What difference does it make?

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People seem to just not realize that we Packers fans wanted him back last year; and the team also wanted to hear from him before committing to Aaron Rodgers. If Brett said "Ok, I'm in" in March 2008, there would have been no problem. It's not like TT or MM suddenly shut the door upon him. That's why fans are so pissed off about him playing for a division rival, because he could have handled things in a more respectful way and everyone would be fine. By trying to jump into training camp last year, he was clearly putting himself over the team and that's unacceptable, be him the best ever or an unknown rookie.
If the Packers just refused to take him back on March 2008, then he could even be playing for the Bears and everyone should respect his decision.

In the end, I think Brett just made us cheeseheads dream for years playing football like a fan of the game; it was never like he was giving a passing game clinic, he was always having fun and making big plays and big dumb choices. More TDs than anyone, more INTs than anyone. But we all felt that emotion every time he pumped his arm, not knowing what to expect. He was by no means similar to the "surgical accuracy" of Micheal Jordan, his playing was all heart and little head. He made us dream and we forgave his big on field mistakes, because that's Favre, take or leave. From that kind of person, I was expecting a little bit more attachment to the green and gold. That's why I (and I guess many other fans) am so pissed off about it.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is lets all sit back and watch the complete breakdown of this team. Favre is like a cancer these days, lingering until he wants to do what he wants and it seems like some teams are dumb enough to give in. These teams are giving into his ego. He wont be able to fit into the dome with the size of his head. Let him go, let him "Bring them to the Holy Land" like everyone says.

They said the same about the Jets. Watch the Pick-friendly Packer D to have a fun time against a pick-friendly QB. At this point, the packers are betrayed and the defense is likely itching to drill him to the turf and make some interceptions.

Vikings have given into the controversy that is Brett Favre. Now let them deal with it.Its gonna be a bumpy ride, thats for sure.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1) It was a 14-4 season, not 14-3.
2) I love it when people celebrate ignorance as a good thing. "I don't know what the Football Scientist has to say".

3) You'd like to know the rationale for getting rid of Favre after a 14-4 season? Simple. The Packers felt that the team deserved a quarterback who could make a full-time committment to the team. Additionally, his late season fades had not gone unnoticed by the brass or his teammates, most of whom wanted to see Rodgers get his chance. And third, ultimately the team decided that they'd be a better team with Aaron Rodgers than they would with Favre.

4) I love how you give Favre all the credit for taking the Jets from 4-12 to 9-7, totally ignoring the contributions of others. And you apparently don't recall that the season before that the Jets were 10-6 and in the playoffs and that the 4-12 season was riddled with injuries. So in a very real sense, Favre helped a 10-6 team achieve a 9-7 record. You gloss over his season ending fade. You gloss over the fact that his teammates weren't entirely happy with his "I'll just chuck it up" attitude because they felt it was unfair to them.

5) Facts: He'll be 40. He's coming off injury and surgery. He led the league in interceptions (again). He missed all the OTAs and minicamp and most of training camp. He's statistically one of the worst downfield passers in the NFL. He's statistically the most turnover prone QB in the league. He's had terrible fades at the end of the last 5 seasons.

We're going to squash this bug in a serious and permanent way and I'm going to love every minute of it as both he and the Vikings suffer through a season of Hell.

Ahhhh...Time to Let the rationalizations fly..eh, America?

'Late season fades, eh'?

4-12, 8-8, 14-3...doesn't seem like he was fading at all, especially with the sh*t that Ted Thompson was giving Favre to work with in '05 and '06...You're probably one of those guys who blame Sherman for being a lousy GM, and then turn around out of the other side of your ignorant mouth and spout that "Favre should have won with those teams"...

And as far as the Jets go. They were an awful team. Favre got hit and sacked more times than ever last year, and his receiving corps was downright pitiful....Then you gloss over the fact that Favre was INJURED last year...

