What can we learn from KC Chiefs?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Gute's first draft, I hope it isn't any indication of what's in store. So far Alexander and JK Scott are really the only 2 players that look like they will amount to much. I guess you have to throw in Savage, since the pick used to obtain him was acquired in the 2018 draft. This isn't to say that I have given up on Burks, MVS or ESB, time will tell on those 3.

It looks like last year's draft was a little better. The jury is still out on Gary but we have to be pleased with Jenkins. Sternberger started to show some promise as well. Usually finding 2 or 3 good starters in a single draft is doing a lot better than average so Gute is doing pretty well. Plus he got a couple of dynamite FAs last offseason. For me it is so far, so good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We can learn that it is very helpful to have the best QB in the league on a rookie contract.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a great TE just opens up the passing game. Long passes to wide open receivers broke the Niners back. I'm not so sure that happens without Kelce. Chiefs also benefited from bad coaching. They weren't stopping the run and Frisco only ran it about 22 times. When the game was on the line why put it in Garappolo's hands when you have such a good run game?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a great TE just opens up the passing game. Long passes to wide open receivers broke the Niners back. I'm not so sure that happens without Kelce. Chiefs also benefited from bad coaching. They weren't stopping the run and Frisco only ran it about 22 times. When the game was on the line why put it in Garappolo's hands when you have such a good run game?

49ers passed twice as much as they ran in the second half....it was asininely poor calls...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was only a brief period where san Fran was having good success with the run. They did seem to move away from it, but i'm not sure what KC was doing on D. Did they force it? Or did they just stop doing it? I think they tried moving down further to open it up more, problem being they couldn't connect on them. The OPI took points off the board heading into halftime. Missed an open Receiver for a would be TD to take the lead a the end etc.

That's the difference between a big time QB who makes big plays when they count and one who can just make plays within the team when all is well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into the second half they were averaging over 6 yds/rush I've heard uttered multiple times by radio shows and podcasts discussing it. Perhaps they all were wrong, but I'm going off them all being correct or close.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into the second half they were averaging over 6 yds/rush I've heard uttered multiple times by radio shows and podcasts discussing it. Perhaps they all were wrong, but I'm going off them all being correct or close.
They had some big runs, they also had some that didn’t go anywhere, it averages out. First half was almost all a 30-40 yard run by Debo . Makes a nice average but not a very effective run game when all is said and done.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They had some big runs, they also had some that didn’t go anywhere, it averages out. First half was almost all a 30-40 yard run by Debo . Makes a nice average but not a very effective run game when all is said and done.

The Chiefs were also selling out to stop it and basically telling Garoppolo to try and beat them. He just didn't get the job done. It was there for him.

I don't think he's a very impressive QB. Shanahan makes things pretty easy/defined for him and he still seems to miss and/or panic.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it is an easy hindsight observation and criticism of any coach when they lose a game calling plays that they themselves had full confidence in, but don't end up working out. Do we know that the 9'ers would have won that game had Shanahan stuck to the ground game? Maybe he and his coaches saw something that they really liked and went for the jugular to put the game away? Maybe they saw a change made in the Chiefs defense that was going to make running the ball more difficult? Basically, there was some thought process that went into the plays called by Shanahan and I am sure he had very little doubt that opening up the passing game was the right thing to do at the time.

How many times did fans question McCarthy when he would get conservative and wind up losing a game? Sometimes you look like a genius and sometimes you don't. Had the 49'ers completed a few more passes and put the Chiefs away, people would be praising Shanahan for being creative and willing to take some risks to win the big game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think it is an easy hindsight observation and criticism of any coach when they lose a game calling plays that they themselves had full confidence in, but don't end up working out. Do we know that the 9'ers would have won that game had Shanahan stuck to the ground game? Maybe he and his coaches saw something that they really liked and went for the jugular to put the game away? Maybe they saw a change made in the Chiefs defense that was going to make running the ball more difficult? Basically, there was some thought process that went into the plays called by Shanahan and I am sure he had very little doubt that opening up the passing game was the right thing to do at the time.

How many times did fans question McCarthy when he would get conservative and wind up losing a game? Sometimes you look like a genius and sometimes you don't. Had the 49'ers completed a few more passes and put the Chiefs away, people would be praising Shanahan for being creative and willing to take some risks to win the big game.

Coaching always gets more blame than execution.

