What can we learn from KC Chiefs?

Reaction score
when a team only throws the ball 8 times in an entire game, there isn't a lot of opportunity to get pressure. we could never make it a passing game, but had we, our defense does a fine job at generating pressure.
Having an additional upgrade at interior LB and interior DL would have a marked effect on BOTH passing and running D. So much so, that if one of the top couple DL in this draft slip some, I think GB should strongly consider getting Kenny’s counter part. Raekwon Davis?
That’s coming from me, who has been whining for 5 years now that we’ve had a total draft imbalance of D over O talent.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having an additional upgrade at interior LB and interior DL would have a marked effect on BOTH passing and running D. So much so, that if one of the top couple DL in this draft slip some, I think GB should strongly consider getting Kenny’s counter part. Raekwon Davis?
That’s coming from me, who has been whining for 5 years now that we’ve had a total draft imbalance of D over O talent.
My fear is that, (and I said this before) if we focus more on the offense, the defense will take a step back.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My fear is that, (and I said this before) if we focus more on the offense, the defense will take a step back.
Probably buddy, but the offense has been taking steps back for years, we either can't really neglect that side of the ball anymore

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MLF's offense is as complicated as everyone says, then drafting WRs will be a waste, since it'll take them 1-2 years before they learn the offense.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 1 year into a new offense with guys at playmaking positions that hamstrung this offense all season long by their inability to learn it.

They'll be better in year 2 and year 3.

Sorry, I just can't agree with this. MVS, for example, was in year 2, had a chance to step into a featured offensive role, and he had an entire offseason, training camp, and regular season to do it. If he couldn't take advantage of it, there's no reason to believe it's just suddenly going to click in year 3.

This offense wasn't substantially different from MMs offenses. It's not like we went from a pro style offense to a spread offense overnight. It was the same sluggish offense that we've seen most of the time since 2015 with the exception of the 6 game "run the table" stretch in 2016.

They need better wide receivers and Aaron Rodgers has to play better. That's the bulk of it all.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MLF's offense is as complicated as everyone says, then drafting WRs will be a waste, since it'll take them 1-2 years before they learn the offense.
We're at the point where it's time we draft a receiver whether it be in the first or second round. To expect them to be immediate impact is silly. I suspect we'll also get a complimentary piece come FA.

H

HardRightEdge

Here are a couple of things I learned. Well, not really "learned". Let's just say "observed".

Mahomes is capable of throwing at least one example in a single game of each of the kinds of bad throws Rodgers was criticized over the course of this past season. Let me count some of the ways:
  • A bad underthrow of a deep ball to Hill who was so open he could just wait for it.
  • A downfield pop up floater to Watkins who was open enough to make unharrassed leap for the ball.
  • A throw into the dirt.
  • A bad miss on a RB swing pass.
  • Passing up an open Kelse sitting down in the zone for the first down in lieu of the outside throw.
  • A bad decision and throw to Hill for a pick.
  • Not "getting the ball out quickly"; the guy was chased out of the pocker all day, extending plays. (KC needs to look at upgrading their O-Line in the draft, by the way.)
  • He threw a lot of balls without much velocity.
I'm sure I missed some choice selections. Is this a criticism? No, it is not because unless you are stricken by highlight-itis, great QBs make a lot of poor throws, and that is a fact.

Actually, except for a better foot speed, Mahomes looked strikingly similar to Rodgers on this day.

On another subject, what is old becomes new again. We saw a Four Horsemen set and shift straight out of the 1920's with 2020 choreographed spin moves added for a little panache. We also saw a couple of wishbone-style run options from the 1970's, but with single-back instead of full house. Lots of gadgets and odd-ball motions in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I just can't agree with this. MVS, for example, was in year 2, had a chance to step into a featured offensive role, and he had an entire offseason, training camp, and regular season to do it. If he couldn't take advantage of it, there's no reason to believe it's just suddenly going to click in year 3.

This offense wasn't substantially different from MMs offenses. It's not like we went from a pro style offense to a spread offense overnight. It was the same sluggish offense that we've seen most of the time since 2015 with the exception of the 6 game "run the table" stretch in 2016.

They need better wide receivers and Aaron Rodgers has to play better. That's the bulk of it all.
I don't think MVS is just going to be better, we need some better players for sure at some positions. Who was running a year 1 offense in the super bowl last night? Why do people think 1 year in a system is as good as it's going to get? It all builds off each other in the playbook and players learn how to play next to each other within a system.