I like how you "twist" and "spin" your facts to suit your arguments.

You are a joke, and I'm sure you never played the game.

And Favre is not the most turnover prone player in the game. It's been shown over and over that Favre's turnover to completion ratio is right around John Elway's and Dan Marino's...so once again you are proven wrong and don't know what you are talking about...

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett the Jet: How great was he really? True, he had big days against the Cardinals and in the second Patriots game and giving Tennessee their first loss. But even before his injury look at how he fared in Week 2 vs. New England, WEek 3 at San Diego, a week 7 loss at Oakland, a near defeat the next week at home vs. KC, Denver & San FRan shutting him down in the two weeks after the Tennessee game. In the next to last week of the season he could only generate one field at Seattle. With Favre the Jets went from 4-12 to 9-7 but the guy they kicked out for him, Chad Pennington, took a 1-15 Miami team to 11-5 and won the division. And it wasn't the team he had around him. Thomas Jones was AFC rushing leader. They had receivers: Laverneus Coles, Jericho Cotchery, Chris Baker, Dustin Keller, Chasi Stuckey. He had c Nick Mangold, guard Alan Faneca and tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson protecting him. The defense was decent. Favre gave everything he could but in the end it wasnt enough anymore so why should it be any better a year later and older.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhhh...Time to Let the rationalizations fly..eh, America?

'Late season fades, eh'?

4-12, 8-8, 14-3...doesn't seem like he was fading at all, especially with the sh*t that Ted Thompson was giving Favre to work with in '05 and '06...You're probably one of those guys who blame Sherman for being a lousy GM, and then turn around out of the other side of your ignorant mouth and spout that "Favre should have won with those teams"...

You are apparently unaware of the facts.. He has faded towards the end of the season for the last several years. Check out his December passer ratings for the past 5 years.

As regards Sherman, you have no idea how I feel about him so you just make some stuff up.

You are a joke, and I'm sure you never played the game.

First off, this is the kind of personal attack the mods should be preventing, and of which you are guilty of far too often.

Secondly, I've played and coached football for the better part of 40 years. It's paid me well and I've made enough money coaching to buy several new cars.

And Favre is not the most turnover prone player in the game. It's been shown over and over that Favre's turnover to completion ratio is right around John Elway's and Dan Marino's...so once again you are proven wrong and don't know what you are talking about...

So, are Marino and Elway in the game any longer, or is reading just not your strong suit?

And another personal attack on top of it. Are the moderators around here ever going to give you some time to think about what you're doing, or are they waiting for someone to retaliate in the same vein?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D. Levens, name calling will not be tolerated here. If you can't make a post without calling someone "ignorant" or a "joke" then don't post at all. Show respect to others please. If this type of behaviour continues, you will be suspended or banned. Thank you.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Originally Posted by America
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

2) I love it when people celebrate ignorance as a good thing. "I don't know what the Football Scientist has to say".

Gee..I guess it's the second guy who gets the flag around here...

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I respond in kind, yet the initial perpetrator acts as if he's innocent of something he just did....

This is what I mean about FACTS...

They are a dangerous thing..

Some People don't seem to like it when you point out the facts...

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Originally Posted by America
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Gee..I guess it's the second guy who gets the flag around here...

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I respond in kind, yet the initial perpetrator acts as if he's innocent of something he just did....

This is what I mean about FACTS...

They are a dangerous thing..

Some People don't seem to like it when you point out the facts...
i gave you more than your moneys worth and you have yet to reply to any of it so my question to you is: what are you afraid of when facing the facts given?

