What are the chances Cobb comes back next year?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is a business deal. Nothing's 100% and we have to go into negotiations with the attitude of respecting Randall
Contracts are won and loss with words as much as $$&. Although the $$$ does tend to make the intent more clearly understandable. Lol ;);)
From what we know Cobb has good relations with players and staff. He also does a lot off the field in respect to positive and generous public affairs which reflect well on PR standing both Muir himself and the entire packer community.
I personally appreciated him coming over to Bostick and supporting him when Brandon looked completely dismayed and nearly in tears. Cobb is more than just a great WR. He's got a good heart and confidence. He is family now and needs to assured that he has a solid future in decisions made both short and long term.
it needs to be iterated that he is a vital part of the well-oiled machine we have engineered. But to remember that parts cost money and need to fit budgets
I thibk if he understands what is at stake. And I think he does. He'll be back with a reasonable salary offer.
The Jennings and Jones saga is a learning lesson that is unmistakable to ignore

See this is what I'm thinking. The guy is too much of a fit for GB. He's always a positive influence and a great guy in the locker room. He makes plays and he's not a cancer.

PackerXLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets ask Greg Jennings, lets ask James Jones. Id be willing to bet that there are many millions of reasons for leaving.

First off, I doubt anyone's going to prioritize him higher than we will, and if they do, I doubt it'll be enough to coax him into believing he's going to have better odds of winning a championship where they're sitting. Anyone in need of a guy like Cobb isn't an elite franchise to begin with.

He's young, he's talented, and he has chemistry in GB with the best QB in the NFL. He's stayin' put man.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have the cap space but Seattle is pretty elite and they could certainly use him, ditto New England, ditto SF, Indy, probably a handful of other GOOD franchises. Point is Green Bay is going to have to pay market value or darn close to it to keep him. I won't be suprised to see him get more than Jordy here or from somebody else.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think they have the cap space but Seattle is pretty elite and they could certainly use him, ditto New England, ditto SF, Indy, probably a handful of other GOOD franchises. Point is Green Bay is going to have to pay market value or darn close to it to keep him. I won't be suprised to see him get more than Jordy here or from somebody else.

The Seahawks and the Colts would have the cap space to sign Cobb, the Niners and Patriots don´t have any chance to pull off a move like that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this is what I'm thinking. The guy is too much of a fit for GB. He's always a positive influence and a great guy in the locker room. He makes plays and he's not a cancer.

How many "Greg Jennings is a cancer" or "not a good teammate" articles were there prior to him leaving?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seattle could do it but I think they'd focus more on an outside receiver rather than a slot guy.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many "Greg Jennings is a cancer" or "not a good teammate" articles were there prior to him leaving?
His sister helped him obtain at least part of that label during his final season. Remember when she threw a fit that Rodgers wasn't peppering him with throws so he could inflate his stats and cash in even more?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember how Jennings turned down TT's initial offer and then had to take less with the Vikings. That is the best part of that story.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I expect both Cobb and Bulaga back: Both are very young and IMO losing either would be a big blow to the offense. Cobb is dynamic in the slot and keeping him, Nelson and Adams together makes all kinds of sense. Since Cobb turns 25-years old in August of this year, perhaps a long-term contract with enough guaranteed money up-front makes sense for him?

After years of watching the struggles along the Packers OL, I don't know how any serious Packers fan can fail to see the need to keep this group together. Bulaga will turn 25 in March. Sitton is 28, Lang is 27, Bakhtiari is 23, and Linsley is 23. Sign Bulaga and the only need going forward on the OL is capable backups.

As we all know, Thompson's MO is draft and develop. It's also keeping the core players who have been developed in Green Bay. Of course he can't sign either at "any" price but keeping young, talented core players who fit is at the heart of Thompson's method of building a team.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect both Cobb and Bulaga back: Both are very young and IMO losing either would be a big blow to the offense. Cobb is dynamic in the slot and keeping him, Nelson and Adams together makes all kinds of sense. Since Cobb turns 25-years old in August of this year, perhaps a long-term contract with enough guaranteed money up-front makes sense for him?

After years of watching the struggles along the Packers OL, I don't know how any serious Packers fan can fail to see the need to keep this group together. Bulaga will turn 25 in March. Sitton is 28, Lang is 27, Bakhtiari is 23, and Linsley is 23. Sign Bulaga and the only need going forward on the OL is capable backups.

