Week 6: Dangerous Dallas game upcoming

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really sure what to expect from this game, but it's certainly going to be informative. GPG

Gav DeClerk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have this. Dallas can be had. Prescott hasn't been pressed yet, much less on the road.

H

HardRightEdge

A few observations taken from the Dallas/Cincy game replay:

Dallas D:

This is the kind of D that has been giving Rodgers trouble. Rush 4, drop 7, some man, mostly zone, rarely blitz and when they do they bring 5. Vanilla, not a many variations, but very disciplined. Vulnerable in the short-to-intermediate middle. Not a lot of team speed in the front 7. On the whole, not a good match up for the Packers. Unless the Lacy injury is exaggerated, the Packers may have difficulties controlling the ball unless they get the ball control passing game in gear.

Given Dallas' less than impressive 4 man rush, I suspect we'll see a lot of 4 wide with the RB releasing improving the numbers to 5 on 7. With Montgomery likely to get a fair amount of snaps at RB, he's my sleeper as a factor in the passing the game against those less than speedy LBs.

Claiborne shut down A.J. Green; Nelson may be looking at more of same. Carr is vulnerable. The best opportunities will be attacking underneath and out of the backfield; Cobb and Adams showed a lot of life against the Giants; they need to come up big today. We may see Nelson more out of the slot to exploit the underneath.

The Cowboy's 4 man pass rush did not look particularly impressive against a less than impressive Cincy pass blocking line. Mayowa doesn't have the impressive stat sheet but has quickness and some moves and will need to be accounted for. They used him against Cincy's RT, so the Bulaga matchup will be critical.

All in all, this is a very similar defense to that of the Giants, but with a better #1 corner.

Dallas O:

In the run game, it's not just the vaunted O-Line. These guys run a lot of 2 TE formations shooting 2 guys out to the second level. Elliott was clean to the second level with regularity against Cincy. Unaccountably, they consistently played 7 in the box in the first half and Dallas ran all over them. Ryan and Martinez will need to come up big.

In camp there was talk of Burnett working at hybrid LB. Now would be the time to use it. When Dallas comes out with that 7 man line, look for Burnett to come up to the box, either over Whitten or supporting Matthews side. For all his virtues, Matthews can be run at.

Prescott is pretty impressive. The few times Cincy got some pressure, he was able to get off some accurate throws. I think you have to get some blitz pressure to upset timing. I expect more Matthews in the middle on passing downs or Burnett blitzing from the box. Dallas throws a lot of short timing passes...look for the Capers zone blitz dropping a DL or OLB to try to snag a cheap INT against the rookie.

A lot will have to go right for the Packers to win this game. The O needs to dial up some wrinkles, the receivers will need to execute better than they have, and the defense must contain Elliott and put pressure on the rookie QB. Zero turnovers will be necessary.

This is a coaches game, a match up game. On the whole, he who game plans best and adjusts best wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Elliot is very good, but with this offensive line so far it seems he doesn't have to do much. He practically has more yards before contact than most rbs have total it seems. He's quick, fast, explosive, but he's been running thru express lanes too. We have our work cut out for us on D that's for sure

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It it too early for studs and duds?

So far I've seen Nelson fumble, Adams drop an easy pass, Rodgers throw behind two receivers, a terrible handoff to Montgomery, Ladarius Gunter get torched, Damarious Randall get torched and injured, and almost no pass rush. What a great first half!

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to lie guys. I don't think we're going to win this game. Call it a gut feeling.

Welp, call me Nostradamus. Packers looking suspect all over the place. Offense dropping passes, Run D is looking porous and the secondary looks like a wide open barn door. We're not going to win.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol this team is no where as good as we thought smh. Rodgers can't carry the team or offense all of a sudden . Here's to hoping for a wildcard....Hopefully

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know how I got banned from the shout box?? I see trolls every week in there and I get banned???? For what?

Arkaign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a tough matchup for sure. The injuries were brutal, and Dallas didn't abandon the run like the others did. I think the mojo is just a bit off, there's too much talent to have today's result on an ongoing basis. AR had a lot of time, but was definitely not in sync with those throws despite amazing protection most of the game.

Thursday's game is a chance to rebound, Chicago can definitely screw things up and doesn't really have an identity yet, they're a team in flux. I'd feel better for the chances if Cutler was in there, but Hoyer is MUCH more predictable with protecting the ball. They lost today by a point against the Jags, so they don't exactly look like world-beaters.

And the great news is that it's' like a mini-bye after that, with a lot of extra time to recover and regroup. Looking at the MIN schedule and game results, I don't see it out of the question that GB finishes the season in a stronger fashion as AR hopefully gets it together and players return from injury. At the same time, I don't think MIN will keep strong against better opponents. 17-14 wasn't really a statement win, and we've seen the RELAX moment before. Even great teams can have some rough patches.

GL Pack!