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well to tell you the truth it was a smart sports decision.

look at the facts, yes he was 14-4 two years ago and brought a losing jets team a winning record. but he also cost us a shot at the super bowl and costed the jets a shot at the playoffs. therefore he failed as a leader to both teams.

hes also a soon to be 40 year old player, how many 40 year olds do you know can still play and perform at such a high level? and with that being said compare that number to the number of 30 year olds, 25 years olds and so on and so forth. you will find more successful players at the younger ages than 40. Brett Favre aside, thats a scary thought when you know your games, season, playoffs and superbowl chances reside on the shoulders of what is known as an avoidable risk.

lets put the age and the winning records together: its an absolute miracle in sports that he can pull off that kind of performance and be at such a late point in his career. that is a true testament to his talent as a QB, a football player and a sports athlete in general! but the daunting question remains: for how long?

like it or not, sports is a business, its about winning and losing one thing and one thing alone: money. Brett could no doubt carry teams to championships but how many times and for how long?

lets face it, GB could have said 2 years ago: Brett is our man and were going with him, and what if he decided to stay retired after that? uh oh...do we trust Rodgers? no! Brett is our man! but...Brett retired...****...we need a new QB...trade for one? where? who? how much? and the questions would have gone on and on and on. instead they did the correct thing any business would do. they let their veteran have his song and dance and when that vet said: thanks guys but i'm done, they did the responsible and honourable thing and said: you sure?

Brett's answer the first time around: yea i am.

and so the franchise moved on and like any other business promoted somebody and began shaping that somebody to take his place. they were done with the risk, done with the questions and decided that they had to make some money out of this.

looking at it this way, if one of your superior's at work retired, they promoted you and trained you for the job, gave you the new office with the bay view window, tapped you on the shoulder and said: son, its on you now. you would feel proud and confident wouldnt you?

now say that superior, who retired, comes back and says: i lost it all gambling, i need my job back. your telling me that you would step down and say "take it"? your telling me as the boss of a business who is in it to make money and whose only real worry is the bottom line is going to turn around and tell you "he needs it, were going to send you back down for another year in that cubicle of yours"?

if your saying yes, than please warn me of any businesses you intend to run because i want to avoid buying or investing any stocks you may be selling.

Ted Thompson was trying to get rid of Favre from day one (5 years). Anybody who doubts it is either delusional, or a liar....

Thompson could have signed some people to help the Packers win now with Brett, and not compromised his "plan", but his tremendous ego didn't want to do it that way...He wanted Brett gone...so he wasted 5 years..

He could have signed Moss and others, but he chose not to. That's why Favre was discouraged with the Packers and wanted to leave...

The TT apologists are going to try and make him look innocent in all of this and villify Favre, but it is far from the truth if you would just open your eyes to it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted Thompson was trying to get rid of Favre from day one (5 years). Anybody who doubts it is either delusional, or a liar....

Thompson could have signed some people to help the Packers win now with Brett, and not compromised his "plan", but his tremendous ego didn't want to do it that way...He wanted Brett gone...so he wasted 5 years..

He could have signed Moss and others, but he chose not to. That's why Favre was discouraged with the Packers and wanted to leave...

The TT apologists are going to try and make him look innocent in all of this and villify Favre, but it is far from the truth if you would just open your eyes to it.

this is the most rational post you ever made..

But he didnt refuse to sign Moss they had a deal in place..Then Tom Brady got a hold of Randy and talked to him,but yet where was Brett? According to Moss they never were able to talk..So dont blame Ted when he had a deal with Oak...

You claim that he wanted Brett gone (can't deny or confirm it ) but your reason is because he didnt sign people

So one would assume that with Brett gone Ted would go out and get other people..

What players did Ted get in offense that would suggest your theory?

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nice deflection but that still doesnt answer my post.
i can deflect too and say that because TT is a drafting GM that he was building a team to grow around Brett. see how that works?

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson was trying to get rid of Favre from day one (5 years). .

Ted Thompson was HIRED to move the Packers beyond Favre.

After Favre's appalling 2005 season, Thompson and McCarthy went to see Favre in Hattiesburg and they told him point blank that they wanted him to come back, but that he couldn't just play like he did the previous year.