As we all know, Thompson's MO is draft and develop. It's also keeping the core players who have been developed in Green Bay. Of course he can't sign either at "any" price but keeping young, talented core players who fit is at the heart of Thompson's method of building a team.
I guess if either, or both, Cobb and Bulaga are gone, then "draft and develop" are just empty words.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His sister helped him obtain at least part of that label during his final season. Remember when she threw a fit that Rodgers wasn't peppering him with throws so he could inflate his stats and cash in even more?

Ya I don't think he was a cancer before the stuff with his sister, but a lot of that sealed his fate.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I don't think he was a cancer before the stuff with his sister, but a lot of that sealed his fate.
He didn't denounce it either which seemed like a huge FU to Rodgers and the team. I don't know how you can say that crap during the middle of a season and let that fester.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, remember all the talking Jennings did about the Packers franchise and Aaron Rodgers - If he had any fans of his after he left, he lost them after he started spewing negative things towards the Packers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do think Cobb will be back, partially because there are other decent receivers that should be on the market for other teams. However, it wouldn't surprise me (and I'm actually sort of expecting it) to Bulaga go because it's a TERRIBLE free agent tackle market. Packers will want to pay Bulaga as a RT but I could see some other team deciding they want to try him at LT and pay him more than the Packers are willing to.

H

HardRightEdge

He was beat badly by Baldwin on the 35 yard reception in overtime. He only played 39% of the defensive snaps this season, so it seems the coaches don't trust him completely.
Williams big mistakes against Dallas were widely overlooked because the Packers won. Those two pass interference calls and the blown tackle that resulted in a TD cost a lot of points in that game.

To his credit, his coverage on the Kearse game winner was outstanding. It just happened to be a throw and catch for the ages, at least in the great Northwest.

D

Deleted member 6794

To his credit, his coverage on the Kearse game winner was outstanding. It just happened to be a throw and catch for the ages, at least in the great Northwest.

Williams shouldn't have allowed Kearse to release to the inside with no safety help over the top.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams big mistakes against Dallas were widely overlooked because the Packers won. Those two pass interference calls and the blown tackle that resulted in a TD cost a lot of points in that game.

I think he was referencing Hayward on the 35 yarder to Kearse before the TD.

They said Williams should have taken away the inside to make the outside throw more difficult, but it wasn't as if going outside was a tight window. There was no sideline or other defender to fit it between, he could have just laid it out there too, though it probably wouldn't have been tougher, not sure it made a difference. Regardless of inside or outside, Williams had pretty tight coverage, just couldn't make a play on the ball. Great throw and Catch that's for sure.

H

HardRightEdge

Williams shouldn't have allowed Kearse to release to the inside with no safety help over the top.
Well, if you go to NFL.com they have the closeup replay. Besides being step-for-step, Williams' timing on the ball was perfect...he actually got a hand on the ball and Kearse's arm. The guy just made a great catch on a great throw.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I was talking about Hayward's mistake on the 35 yard reception by Baldwin just before the TD.

They said Williams should have taken away the inside to make the outside throw more difficult, but it wasn't as if going outside was a tight window. There was no sideline or other defender to fit it between, he could have just laid it out there too, though it probably wouldn't have been tougher, not sure it made a difference. Regardless of inside or outside, Williams had pretty tight coverage, just couldn't make a play on the ball. Great throw and Catch that's for sure.

The throw would have been way tougher to the outside. Without any safety help over the top it is essential for a cornerback to not allow the receiver a free release to the inside.

H

HardRightEdge

It was Heyward on Baldwin, not Kearse, but point taken.

I don't understand this inside vs. outside stuff...Williams played that perfectly thown ball as good as it could be played and people want to second guess that? Of all the issues over these past few years that could be laid on Williams, this is near the very bottom of the list.

People ought to nit pick the wins the way they nit pick the losses...then they might see where the real problems lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, if you go to NFL.com they have the closeup replay. Besides being step-for-step, Williams' timing on the ball was perfect...he actually got a hand on the ball and Kearse's arm. The guy just made a great catch on a great throw.

Yeah, it was a great throw and catch. Nevertheless it was Williams' mistake to grant Kearse a free release to the inside.