What can we learn from KC Chiefs?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus fecking christ...I'need to go back to bed. i have my dates crossed up and pissed off we weren't in this game. Ignore this conversation.

I figured you were just hitting the bottle hard like many viewers tonight.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What can we learn from the Chiefs? That an unstoppable offense trumps anyone's defense all the time, and it must be pounded in Gute's head to make this next draft and FA signings heavily invested in the offense.

Make sure we draft Tyreek Hill quality receivers this next draft and beef up the OL and we will punch our ticket next season with Aaron Jones being at least as good as Damien Williams.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Just watching the highlights this morning and it just my personal opinion of course but the two quarterbacks reminded me of a Brett Favre v Aaron Rodgers match up. Mahomes played exciting like the old Favre....(God, that hurt to praise him...lol), totally unpredictable and rash, even when in danger, and Jimmy was cold and precise like Aaron. That is all. It was a great game. I think Jimmy will get there again one day.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Semantics. We saw hints, but didn't see the picture.

Doesn't say nothing. MM would have fared worse. Shananhan doesn't have that much experience either and fare better. I bet MLF only gets better and learns from this. He's dynamic.
While they have same kind of experience, Mike being Kyle's dad should account for extra help.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking to a buddy about this last night, and I was saying how SF was like a match. By that I mean they burn intensely but over time they dwindle out. If you can keep the score close then you have a chance to win (obviously). We sorta saw it in our game when we started to close the gap in point differentage. Only difference is SF came out to a huge lead they could fall back on, plus we couldn't do jack to stop the run game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought KC did a better job getting pressure in the middle forcing Garapollo errors. GB needs little more physicality upfront on D next to Kenny at interior DT. Not sure there’s anyone on the roster right now to solve that riddle.
Another LB or 2 and a couple of bonafide Receivers and GB can compete with SF. They are very physical, but KC plays very fast.
when a team only throws the ball 8 times in an entire game, there isn't a lot of opportunity to get pressure. we could never make it a passing game, but had we, our defense does a fine job at generating pressure.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What can we learn from the Chiefs? That an unstoppable offense trumps anyone's defense all the time, and it must be pounded in Gute's head to make this next draft and FA signings heavily invested in the offense.

Make sure we draft Tyreek Hill quality receivers this next draft and beef up the OL and we will punch our ticket next season with Aaron Jones being at least as good as Damien Williams.

The Chiefs also had a very good defense to go along with that elite offense. The idea to take away from this game is that drafting/signing great players and having two of the top-5 coaches in the NFL is a terrific way to build a team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What did I learn? Same thing we saw much of the year, the Packers need to continue to get faster on both sides of the ball. Murphy stressed "accountability" last year, well this season he and Gute better preach "Speed" and start signing free agents and draft guys that accomplish that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs linemen did a good job of getting in the way from the line of scrimmage. A number of balls were deflected. I think part of their game plan was to try and bat the ball down. Garapollo may have been telegraphing his throws.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now that we hashed out the Breeland thing, do we want to dicuss how Mike Pennel cost us a couple draft picks and Kansas City proved we never should have cut him as well? :p:D:D

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last night's game shows us that GB needs to become more versatile on both sides of the ball.

The offense needs a better passing game (intermediate & a few more successful deep shots/game) to allow Jones/Williams/?? more success when GB does call a run or pass to RB play. Whether it be better TE play or better slot WR the middle of the field needs to become better utilized by AR.

The D finally has the players to apply a solid pass rush but the run D needs help with more stout DT and ILB play. SF neutralized GB's strength by running the ball down our throats & we didn't have the talent to stop it.

Fortunately the Packers have draft capital to spend on upgrading WR, ILB, and DT while also getting another OT and C/OG if available. There's also some $$ to be spent in FA to find 1 or 2 starters and building a little depth at a few of those positions.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offence needs to be crisper, faster and have not variety in playcalling. We are not dynamic and very easily predictable.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offence needs to be crisper, faster and have not variety in playcalling. We are not dynamic and very easily predictable.
We are 1 year into a new offense with guys at playmaking positions that hamstrung this offense all season long by their inability to learn it.

