What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rarely do I find myself agreeing with Florio, but I think this piece is more or less is in line with my thoughts on the matter...

The short of it is that IMO you could make a case that the Jets "need" to sign Rodgers more than the Packers "need" to get rid of him.

We signed Rodgers to that contract knowing we might have to pay it in 2023 (or beyond). I'm sure at this point we would *like* to move on but it's not like we will be unable to proceed for another season with Rodgers if that's the way it shakes out.

And of course the Jets *can* keep going with Wilson or whatever but that doesn't seem very feasible at this point. IMO they are a lot closer to "win now" mode than we are right now.

It also sure seems at the moment like GB is happy to wait for people to come to them. Maybe I've missed it but it doesn't sound like we are "shopping" Rodgers around or advertising that we'll trade him, but we'll pick up the phone if someone calls. Again, maybe I've missed it, but I'm under the impression that it was New York who started the ball rolling enquiring about a Rodgers trade rather than GB reaching out to New York and asking if they'd be interested. In the same way, as Florio notes, the Jets went to Rodgers personally, they didn't ask Rodgers to come to them - seems like at the moment they themselves are not dictating a lot of the conversations. While GB and Rodgers himself have both more or less said "all options are on the table," the Jets and the New York media have basically made it out to be Rodgers or bust for them at this point.

Ironically though overall it feels like a situation where none of the three parties really have a ton of leverage, there's no clear-cut player with a trump card to be played or something IMO.

Green Bay wants to move on from Rodgers; it's expensive to keep him and practically speaking they'd likely have to trade Love if Rodgers stays. But their leverage is limited by Rodgers' age, contract, and the fact that there just aren't many suitors for him.

The Jets want to bring in Rodgers. Wilson is a flop and they need something other than a pedestrian middle-of-the-road QB. They have a solid team who they believe to be a decent QB away from being a serious contender. Their leverage is limited by the fact that they don't have a ton of options at QB available to them (as I've said before, it seems like basically Lamar or Rodgers at this point, with no indications they're seriously in on Lamar), they've drummed up their fans to expect a big splash signing, and they don't have a great fallback plan available.

And even Rodgers' leverage is a bit limited. It's now three years of the Rodgers-circus in Green Bay and in many ways it feels like the train has left the station. If the Packers organization is ready to move on but Rodgers wants to force a return to GB, I don't think that will be particularly well-received. I think he and the team have done a lot to patch up that relationship and I don't think he'd want to undo that (and damage his Packer-legacy) by forcing them to keep him around. But if he retires he gives up 60m and has to share the HoF spotlight with Brady. And he doesn't have a ton of options to turn to, either. If the Jets decide they're out, what's he do next?

Pretty fascinating dynamics all around IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rarely do I find myself agreeing with Florio, but I think this piece is more or less is in line with my thoughts on the matter...

The short of it is that IMO you could make a case that the Jets "need" to sign Rodgers more than the Packers "need" to get rid of him.

We signed Rodgers to that contract knowing we might have to pay it in 2023 (or beyond). I'm sure at this point we would *like* to move on but it's not like we will be unable to proceed for another season with Rodgers if that's the way it shakes out.

And of course the Jets *can* keep going with Wilson or whatever but that doesn't seem very feasible at this point. IMO they are a lot closer to "win now" mode than we are right now.

It also sure seems at the moment like GB is happy to wait for people to come to them. Maybe I've missed it but it doesn't sound like we are "shopping" Rodgers around or advertising that we'll trade him, but we'll pick up the phone if someone calls. Again, maybe I've missed it, but I'm under the impression that it was New York who started the ball rolling enquiring about a Rodgers trade rather than GB reaching out to New York and asking if they'd be interested. In the same way, as Florio notes, the Jets went to Rodgers personally, they didn't ask Rodgers to come to them - seems like at the moment they themselves are not dictating a lot of the conversations. While GB and Rodgers himself have both more or less said "all options are on the table," the Jets and the New York media have basically made it out to be Rodgers or bust for them at this point.

Ironically though overall it feels like a situation where none of the three parties really have a ton of leverage, there's no clear-cut player with a trump card to be played or something IMO.

Green Bay wants to move on from Rodgers; it's expensive to keep him and practically speaking they'd likely have to trade Love if Rodgers stays. But their leverage is limited by Rodgers' age, contract, and the fact that there just aren't many suitors for him.

The Jets want to bring in Rodgers. Wilson is a flop and they need something other than a pedestrian middle-of-the-road QB. They have a solid team who they believe to be a decent QB away from being a serious contender. Their leverage is limited by the fact that they don't have a ton of options at QB available to them (as I've said before, it seems like basically Lamar or Rodgers at this point, with no indications they're seriously in on Lamar), they've drummed up their fans to expect a big splash signing, and they don't have a great fallback plan available.

