We're good, we're not elite

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night's game showed me that we're not an elite team yet. We're 10-2 and very fortunate to be that good. Bigby, Bush, and Collins showed why we're not elite. Collins and Bush can't cover and Bigby is a penalty waiting to happen on every play. He and Harris, as good as they can be, play out of control and when their head gets in the way they lose. The offensive line isn't where they need to be, to be an elite team.

We clearly know how important Brett Favre is to this team. We're not an elite team because if Brett doesn't play his best game, we're in trouble. The "old" Brett showed up last night. The Brett that didn't make good choices, that forces the ball.

The lack of an impact linebacker also hurt us last night.

I guess the bottom line is that in big games like this your best players play their best. Ours didn't. And still it was a game. There is hope. This is a team that is growing and needs to be fine tuned. It's not an awful team, but we're not as good as our record either. WE learned we have a good back up quarterback. Grant can play. Our receivers are good, but what wil make them great is catching the ball all the time.

I'm not going to jump off the bridge on this game. I am however aware that we're not an elite team, at least last night.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude? I think I am very calm and very realistic. Last night proved we're not a great team, we're a good team. That's where it is. I was just explaining why I thought we weren't among the elite. Now get to school, you don't want to miss the bus.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night's game showed me that we're not an elite team yet. We're 10-2 and very fortunate to be that good. Bigby, Bush, and Collins showed why we're not elite. Collins and Bush can't cover and Bigby is a penalty waiting to happen on every play. He and Harris, as good as they can be, play out of control and when their head gets in the way they lose. The offensive line isn't where they need to be, to be an elite team.

We clearly know how important Brett Favre is to this team. We're not an elite team because if Brett doesn't play his best game, we're in trouble. The "old" Brett showed up last night. The Brett that didn't make good choices, that forces the ball.

I guess the bottom line is that in big games like this your best players play their best. Ours didn't. And still it was a game. There is hope. This is a team that is growing and needs to be fine tuned. It's not an awful team, but we're not as good as our record either. WE learned we have a good back up quarterback. Grant can play. Our receivers are good, but what wil make them great is catching the ball all the time.

I'm not going to jump off the bridge on this game. I am however aware that we're not an elite team, at least last night.

Yeah that was well thought out post and right on the money. I love the Pack but knew coming in they were probably not the team that thier record may lead you to believe. I don't think the Cowboys are either but they are certainly further along then the Pack.

Brett does have to play flawless for this team to win. Unfortunately, no QB ever is going to play flawless week in and week out. We lost this game because the Defense just crumbled. Maybe it was injuries, but man they looked worse last night than I have seen in a long time.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not elite when we have injuries at key levels on both sides of the ball.

How were we exploited last night? In the pass defense, stopping the pass rush, creating a pass rush. Let's examine.

Pass defense: With only one legitimate defensive back (Harris) to worry about, the Cowboys moved Owens in motion most of the night so that he'd switch off of Al. If we have Woodson, that doesn't happen. Also, the "lesser" receivers had their way with our DBs. Also, the downfield pass interferences were crucial (one a highly contested call). Those are correctable mistakes. Never mind the play Harris made that was taken away in the first quarter.

Stopping pass rush: Tauscher was hobbling around all game. Junius Coston, a backup, gave up pressure inside all day. IF we're healthy (and I understand you don't have the luxury to guarantee that) we're much better.

Creating a pass rush: KGB's absence and smaller rotation at DT hurt us bad. We had little pressure on Romo all night. Remember the 3rd and 19 that Dallas converted in the 3rd quarter when Green Bay only trailed 3 points? Romo rolled out to his left. I can only imagine KGB's presence on the play would have made that more difficult.

As you can see, the areas we were hurt were the ones most exploited. It's all correctable. I can barely believe we still made it a game. That's a testament to the young players and coaches. They hung in there. They trailed 17 points to arguably the second best team in football and they made it a game!

I'm proud of this team and I'm confident they'll learn from their mistakes and be READY THE NEXT TIME THEY PLAY DALLAS!

GO PACK GO!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude........DUDE...........DUUUUUUUUDE!!! :lol: (I just like saying that!!!)

We had MANY major losses due to injury, the Cowboys were at 100% strenght. Yet we stayed with them. Take away that bogus PI call, and we MIGHT have pulled a "W" out of our hat.
We lost, but it's NOT like we were blown out. Our D sucked, could hardly stop them, but we did hang close.
I'm upset at the loss, but realisticly, we need one more win and the division title is ours. Plus, who knows? We might not PLAY Dallas again. Even if they get home field, they could get knocked off. I've seen it happen before.
Anyway.........It's not like our season is over because of the loss. We are 10-2, and still have a shot at a 1st round bye. It's not like we have anymore great teams on our schedule.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your right the season is not over but the bears have hester,other than that we should win,our special teams need to be on the ball,i give crosby credit last night a 52 yarder stopped the return from going all the way they had their best last night,we didnt play our best and we were still in the game i still see us in the playoffs and a bye week :D

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Are the Cowboys elite?

