Week 16 Christmas Eve: Packers Will Beat Down The Vikings

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would somebody give this a disagree? it was not an opinion... just an informational post.
not sure, but I know i've given a few red x's just because my fat fingers hit the wrong icon when i'm on my phone.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would somebody give this a disagree? it was not an opinion... just an informational post.

Bingo, there is one game this Thursday as usual (Giants and Eagles) and 2 games on Christmas Sunday (Ravens and Steelers and Broncos and Chiefs), and one on Monday night as usual, but it's been the NFL's custom to bump all the other ones back to Saturday whenever Christmas is on Sunday. It's not the first time it's happened and we got the benefit of playing on Christmas Sunday the last 2 times around so it was someone else's turn.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually in the process of trying to figure out the exact methods to what would need to happen if we did not beat Detroit in the final game.

No doubt to get in as a wildcard team without winning the division, it couldn't happen without beating Minny this Saturday. It would also require the Redskins sitting at 7-5-1 to lose two more (also a possibility).

Where I'm fuzzy is on what our tie breakers would be with Tampa Bay. Currently, we both have the same divisional record and would have the same conference record if that played out, and think we both have the same record against common opponents, though with Tampa's split on Atlanta not sure what that would mean. It would get into some crazy stuff here, but think we might be able to win a tie-breaker in there somewhere, unless they upset Dallas tonight.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm actually in the process of trying to figure out the exact methods to what would need to happen if we did not beat Detroit in the final game.

No doubt to get in as a wildcard team without winning the division, it couldn't happen without beating Minny this Saturday. It would also require the Redskins sitting at 7-5-1 to lose two more (also a possibility).

Where I'm fuzzy is on what our tie breakers would be with Tampa Bay. Currently, we both have the same divisional record and would have the same conference record if that played out, and think we both have the same record against common opponents, though with Tampa's split on Atlanta not sure what that would mean. It would get into some crazy stuff here, but think we might be able to win a tie-breaker in there somewhere, unless they upset Dallas tonight.

If the Packers lose at Detroit they could clinch a wild card spot with two losses by the Redskins as well as another one by the Buccaneers as Green Bay currently would win a tie-breaker over Tampa Bay based on a better strength of victory percentage. That could change over the next two weeks though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers lose at Detroit they could clinch a wild card spot with two losses by the Redskins as well as another one by the Buccaneers as Green Bay currently would win a tie-breaker over Tampa Bay based on a better strength of victory percentage. That could change over the next two weeks though.

Ahh, so a little help from Carolina tonight and possibly the NYG at season's end and that would take care of the Redskins, then possibly New Orleans this Saturday (though I doubt it).

Personally I do want to win the division because we'd get our WC round at home that way, but still would accept a failsafe in case Detroit's last bit of luck returned in week 17.

Playoff seeding still has to be sorted out, but for the time being it is

1. Dallas
2. Seattle
3. Atlanta
4. Detroit
5. NYG

as the top 5. Based on the remaining games, it's probably unlikely the top 3 would change unless the Lions upset the Cowboys next week. Guess the debate might be would we want the 4th seed as our spot, or would our road potentially be easier going as a 6th seed into Atlanta and then Dallas?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not want to get too excited too soon. This team has a solid defense that WILL show up to play in Green Bay. That being said #RunTheTableRodgers has played some of the best football I have seen out of an injured QB, ever. Now that being said, our 4th quarter defense loves to let him and us fans down in the last minutes of a football game. Let's see how many turn overs we can create, because that is the only way we can stop a team from scoring.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have confidence in our team, but damn does it still make me nervous every week. We all know how unpredictable the game is and what drives these guys to show up, or not show up. And divisional games are especially notorious for this. On another note, give Ty 25+ carries please!!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder what the weather's supposed to bring to Lambeau this Saturady. I guess considering we were in that freezing environ in Chi-town last week, I was surprised we put up 30 points. I feel if we put anything close to that up against Minny, hell even 27 points, they ain't winning, no how no way.

What gives me confidence is the way we've uncorked Ty Montgomery in the run game, and if we keep getting Jared Cook involved in our passing game, I got a feeling their D will have their hands full enough. Also, Sam Bradford is a worse December QB than Tony Romo ever was.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sat at the Vikings game yesterday, sharing a few high fives with fellow Green Bay fans. The stadium was deafeningly quiet for almost the entire game. They didn't get loud early, on third downs, etc. The team showed the same enthusiasm. A quote that I read from Captain Munnerlyn was that his Vikings went out there expecting the Colts to see the Vikings defensive stats and roll over. I doubt that they will do that for the Packers.