And even Rodgers' leverage is a bit limited. It's now three years of the Rodgers-circus in Green Bay and in many ways it feels like the train has left the station. If the Packers organization is ready to move on but Rodgers wants to force a return to GB, I don't think that will be particularly well-received. I think he and the team have done a lot to patch up that relationship and I don't think he'd want to undo that (and damage his Packer-legacy) by forcing them to keep him around. But if he retires he gives up 60m and has to share the HoF spotlight with Brady. And he doesn't have a ton of options to turn to, either. If the Jets decide they're out, what's he do next?

Pretty fascinating dynamics all around IMO.
Best line of the 2023 off-season!:

"They’ve offered to sell their souls to the Prince of Deliberate Darkness."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure how true this is, but about what many of us were thinking:

"NFL analyst and former executive Michael Lombardi appeared on The Pat McAfee Show on Thursday and he was asked what he’s heard about the requested compensation for Rodgers. He said that Rodgers could be traded for with a combination of draft picks, one of which has to be a first-rounder.

“The Packers are looking for a (1st round pick) and then something else if he plays longer. What that means is ‘we want your one, but if he plays two years, we want a three or a two – an additional pick to go with what we have."

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IN MY OPINION:

"IF" the Jets do take Rodgers off the Packers hands, they will give the Packers their first round pick this year in the draft, and a provisional 2nd round pick next year, based on his playing time, and possibly some stats. There could also be something like a 5th round pick this year, and 5th next year. That's assuming the trade comes off before the draft.

My guess is that the Jets have designed a package that will make Rodgers even richer, and be written in such a way that the Packers will have to eat the cap money this year, without it being exercised after the June deadline.

No matter what, people shouldn't be deliriously happy over it, because the Packers are not going to be healed overnight by this whole thing. It's going to take some time to reorganize the roster to be at the top of the game. It might not come for several years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No matter what, people shouldn't be deliriously happy over it, because the Packers are not going to be healed overnight by this whole thing. It's going to take some time to reorganize the roster to be at the top of the game. It might not come for several years.
It was going to happen sooner or later, whether the Packers traded Rodgers or he decided to retire. So I like getting something of value in trade and then working the cap numbers to manageable ones in the next 2 years. I am pretty sure if the Packers had traded him after the 2021 season, fans would have gone ballistic and pointed to his back to back MVP's and how he probably had 3-5 more good years in front of him. So in a way, the 8-9 season and a mediocre one for Rodgers (even taking injuries into account) may soften the blow a bit for those fans.

The deal isn't done, but just like the day Favre was traded, I knew it was time and kind of was excited to see what Rodgers could do at QB. I feel the same way now and am looking forward to some Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The best thing that could happen to the Packers right now, would be someone like the Raiders and/or Dolphins deciding they want to get in on the Rodgers Sweepstakes. The more the merrier and gives Rodgers a few options as well. I also can't help thinking that Rodgers might be torn on what a team trades for him. One side of him does not want to see his new team give too much away for him, so that they can improve. Then the other side of his mind might be thinking "Jeeesh....Russell was traded for this much and they think all I am worth is a 2nd and a 3rd?"

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh….or Jimmy G gets gobbled up and Titans announce restructure extension of Tannehill. Not another veteran out there except Lamar. Jets would be absolutely up the creek with no paddle

Reaction score
The Packers trading Rodgers will result in dead money of $40.3 million counting towards their cap. If they do it before June 2 it will count against the cap in 2023. If they wait until after that deadline they will take a $15.8 million cap hit in 2023 and another $24.5 million in '24.
I see. thanks.

So what portion of his current contract does the Tradee (presumably Jets) pay? Don’t they inherit the remainder?

Or will they just renegotiate a new contract?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of my feeling. Unless you're just desperate to get rid of Rodgers and he will only leave if Bakh goes with him...feels like creating a problem just to "solve" it.
Not to mention that Zack Tom played great and is the future at L tackle. So if the Jets want Backtiari; why not? And with the other 1st a very good tackle will be available and probably ready to start. We need 3 anyway and I'm not sold on our R tackle at this point. That is not a rebuild. That is common sense imho.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Sauce playing or could Bahk be part of the trade?

Given no contract adjustments have been made, that is a pretty big signal something is up.

That or they are tired of kicking contracts and figure Bakh is just another year then gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bahk has a big Roster Bonus: $9.5M (due 3/17/2023), so the timing is definitely right.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IN MY OPINION:

"IF" the Jets do take Rodgers off the Packers hands, they will give the Packers their first round pick this year in the draft, and a provisional 2nd round pick next year, based on his playing time, and possibly some stats. There could also be something like a 5th round pick this year, and 5th next year. That's assuming the trade comes off before the draft.

My guess is that the Jets have designed a package that will make Rodgers even richer, and be written in such a way that the Packers will have to eat the cap money this year, without it being exercised after the June deadline.

