What are the chances Cobb comes back next year?

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, it was a great throw and catch. Nevertheless it was Williams' mistake to grant Kearse a free release to the inside.
I'm giving a very rare "disagree" to somebody I don't often disagree with.

I don't see how the process could be criticized when the performance was 99% optimal and the opponent executed perfectly. This line of argument is tantamount to asking for a do-over because the opponent performance couldn't possibly be any better the second time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see how the process could be criticized when the performance was 99% optimal and the opponent executed perfectly. This line of argument is tantamount to asking for a do-over because the opponent performance couldn't possibly be any better the second time around.

Maybe you have a chance to take a look at the all-22 cam for the play.

Because Williams allowed Kearse to release inside he had no chance to make a play on a perfectly thrown ball despite being in close coverage. If he would have redirected the receiver to the outside he could have at least forced an incompletion.

LeRoy Butler does a good job explaining it during his video with Tom Silverstein. Someone already posted the link to it in this thread.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe you have a chance to take a look at the all-22 cam for the play.

Because Williams allowed Kearse to release inside he had no chance to make a play on a perfectly thrown ball despite being in close coverage. If he would have redirected the receiver to the outside he could have at least forced an incompletion.

LeRoy Butler does a good job explaining it during his video with Tom Silverstein. Someone already posted the link to it in this thread.
The only problem with this analysis is that it's false. ;) Like I said before, he did make an excellent play on a perfectly thrown ball...he got a hand on it, twice actually, with the back of right hand and the front of his left while also grabbing Kearse's arm as he completed the catch. A couple millimeters one way or the other, or Kearse not making an outstanding play in holding on, and the result is different.

I saw the tape, over and over. There's nothing Butler can say to change my mind.

H

HardRightEdge

Go to the following link, scroll down on the right to the Kearse 35 yd. TD selection, then cue it up to the 1:37 mark for a close-up of how Williams defended the pass. Criticizing this play is no more than a "what if", not a "what's wrong".

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2014/POST20

D

Deleted member 6794

The only problem with this analysis is that it's false. ;) Like I said before, he did make an excellent play on a perfectly thrown ball...he got a hand on it, twice actually, with the back of right hand and the front of his left while also grabbing Kearse's arm as he completed the catch. A couple millimeters one way or the other, or Kearse not making an outstanding play in holding on, and the result is different.

I saw the tape, over and over. There's nothing Butler can say to change my mind.

I guess it's OK if we agree to disagree on this topic. As long as it doesn't happen too often. ;)

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Resigning Cobb is a must. I think he has a better clutch play level than Jordy. Seems like Jordy missed those crucial catches and Cobb was always there to make those plays.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Cobb...want him back and expect he will be....however I do hope TT stays pat on a figure he can justify without overspending and thinning other options around. If Cobb leaves I do feel we will be "okay" if not see the birth of another solid receiver in Janis/Abredius(sp) or re-birth of a relevant Boykin or even a new draftee come April.

Bulaga to me is more important than Cobb is to the team. He's still got youth on his side and when in their we are simply a much much better O-Line than without him and replaced by basically "anyone" in the league. I'm more fearful of a what losing Bulaga would do for this team more than losing Cobb to FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

I love Cobb...want him back and expect he will be....however I do hope TT stays pat on a figure he can justify without overspending and thinning other options around. If Cobb leaves I do feel we will be "okay" if not see the birth of another solid receiver in Janis/Abredius(sp) or re-birth of a relevant Boykin or even a new draftee come April.

Bulaga to me is more important than Cobb is to the team. He's still got youth on his side and when in their we are simply a much much better O-Line than without him and replaced by basically "anyone" in the league. I'm more fearful of a what losing Bulaga would do for this team more than losing Cobb to FA.

If the Packers let Cobb walk in free agency WR becomes a position of need. I would be surprised if Boykin would be re-signed, Abbrederis has troubles staying healthy and Janis is a work in progress.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers let Cobb walk in free agency WR becomes a position of need. I would be surprised if Boykin would be re-signed, Abbrederis has troubles staying healthy and Janis is a work in progress.