I know that doesn't jibe with your belief that Thompson was trying to get rid of Favre from day one, but it is true. It is also true that Thompson several times extended the deadline and told Favre to think about it for a while when Favre said "If I have to make the decision now, I'd decide to retire".

If TT's agenda at that time had really been to get rid of Favre he'd have set a firm date and kept to it.

After the 2007 playoff meltdown...to go along with the meltdowns of 2004, 2003, 2002, and 2001, there was considerable sentiment in the organization, from top to bottom to move forward with Rodgers (that can all be read in the McGinn column written when Favre retired).

And when Favre retired, that enabled that move. But when he started having second thoughts around the first of April the Packers took him back. In fact, it was reported that TT broke the tie (I'm assuming M3 didn't want him back but Murphy was in favor).

Again, if your assumption is true, how does that explain Thompson's behavior?

It is true he didn't accede to Favre's personnel requests, but Favre's job is to QB the team and Thompson's job is to look after the long-term interests of the team. Those two things are not necessariliy compatible. And I still don't see how having Randy Moss prevents Favre from throwing the NFCC game away.

Here's the true story: The Packers are better off at QB today than they've been in quite a while.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson was HIRED to move the Packers beyond Favre.

After Favre's appalling 2005 season, Thompson and McCarthy went to see Favre in Hattiesburg and they told him point blank that they wanted him to come back, but that he couldn't just play like he did the previous year.

I know that doesn't jibe with your belief that Thompson was trying to get rid of Favre from day one, but it is true. It is also true that Thompson several times extended the deadline and told Favre to think about it for a while when Favre said "If I have to make the decision now, I'd decide to retire".

If TT's agenda at that time had really been to get rid of Favre he'd have set a firm date and kept to it.

After the 2007 playoff meltdown...to go along with the meltdowns of 2004, 2003, 2002, and 2001, there was considerable sentiment in the organization, from top to bottom to move forward with Rodgers (that can all be read in the McGinn column written when Favre retired).

And when Favre retired, that enabled that move. But when he started having second thoughts around the first of April the Packers took him back. In fact, it was reported that TT broke the tie (I'm assuming M3 didn't want him back but Murphy was in favor).

Again, if your assumption is true, how does that explain Thompson's behavior?

It is true he didn't accede to Favre's personnel requests, but Favre's job is to QB the team and Thompson's job is to look after the long-term interests of the team. Those two things are not necessariliy compatible. And I still don't see how having Randy Moss prevents Favre from throwing the NFCC game away.

Here's the true story: The Packers are better off at QB today than they've been in quite a while.
and Levens will come in to Deflect this comment in...3...2...1...

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Levens can say whatever he wants, but I think the facts support the following:

1) Thompson was hired to improve the Packers long term, and that almost certainly implies moving beyond a 36 year old QB who had flirted with retirement for at least two years. The Executive Board which hired him supported Thompson's efforts during the 2008 retirement/unretirement incident.
2) Favre was unable to committ to the team on a full-time basis, and hadn't been able to committ on a full-time basis for several seasons....with the exception of the 2007 season.
3) Favre had several shaky Decembers in a row and a significant string of playoff stinkers.
4) Aaron Rodgers was ready to play and was committed to the team on a full-time basis.

Demonizing Thompson for improving our QB situation speaks to an agenda that is more concerned about Favre than it is about the Packers.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is the most rational post you ever made..

But he didnt refuse to sign Moss they had a deal in place..Then Tom Brady got a hold of Randy and talked to him,but yet where was Brett? According to Moss they never were able to talk..So dont blame Ted when he had a deal with Oak...

You claim that he wanted Brett gone (can't deny or confirm it ) but your reason is because he didnt sign people

So one would assume that with Brett gone Ted would go out and get other people..

What players did Ted get in offense that would suggest your theory?