Plugging in 1 or 2 guys in an extablished system is much easier than plugging in an entirely new system. It's not an insignificant thing when you change offensive systems. Couple that with less than adequate skill position players and it's not going to be easy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of things I learned. Well, not really "learned". Let's just say "observed".

Mahomes is capable of throwing at least one example in a single game of each of the kinds of bad throws Rodgers was criticized over the course of this past season. Let me count some of the ways:
  • A bad underthrow of a deep ball to Hill who was so open he could just wait for it.
  • A downfield pop up floater to Watkins who was open enought to make unharrassed leap for the ball.
  • A throw into the dirt.
  • A bad miss on a RB swing pass.
  • Passing up an open Kelse sitting down in the zone for the first down in liue of the outside throw.
  • A bad decision and throw to Hill for a pick.
  • Not "getting the ball out quickly"; the guy was chased out of the pocker all day, extending plays. (KC needs to look at upgrading their O-Line in the draft, by the way.)
  • He threw a lot of balls without much velocity.
I'm sure I missed some choice selections. Is this a criticism? No, it is not because unless you are stricken by highlighlight-itis, great QBs make a lot of poor throws, and that is a fact.

Actually, except for a better foot speed, Mohomes looked strikingly similar to Rodgers on this day.

On another subject, what is old becomes new again. We saw a Four Horsemen set and shift straight out of the 1920's with a 2020 choregraphed spin moves added for a little panache. We also saw a couple of wishbone-style run options from the 1970's, but with single-back instead of full house. Lots of gadgets and odd-ball motions in this game.
The swing pass was 1st att of them game?

At the time I said it was nerves and Aikman 30 secs later said same thing.

Not sure of the rest. But yes..you get paid to make the good throws. Make them.

But my point always..always was..if open or a small swing pass the qb needs to make it..

Not the so called timing plays or where he throws b4 the guy makes his break..just normal back yard I'm.open plays

The excuse here was talent. If believe Patrick had same talent at receiving end all year? So wasn't like they were new

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're a superstar TE and numerous ultra speedsters away from matching KCs talent on offense.

But alas, fans will continue to ask why we're not fielding the greatest show on turf with guys like Lazard & MVS as the 2-3 punch ;)

H

HardRightEdge

The swing pass was 1st att of them game?

At the time I said it was nerves and Aikman 30 secs later said same thing.

Not sure of the rest. But yes..you get paid to make the good throws. Make them.

But my point always..always was..if open or a small swing pass the qb needs to make it..

Not the so called timing plays or where he throws b4 the guy makes his break..just normal back yard I'm.open plays

The excuse here was talent. If believe Patrick had same talent at receiving end all year? So wasn't like they were new
My point is great QBs miss easy throws, underthrow balls, overthrow balls, with regularity.
QBs get paid to make good throws, so they must make them? 100% of them? 90% 75%? I certainly cannot be all of them, not even all of the short throws.

I didn't want to state an obvious conclusion about supporting talent.

H

HardRightEdge

We're a superstar TE and numerous ultra speedsters away from matching KCs talent on offense.

But alas, fans will continue to ask why we're not fielding the greatest show on turf with guys like Lazard & MVS as the 2-3 punch ;)
MVS is plenty fast, so speed per se is not the issue. "Numerous ultra speedsters" is an exageration. Jones is very fast. The Packers have a fast D-backfield with Alexander, King and Savage around 4.40. The Packers have speed at ILB when they play safties there.

What is needed is couple of fast guys who are players.

Reaction score
Keep in mind, we still have FA, draft and trades to get it done. I’m not wanting them to ignore the D, but more to make a slight improvement there. But this Offense should be be in the top 10 area with an Offensive minded HC and a solid QB. There is no excuse to be middle of the league.
I think in 2020 we can reasonably achieve moving slightly from that 9th Defensively (points against) to that 6-8th area while getting this Offense to crack the top 10 in “points for”.
My magic # is 15 when adding both units scoring ranking together, along with an above average ST unit. That # isn’t imaginary, it comes from research I did one day on the average of all SB Winning Offenses (8+ranked) and SB winning Defenses (7+ ranked) since SB I. It’s obviously not an exact science, but the more under #15 combined? The better the chance of winning the SB. The higher you stray above the “mean”, the lesser the chances to Win it all. Both these teams this year just happen to be top 8, both O and D.
GB came in at a #9 + #15= #24 total. Hardly a feared team compared to #10 KC and #10 SF

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I thought we drafted Jaire when we had Breeland. My apologies.