Stop. The Packers FO isn’t dumb. They saw this coming. His drama is nothing new. Several years is a little overkill. They have a very talented roster, and I truly believe ARod is holding some of the talent back by his absences with a WR room full of rookies, cap hits, over the top contracts, bad D schemes, coaching. Enough with the rebuild crap. It ain’t gonna be several years.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh….or Jimmy G gets gobbled up and Titans announce restructure extension of Tannehill. Not another veteran out there except Lamar. Jets would be absolutely up the creek with no paddle
Lamar is the only one that I see being their QB besides Rodgers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a hypothetical trade package could look like:

Packers send Rodgers / Bakhtiari / 2x 7ths this year / 2024 5th / 2025 7th

Jets send 2023 13th Pick / 2023 5th / 2024 2nd / 2025 Conditional 4th / Michael Clemons and Jeremy Ruckert

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jets send 2023 13th Pick / 2023 5th / 2024 2nd / 2025 Conditional 4th / Michael Clemons and Jeremy Ruckert
Take it and run

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I would hope they get more than that, when you throw Bahk in, but if they are willing to take on the $$ that goes with both he and Rodgers, that alone is big. Of course the Packers still have dead cap hits for both players, but would be a good way to start getting cap healthy again.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they could get out from under Bahk's contract, get a pick or two out of it, I'm fine with finding his replacement sooner, rather than later. People will over react to this and say that you don't dismantle the offense and get rid of a former Pro Bowl LT, since Jordan Love will fail if you do. I guess I don't see replacing a guy that is turning 32 in Sept. that sat out the better part of 2 years with injuries, but still was making top money, as dismantling the offense.

Bakhtiari is still an elite left tackle. With the Packers not saving a ton of cap space by trading him I would definitely prefer to retain him. Even if Jenkins would be able to perform at the same level as in 2021 the team would have to find a replacement for him at guard.

One thing that is going on, that I absolutely love, is the fact that the Jets fans and Media are super excited about getting Rodgers. That gets the Jets front office more excited and probably more willing to up the trade offer if need be.

I highly doubt the Jets front office will improve their offer based on their fans being excited about getting Rodgers.

Are the Jets making cap space available for Rodgers? Today they released Braxton Berrios, which frees up about $5M in cap space for them.

The Jets were still over the cap before the move. They would still make some other ones to create enough room to acquire Rodgers.

So what portion of his current contract does the Tradee (presumably Jets) pay? Don’t they inherit the remainder?

Or will they just renegotiate a new contract?

A team acquiring Rodgers could offer him a restructured contract. Currently he would be due a base salary of $1.165 million as well as an option bonus of $58.3 million for next season. With the cap hit for the option bonus being prorated over four seasons he would count $15.745 million towards the cap in 2023.

Not to mention that Zack Tom played great and is the future at L tackle.

Tom played at a decent level but he's a significant downgrade from Bakhtiari at this point in his career.

Reaction score
Sounds like everything is done, just needs Rodgers approval.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So basically what we’re saying is that Rodgers being in the Dark shed some light on things for himself.
And now we’re all left in the dark :tup:

It’s my opinion he’ll leave us in the Dark for 4 days from Tuesday.
We’ll have our answer Saturday

The Last laugh is on us!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So basically what we’re saying is that Rodgers being in the Dark shed some light on things for himself.
And now we’re all left in the dark :tup:

It’s my opinion he’ll leave us in the Dark for 4 days from Tuesday.
We’ll have our answer Saturday

The Last laugh is on us!
It won't shock me if he lets it leak out that he will make his decision on Tuesday, on his buddy Pat M.'s show. Pat is facing a defamation lawsuit from Brett Favre, I am sure he could use the 10 million viewers on Tuesday.

Reaction score
It won't shock me if he lets it leak out that he will make his decision on Tuesday, on his buddy Pat M.'s show. Pat is facing a defamation lawsuit from Brett Favre, I am sure he could use the 10 million viewers on Tuesday.
I see. At Pre-Trial I’d ask the Judge respectfully “Is it still considered Defamation if the Accusations can’t do any harm to an already ruined reputation?” Doesn’t it have to meaningfully and negatively damage his reputation? If I call Adolfe a Mean funny old Mustached Man.. would it tarnish his reputation?

Reaction score
I see. At Pre-Trial I’d ask the Judge respectfully “Is it still considered Defamation if the Accusations can’t do any harm to an already ruined reputation?” Doesn’t it have to meaningfully and negatively damage his reputation? If I call Adolfe a Mean funny old Mustached Man.. would it tarnish his reputation?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I heard, Favre might even sue AT &T for not including a message of "Caution: Objects appearing in this dick pic text may be much smaller than they appear to be."

Status
Not open for further replies.