I think you are wrong here about Moss, although there are many conflicting stories about what happened. A number of NFL experts reported that Brett and Moss did in fact speak and that when Brett approached TT about getting Moss, TT was annoyed and said no. This was enough for Brett to get frustrated and think about moving on from the team. Like I said, there are conflicting stories about exactly what happened, but you can't say definitively that TT was all set to acquire Moss.

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about football, without considering Brett, do you think it would have been wise to sign Moss? He was some kind of locker room risk, even if to a minor extent than TO; plus, we were developing a few young guys who in the meantime have proved them great (Jennings, Jones, and recently Nelson). Give Moss a big albatross and then you put yourself in a position where you can hardly add talent to the team (especially on defense, which needed to be improved) because of cap room. In 3 years, I think this has proved to be a smart move. It doesn't seem like we needed more than we had at WR position in any of the last seasons.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about football, without considering Brett, do you think it would have been wise to sign Moss? He was some kind of locker room risk, even if to a minor extent than TO; plus, we were developing a few young guys who in the meantime have proved them great (Jennings, Jones, and recently Nelson). Give Moss a big albatross and then you put yourself in a position where you can hardly add talent to the team (especially on defense, which needed to be improved) because of cap room. In 3 years, I think this has proved to be a smart move. It doesn't seem like we needed more than we had at WR position in any of the last seasons.

I'd have taken him in a minute. He gets compared to TO, but if you look at his history he's never been nearly as divisive as TO. Moss going to New England is a prime example of what sets that franchise apart from us and so many others in the league. They have a great system, takes some risks bringing in guys like Moss and despite losing the Super Bowl, they did go 16-0, so they are doing something right. Not bringing in Moss is just another fail on TT's part.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have taken him in a minute. He gets compared to TO, but if you look at his history he's never been nearly as divisive as TO. Moss going to New England is a prime example of what sets that franchise apart from us and so many others in the league. They have a great system, takes some risks bringing in guys like Moss and despite losing the Super Bowl, they did go 16-0, so they are doing something right. Not bringing in Moss is just another fail on TT's part.

Moss trashed the Raiders every week. Of course, they are the Raiders and Al Davis deserves to be trashed every once in a while.

But Moss career was heading south. He needed a place to find himself and that place had to be New England. Not against MM or TT, but they have been on fire for just too many years. They had a 3 time SB winning team/coach/qb while Moss was having a hard time in Mn and Oak.

The Packers weren't what Moss was searching. A young coach, a young team and an aging (despite great) qb.

Moss wanted a chance to get to the SB and the Pats were ready for it. 2007 was no fluke por the Pack but we had no idea that the team could develop so well.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Levens can say whatever he wants, but I think the facts support the following:

1) Thompson was hired to improve the Packers long term, and that almost certainly implies moving beyond a 36 year old QB who had flirted with retirement for at least two years. The Executive Board which hired him supported Thompson's efforts during the 2008 retirement/unretirement incident.
2) Favre was unable to committ to the team on a full-time basis, and hadn't been able to committ on a full-time basis for several seasons....with the exception of the 2007 season.
3) Favre had several shaky Decembers in a row and a significant string of playoff stinkers.
4) Aaron Rodgers was ready to play and was committed to the team on a full-time basis.

Demonizing Thompson for improving our QB situation speaks to an agenda that is more concerned about Favre than it is about the Packers.
I don't know if Arod was ready to play. And can't quite agree with the #3 also. But yeah, his performances have been deminishing late in the seasons. IMO it was because he didn't prepare himself accordingly. The rest it's pretty much what it is. People demonize TT for rebuilding. They should direct their anger to the Board, that hired him to do so (correctly, IMHO. We were showing signs of decrease with the roster Wolf built.).
-
Not accepting Favre after his retirement/unretirement had nothig to do with ability IMHO. It had much more to do with team plans and commitment.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You aren't sure that Aaron Rodgers was ready to play last year? Wow. He sure looked ready to me. And M3 and TT had both been quoted as saying that Rodgers was ready and just needed to get on the field.