Just pissed we lost that bad to this team.

I hated losing to those clowns but it cheered me up some to see their faces as they sulked back to their locker room after the SB last night. :cool:

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is plenty fast, so speed per se is not the issue. "Numerous ultra speedsters" is an exageration. Jones is very fast. The Packers have a fast D-backfield with Alexander, King and Savage around 4.40. The Packers have speed at ILB when they play safties there.

What is needed is couple of fast guys who are players.

I was talking strictly offense.

MVS is a tall guy who can run fast in a straight line unimpeded. He possess below avg shiftiness & stop and go ability.

Jones isn't a burner by any means but he has really good/elite wiggle. Pretty much the only guy on the roster that can make a guy miss and take one to the house -- Screen pass against the Chiefs

I'd call that not an exaggerating tbh.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One good thing for us is this incoming draft class is reportedly deep at WR so we should be able to find a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round if a good DL drops to us in the 1st.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I learned that our inside dline has little to offer when playing smash mouth. I learned a young coach can be outfoxed by an old crafty offensive mind. I learned that Mahomes looks eerily similar to Rodgers. I learned that putting 9 in the box stops the run against even the mighty running offenses. I learned that Jimmy G is a pedestrian qb when he has to throw to win.

I learned that Aaron Rodgers has got to stop whining and take what the defense gives him and stop trying to constantly press the ball.

I'm sick of hearing how no one can learn in their first year. I don't buy it - if players are pros then they should be learning this in camp and early reg season. By mid season they should have a good idea of how things go. Just my take. Football IQ. It is too cliche to say everything is so complex blah blah blah. That is a bunch of hot air. Then get players that can learn it in a timely fashion in order to be successful.

I do not think our team is very far away at all...4-6 players away. It can be accomplished in one offseason.

Reaction score
One good thing for us is this incoming draft class is reportedly deep at WR so we should be able to find a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round if a good DL drops to us in the 1st.
If there’s no other reasonable Veteran option at WR, I can see GB hitting WR twice in this draft.
As others have said, This is the perfect draft to be needing a #2-#3 type wideout. They’re thick throughout. Which gives us some latitude on going after a premier Defender if a high grade guy is in earshot of #30, even moving up a few spots. We’re not pigeonholed so to speak, which is fortunate.

My feelings wouldn’t be hurt if we doubled down at WR and Lazard, MVS, EQ and Kumerow were fighting for #4-#6, WR roster spots so to speak. Time to pick it up a notch.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Go all in when your QB is on his first contract.
KC is only paying $5M for Mahomes and there was plenty of money to pay for skill players.
It will be intersting to see who the Chiefs cut to pay Mahomes. Watkins, Hill, and Kelce will combine for $50M against the 2020 cap.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I certainly don’t want that to be true, I fail to see why it would be a waste. The sooner you get them the better under those criteria.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I certainly don’t want that to be true, I fail to see why it would be a waste. The sooner you get them the better under those criteria.

Yup and while he tried with his first draft, Moore (4th rd), MVS (5th) and ESB (6th), I think he is going to have to swing harder for the fences and use a higher pick at a position that has been neglected far too long.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of Gute's first draft, I hope it isn't any indication of what's in store. So far Alexander and JK Scott are really the only 2 players that look like they will amount to much. I guess you have to throw in Savage, since the pick used to obtain him was acquired in the 2018 draft. This isn't to say that I have given up on Burks, MVS or ESB, time will tell on those 3.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking strictly offense.

MVS is a tall guy who can run fast in a straight line unimpeded. He possess below avg shiftiness & stop and go ability.

Jones isn't a burner by any means but he has really good/elite wiggle. Pretty much the only guy on the roster that can make a guy miss and take one to the house -- Screen pass against the Chiefs

I'd call that not an exaggerating tbh.

MVS ran a 6.85 3-cone. That is very good agility for a WR his size. For comparison, Cobb ran his in 7.08s.

Staff online

Latest posts