I would expect if Cobb leaves Boykin stays and we still draft someone in first 4 rounds. I however do feel with Rodgers in his 2nd year he'll help the passing attack more than this year....meaning truly the Nelson and Adams punch will be main and then Boykin/Janis/Ab or company need to simply produce pedestrian combined numbers of say 600 yards and 4 tds.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I doubt anyone's going to prioritize him higher than we will, and if they do, I doubt it'll be enough to coax him into believing he's going to have better odds of winning a championship where they're sitting. Anyone in need of a guy like Cobb isn't an elite franchise to begin with.

He's young, he's talented, and he has chemistry in GB with the best QB in the NFL. He's stayin' put man.

I agree, you simply asked what reason he could he have for leaving and I gave you millions of them. Its all up to Cobb to determine what he thinks is the right decision but in the end I don't think we will find out what he could have gotten on the open market because I think we lock him up before he gets there. That means I think the money is not of primary importance to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would expect if Cobb leaves Boykin stays and we still draft someone in first 4 rounds. I however do feel with Rodgers in his 2nd year he'll help the passing attack more than this year....meaning truly the Nelson and Adams punch will be main and then Boykin/Janis/Ab or company need to simply produce pedestrian combined numbers of say 600 yards and 4 tds.

Cobb was the best slot receiver in the league in the 2014 season. The Packers are lacking another receiver best suited to play in the slot on the roster.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Cobb leaves I'm gonna guess that the Packers will spend their 1st round pick on Sammi Coates and pick up an ILB in the 2nd round.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb Leaves WR absolutely becomes a position of need. We have seen our pass catching group dwindle a little more each year the past 2 or 3 and losing Cobb would probably be the biggest loss of them all. Not just because he is better than the guys we lost in the past (Driver, Jennings, Jonesm Finley) but because who remains . It would leave us with 1 proven pass catcher (Note I include the TE position and even tour RBs in the pass catcher group) Lacy has helped bolster the RB contribution and is a very good pass catcher but is he the guy we want to have the numbers of a #2 or even #3 pass catcher. We have no legit proven TE threat.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Cobb leaves I'm gonna guess that the Packers will spend their 1st round pick on Sammi Coates and pick up an ILB in the 2nd round.

Sammi Coates would be an ods choice to replace Cobb as he won't be able to play in the slot. In this case I would rather have the Packers draft Phillip Dorsett in the second round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb was the best slot receiver in the league in the 2014 season. The Packers are lacking another receiver best suited to play in the slot on the roster.

I agree to a point with EVERYTHING you and others have said. I merely feel there is a point where paying Cobb what he may demand doesn't allow us to retain/acquire in many ways BIGGER needs like RT. I expect Cobb will stay....but I do honestly have more faith I guess in our WR's than most, but we are merely one step up receiver without him next year from being our normal solid 3 WRs.....rare a year like the Cobb/Nelson/Jones/Driver/Jennings ever happens and we can't expect that for many many years if ever.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the interviews he's done, I get a weird feeling that he wants to test the free market. When asked if he wants to stay in GB he answers with I've said before I would like to, but it's still a business. He knows this will probably be the biggest contract of his career coming off this season and no one guarantees he will get another. Might be hard to replicate what he's done so far and did this year. With the type of money he might get, he will probably go to a team without a great QB

H

HardRightEdge

Sammi Coates would be an ods choice to replace Cobb as he won't be able to play in the slot. In this case I would rather have the Packers draft Phillip Dorsett in the second round.
I don't know about Dorsett, but based on his Senior Bowl performance I don't see Coates as worth a second round pick. He's big, he's fast, but he looks like a straight line player to me.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he actually left I think you have to consider that East Carolina cat to replace him. That guy is packer material and is an excellent wr.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about Dorsett, but based on his Senior Bowl performance I don't see Coates as worth a second round pick. He's big, he's fast, but he looks like a straight line player to me.

Dorsett has blazing speed (he´s actually aiming for a sub 4.3 40 yard dash at the combine) and impressed during every practice at the Senior Bowl. He could be the solution to our kick return woes as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsett has blazing speed (he´s actually aiming for a sub 4.3 40 yard dash at the combine) and impressed during every practice at the Senior Bowl. He could be the solution to our kick return woes as well.

Honestly I love Hyde back there....or even maybe Ab or Janis when healthy....Slocum is the main reason I think our returns suck...not the guy returning.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly I love Hyde back there....or even maybe Ab or Janis when healthy....Slocum is the main reason I think our returns suck...not the guy returning.

I really like Hyde returning punts, he´s not a good kickoff returner though.