As regards the December swoons of Favre, take a look:

2008: December passer rating=53.3
2007: 85.5 (10 points lower than his season ave.)
2006: 62.7, his lowest month and 25 points lower than September
2005: 49.6, 20 points below his season average.
2004: 78.6, by far his lowest month of the season.

Some quick math puts his December passer rating over the last 5 years somewhere in the low 60s.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How do you explain 6-10?

Is this a team game, or what?

Or does one rule apply for Favre, and a completely different rule apply to Aaron Rodgers....???

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I explain 6-10 very simply. Our defense played A LOT worse in 2008 than it did in 2007. Some of that was injuries but the defense just let us down time and again, especially late in games.

Rodgers played very well in 2008. In fact, it was one of the best seasons of any Packer QB in the last decade. Could he have played better? Of course, but he played well enough for us to win if the defense and special teams showed up for us in 2008 like they had in 2007.

The NFL is an ultra-competitive league and then margin between 6-10 and 10-6 is razor thin. If Crosby makes a field goal against Minny, another against Chicago, and one at the end of the first half against Atlanta the Packers go 9-7 and win the division.....even with a defense that gave up 80 more points than the one the previous season.

It is a team game. Absolutely. And the QB is the most important piece of that team. And that's why the Packers made the switch......you need your most important piece to be committed to the team on a full-time basis.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you explain 6-10?

Is this a team game, or what?

Or does one rule apply for Favre, and a completely different rule apply to Aaron Rodgers....???
this is what i don't get about you.
when we try to explain that its a team game and that Rodgers can't do it himself you blow it out saying Favre could. but when we say that Favre was going through rough times then suddenly the team game matters?
Brett Favre | Green Bay Packers live it, love it and leave us alone.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I explain 6-10 very simply. Our defense played A LOT worse in 2008 than it did in 2007. Some of that was injuries but the defense just let us down time and again, especially late in games.

Rodgers played very well in 2008. In fact, it was one of the best seasons of any Packer QB in the last decade. Could he have played better? Of course, but he played well enough for us to win if the defense and special teams showed up for us in 2008 like they had in 2007.

The NFL is an ultra-competitive league and then margin between 6-10 and 10-6 is razor thin. If Crosby makes a field goal against Minny, another against Chicago, and one at the end of the first half against Atlanta the Packers go 9-7 and win the division.....even with a defense that gave up 80 more points than the one the previous season.

It is a team game. Absolutely. And the QB is the most important piece of that team. And that's why the Packers made the switch......you need your most important piece to be committed to the team on a full-time basis.

Ok..I'll spell it out for you since you're not getting it..

Was it a team game in 2005 when TT signed sh*t, there were multiple injuries, and the Packers were a joke...or was it ALL FAVRE's fault..which is what you seem to be implying. Even if you look at that season, the Packers were in every game just about even though Favre had crap to work with...same goes for 2006.

How many game ending interceptions did Rodgers throw last year...3..4? How about the fact that Rodgers held onto the ball too long and wasn't very adept at reading defenses...or was that lost on you because his name wasn't Favre?

It is well known that Sherman's teams had crappy defenses...yet Favre got the Packers to the playoffs year in and year out. How do you explain that? I know what you're going to say, and it's not true...

I love how you guy's rationalize 14-3 as an anomaly..but want to stick the crappy Sherman, TT years on Favre...

hahaha

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defenses were better during Sherman's time than a lot of us seem to remember. Not great but usually good enough. The only really bad year they had on D was 2004 and the club still won 10 games and the division. They also had some of the best rushing offenses in Packers history. But from the playoff game at Lambeau against Minnesota, in which the Packers lost as Favre threw 4 picks, the "cycle" of present day NFL team life had been reached. Players were hurt, getting older, the club had maxed out its sal-cap so it was time to rebuild. The Sherman years weren't crappy but they were filled with squandered opportunity.

Members online

Latest posts