Week 8: Packers at Rams

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The rams killed us on that play, lead blocker, Williams running, etc not much was going to work. Our oline was destroyed on that play. It happens sometimes. I thought we overcame it in the game though. One positive. In the past that play and the bobbling catch that set up a TD later going into the half would have sunk us. It didn’t

Yup and its one of those situations that if you are going to run the ball, I prefer having a 2 back set, preferably a fullback right behind the QB, but since the Packers do not have a true FB, that isn't an option, unless they put a TE there, and he has some experience taking hand offs. Handing the ball to your halfback, who is lined up pretty deep, seems to be a failure waiting to happen.

Easy to watch the play again and see that had Rodgers faked the hand off, MVS was wide open on a slant for a quick 5-10 yard gain, oh well, live and learn.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the past six seasons NFL teams have run the ball of 52.7% of the plays from their own 1. Those plays are risky no matter what though as 8% of them result in points for the other team.

Astonishing. It's like coaches don't know stats!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and its one of those situations that if you are going to run the ball, I prefer having a 2 back set, preferably a fullback right behind the QB, but since the Packers do not have a true FB, that isn't an option, unless they put a TE there, and he has some experience taking hand offs. Handing the ball to your halfback, who is lined up pretty deep, seems to be a failure waiting to happen.

They should have just let Jones catch the ball there. Fake a hand off, toss a quick short throw to Jones who can get few more yards.

It's like we don't like to experiment or utilize players ability fully. Jones has good hands.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They should have just let Jones catch the ball there. Fake a hand off, toss a quick short throw to Jones who can get few more yards.

It's like we don't like to experiment or utilize players ability fully. Jones has good hands.

I doubt Jones is able to sneak out of that in time to catch a pass, but I would have been in favor of a fake hand off with Rodgers rolling out on a bootleg, giving him 3 options...run, pass or throw the ball away.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There were so many bodies in there, it was equally as likely he never makes it into a pattern or open spot to get a pass and Rodgers gets sacked.

The Rams destroyed our line on that play. That doesn’t usually bode well for a positive play no matter what you call.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were so many bodies in there, it was equally as likely he never makes it into a pattern or open spot to get a pass and Rodgers gets sacked.

The Rams destroyed our line on that play. That doesn’t usually bode well for a positive play no matter what you call.
I disagree. I would much prefer shotgun 5WR when were that backed up. Quick pass. Rodgers can always throw it in the dirt at the receivers feet if pressure comes. Much less risk of safety. When in danger that backed up, I would prefer the ball to be in Aaron's hands.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I would much prefer shotgun 5WR when were that backed up. Quick pass. Rodgers can always throw it in the dirt at the receivers feet if pressure comes. Much less risk of safety. When in danger that backed up, I would prefer the ball to be in Aaron's hands.
That area of the field is wrought with danger for an offense, especially when you oline is dominated on the play. Holding is a safety too. That many guys getting penetration fill passing lanes, tipped balls, ints and when you’re 2 yards in the end zone already where are you setting up you’re dump off? And how does he just throw it at the receivers feet when the dline is sitting between you and your receiver? Intentional grounding is still a thing and the results are the same.

No matter what is called, you can’t get dominated up front like that and expect a positive play.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to rehash this thread but I’m rewatching our game and dude.... Jiar Alexander is a freaking monster in man coverage. Blake Martinez was all over the place. Y’all have to be excited about this young defense.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sorry to rehash this thread but I’m rewatching our game and dude.... Jiar Alexander is a freaking monster in man coverage. Blake Martinez was all over the place. Y’all have to be excited about this young defense.
We definitely have some promising young players. Jaire is a pro bowl level player, without question. A total game changer. Martinez has played great. King and Jackson have a ton of promise as well. We need a permanent solution at safety and we need upgrades at OLB, but to your point there's some real potential.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely have some promising young players. Jaire is a pro bowl level player, without question. A total game changer. Martinez has played great. King and Jackson have a ton of promise as well. We need a permanent solution at safety and we need upgrades at OLB, but to your point there's some real potential.

Its had to have been dope to watch the defense evolve for you guys. Matthews is still a very good pass rusher, just disappears at times. I remembered when y’all drafted Ha Ha... liked the pick actually. But sounds like your FO likes the guys behind him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its had to have been dope to watch the defense evolve for you guys. Matthews is still a very good pass rusher, just disappears at times. I remembered when y’all drafted Ha Ha... liked the pick actually. But sounds like your FO likes the guys behind him.

We would have gladly traded Ha Ha for Gurley ;)

Wasn't really that the FO liked the guys behind him, more like the FO didn't like the guy himself it would seem. Last year of his rookie deal, hasn't been consistent, not a great team player and they weren't going to resign him. Just a matter of trying to get value now, instead of nothing when he walks at the end of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews is still a very good pass rusher, just disappears at times.

Matthews most likely had his best game of the season vs. the Rams but overall hasn't been any good for the majority of this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is nice to watch them get better. See the young guys take advantage of opportunity and learn and grow. But like the super group Warrant told us way back in 1990, Most folks don’t ‘cause they’re too busy *****ing.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would have gladly traded Ha Ha for Gurley ;)

Wasn't really that the FO liked the guys behind him, more like the FO didn't like the guy himself it would seem. Last year of his rookie deal, hasn't been consistent, not a great team player and they weren't going to resign him. Just a matter of trying to get value now, instead of nothing when he walks at the end of the season.

Makes complete sense then. Looks like a good deal then. Even for the draft pick y'all received.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thats what I've been reading. Seems like he's somewhat "washed up" at this point eh? And wayyyyyyy overpaid.

Matthews is definitely overpaid at this point in his career but the Packers signed him to a pretty smart deal when he was headed towards free agency in 2013.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is definitely overpaid at this point in his career but the Packers signed him to a pretty smart deal when he was headed towards free agency in 2013.

There’s obviously no reason for him to restructure at this point either... he knows he’s almost done.

D

Deleted member 6794

There’s obviously no reason for him to restructure at this point either... he knows he’s almost done.

The Packers don't have any option to reduce Matthews salary for this season as it became fully guaranteed once he was on the roster in week 1. It will be interesting to see if they offer him another one and at what conditions if they do next offseason.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have any option to reduce Matthews salary for this season as it became fully guaranteed once he was on the roster in week 1. It will be interesting to see if they offer him another one and at what conditions if they do next offseason.

What do you think happens? If retained, what does that number look like in your eyes?

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you think happens? If retained, what does that number look like in your eyes?

I expect the Packers to let Matthews walk away in free agency. If Gutekunst offers him a new deal I would like it to be a one-year contract for less than $5 million.

Members online

No members online now.