What can we learn from KC Chiefs?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me so far, he is a single player on a very good team.

Garoppolo is 12th in passing yards. Only 4 QBs have more TDs than him this season.

He is Top 4 in QB led game winning drives and tied 2nd in 4 quarter comebacks too.

No matter how you cut the stats, he's done well this season.

One point to consider is that the usual high profile QBs (Brady, AR, Brees, Ryan etc) plus Mahomes have all been off form or injured this season.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Garoppolo is 12th in passing yards. Only 4 QBs have more TDs than him this season.

He is Top 4 in QB led game winning drives and tied 2nd in 4 quarter comebacks too.

One point to consider is that the usual high profile QBs (Brady, AR, Brees, Ryan etc) plus Mahomes have all been off form or injured this season.

Let me just get a beer and some chips ! AND Paracetamol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not implying he's garbage and i'm quite certain he'll be just fine with a good team around him. Like Cousins, give him a play action game with a good RB quality TE and top notch WR's, he looks really good. Take one away? Looks much worse.

and in that list, Brady can take a team and go, Rodgers has taken a team and gone, and Mahomes. I wouldn't even put Brees or Ryan in there. Brees maybe, though he's always done well with a good oline, great WR's and RB. he's definitely better than Ryan, but quite a bit I think, but I don't quite think he's Brady, Rodgers or Mahomes in terms of what he can do as a QB when other parts are missing.

As for Jimmy's stats, those are nice. But take away his defense and make the offense play from behind for the majority of the season, I want to see what is stats are like then when he MUST keep up and outpace the other team. As soon as I saw defensive pressure coming at him, he looked much worse. and when their was pressure on the offense to score, he didn't impress me.

I want to see what his stats are without the number 1 D and the #2 running attack in the league backing him. That would be more telling. almost any NFL QB can look good in those situations.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and in that list, Brady can take a team and go, Rodgers has taken a team and gone, and Mahomes. I wouldn't even put Brees or Ryan in there. Brees maybe, though he's always done well with a good oline, great WR's and RB. he's definitely better than Ryan, but quite a bit I think, but I don't quite think he's Brady, Rodgers or Mahomes in terms of what he can do as a QB when other parts are missing.

As for Jimmy's stats, those are nice. But take away his defense and make the offense play from behind for the majority of the season, I want to see what is stats are like then when he MUST keep up and outpace the other team. As soon as I saw defensive pressure coming at him, he looked much worse. and when their was pressure on the offense to score, he didn't impress me.

I want to see what his stats are without the number 1 D and the #2 running attack in the league backing him. That would be more telling. almost any NFL QB can look good in those situations.

This feels like a different version of Brady or Belichick discussion...Jimmy or the Team? It's not his fault he plays for a good team. He was doing quite OK for the Pats too when Brady wasn't playing...but again that was a good team too.

Perhaps it's Shanahan's game plan to not rely on him and use other options available. Perhaps if he was freed, he could have thrown more. SB game itself can be a sample, but it's just too small to draw a conclusion. Negative opinions of him are just conjecture at the moment.

I'm not sold on him either, but then we just have to wait and see if he's a boom or bust.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This feels like a different version of Brady or Belichick discussion...Jimmy or the Team? It's not his fault he plays for a good team. He was doing quite OK for the Pats too when Brady wasn't playing...but again that was a good team too.

Perhaps it's Shanahan's game plan to not rely on him and use other options available. Perhaps if he was freed, he could have thrown more. SB game itself can be a sample, but it's just too small to draw a conclusion. Negative opinions of him are just conjecture at the moment.

I'm not sold on him either, but then we just have to wait and see if he's a boom or bust.
for sure he has plenty of time to make a case one way or the other, but until someone proves to me they can do it all, i'm skeptical. Mainly because there are so few that have or can that i keep the odds on my side :)

But to date, I have not seen any evidence that he can put a team on his shoulders and go and I've seen some that shows, when the pressure is on his shoulders to take the team somewhere, he wilted a little.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk had a 6.82s 3 cone. Quicker than Cobb for sure!

Made up drills mean squat

Made up drills? Probably time to google importance of 3-cone drill at the combine.

AJ tested more explosive than Cobb. Doesn't mean he's faster on the field (going forward Cobb would beat him on their best days) but more explosive change of direction is a possibility. Hawk had impressive numbers for his size and position at the combine that's for sure. Also, Cobb was on our roster when we were regarded to have the slowest WR's in the league so he's by no means the gold standard for quickness - that was simply a comparison as the previous poster questioned MVS' agility.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't either. He isn't an elite QB but you can win with a guy like him if you surround him with a lot of talent.

Garropolo doesn't strike me as a quarterback capable of carrying a team on his back though.

I think it is unfair based on the fact with him at QB the team beat us AND got to the Superbowl.

The Niners only threw the ball eight times in the NFCCG against the Packers. Garropolo had close to nothing to do with them winning that game.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners only threw the ball eight times in the NFCCG against the Packers. Garropolo had close to nothing to do with them winning that game.
That's a pretty ridiculous stance, IMHO. Garoppolo was 6-8, for 77 yards. That would be 12.8 yds/completion and 3 first down throws (not including 2 pass interferences & 1 roughing the passer).

He actually threw 11 passes but there were defensive penalties on 3 of them. He threw the ball on 20% of the offensive snaps & got 6 1st downs out of those plays, because that's all that was required of him. How many other QB's average a 1st down on 55% of their pass attempts?

Last edited:

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a pretty ridiculous stance, IMHO. Garoppolo was 6-8, for 77 yards. That would be 12.8 yds/completion and 3 first down throws (not including 2 pass interferences & 1 roughing the passer).

He actually threw 11 passes but there were defensive penalties on 3 of them. He threw the ball on 20% of the offensive snaps & got 6 1st downs out of those plays, because that's all that was required of him. How many other QB's average a 1st down on 55% of their passes?

This is where stats can be manipulated. I don't mean to change the subject too much but many of us are familiar with Badgers football and how they can pretty much run on anyone. If the starting QB is halfway decent, this style can lead to some very impressive stats with their QBs efficiency wise.

He's not a terrible QB but most of those stats belong to the system IMO. Teams are playing for the run which leads to very easy throws .

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He actually threw 11 passes but there were defensive penalties on 3 of them. He threw the ball on 20% of the offensive snaps & got 6 1st downs out of those plays, because that's all that was required of him. How many other QB's average a 1st down on 55% of their pass attempts?
That's what I call fun with numbers.

Let's see him average 55% 1st down rate on passes when he's not getting 7 yards a carry on 42 attempts from the running game. It is incredibly easy to play QB in that situation. You know it, I know it, everybody that watches football knows it.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he Niners only threw the ball eight times in the NFCCG against the Packers. Garropolo had close to nothing to do with them winning that game.
Let's see him average 55% 1st down rate on passes when he's not getting 7 yards a carry on 42 attempts from the running game. It is incredibly easy to play QB in that situation. You know it, I know it, everybody that watches football knows it.

That not a realistic expectation...esp with a rookie and an ageing WR duo. Easier to throw when you have Adams, Thomas, Watkins and like out there. Jimmy ranks about 10th in both attempts per game.

He's a better passer than Cousins and Lamar Jackson (Lamar is overall a better WB though).

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That not a realistic expectation...esp with a rookie and an ageing WR duo. Easier to throw when you have Adams, Thomas, Watkins and like out there. Jimmy ranks about 10th in both attempts per game.

He's a better passer than Cousins and Lamar Jackson (Lamar is overall a better WB though).