We were within 3 points in the fourth quarter, without Favre, Woodson, and KGB.

THANK YOU

yeah i agree, the defensive losses especially hurt, and the team showed great resolve

I'm continuously more and more impressed with the character of this roster, top to bottom, on the road, playing a team that is better (or at least playing better that particular night), DOWN 17 in the 2nd, didn't give up and made a game out of it

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So ONE GAME tells you all this. I will agree if Brett Favre plays as badly as he did last night we are not an elite team. I will add that ANY TEAM whose QB is off as bad as Brett was last night will not be an elite team....that night.

I will allow for the fact we are not an elite team against good passing teams without our first team defensive backfied in there. I will allow for that.

Dallas did what Dallas should have done. They went out in the pond and shot the wounded duck by going after Bush often and early. There is no way they get that production with Woodson in there.

My head went down in pre-game when it flashed on the screen KGB and WOODSON-OUT. Kampy at least made Romo flinch once in awhile. We got nothin' from the other side. VERY little pressure.

I was not happy how the game went but I can tell you there is not a Packer player in that locker room that doesn't think they can stay with Dallas.
If anything this game showed me if we get as many cards in our hand as the other guys we will have every bit as good of a chance to beat anybody.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude? I think I am very calm and very realistic. Last night proved we're not a great team, we're a good team. That's where it is. I was just explaining why I thought we weren't among the elite. Now get to school, you don't want to miss the bus.

Just goes to show you that Favre has been "carrying" this team all year. Last night, he didn't.

It happens.

They will bounce back!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

So ONE GAME tells you all this. I will agree if Brett Favre plays as badly as he did last night we are not an elite team. I will add that ANY TEAM whose QB is off as bad as Brett was last night will not be an elite team....that night.

I will allow for the fact we are not an elite team against good passing teams without our first team defensive backfied in there. I will allow for that.

Dallas did what Dallas should have done. They went out in the pond and shot the wounded duck by going after Bush often and early. There is no way they get that production with Woodson in there.

My head went down in pre-game when it flashed on the screen KGB and WOODSON-OUT. Kampy at least made Romo flinch once in awhile. We got nothin' from the other side. VERY little pressure.

I was not happy how the game went but I can tell you there is not a Packer player in that locker room that doesn't think they can stay with Dallas.
If anything this game showed me if we get as many cards in our hand as the other guys we will have every bit as good of a chance to beat anybody.

I kind of blame this game on McCarthy.

NO WAY should Woodson have been returning punts. That's how he got hurt!

It was totally a stupid idea.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not elite when we have injuries at key levels on both sides of the ball.

How were we exploited last night? In the pass defense, stopping the pass rush, creating a pass rush. Let's examine.

Pass defense: With only one legitimate defensive back (Harris) to worry about, the Cowboys moved Owens in motion most of the night so that he'd switch off of Al. If we have Woodson, that doesn't happen. Also, the "lesser" receivers had their way with our DBs. Also, the downfield pass interferences were crucial (one a highly contested call). Those are correctable mistakes. Never mind the play Harris made that was taken away in the first quarter.

Stopping pass rush: Tauscher was hobbling around all game. Junius Coston, a backup, gave up pressure inside all day. IF we're healthy (and I understand you don't have the luxury to guarantee that) we're much better.

Creating a pass rush: KGB's absence and smaller rotation at DT hurt us bad. We had little pressure on Romo all night. Remember the 3rd and 19 that Dallas converted in the 3rd quarter when Green Bay only trailed 3 points? Romo rolled out to his left. I can only imagine KGB's presence on the play would have made that more difficult.

As you can see, the areas we were hurt were the ones most exploited. It's all correctable. I can barely believe we still made it a game. That's a testament to the young players and coaches. They hung in there. They trailed 17 points to arguably the second best team in football and they made it a game!

I'm proud of this team and I'm confident they'll learn from their mistakes and be READY THE NEXT TIME THEY PLAY DALLAS!

GO PACK GO!

Just goes to show you. This defense is not as good as everyone here thought. Where is the depth at DB?

This is what happens when you only depend on the draft and rookies to help you out of a game like this.

Now do you see the benefit of Free Agency, Ted?

A decent vet CB or two would have helped fill the gaps....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just goes to show you. This defense is not as good as everyone here thought. Where is the depth at DB.

