Week 9 Sunday late game at Kansas City (Pregame and after game thread)

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it’s the best thing for GB long term. Aaron Rodgers has been great, but all this drama is worse than having to move back in with your parents.:whistling:
I also agree that the best thing for GB in the long run is the success of Jordan Love. We have to move on. We could use the money being shelled out to Rogers to shore up lots of areas on our team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I also agree that the best thing for GB in the long run is the success of Jordan Love. We have to move on. We could use the money being shelled out to Rogers to shore up lots of areas on our team.
The Packers will probably have an interesting conundrum when this season is done. It might depend on Rodgers or they just do it no matter how Rodgers feels. That of "Do we trade him now, while we can get something for him and start the rebuild in 2022 with some more draft capital" or "Do we ride his coat tails one more season and let the chips fall as they may."

Love didn't prove to me that he was ready, but he also didn't prove to me that he couldn't some day be ready. I think the coaches and FO will have a better sense of that. That said, I think that an average skilled veteran QB running the current Packer offense, wins that game yesterday. Can we win the tough games and against better teams with just an average QB? Probably but only about 40% of them.

Change is a coming I think and Rodgers won't be in those 2022 plans is my prediction. The recent vaccine incident and the hit it is putting on Rodgers and the organization, might have been the last straw.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't even think its about Jordan Love, its more about what you do with Rodgers. When do you part with a FHOF QB that wanted out of Green Bay, is now in the middle of another drama, takes up a huge chunk of the cap and threatened to retire. We all used to joke that Rodgers became a Packer due to Favre and Love came in due to Rodgers. More and more, I think how/why Favre and Rodgers leave the team are going to play out equally similar.

The Packers probably won't have a lot of answers on Love, unless Rodgers gets injured or the league suspends him a few games for Vaxgate. Even then, they may not be sure. Basically, the Packers FO is going to have to decide when they want to start the process of finding their next starting QB.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Harris .. yeah, empty suit for the most part but I agreed with her sentiment. I wonder how many of the 50% would have chosen to be vaccinated had 45 not laid the groundwork that he did before getting vaccinated?
AT 28% or so approval rating that is bad.

Anyway....not sure since he was pressured by a certain group so he fast-tracked this vaccine bypassing any Phases to get it out to the public.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rapaport and Schefter both reported this weekend that while Rodgers and the Packers will probably be fined it's unlikely that they'll lose draft picks and pretty much no way they'll be any more games suspended

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that the number of people that have contracted covid, the number of people that have been hospitalized, and the number of people that have died have all decreased since the vaccines have become available nudge me to the theory that they work.
Trust me, Bud I want nothing more than to get pass this craziness. It's good to know it is working. We have too many issues alone that is dividing destroying this country as it is.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like a new ST.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The totals I had read was around 15,000 deaths. Now percentage wise that is small since the number vaccinated is much higher than the flu, pneumonia, or shingles e.g. now that is just deaths from the vaccine. The CDC does breakdown deaths more in detail such as dying of ONLY COVID and not in combination of other causes.
Crazy... Sad that even one death is allowed in order to save "humanity." That is why i'm not for these mandates.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not mean to open a can of worms or cause any heated arguments etc....
This is from my opinion and observations only and will do my best to not seem biased.
If this is not the place to discuss this on this forum, is there another section it would be better for?

Have you noticed how Covid is being treated when it was Trump vs Biden?
With Trump every gathering of those in his camp were "super spreaders."
And those that were Left Wing related never were. Not once.
And now those words are not mentioned at all. Like for sporting events.
Covid is still very much among us but now it pretty much is forgotten about under Biden even though IMO he has not gotten it 100% under control.
We no longer hear anymore if, say, 300 got infected and 100 died when they went to this large gathering of 5,000 or whatever.
CNN has stopped with the sidebar showing the numbers of sick and dead.
Etc.
It's pretty obvious what is going on. But I don't want to say anymore because i'm already on the mod's radar. LOL

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crazy... Sad that even one death is allowed in order to save "humanity." That is why i'm not for these mandates.
Updated VAERS just reported for 2021 to date. Deaths caused directly BY taking the vaccine worldwide is 17,128. Of that in the US is 8,083. As small a percentage as this is would any one of us take this so lightly if it was in our families? This should be cause for concern but until now it has been swept under the rug.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what I said before this game if Love shows potential that we rethink things and not to be in the same camp as Saints to rely on one QB long term. However, I didn't see anything special yesterday with Love.

To be honest I was thankful we still had Rodgers when I was watching the game.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated VAERS just reported for 2021 to date. Deaths caused directly BY taking the vaccine worldwide is 17,128. Of that in the US is 8,083. As small a percentage as this is would any one of us take this so lightly if it was in our families? This should be cause for concern but until now it has been swept under the rug.
Exactly, if we speak up or question this vaccine mandate we are considered "anti-vaxxers."

Like I said I have to be careful what I say since i'm on mod radars right now.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams play vanilla schemes in the preseason. The system will be much more complicated for Love today.

I wasnt discussing play selection but rather the tasks he would have been responsible in terms of protection calls, audibles and the route tree. With younger QBs a team might restrict him strictly to one side of the field or make it 2 reads and then throw it away to slow the game down for them. PS being about evaluation, a young quarterback's coaches often will give them more leash, partly because the games dont count.

Reaction score
The Packers will probably have an interesting conundrum when this season is done. It might depend on Rodgers or they just do it no matter how Rodgers feels. That of "Do we trade him now, while we can get something for him and start the rebuild in 2022 with some more draft capital" or "Do we ride his coat tails one more season and let the chips fall as they may."