Jimmy J, G i know doesn't belong in the same paragraph as Lamar Jackson. Teams are afraid of Lamar Jackson. Lamar Jackson creates his own nightmare for teams. Load the box because of his running ability and he hangs 4 TD passes on you. Who creates this..................Lamar Jackson

Jimmy G creates nothing. Put Jimmy G on a team where he had to throw and he's fighting tooth and nails with Winston to see who leads the league in interceptions. I'm just going to shake my head.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

with a running game and protection, i'd Cousins over JG. Take away either of those from those guys though and they aren't going to look very good.

Reaction score
Well. If we’re gonna be all inclusive, don’t forget Garoppolo’s award winning Rushing contributions which backed his production up to 76 all-purpose yards
4 rushes -1 yards.

... or his 2019 playoff per game averages (3 games)

12/19 142 yards; 0.67 of a TD; 1 INT; 3 rushes for 1 foot per attempt
Not exactly striking fear into the hearts of football fans here and abroad.

I’m so sorry I’m just having fun... couldn’t resist! :laugh:

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watch every 49’ers game, have for years. The year they got Jimmy G they were 1-10 until he started, they finished 5-0. Since the beginning of that year they are 19-5 with him starting and 4-20 without. Same defense and running game. Only change is him.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watch every 49’ers game, have for years. The year they got Jimmy G they were 1-10 until he started, they finished 5-0. Since the beginning of that year they are 19-5 with him starting and 4-20 without. Same defense and running game. Only change is him.
Another thought came to mind. Last year we played SF and we beat them without Jimmy G (Barely but still) and we were at home. And considering how they beat us so soundly at their place this year I'm just trying to ponder if having HFA would've truly made a huge difference in the outcome. I'm saying that because Garoppolo was hardly a factor in that game.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Made up drills? Probably time to google importance of 3-cone drill at the combine.

AJ tested more explosive than Cobb. Doesn't mean he's faster on the field (going forward Cobb would beat him on their best days) but more explosive change of direction is a possibility. Hawk had impressive numbers for his size and position at the combine that's for sure. Also, Cobb was on our roster when we were regarded to have the slowest WR's in the league so he's by no means the gold standard for quickness - that was simply a comparison as the previous poster questioned MVS' agility.

Jeff Janis had amazing 3 cone and 40 times - Better than OBJ. Drill times mean nada

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Janis had amazing 3 cone and 40 times - Better than OBJ. Drill times mean nada

Jeff Janis was one of the best athletes in that draft class. That's what gave him a chance in the nfl. The rest is smarts, route running ability, and toughness. I don't know where it went wrong with Janis, but OBJ was a way better route runner and an elite prospect.
If drill times meant nothing, Janis never would have gotten a foot in the door.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sorry but it's completely ridiculous to argue Garropolo was a factor in the NFCCG based on random numbers on a very small sample size.

The Niners ran the ball 42 times while only throwing eight passes. That's all you need to know.

There's no doubt that Garropolo is an upgrade over Brian Hoyer, C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens but that doesn't mean he's an elite quarterback.

I

At no time in this whole thread have I noticed ANYBODY saying Garropolo is an ELITE quarterback, but without stirring this pot too much again, I think the criticism has been too much, and unfair. (Nod to the two gents I`ve spoken to). He has played in one Superbowl, and has been back up to two great ones. Again, JMHO

D

Deleted member 6794

At no time in this whole thread have I noticed ANYBODY saying Garropolo is an ELITE quarterback, but without stirring this pot too much again, I think the criticism has been too much, and unfair. (Nod to the two gents I`ve spoken to). He has played in one Superbowl, and has been back up to two great ones. Again, JMHO

The Niners reached the Super Bowl mainly because of their elite defense and their run game. I don't see any reason to bring up the two Super Bowls the Patriots went to with Garropolo as their backup.

I

The Niners reached the Super Bowl mainly because of their elite defense and their run game. I don't see any reason to bring up the two Super Bowls the Patriots went to with Garropolo as their backup.

Some people just HAVE to have that final word don't they ?. At the risk of being reported here, you can quote all the damn statistics you want, the simple fact is NOBODY said he was an elite QB, NOBODY ffs !!

Members online

Latest posts