. But it doesn't get much more simple than what Captain laid out above.
If that huge hit coming next year wasn't there, we likely aren't seriously considering moving on from Rodgers.

Reaction score
IMO the more the news comes out that AR wants to stay in GB only reinforces my opinion that he would rather win a SB with the Pack than with another team.
I’m not sure if I should laugh cry or scream :eek:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where is this? I haven't heard from him? According to some unless it's from him, it's fake news
Didn't you know? It is only "fake news", if it doesn't fit the narrative that "Rodgers is just a misunderstood guy, that only wants what is best for the Packers." :rolleyes:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schefter on Get Up this morning... "My understanding is that within the Packers organization, they felt that he was worth a package similar to the one that the Rams for Matthew Stafford, which was multiple 1s...

...If you're the New York Jets, you don't want to trade multiple 1s for a 39-year-old quarterback who is on a year-to-year basis and you don't know how long you'll have his services. So, the Jets will have to figure out what they're willing to pay."

As you may recall, Stafford's deal ultimately ended up being a 2021 3rd, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, and Jared Goff in exchange for Stafford.

Would be surprised (but naturally ecstatic) if we received anything close to that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Schefter on Get Up this morning... "My understanding is that within the Packers organization, they felt that he was worth a package similar to the one that the Rams for Matthew Stafford, which was multiple 1s...

...If you're the New York Jets, you don't want to trade multiple 1s for a 39-year-old quarterback who is on a year-to-year basis and you don't know how long you'll have his services. So, the Jets will have to figure out what they're willing to pay."

As you may recall, Stafford's deal ultimately ended up being a 2021 3rd, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, and Jared Goff in exchange for Stafford.

Would be surprised (but naturally ecstatic) if we received anything close to that.
I would be shocked as well, if the Packers got that kind of compensation for a guy that might be 1 and done.

The talk of the 2 first rounders price tag is old news. That was the original price tag when the Packers thought that there would be multiple teams wanting Rodgers. No surprise that, if the reports are correct, there is only 1 team that has any interest in a FHOF QB.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB needs to move on, if they can get a 1 and 4 this year take it. If it is a 2,4 and maybe a 3/4 next year (conditional) take it. GB lost some leverage by suggesting AR was not their first choice to stay in GB; they have lost more by AR saying he wants to be in NY. Bottom line his 2022-23 was pedestrian (for a lot of reasons including his own mistakes but also young WR's, a line that was so-so and TE (so-so). This GB management might want to "stick up" the NYJ's, however, do not believe NY will buckle. Take what you can get, best deal and get on with your rebuild which is what you have decided to do once you make the decision to move on from AR. If I am NY I give them a 2, 4 this year and 3 next year. (maybe a 2 conditional with AR taking them to the playoffs)... done! NY goes to the playoffs, GB stays home and the little piggy goes to the market that is the NFL draft!

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB needs to move on, if they can get a 1 and 4 this year take it. If it is a 2,4 and maybe a 3/4 next year (conditional) take it. GB lost some leverage by suggesting AR was not their first choice to stay in GB; they have lost more by AR saying he wants to be in NY. Bottom line his 2022-23 was pedestrian (for a lot of reasons including his own mistakes but also young WR's, a line that was so-so and TE (so-so). This GB management might want to "stick up" the NYJ's, however, do not believe NY will buckle. Take what you can get, best deal and get on with your rebuild which is what you have decided to do once you make the decision to move on from AR. If I am NY I give them a 2, 4 this year and 3 next year. (maybe a 2 conditional with AR taking them to the playoffs)... done! NY goes to the playoffs, GB stays home and the little piggy goes to the market that is the NFL draft!
But didn’t Rodgers do the Jets dirty with saying how he now wants to be a Jet? Now you have all the Jets fans blowing their you know what dancing in the streets slipping and sliding thinking that the Packers will pay for this years contract for only a third rounder? Doesn’t that make the Packers look like the dumbest organization especially after Aaron threw the whole management under the bus? I say if that is the case they force him to retire. If not this makes the Packers organization the laughing stock of the NFL. Rodgers himself said that there were other teams interested.
I say a first and Elijah Moore.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone will have to blink. Jets know Packers are moving on, which they knew the moment they allowed them to talk trade in the first place and likely had a good feeling considering contract, age, already drafted replacement, etc with Rodgers.

The Packers know the Jets are all in on Rodgers. Which they likely had a good feeling about to begin with. If you're looking for an available qb that can take your team to the next level, he's about it right now. Guys like Jimmy and Carr, while valuable in their own right, are not near the same level from a QB standpoint. If they were good enough, why even consider Rodgers. They know they aren't.

So who's going to blink, the team that doesn't want the QB or the team that needs the QB? We'll find out.

Reaction score
Two 1sts is too heavy imo Too unreasonable for a Waffler 39yr old

I’d take their #13 now and in 2024 a 3rd Rounder

I’d maybe take their 2023-2nd round 3rd round and in 2024 swap their (late) 2nd rounder for our (early) 4th rounder etc.

Those are completely reasonable requests. We aren’t getting Stafford capital, but ONE Day 2 selection? The Jets 3rd Rounder alone is bordering insulting to any GM imo

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets get AR & pick 242. No salary help whatsoever. GB gets picks 43 & 74. That's it, no 2024 picks or players involved. Jets keep their 1. Gb gets more than a 3. They get more than a 2. They get a 2 & a 3. Plus who needs 4 7th rounders anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts