Week 9 Sunday late game at Kansas City (Pregame and after game thread)

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think where we'd be if we didn't have Gary, one of the better players on defense these days...

if you don't have 3 pass rushers you don't have enough IMO

I think the Jones contract was pretty palatable all things considered. he got some money, we got an easy out after 2 years and it keeps our nucleus of playmakers on offense for the end of Rodger's career.

Every team leverages some hurt into the end of their HOF QB's career in one way or another. Thompson was able to ease that part through shrewd moves, but then he also got ripped for it pretty much his entire career for not spending enough too. You can't have everything.

Gary wasnt a bad pick. I do like him, didnt at the time but hes a good edge, but you take Jeffery Simmons there. That was discounted top 5 overall talent because of the ACL tear. He showed it last night. Then with where we went with Savage, again I like the player but the correct pick was to take DK. You then have 2 all pro caliber players instead of two above average players on your team.

I do agree you need 3 pass rushers but your 3rd just needs to be serviceable. Like a Kyler Fackrell taken in the 3rd or a Jonathan Garvin taken in the 7th. Get a guy in the 2nd or middle rounds. Instead we went pick 12 to get a guy where we already have big money invested into the position for the same length of time as the Gary pick. It just doesnt make sense. Its like there is no plan with the selections being made. Believe me we are going to pay for it dearly next season and it didnt need to be that way.

Reaction score
Gary wasnt a bad pick. I do like him, didnt at the time but hes a good edge, but you take Jeffery Simmons there. That was discounted top 5 overall talent because of the ACL tear. He showed it last night. Then with where we went with Savage, again I like the player but the correct pick was to take DK. You then have 2 all pro caliber players instead of two above average players on your team.

after the WTF Team contest, Gary had just 3.5 recorded Sacks. But the untold story was his then 13 QB hits and 35 QB “pressures”. His QB pressure rate was #3 in the NFL. He was pacing something like 85 QB pressures for the season, which is elite. He’s now also pacing 35 QB hits and 8.5 Sacks along with those Pressures. I don’t have membership to PFF, but maybe someone can tell us where he is today production wise??

Upon review, He’s a solid pick there at #12 overall and if he gets any better he’ll tip to elite.

As far as Savage I kinda see him (off the top of my head) as just that above average Safety.
I noticed he plays best when used situationally attacking the LOS and disrupting plays with his elite speed (he was very successful doing that in College) I think he’s about what we’d expect from a 21st overall type selection. He’s not constantly whiffing like Dix used to, but gives up an occasional big play that he should make. Both him and Amos are efficient at making you pay for Errant throws, but not necessarily going to dominate the play either. I have Savage as
Quietly efficient.

My hope is that Darnell is brought up near LOS more (similar to a Woodson role) when possible.
I think he’s more talented than his role allows him to be. I’d like to see him Pass Rush off the edge occasional, he’s really fast and disruptive used like that. I’d do that in the playoffs as the weather turns and against QB’s who don’t have the arm talent to fight the elements with accuracy.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what best player available vs. drafting for need can sometimes lead to.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without anyone throwing things at me.. and combined with your very best objective view (not using past mishaps).

How did y’all rate Kevin King in his first game back from injury?

I’m partly asking because I missed several plays towards the beginning and end of the game. So I’m trying to get eye witness, first impression type feedback.
I think he did pretty good all things considered. Mahomes was off on a number of long throws until that last drive. But we need Stokes back and King as the extra right now. We need picks. We lost the TO battle Sunday.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was against the Gary pick when it happened and I am delighted to admit I was wrong! He is currently an elite OLB. He needs to improve against the run but he's one of the best edge rushers in the NFL right now and rushing the passer is the most important part of playing OLB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hink our D is better with him and preston than preston and Zsmith on the edges. Both play the run much better and balance this defense out. Zsmith is a better pass rusher than Psmith, but Gary is on par at this point and plays the run far better.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's get Z Dog and Alexander back for the stretch run and keep everyone else healthy and this defense could be good enough to ride to a Super Bowl. If the offense ever fully wakes up, look out!

All we would need then is for the Special Teams to stop being especially bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also agree that the best thing for GB in the long run is the success of Jordan Love. We have to move on. We could use the money being shelled out to Rogers to shore up lots of areas on our team.

Actually, if the Packers decide to move on from Rodgers the cap space saved isn't even enough to get under the cap for next season without making any other moves.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Correct. I believe all Packers fans should go to overthecap and look at just how bad the cap situation is next season.
Totally agree.

I like this site better, but probably because I am just used to it. Reading the tables in different sites confuse me, so I stick to one. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. I believe all Packers fans should go to overthecap and look at just how bad the cap situation is next season.
I'm not, i refuse LOL

I already know this team is in for some major roster turnover as we're beyond tight against the cap. The strain is probably similar to what my buttons are going to be feeling in a little over a week, but worse.

I'm not looking until this year is over, i won't be able to enjoy it if i'm still worrying about next year. They don't pay me enough to worry :)

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree.

I like this site better, but probably because I am just used to it. Reading the tables in different sites confuse me, so I stick to one. :)

I dont use spotrac because their cap projection is off. The NFLPA agreed to a cap ceiling of $208M and spotrac is still using $214M for some reason. Its only $6M difference but when your $40M over the cap thats significant.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I dont use spotrac because their cap projection is off. The NFLPA agreed to a cap ceiling of $208M and spotrac is still using $214M for some reason. Its only $6M difference but when your $40M over the cap thats significant.
There you go....thanks for pointing that out. Like I said, I prefer spotrac because I use it all the time and thus easy to understand how the information is listed. I rarely look at the Final Cap number until we are in the process of building a roster for that season it pertains to. Still, lazy work on Spotrac's part, since that number was set at the end of May.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hink our D is better with him and preston than preston and Zsmith on the edges. Both play the run much better and balance this defense out. Zsmith is a better pass rusher than Psmith, but Gary is on par at this point and plays the run far better.
Gary doesn't play the run much better than Z. Honestly, the best scenario would be Z, Gary, and Z together because Z is really an interior pass rusher that plays OLB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary doesn't play the run much better than Z. Honestly, the best scenario would be Z, Gary, and Z together because Z is really an interior pass rusher that plays OLB.
It seems to me that almost everybody contains better than Z. When he rushes from the inside; that is obviously not a problem.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that almost everybody contains better than Z. When he rushes from the inside; that is obviously not a problem.

That's probably because the pay incentives for OLBs is that rushing the passer matters and stopping the run doesn't really matter that much. Z is bad against the run but if Gary is any better then the improvement is slight. Preston is actually pretty good against the run as far as edge rushers go (11th in rush defense according to PFF) so it doesn't really matter that much since Preston will almost always be lined up on the strong side.

Either way, if Rashan can consistently be a top-10 pass rusher then he's a phenomenal pick even if he's a below average defender. I mean, the only guys as good at rushing the passer as Gary AND better against the run are guys like Myless Garrett, Von Miller, TJ Watt, and the Bosa brothers.

Reaction score
Gary doesn't play the run much better than Z.
You’d think that, but several weeks ago there was an article I read (which I cannot find now PFF?) which had Gary in the top #5 DE/OLB in QB pressures AND top #10 In Run Defense grade. At one point a few weeks ago he also had ZERO missed tackles on the season. I’m pretty sure that Gary is our highest graded overall player at pass rush and run defense combined. Maybe someone can prove me wrong though?
I don’t think he slid much. In Week 12, Rashan played 53% (33 snaps) and recorded 4 QB pressures, 2 QB hits, 1 Sack, 1 FF and 3 tackles. The guy is playing lights out

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts