What are the chances Cobb comes back next year?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
The franchise tag should be used as a last resort to keep Cobb though as it would result in a massive cap hit for the 2015 season.

But signing Cobb is the #1 Priority the other players are pretty expendable IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

But signing Cobb is the #1 Priority the other players are pretty expendable IMO.

Re-signing Bulaga should be important as well. If the Packers let both Williams and House walk cornerback immediately becomes a position of need.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers have the right to put the franchise tag on him, so if the team is completely determined to bring him back he won't have a chance to test free agency this off season.
Yeah, but using last year's $12.3 million WR franchise tag as a guide, that's an awfully big pill to swallow in one gulp given the entire amount hits the cap in 2014.

Even the 2014 transition tag of $10.2 million is still a big pill even if it's more manageable, but that's like playing Russian roulette. Cobb would still be able to test the market and the Packers would have to match the best competing offer in order to keep him. I don't think Thompson would consider paying at the top of the freely tested market even in his weakest moment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eleases-2014-franchise-transition-tag-numbers

H

HardRightEdge

Re-signing Bulaga should be important as well. If the Packers let both Williams and House walk cornerback immediately becomes a position of need.
How is it memories are so short?

Since he's joined the team, every time Bulaga has been out of the lineup his various replacements have been, shall we say, dreadful. And it's not like Bulaga is just some "adequate" guy...that conclusion is only drawn by people who don't get around much.

Of course we did sign Sherrod to a futures contract back in December for one last shot in camp. Is that supposed to be an answer? Tretter? That's likely a big drop off.

$6 - 7 mil per year is the figure to be looking at for an accomplished 25 year old RT. That would put Bulaga in the top 9 RTs in the league, which seems about right.

http://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, what about those cover corners? It's become increasingly evident this season that Hayward is a zone nickel guy. Hyde is better in man coverage, but neither of those guys is fast enough to man the perimeter. They're nickel corners, plain and simple.

I think they'll roll the dice with House unless Williams is willing to take well below market value, which I doubt will happen. I don't see how they'll be able to keep both.

The faithful should be looking at cover corner prospects for the top 2 rounds regardless. And that would be an imperative if neither is signed, barring a FA signing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The toughest decision might end up being between Williams and House. Bulaga at age 25 is a top 5-10 RT in the league. Couple that with there being no really viable options on the roster and I consider his resigning to be right up there with Cobb in importance.
I don't so much look through the list of upcoming free agents so much anymore because these days most- if not all- of the better ones are usually resigned before UFA starts, but if available, I'll throw out a couple of names.
At OT, Micheal Roos- long in the tooth, but a solid vet who would be a good stop gap for a season.
At CB, Byron Maxwell.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb leaves for the money then he is leaving for #1 money..which means he is going to be expected to be the #1 wr. He probably won't have a top qb either in that situation. When that next contract comes around he is probably not going to be a top 3 free agent WR again in that situation. All of this factors into the best situation for him being in Green Bay where he has the MVP throwing to him and #1 Jordy taking the double teams and the top corners away from him.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is in a totally different (higher demand) situation than jennings jones or Nelson. Green Bay will have to imo come close to matching the market to keep him. Franchise tag will cause the Packers to pay WAY above market value albeit for only one year, and I think using a franchise tag on a player you genuinely want to keep is rarely a good move

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go get paid Cobb! You deserve it..there are so many ways he can be used on offense that would make it difficult to defend .. but dang on if the offense doesn't get it's scripted amount if plays run smh.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers let both House and TWilliams walk I'll be quite stunned.

I will too. The market is never really THAT great for older CB's either. I seriously doubt Williams commands a lot of money on the market.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know how much they can realistically save when they ask Clay to restructure his large contract that he really isn't playing up to.

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is a business deal. Nothing's 100% and we have to go into negotiations with the attitude of respecting Randall
Contracts are won and loss with words as much as $$&. Although the $$$ does tend to make the intent more clearly understandable. Lol ;);)
From what we know Cobb has good relations with players and staff. He also does a lot off the field in respect to positive and generous public affairs which reflect well on PR standing both Muir himself and the entire packer community.
I personally appreciated him coming over to Bostick and supporting him when Brandon looked completely dismayed and nearly in tears. Cobb is more than just a great WR. He's got a good heart and confidence. He is family now and needs to assured that he has a solid future in decisions made both short and long term.
it needs to be iterated that he is a vital part of the well-oiled machine we have engineered. But to remember that parts cost money and need to fit budgets
I thibk if he understands what is at stake. And I think he does. He'll be back with a reasonable salary offer.
The Jennings and Jones saga is a learning lesson that is unmistakable to ignore

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I want to know how much they can realistically save when they ask Clay to restructure his large contract that he really isn't playing up to.

Matthews will count $12.7 million towards the cap in 2015 with $4.1 million coming from the signing bonus he received in 2013. There's nothing the Packers can do about that prorated part of the deal. It's possible to restructure the rest of the deal but I wouldn't expect Matthews agreeing to it.

H

HardRightEdge

There are lot of guys in Matthews' situation who would find any excuse not to move to ILB. The defense was looking worse by the week before that move. There's more to life than sack numbers. You have to ask yourself what the defense would look like in his absence. I think he earned his pay.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are lot of guys in Matthews' situation who would find any excuse not to move to ILB. The defense was looking worse by the week before that move. There's more to life than sack numbers. You have to ask yourself what the defense would look like in his absence. I think he earned his pay.

I would still like to get an answer as to why Matthews wasn't on the field for the Seahawks last two drives in regulation.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had to have tweaked something...otherwise the entire staff needs to be fired. Matthews has chronically bad hamstring issues so u wouldn't be shocked at all if that was the case.
On another note it wouldn't shock me to see House and Williams both gone . The staff had enough faith to put Hayward on the outside a lot against Seattle so obviously he's capable of doing so. The draft can address the corner situation. The packers play so much zone there's no reason Hayward can't get the job done.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering about just how good Hayward really is, and how much he can be counted on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Put it this way he doesn't whiff on open field tackles as much as Williams. Our corners are horrible tacklers .

He was beat badly by Baldwin on the 35 yard reception in overtime. He only played 39% of the defensive snaps this season, so it seems the coaches don't trust him completely.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put the chances of a Cobb return at 100%. Whether it is a long-term extension or the franchise tag, #18 will be in green and gold next year. He's way toooooo valuable to let go.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even expect this to be a question. Why would anyone in his position leave the Packers organization? Top tier QB, great tandem with Jordy, and a young, talented roster surrounding him with a bright future ahead. If he's in it purely for the money, someone might outdo us and snag him, but otherwise, I expect him to stay put.

Lets ask Greg Jennings, lets ask James Jones. Id be willing to bet that there are many millions of reasons for leaving.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just had a drop in the Pro Bowl. There is no way the last time he wears a Packers helmet is in the Pro Bowl....no way.