This is what happens when you only depend on the draft and rookies to help you out of a game like this.

Now do you see the benefit of Free Agency, Ted?

A decent vet CB or two would have helped fill the gaps....

Of course depth is effected if everybody is hurt. Jarrett Bush is a good role player but if he's in every down, trouble will ensue

Ted Thompson has built a pretty good team, he's made some questionable moves (at the time) which have turned out pretty well...but ******** I wish it were Reggie Nelson who was drafted by JAX back at free safety cause I'm tired of Bigby's penalties

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:
johnny_blood said:
Are the Cowboys elite?

THANK YOU

yeah i agree, the defensive losses especially hurt, and the team showed great resolve

I'm continuously more and more impressed with the character of this roster, top to bottom, on the road, playing a team that is better (or at least playing better that particular night), DOWN 17 in the 2nd, didn't give up and made a game out of it

YES YES YES, I LIKE WHEN YOU GUYS TYPE MY RESPONSES FOR ME, SAVES TIME

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think missing Woodson & KGB in this game are some big reasons we did not win this game.

Our Offensive line is not elite, and some of those plays calls in the first half were not elite.

It seemed like the west coast short passing game was working pretty good, I did not get all those long bombs down the field.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Are the Cowboys elite?

True. I am happy about that. Even without 3 of our playmakers we held our own.

Are we elite? Who knows.... Are the Cowboys?...again...who knows.

Any given Sunday.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were without three of our top playmakers for most of the game. Talk all you want about depth, but if you lose three of your top playmakers for an extended period of time, it's nearly impossible to win.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one game fresh on everybody's mind and it's easy to try and label us as not that great today. The facts are if the Packers are NOT an elite team than neither are at least TWENTY NINE other teams and probably more than that if you look at the last fifteen games by all teams.

If the Boys had been beaten that night by the Bills (as they should have) would they then not be an elite team now either?

It is what it is. The Cowboys played better than us last night and beat us. It's not like we got beat by a bunch of scrubs nor did how we play say in anyway we can't hang with them. We did, in fact, hang even though we played lousy in many areas.

We ALSO played them at their place in what was their third consecutive home game vs. our second consecutive road game(having to go beat Detroit on turkey day no less) with many more players out of the game.

That's why you have to look at this game as ONE game. We will not see these guys again under the same set of circumstances no matter HOW the rest of the year turns out.

You see we played three times in eighteen days and ended up against the Boys on the end of a three game home stand. Talk about stacking the deck. And don't think that means nothing because it does.

Just the shear number of bodies that went down over that stretch says so.

Reaction score

Great post. I completely agree.

Reaction score
Our Offensive line is not elite, and some of those plays calls in the first half were not elite.

It seemed like the west coast short passing game was working pretty good, I did not get all those long bombs down the field.

That is all on Brett.

The play he threw to Driver deep in double coverage, he had Jennings running across on an underneath route with no one near him.

Brett still throws to Driver. That isn't on McCarthy, it's on Brett.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand all this "If Brett isn't perfect, we lose." Brett has been a huge reason we have been winning, but not the only one. He played awful last night. Kyle Orton-like. Seriously, the guy had 8.9 passer rating when he out with the injury. Aaron Rodgers came in and scored 17 points against this D. The amount of quality receivers is just as big as Brett playing well.

Ryan Grant had a 94 yard game on the ground, without the benefit of running out the clock like he usually does. Brett had to carry this offense for the first half of the year, but Grant is legit, and takes a huge weight from Favre's shoulders.

Stop with this Brett is the team. Our D played horrible, in addition to injuries, and that is why we lost the game.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand all this "If Brett isn't perfect, we lose." Brett has been a huge reason we have been winning, but not the only one. He played awful last night. Kyle Orton-like. Seriously, the guy had 8.9 passer rating when he out with the injury. Aaron Rodgers came in and scored 17 points against this D. The amount of quality receivers is just as big as Brett playing well.

Ryan Grant had a 94 yard game on the ground, without the benefit of running out the clock like he usually does. Brett had to carry this offense for the first half of the year, but Grant is legit, and takes a huge weight from Favre's shoulders.

Stop with this Brett is the team. Our D played horrible, in addition to injuries, and that is why we lost the game.

Agreed, Brett does not need to be perfect - he needs to be smart - and last night he was not. We can ***** all we want about Brett and the DB's - and yes they were bad last night, but games are won and lost along the line of scrimmage and Dallas had their way with us last night on both sides of the ball.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which teams are elite in the NFL? I'd say that at worst we are the 2nd best team in the NFC and a top 6 team overall.

Members online

Latest posts