Week 2: on to Minnesota

D

Deleted member 6794

Very true. I would still be ok if all their guys out miss if all our guys would have to as well. Khalil is not a good lt but if Clemmings had to start there we would be in great shape.

Xavier Rhodes not playing would be a huge advantage for the Packers as well.

Floyd is good on their DL but Linval Joseph is still the standard bearer. He was missing last year and we still struggled to move the ball. Floyd would be missed but is replaceable because they have good depth all over their defense. Everyone on that defensive roster plays hard for Zimmer.

The Vikings would miss Floyd as well if he can't play on Sunday as neither Tom Johnson or Shamar Stephen are adequate replacements for him.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This game provides a very great opportunity early in the season.

Though the Packers have the easiest strength of schedule in the NFL, starting the first two games at Jacksonville and now at Minnesota is pretty tough. We win this game, and we're setting ourselves up to have a great chance at the #1 seed in January.

I think Rodgers and the offense will have a really big game. And the combination of Minnesota's offense being a bit in flux and Green Bay's defense being better than given credit for, I think this sets up very nicely. Unless Minnesota makes us do otherwise, I say load the box with 8 or 9 guys and play man on the outside.

Really looking forward to this one. Pack by 2 TD's.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop debating me because I don't agree with your assessment is more like it. "Bad Offense was in Minnesota territory a ton of the game." Facts seem to show different. Granted, the first half they ended up on the MN 36, 10 45 and 6 yard line. Putting up 10 points. The second half, well not quite as good. So I don't know were you get the line from.

Titans possessions in the second half.
Code:
Started on.         Net yards.       Ended on.
Ten 20                   9           Ten 20  Punt
Ten 34                  42            MN 24  Interception
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 24  Punt
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 25  Fumble
Ten 25                  18           Ten 43  Fumble
Ten 15                 -10           Ten  5  Punt
Ten 26                  74            MN  4  Touchdown

Looks like the Titans spent the entire second half on the Vikings side of the field. Of course the pick 6 was just luck. Just luck that E. Griffen was in the QB's face and he tried to force it to prevent a sack. Just luck that Kendricks stepped in front and took it away. Now the fumble for a TD? That was nothing but luck. And let's not forget that another interception was lost because of a bonehead play by Griffen. Had he not pushed the QB late, the Titans wouldn't have scored in the second half.

Oh, BTW, I expect the Packers to win this game. But it's going to be closer than most Packer fans think.
Rman,
How do you know what most Packer fans think? It's ridiculous when fans from another team make those statements, and all teams have those fans. Don't generalize. This is either teams game. Both of these teams have imploded in the past. Its going to be a good game.
DS

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptorman knows a lot more about the Packers than most Packers fans. No need to question that one if you've been here long enough. Raptorman's screen name has a long white beard.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptorman knows a lot more about the Packers than most Packers fans. No need to question that one if you've been here long enough. Raptorman's screen name has a long white beard.

I like raptorman but I dont think he knows as much about the Packers as some here act like he does. I have been here a while and I think he knows how to not come across as condescending without ever really giving the Packers credit or talking well of them. At the same time he feels the need to defend the Viking against even the most obvious of critiques

Case in point. People said the Viking wrs are not impressive. They rank in the bottom 3rd of every preseason ranking. Raptor debates it
People said the Vikings defense wasnt great against the Titans especially in the first half. Mike Zimmer said the exact same thing. He said they were lucky they got turnovers (not that the turnovers were luck). Raptor debates that

He has every right to be on this board but I think he gets a pass by some who act like he comes here to objectively talk about football. He does not. He is a Viking homer just like most of us are Packer homers. He is a smart Viking homer but he isnt objective. Just like I am not objective. I may not be smart though but I like to think i am

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Xavier Rhodes and Sharrif Floyd are officially out against the Pack:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/16/xavier-rhodes-sharrif-floyd-out-this-week/

Big for the Packers. That hurts a lot of their depth. Now Waynes has to start outside with Newman and Munnerlyn essentially starts inside . That is not as intimidating of a secondary. I wouldnt be surprised to see the rookie Alexander some. He got rave reviews and was seen by many to be a first round talent but scouts nitpicked his ability to get interceptions.