Love didn't prove to me that he was ready, but he also didn't prove to me that he couldn't some day be ready. I think the coaches and FO will have a better sense of that. That said, I think that an average skilled veteran QB running the current Packer offense, wins that game yesterday. Can we win the tough games and against better teams with just an average QB? Probably but only about 40% of them.

Change is a coming I think and Rodgers won't be in those 2022 plans is my prediction. The recent vaccine incident and the hit it is putting on Rodgers and the organization, might have been the last straw.
One approach is to bring in a known veteran backup next season. Much like the Saints did with Bridgewater etc.. as an insurance policy. To get a good veteran backup it’s likely $5mil+incentives but its a short term strategy in the event he doesn’t progress.
Personally I think Love is going to sink or swim and he’s got more swim in him than sink. That’s just based on his past reputation of being ultra competitive. History tells us he does more favorable when he’s a known starter and learns the nuances of the guys around him. When thrown into a newer system he takes awhile to adjust to all the changes. I’m pretty confident if he had a half dozen games with the same group he’d gel

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One approach is to bring in a known veteran backup next season. Much like the Saints did with Bridgewater etc.. as an insurance policy. To get a good veteran backup it’s likely $5mil+incentives but its a short term strategy in the event he doesn’t progress.
Personally I think Love is going to sink or swim and he’s got more swim in him than sink. That’s just based on his past reputation of being ultra competitive. History tells us he does more favorable when he’s a known starter and learns the nuances of the guys around him. When thrown into a newer system he takes awhile to adjust to all the changes. I’m pretty confident if he had a half dozen games with the same group he’d gel
Most definitely. If Rodgers is out, the Packers would be crazy stupid to go into 2022 with Love and Benkert as their #1 and #2. Unless of course, one of them wakes up and has been transformed into a Rodgers clone.

Now if the Cap hits hard and the Packers have a fire sale and go into full rebuild mode, then I wouldn't care if Micky Mouse or Graham Mertz was the QB, it will take a few years and some good draft picks to get this team back to what is has been the last several years and in the meantime, you don't spend a ton on just one player.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the right move. Matt Flynn had a little more experience when he took over in 2013. But experienced backups were not a TT thing. Before him we had guys like Doug Pederson, Hasselback, Steve Bono, Jim McMahon to name a few.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The best thing for the Packers is always to keep Rodgers. He is the best in the league and this game proved it. That is a 14+ point victory with Rodgers in.

The sad truth is Gutenkunst has misused his resources so poorly that we are screwed moving forward. I mean 2020 you take Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman you can smooth the transition from Adams. Then you take Dillon in the 2nd round which I am fine with but if you make that move you cant pay Jones. You sign 2 edge players in 2019 but then take another edge 12th overall. Its overkill at the position and I like Gary, I do but that is a 12th overall player and $23M against our cap this year and that number balloons to $49M next season. We are projected to be $41M over the cap next season and that before rookie deals are factored in and anything else we need to sign just to fill the roster.

Just really a poorly managed roster. Gutenkunst eggs are all in the basket for this year and really it didnt need to be that way if he didnt blunder so poorly with roster decisions.

Reaction score
Without anyone throwing things at me.. and combined with your very best objective view (not using past mishaps).

How did y’all rate Kevin King in his first game back from injury?

I’m partly asking because I missed several plays towards the beginning and end of the game. So I’m trying to get eye witness, first impression type feedback.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without anyone throwing things at me.. and combined with your very best objective view (not using past mishaps).

disappointed he dropped the INT, but he played very well I thought. Makes the catch puts him in stud category for me

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing for the Packers is always to keep Rodgers. He is the best in the league and this game proved it. That is a 14+ point victory with Rodgers in.

The sad truth is Gutenkunst has misused his resources so poorly that we are screwed moving forward. I mean 2020 you take Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman you can smooth the transition from Adams. Then you take Dillon in the 2nd round which I am fine with but if you make that move you cant pay Jones. You sign 2 edge players in 2019 but then take another edge 12th overall. Its overkill at the position and I like Gary, I do but that is a 12th overall player and $23M against our cap this year and that number balloons to $49M next season. We are projected to be $41M over the cap next season and that before rookie deals are factored in and anything else we need to sign just to fill the roster.

Just really a poorly managed roster. Gutenkunst eggs are all in the basket for this year and really it didnt need to be that way if he didnt blunder so poorly with roster decisions.
Just think where we'd be if we didn't have Gary, one of the better players on defense these days...

if you don't have 3 pass rushers you don't have enough IMO

I think the Jones contract was pretty palatable all things considered. he got some money, we got an easy out after 2 years and it keeps our nucleus of playmakers on offense for the end of Rodger's career.

Every team leverages some hurt into the end of their HOF QB's career in one way or another. Thompson was able to ease that part through shrewd moves, but then he also got ripped for it pretty much his entire career for not spending enough too. You can't have everything.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Rodgers is going to start once he's off the COVID-19 list again.

While Runyan left the game for some snaps he returned to it later in the game.
Oh good! I didn't realize that. It is hard to keep track of everything when you don't get Wayne and Larry.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I’m partly asking because I missed several plays towards the beginning and end of the game. So I’m trying to get eye witness, first impression type feedback.
I think PFF, for what it is worth, gave him one of the higher ratings of the defensive players. Then again, I thought Barnes looked much improved and they gave him and Campbell low marks due to how many passing yards they gave up.