Week 9: Packers in New England

BostonBlackie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how he would. As Rodgers himself said this week, to paraphrase, "5 rings ends the discussion".

Brady wants to beat the other top QB in the league (though Brees might have something to say about that) because he is highly competitive. His legacy is secure.

Exactly. That's not to push aside Rodgers, or the Packers, in any way. You folks know what you have there. You're one of America's gold-plated sports franchises, and Rodgers is an athletic freak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Good stuff.. But maybe if we avoid a fake punt, a punt downed on the one, a 25 yard punt and a fumble on a kickoff we can beat these guys. Special Teams has to play much better.

Just to be clear, the drive on which Hekker completed a pass on fourth down didn't result in any points for the Rams.

H

HardRightEdge

Just to be clear, the drive on which Hekker completed a pass on fourth down didn't result in any points for the Rams.
The affect was the Rams picked up 12 yards on the play then pinned the Packers at the 4 with the ensuing punt.

H

HardRightEdge

True, Hekker has the leg to put the ball there from his own 45 as well though.
It's a lot easier putting the ball out of bounds at the 4 on a 39 yard kick than a 51 yard kick. He might have tried that on the longer kick and put it in the end zone or put it out at the 10, or he might have gone for the middle of the field and a fair catch that ends on the 10, the difference affecting the subsequent play sequence.

What actually happened is certain, everything else is speculative, and there isn't any question those 12 yards made it easier to do what he did.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a Crossroads game. Can they continue their momentum from last week? If they can, and win this game then they've got winnable games against Miami and Seattle. They can be 6-3-1, healthy and on a roll and with an extra 3 days off heading into Minnesota.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a lot easier putting the ball out of bounds at the 4 on a 39 yard kick than a 51 yard kick. He might have tried that on the longer kick and put it in the end zone or put it out at the 10, or he might have gone for the middle of the field and a fair catch that ends on the 10, the difference affecting the subsequent play sequence.

What actually happened is certain, everything else is speculative, and there isn't any question those 12
yards made it easier to do what he did.

Actually I'm not disagreeing at all, just wanted to point out that the Rams drive didn't result in any poikts.

Special teams were the difference.

Special teams were a huge factor in the loss vs. the Rams but definitely not the only one.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Gronk and Sony Michel are game time decisions. If Gronk does not play, this becomes a very favorable matchup for the Packers.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah...well i was screaming at the TV ...watch the fake...oh just like i was when seattle faked the field goal. The point is they were not ready...king was 15 yards off of line, our special teams play is not even average. I hope our offense and D play well tonight ....enough to off set New England killing us on Special Teams

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I'm not disagreeing at all, just wanted to point out that the Rams drive didn't result in any poikts.

Special teams were a huge factor in the loss vs. the Rams but definitely not the only one.
Exactly, some seem to forget the run with NO LEAD BLOCKER from the 1 foot line.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how he would. As Rodgers himself said this week, to paraphrase, "5 rings ends the discussion".

Brady wants to beat the other top QB in the league (though Brees might have something to say about that) because he is highly competitive. His legacy is secure.

It's not just about Rodgers. Someone will eventually come along in the future who will tie or exceed Brady. What if 20 years from now some QB wins 5 Super Bowls to tie Brady. Then they'll say "Well Brady could never beat the other top QB at the time Aaron Rodgers..."

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 yards off the line covering a gunner faster than himself. Where would you have lined him up?
he was more than 5 yards off. and made no play on the ball. Its hard to defend packers special teams...everyone knows it.

H

HardRightEdge

It's not just about Rodgers. Someone will eventually come along in the future who will tie or exceed Brady. What if 20 years from now some QB wins 5 Super Bowls to tie Brady. Then they'll say "Well Brady could never beat the other top QB at the time Aaron Rodgers..."
Of course. Just as today Joe Montana hardly enters the conversation.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah...well i was screaming at the TV ...watch the fake...oh just like i was when seattle faked the field goal. The point is they were not ready...king was 15 yards off of line, our special teams play is not even average. I hope our offense and D play well tonight ....enough to off set New England killing us on Special Teams

Yeah but you don't get to claim credit for getting one right if you scream "watch the fake" on every punt :D

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Rodgers himself said this week, to paraphrase, "5 rings ends the discussion"..
Actually Rodgers said "Five rings ends MOST discussions". A subtle difference, but he did leave himself a little bit of the window open :)

H

HardRightEdge

Actually Rodgers said "Five rings ends MOST discussions". A subtle difference, but he did leave himself a little bit of the window open :)
He's be aware there are places where there might be dissent. Places like this, for example. ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's be aware there are places where there might be dissent. Places like this, for example. ;)
As Rodgers intimates, it's hard to argue with five rings. Of course, Brady never had to live with a Dom Capers defense, or with slow moving Ted :)

Rodgers may be the most athletic quarterback in the league (although I'm not sure that's the right way to put it). You would think that having a great QB would be a big advantage with the way the league rules are favoring passing. But it seems kind of like it has the opposite effect. The new rules seem to sort of water down our quarterback advantage, because there are so many QBs putting up ridiculous numbers on a regular basis these days.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Montana will always be in any conversation I have about GOAT. He played under a different set of rules than Brady and Rodgers do.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As Rodgers intimates, it's hard to argue with five rings. Of course, Brady never had to live with a Dom Capers defense, or with slow moving Ted :)

Rodgers may be the most athletic quarterback in the league (although I'm not sure that's the right way to put it). You would think that having a great QB would be a big advantage with the way the league rules are favoring passing. But it seems kind of like it has the opposite effect. The new rules seem to sort of water down our quarterback advantage, because there are so many QBs putting up ridiculous numbers on a regular basis these days.
Rodgers up till last season was a better runner and probably has a better arm than Brady, but I think Brady has a steadier more cerebral approach than Rodgers. It’s impossible to argue with Brady’s results. I don’t know why people even try.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As far as pure greatness, anyone would be crazy to have Montana outside of their top 2.

It’s Brady and Montana in whatever order. Rodgers as an all time great isn’t in my top 3-5. Yet.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
he was more than 5 yards off. and made no play on the ball. Its hard to defend packers special teams...everyone knows it.
Packers special teams have sucked for a while. If Crosby doesn't put it deep in the end zone it seems the other team always seems the get it past the thirty. We can't seem receive a punt or a kick off without a flag for holding or illegal block in the back. Our kick returns seem to never reach the 20. Hiring Ron Zook was NOT the answer.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Video clip on Twitter of the Packers arriving at Gillette showed Scott getting off the bus.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always find it amusing when analysts state there’s no debate because Brady has 5 rings. They ignore the fact that Rodgers has played 8 less seasons than Brady. (Due to younger age) Rodgers has way more time than Brady to add to his resume.