Floyd hurts their depth on the dline. Their overall numbers against the run were very solid but early the Titans found running room. Lacy has historically performed well against the Vikings.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this a Vikings/Packers match-up debate so I'll let you have that opinion without debating it. Maybe someone could start a sticky thread for debating Raptorman's merits! :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big for the Packers. That hurts a lot of their depth. Now Waynes has to start outside with Newman and Munnerlyn essentially starts inside . That is not as intimidating of a secondary.
Agreed. I'm not sure that their CBs were ever that intimidating to me, but combined with their safeties they are still formidable. Our WRs still need to prove that last year was a phantom.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this a Vikings/Packers match-up debate so I'll let you have that opinion without debating it. Maybe someone could start a sticky thread for debating Raptorman's merits! :D

I dont mean to be a jerk to him. Sorry if that is how it came across. I just think it is fine to acknowledge he comes wearing purple and gold colored glasses with how he sees things

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not sure that their CBs were ever that intimidating to me, but combined with their safeties they are still formidable. Our WRs still need to prove that last year was a phantom.

I would say their safety. Smith is All-Pro level. Sandejo is just a guy although he graded out well week one. Most Viking fans I know want him out of the lineup

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers rule out Josh Hawkins for Sunday's game vs. the Vkings. Chris Banjo, Jayrone Elliott and Sam Shields are listed as doubtful while Trevor Davis is questionable.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the loss of Floyd hurts more than Rhodes. I expect the Packers to be able to get some yardage from Lacy in that area.

That is surprising. You think Waynes is better depth than what is behind Floyd?

Who backs up the outside guys in case one of the starters get hurt?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That is surprising. You think Waynes is better depth than what is behind Floyd?

Who backs up the outside guys in case one of the starters get hurt?
I do. I think he is going to be starting by mid year. And you will see the older guys as backups once Rhodes gets back. Oh your'e going to love Danielle Hunter. He plays behind Robison and Griffen. As well as Trattou. But Hunter is the man.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do. I think he is going to be starting by mid year. And you will see the older guys as backups once Rhodes gets back. Oh your'e going to love Danielle Hunter. He plays behind Robison and Griffen. As well as Trattou. But Hunter is the man.

Oh I have seen Hunter. I do not love him and by that I mean I think he is going to be very good. I like that Zimmer sticks with Robison bc he is just average in my book. Griffen has always struck me as great against the pass but not against the run but that I have no idea if that is right.

I think that three person cb could get picked on by Rodgers. Captain in the slot seems like a very good match up for Cobb. It will be interesting to see if the Packers are able to hit rbs on pass plays bc the titans had success there

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Oh I have seen Hunter. I do not love him and by that I mean I think he is going to be very good. I like that Zimmer sticks with Robison bc he is just average in my book. Griffen has always struck me as great against the pass but not against the run but that I have no idea if that is right.

I think that three person cb could get picked on by Rodgers. Captain in the slot seems like a very good match up for Cobb. It will be interesting to see if the Packers are able to hit rbs on pass plays bc the titans had success there
Most of that RB out of the backfield was in the first half. (only 1 pass to a RB in the second half) Not the second. Two very different halves for the Vikings defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the loss of Floyd hurts more than Rhodes. I expect the Packers to be able to get some yardage from Lacy in that area.

The Vikings cornerbacks aren't impressive even with Rhodes in the lineup. I guess Smith makes up for a lot of shortcomings in the secondary but I expect Rodgers to exploit Newman, Waynes and Munnerlin on several occasions on Sunday.

Griffen and Robison stay on the field for most of the snaps though and Hunter performed on a pretty high level at Tennessee.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Sunday's game will be the 6th time that the Packers have made their initial appearance in the home venue of a Minnesota football club. The Packers have been playing games in Minnesota dating back over 90 years; although it's only been since 1961 that they've been making an annual trek to their west.

The first time a Packers team ever set foot in Minnesota for a game it was not in the Twin Cities but to the north in Duluth, for a preseason game on Sept. 24,1922. They would play their first regular season National Football League game there two years later on Sept. 28,1924. Those would be the only time that the Packers ever lost their first game in Minnesota.

The Pack lost the 1922 exhibition 2-6 and the 1924 game 3-6. The games were played against the Kelleys at Duluth Athletic Park, which was demolished in 1941 and stood at the site of the present day Wade Stadium in western Duluth.

http://zenithcity.com/zenith-city-history-archives/duluth-culture/athletic-park/

The Packers first trip to the Twin Cities came in 1929 when they met the Minneapolis Red Jackets during the first leg of their first "threepeat" NFL Championship run and won the November meeting 16-6.