They'll be better in year 2 and year 3.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 1 year into a new offense with guys at playmaking positions that hamstrung this offense all season long by their inability to learn it.

Not sure I buy into this... is GB's system SO friggen complex that guys who have been on the roster since OTA's STILL can't grasp the plays? Why can rookies come into the league on other teams and make an impact (e.g. Deebo Samuels (WR), Dre Greenlaw (LB), Mecole Hardman (WR/KR))?

Savage, Jenkins and Hollman made impacts this year in their rookie season. Does Gute need to find smart(er) players?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I buy into this... is GB's system SO friggen complex that guys who have been on the roster since OTA's STILL can't grasp the plays? Why can rookies come into the league on other teams and make an impact (e.g. Deebo Samuels (WR), Dre Greenlaw (LB), Mecole Hardman (WR/KR))?

Savage, Jenkins and Hollman made impacts this year in their rookie season. Does Gute need to find smart(er) players?
I would say YES, we need some smarter players. But Deebo didn't join a team starting a new offense. He joined an established offense. Hardman didn't join a newly installed offense either and he was a 2nd round pick used mainly as a return guy. He didn't exactly light it up as WR.

AND both benefit from very strong TE's on their respective teams.

But when your HC, your QB, your OLineman etc are saying they couldn't run stuff because people didn't know it, that's significant. I'm not a coach and there were plenty of times, even later in the year, you could tell guys were not doing what they were supposed to be doing. that WR screen will always stand out to me.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really surprised that Shanahan got away from the run dominant strategy that easily got him to the Super Bowl especially that late in the game. The Chiefs didn't really shut down the 49ers run game any more than we did, they just didn't use it as much.

Shanahan is starting to develop a pattern of getting cute with the lead. Trying to get Jimmy G the MVP.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary IMO achieved results higher than Hollman but that's a weighted opinion discussion that has no clear answer.

I'd also not hold Sternbergers injury against him...it was clear how quickly he garnered playing time the kid would have contributed as well.

I say all this while acknowledging that it includes some IFS and BUTS type logic, and we have to live in the world that occurred not what should or may have.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I learned that the Chiefs come from Kansas city Missouri and not from the state of Kansas.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The WRs right now outside of Adams/Lazard, I don't want them to learn it because they are limited. Kumerow/Allison are physically limited. Even Lazard is limited, but can be a 3/4 easy enough. MVS seems to have hit a wall mentally and ESB, who knows.

The thing about Gute is that I think he knows where the deficiencies are and will try to improve. I get the sense that he sees and acknowledges what we see wrong (speed at skill/ILB position) as opposed to TT who seemed to plod on his merry way, evidence be damned.

Going into the 2019 season, there was only so much you could do in any 1 offseason. OLB/S was a definite need and thought he could go with MVS/EQS/Moore and they would see improvement. They didn't. In hindsight, I'm sure he would go back in time and get a #2 WR. Next year, I fully expect a WR or 2 added and possibly a TE.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shanahan is starting to develop a pattern of getting cute with the lead. Trying to get Jimmy G the MVP.
I just saw the game and I'm wonder why the hell did they abandon the run? I mean seriously this feels like freaking deja vu all over again against New England. KC had no answers in stopping the run game. Hell I believe Honey Badger even commented on being relieved that SF abandoned the run game b/c they had no answers for it. I mean seriously! Why would you abandon what worked for you? This kinda reminds me of how it felt like Carrol wanted Wilson to win Superbowl MVP over Beastmode as a result, he had Wilson throw the ball when they should've given it to beastmode. I mean we just saw their third stringer run over 200 yards against us and you don't think they couldn't against this team that was 26th against the run? Stupid stupid stupid.

Members online

Latest posts