They will still be without Harrison Smith, which is a huge problem for them. Their Dline also lost Tom Johnson to a hamstring, so he will be limited if able to play at all. Thielen got rocked with an illegal hit and entered the concussion protocol. He's their only consistent WR. Diggs shows up some games. Kyle Rudolph is their rock.

The Vikings will try to show that they aren't dead yet. We will do a little rope-a-dope and then walk over them to the Lions.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much does it matter? He wasnt effective today and he had his typical fumble. He struggled the first game and a half as well. That oline was terrible before the injuries and now they are worse. The part of the vikings that worries me is that defense coming into Saturday with a huge chip on their shoulder after being embarrassed.
Or our ST folding and allowing big plays from Patterson! Pack 21-20!!!! It ain't a Packer game unless you almost have a heart attack in the 2nd half

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now now...you do realize who the DC is don't you?! Mr. no killer instinct himself...
noted....but when the team gets up 21-0 the dc will put the prevent/zone scheme in and even a high school qb could pick it apart...take the goggs off.

The defense maintained a lead in 3 of the last 4 weeks, including keeping it as 28 points against a much better offense than the Vikings.

I see that just gets ignored by many posters though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Ahh, so a little help from Carolina tonight and possibly the NYG at season's end and that would take care of the Redskins, then possibly New Orleans this Saturday (though I doubt it).

Personally I do want to win the division because we'd get our WC round at home that way, but still would accept a failsafe in case Detroit's last bit of luck returned in week 17.

Playoff seeding still has to be sorted out, but for the time being it is

1. Dallas
2. Seattle
3. Atlanta
4. Detroit
5. NYG

as the top 5. Based on the remaining games, it's probably unlikely the top 3 would change unless the Lions upset the Cowboys next week. Guess the debate might be would we want the 4th seed as our spot, or would our road potentially be easier going as a 6th seed into Atlanta and then Dallas?

I would prefer the Packers to get a home game in the wild card round by winning the division as well.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to get a home game in the wild card round by winning the division as well.
Yeah I agree, though I'm worried about the Giants. And even if we were to get the 6 seed, I don't particularly like the idea of going TO Atlanta again in perfect conditions for Matt Ryan to fling it all over the yard. With or without Julio.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This weekend could be great. Set up a chance to win the division and officially knock the vikings out of the playoffs. They still have a shot with Washington losing so they have something to play for. I actually expect them to play much better than last week. My guess would be 17-13 packers

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense maintained a lead in 3 of the last 4 weeks, including keeping it as 28 points against a much better offense than the Vikings.

I think one of the reasons some of us 'ignore' some of the positives is because that's what our team is supposed to do.

Also, while you're on track with what you say, can you allow us Negative Nellies the propensity for 'here it comes again' in the Bears game? While three of the last four wins played out well, the previous four losses included one (Atlanta) that reflects our concern while the other three were so bad there wasn't a problem with 'can they hold the lead?'.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, though I'm worried about the Giants. And even if we were to get the 6 seed, I don't particularly like the idea of going TO Atlanta again in perfect conditions for Matt Ryan to fling it all over the yard. With or without Julio.

Actually, looking at all the teams that are headed to the NFC playoffs... I am worried.

Certainly, I am thrilled to see the Packers finally play well and string some victories together (#RunTheTable!) in order to have a chance of getting to the post season. But, if they make it in, they will not be favored in most of the match ups (for good reason).

Not that I am complaining...

D

Deleted member 6794

Certainly, I am thrilled to see the Packers finally play well and string some victories together (#RunTheTable!) in order to have a chance of getting to the post season. But, if they make it in, they will not be favored in most of the match ups (for good reason).

Yet the Packers have beaten three of the teams currently within the top six of the NFC standings and lost to another one by a single point. If they play up to potential it´s possible to win against every of these teams.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet the Packers have beaten three of the teams currently within the top six of the NFC standings and lost to another one by a single point. If they play up to potential it´s possible to win against every of these teams.
Rodgers' mobility or lack thereof is my biggest concern there.... followed closely by the pass defense.