Shanahan called plays that easily could have won that game.

His expensive QB didn't execute and they lost.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs were also selling out to stop it and basically telling Garoppolo to try and beat them. He just didn't get the job done. It was there for him.

I don't think he's a very impressive QB. Shanahan makes things pretty easy/defined for him and he still seems to miss and/or panic.
He's not a big time QB. Missed a wide open receiver to take the lead there at the end and missed him badly. The plays were there and KC made their weakest link beat them and he couldn't.

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no wide receivers that invoke fear into a good team. Even adams this year only forced 2 miss tackles on 83 catches. we need a total wide receiver corp with the exception of adams who should be a number two

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no wide receivers that invoke fear into a good team. Even adams this year only forced 2 miss tackles on 83 catches. we need a total wide receiver corp with the exception of adams who should be a number two

Sorry but to say we have none is wrong. Adams is literally one of the best in the game right now. Teams have doubled him and he still gets open. DUDE is just simply a stud and elite.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the one of the ONLY thing I pin on Shanahan is how he handled the clock at the end of the first half. To not use any of their timeouts as they were holding the Chiefs in check to give his offense more time. It seemed like he was playing to NOT give Mahomes the ball back instead of just having time on the clock for his team to score. AND they got the ball to start the 2nd half.

Granted who knows what happens, but the difference that 23-10 or even possibly 27-10 makes going into the 4th is huge. Maybe it doesn't change anything because Mahomes turned into the Mahomes we expected him to be with 7 minutes left. But his defense was in control and the offense was having success. Call your timeouts.

Other than that, they had tremendous success in play action. Jimmy G only had like 5 incompletions for a while. The play down the sideline to Kittle was perfectly drawn up, and the play to Sanders with 90 seconds left he was wide open. There was another play where Kittle was wide open in the middle of the field and Jimmy G didn't even throw it to him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

He's not a big time QB. Missed a wide open receiver to take the lead there at the end and missed him badly. The plays were there and KC made their weakest link beat them and he couldn't.

He beat us.......twice :(

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the one of the ONLY thing I pin on Shanahan is how he handled the clock at the end of the first half. To not use any of their timeouts as they were holding the Chiefs in check to give his offense more time. It seemed like he was playing to NOT give Mahomes the ball back instead of just having time on the clock for his team to score. AND they got the ball to start the 2nd half.

Granted who knows what happens, but the difference that 23-10 or even possibly 27-10 makes going into the 4th is huge. Maybe it doesn't change anything because Mahomes turned into the Mahomes we expected him to be with 7 minutes left. But his defense was in control and the offense was having success. Call your timeouts.

Other than that, they had tremendous success in play action. Jimmy G only had like 5 incompletions for a while. The play down the sideline to Kittle was perfectly drawn up, and the play to Sanders with 90 seconds left he was wide open. There was another play where Kittle was wide open in the middle of the field and Jimmy G didn't even throw it to him.
Exactly, the plays where there to be made. the execution on the big game changing plays wasn't. that was the difference.

I

Are you talking about Jimmy G? We only played against him once as I recall.

Oh ffs !...............why you little !

I just think is silly to say he`s nothing special is my point. Our own QB overthrew and under threw often.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the one of the ONLY thing I pin on Shanahan is how he handled the clock at the end of the first half. To not use any of their timeouts as they were holding the Chiefs in check to give his offense more time.

I always go back and forth on that during Packer games as halftime approaches. I have seen the Packers use TO's while on defense, thinking they will get the ball back and it backfires when the other team picks up the first down and takes the ball down the field to score before half. We have also seen the opposite, Packers get the ball and march down and score. Guess its up to the coach if he thinks his defense will stop the other team and his offense is rolling.

One thing I do think is inexcusable, for an offense to have the ball with under 10 seconds on the clock, the ball past their own 30 and they kneel down. Throw a hail mary, hope for pass interference or some other defensive penalty that might allow you to score before half.

I

The team beat us, not Jimmy G. In fact had they replaced Jimmy G with Tim Boyle, I reckon they'd have fared equally well.

If they need to improve, they need to upgrade Jimmy G.

See earlier comment above ^^^^^^^^

I

Sorry guys but ANY team that makes it to the big game, their QB deserves at the very least respect. There were times in that game were Mahomes looked ordinary. Sure he rallied but if people can say he was 100% brilliant were clearly watching a different game from me.