That game was played at Nicollet Park, home of the first Twin Cities NFL franchise; first known as the Marines and later renamed the Red Jackets.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=835&q=Nicollet+Park,+Minneapolis,Minnesota&oq=Nicollet+Park,+Minneapolis,Minnesota&gs_l=img.12...1976.10386.0.12481.36.27.0.9.0.0.99.1738.26.26.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.25.1665...0j0i10k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i30k1j0i24k1.7L8INPxhRUQ#imgrc=XeUgC5fctlxdbM:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicollet_Park

The early Minnesota franchises were, like most of that time, unable to match the Packers for durability and folded after a few years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?tm1=gnb&tm2=dul&yr=all
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?tm1=gnb&tm2=mnn&yr=all

For over 30 years there would be no NFL competition for the Packers in Minnesota but they still "graced" the Land of 10,000 Lakes in some largely forgotten intrasquad games they played in preseason in Duluth during the early 1950's.
http://www.perfectduluthday.com/2016/01/03/fish-bowl-of-1952-the-time-duluth-beat-the-packers-sort-of/ (to be continued.)

Then in 1961 the expansion Vikings came into play. For the first 20 years of their existence their home was Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington. http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/metropolitan-stadium/

The Packers would make their initial appearance at "the Met" near midseason of '61. They would win a "close," by the Packer standard of the time, 26 point decision. But the infant Vikings did put up a lot of yards on the best defense in football and managed to hold the Pack to field goals instead of touchdowns 4 times in their red zone.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196110220min.htm

The Packers would find Metropolitan Stadium a very hospitable place to play. Green Bay won its first 7 games there through 1967, clinched the NFC Central Division title from the Vikes in 1972 there (http://www.packershistory.net/1972PACKERS/GAME13.html),and by the time the old stadium had run its course- the Packers won their last game there in 1981 35-23- Green Bay would own an 11-9 all time record over the home team.

In 1982 the Vikings would move into the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis. https://www.google.com/search?q=Hubert+H.+Humphrey+Metrodome&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV1qHFsZbPAhUY5GMKHTp5AQoQsAQIKg&biw=1280&bih=835

The player strike in '82 cancelled the Packers first scheduled appearance there so they didn't make their first game in "the Hump" until the 11th week of the '83 season.

Although the Metrodome would become known as a "house of horrors" for the Packers it didn't start out that way. The Pack won their first game there, their first 3 in a row and 6 of their first 9.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311130min.htm

After the period in the '90's when the Packers struggled there, suffering several losses in almost improbable fashion, they reestablished advantage in the 2000's, winning 8 of their last 13 games in the Dome to finish with a respectable record of 14-16 under the Teflon Top.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers swept the Vikings in their two games at their temporary home in the University of Minnesota's TCF Stadium the past two years. The Packers and Vikings played a third game at the University's old Memorial Stadium in 1969 when the baseball Twins needed Met Stadium for the American League Playoff series that weekend. That was the first time an NFL regular season game was played in a Big Ten stadium.

So altogether the Packers have won all four of their previous first games in the Twin Cities parks; Nicollett, Metropolitan, Metrodome, TCF with a chance to add to the record now at US Bank.

And the Packers hold an all-time winning record in the state of Minnesota at 29-26. They might as well make it an even 30 after this weekend.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big wild card in this game will be Bradford. How has he fared against the Packers in the past? He reminds me a lot of Kyle Orten. He has a good arm and decent accuracy but no mobility. Pass rush on Bradford will decide the game because I think they will contain AP.

D

Deleted member 6794

The big wild card in this game will be Bradford. How has he fared against the Packers in the past? He reminds me a lot of Kyle Orten. He has a good arm and decent accuracy but no mobility. Pass rush on Bradford will decide the game because I think they will contain AP.

If the Packers are able to contain Peterson I don't see any way the team ends up losing the game.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna be a great game. Vikes are going to have to ride their defense hard again to win, which I just don't see happening. The bonehead turnovers Tennessee made shouldn't be repeated by the Pack, so it's going to have to be a low-scoring slugfest if the Vikes are going to hang with us. Their D is very good, but I don't know if it's good enough to hold us under 21 points.

H

HardRightEdge

Shields and Hawkins not being able to play results in the Packers only having three healthy cornerbacks though. Four if you want to include Hyde in the list.
There is no reason not to count Hyde as a CB. He's been a nickel corner his entire time with the Packers except when he filled in at safety due to injury.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be at the game and I think there will be a lot of packer fans there.. But yes we shut down Peterson we will be just fine I think Bradford will be rusty

Members online

Latest posts