PFanCan

Reaction score

You are the "ying" to Rodell's "yang".

Though many posters ignore the positives that you see, you tend to ignore the negatives that they see.

I think I tend to bounce around- at times am overly optimistic and eagerly grab the green-and-gold goggles, while at other times I get frustrated and tend towards being a negative Nancy.

I do see the point that many are making with regards to Rodgers tossing bombs on plays when it would seem to be better to play a higher odds game of controlling the clock and moving the sticks. For example, on the second-to-last series by the Packers:
  • 1st and 10 at GB 27
    (7:27 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to D.Adams.
  • 2nd and 10 at GB 27
    (7:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Montgomery left tackle to GB 31 for 4 yards (A.Amos).

• 3rd and 6 at GB 31
    (6:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers scrambles right guard to GB 35 for 4 yards (J.Timu).
  • 4th and 2 at GB 35
  • (5:55 - 4th) (Punt formation) J.Schum punts 52 yards to CHI 13, Center-B.Goode. C.LeBlanc to CHI 21 for 8 yards (M.Hyde).
This series was really important to control the clock and keep our defense, which just gave up two quick TDs, off of the field for a while. Move the sticks at least once or twice-- hopefully, score. But, Aaron comes out throwing deep on first down. Two plays and 8 yards later, we punt. That series was very disappointing and gave up any chance of grabbing the momentum away from the Chicago offense.

A deep pass on first down was not my preference and I was quite upset with that attempt. I groaned as Aaron threw it.

I think this is what some posters are frustrated about. I can see their point.

Last edited:

PFanCan

Reaction score
Agreed. With Rodgers under center, anything is possible- no doubt.

But, his lack of mobility hurts a lot. We need him to somehow find a couple healthy legs.

And, Randall needs to get on track as well. Those are my two requests for Santa Claus.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are the "ying" to Rodell's "yang".

Though many posters ignore the positives that you see, you tend to ignore the negatives that they see.

I think I tend to bounce around- at times am overly optimistic and eagerly grab the green-and-gold goggles, while at other times I get frustrated and tend towards being a negative Nancy.

I do see the point that many are making with regards to Rodgers tossing bombs on plays when it would seem to be better to play a higher odds game of controlling the clock and moving the sticks. For example, on the second-to-last series by the Packers:
  • 1st and 10 at GB 27
    (7:27 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to D.Adams.
  • 2nd and 10 at GB 27
    (7:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Montgomery left tackle to GB 31 for 4 yards (A.Amos).

• 3rd and 6 at GB 31
    (6:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers scrambles right guard to GB 35 for 4 yards (J.Timu).
  • 4th and 2 at GB 35
  • (5:55 - 4th) (Punt formation) J.Schum punts 52 yards to CHI 13, Center-B.Goode. C.LeBlanc to CHI 21 for 8 yards (M.Hyde).
This series was really important to control the clock and keep our defense, which just gave up two quick TDs, off of the field for a while. Move the sticks at least once or twice-- hopefully, score. But, Aaron comes out throwing deep on first down. Two plays and 8 yards later, we punt. That series was very disappointing and gave up any chance of grabbing the momentum away from the Chicago offense.

A deep pass on first down was not my preference and I was quite upset with that catch. I groaned as Aaron threw it.

I think this is what some posters are frustrated about. I can see their point.
If I remember correctly though, Adams was open, he just over threw him. Sure it's a less likely pass, because it's deeper, but Rodgers has been pretty good at them over his career. One of them one the game for us. But what defense was Chicago in? what was the appropriate play to run? Maybe that was it? It was open. Unless i'm thinking of a different one. Then scratch everything I've said :)

But I am more in the camp of move the ball, take what's in front of you, move the chains. Then take your shots type of guy overall.

PFanCan

Reaction score
If I remember correctly though, Adams was open, he just over threw him. Sure it's a less likely pass, because it's deeper, but Rodgers has been pretty good at them over his career. One of them one the game for us. But what defense was Chicago in? what was the appropriate play to run? Maybe that was it? It was open. Unless i'm thinking of a different one. Then scratch everything I've said :)

But I am more in the camp of move the ball, take what's in front of you, move the chains. Then take your shots type of guy overall.
I believe Adams had a step on his guy and was somewhat open. It was over thrown.

Still, I groan when I see the Packers trying for the "big play" when "consistent play" is what is needed most.