We can always use Charles Woodson as a

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd down WR ( 3rd or 4th WR ) - like he did at Michigan. Just a thought , he's a game breaker . 8) :idea:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him and Blackmon will be no more than decoy's...maybe we put them in, cause the defense to adjust, maybe we have one or two designed plays for them, but not much--Woodson's had enough trouble staying healthy as a one way player

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree JDUBS, (change your name friend!), i cringe at the thought of woodson playing offense. not because i think he'd do a poor job. i just don't want him hurt, and so many injuries happen because a guy is playing out of his natural position and doesn't know how to properly protect himself. knowing how to tackle is one thing, but knowing how to BE tackled is a very important thing to learn as well.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry too much about him gettnig hurt on offsnese. Like ohiopacker said we could use him on 3rd or 4th down. And besides who says we need to throw it to him? Just put him out there for somthing for the defense to think about. He cant get tackled if we dont throw him the ball.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but if the other team knows we'll never throw to him, that will be like if we only put 10 guys on the field. they HAVE to think we'll throw to him if he's gonna do us any good on offense. and the only way to make the other team think we'll throw to him is to actually throw to him every now and again.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like that idea right away. I like the idea of drawing up 2 or 3 plays a game for Woodson as a WR or decoy out there but I don't like the idea of playing a injury proned CB as our 3rd or 4th WR.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think y'all are reading too much into this "injury-prone" talk. It's quite easy to buy into all the negative talk about Charles, as it's almost a given that he's injury-prone, lost a step, doesn't have the passion anymore, has already reached his potential, blah ****ing blah.

Excuse me if I'm not PC with this reply, as I've heard the most negative, infantile, ignorant statements over the last few years from--who else--his own Raider fans. He, not Al Davis, is their whipping boy, and they feast on anything that happens to him. It got to the point where, if a receiver caught a ball on him, people would post a thread talking about how Woodson's overrated *** got burned for 17 yards. I'm not even kidding. Can you even get "burned" for 17 yards?

It's not like Wood has ankle sprains or a busted nose or even strained hammies like that overrated corner in Denver. He breaks shoulders diving for interceptions and he breaks legs lighting up running backs. That's not being injury-prone, that's a cornerback going all out. Depending on lady luck, you'll get a stinger or be knocked unconscious. That's just the nature of the game.

In other words, let the MF play wherever he wants, ESPECIALLY if it motivates him to reach his potential, which is on a scary level. After all, he IS a football player. I know Packer fans aren't completely used to the guy yet, but I am. Roll with the negative punches, although most of them have faded since he left Oakland. The best thing Wood could have done was find a new place that wanted him, that proved they accepted him, his attitude, his play, and his passion for the game. Instead of opting for the #1 defense in the NFL in Tampa Bay, complete with the coach that drafted him and the GM that offered him a fat contract, he chose Green Bay anyway. Feeling wanted, feeling at home, and showing a mutual respect should show you what kind of guy he is and what kind of organization the Packers run.

Just do me a favor---over all the minicamps, OTAs, spring practices, and eventually preseason---make your OWN judgments. Judge him in your own right, from your own point of view. Don't listen to the media, don't listen to jaded Raider fans (who have already deemed Michael Huff better, granting him #24 and his locker in the process without seeing him play a single professional game). and hell, don't even listen to me. Give the guy three games into the season, then we'll see how injury prone he is and whether or not he should be on offense, be it decoy or playmaker. But I'll tell you this, the punt returns, blanket coverage, and ridiculous run support should be enough for you to grant him some time on offense.

Rant over.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everything said above. You can't treat any player like you are too afraid of him getting injured. It is going to happen or it isn't. Just use the player to the best of his abilities. If it can be effective using him as a reciever some of the time then do it. Don't be afraid that he is going to get tackled and injured. It happens, it is part of the game and he is a pro. It's not like the guy can't handle being hit, or he is going to break apart because he got tackled. All you can really do is hope for no injuries, but it is part of the game and you can't really prevent things like that from happening.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed injury prone should be used on guys who miss games for sprained ankles and back aches..... the man broke a shoulder and a leg. thats just bad luck...i hope.

but yeah he gets a clean slate from me. joker dont let em get you upset some people here are just overly pessimistic... if we signed ray lewis, marvin harrison and LT FOR FREE, some people here would see the bad in it. it kinda blows my mind.

however the majority are about to **** themselves with glee that Cwood is here. and if there is a spot on O for him,(with this set of recieves im sure we can find somewhere) i say let him do it.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
agreed injury prone should be used on guys who miss games for sprained ankles and back aches..... the man broke a shoulder and a leg. thats just bad luck...i hope.

but yeah he gets a clean slate from me. joker dont let em get you upset some people here are just overly pessimistic... if we signed ray lewis, marvin harrison and LT FOR FREE, some people here would see the bad in it. it kinda blows my mind.

however the majority are about to **** themselves with glee that Cwood is here. and if there is a spot on O for him,(with this set of recieves im sure we can find somewhere) i say let him do it.

I'm not upset over folks on here; being cautious is completely merited with what you've been given (injury history, media reports, fan hearsay). However, if you think of the bigger picture and remember what this guy did at Michigan (rush, receive, punt return, and defensive touchdowns), and that the Green Bay staff is quite aware of his impact, then maybe we could all settle down a little bit and break out from the Monday morning quarterback routine where we know everything and the coaches know jack. It's not even preseason yet!

Furthermore, I haven't been here long enough to judge anyone's opinions, and I'm aware of the fraternal instinct of message boards to dismiss newcomers' opinions, so I'm trying to be respectful while getting my message across. I am glad that the majority of Pack fans welcome him, especially after so many Raider fans turned their back on him, and hearing that he is getting his picks in minicamp and that the coaches are finding ways to get the ball in his hands, well, it's music to my ears after a few difficult years to watch.

I just hope the coaches capitalize on his pass-rushing ability and his uncanny knack for forcing fumbles. Little things like that mean so much in the heat of tight game, even if you don't get the call right (re: tuck rule) :D

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
but if the other team knows we'll never throw to him, that will be like if we only put 10 guys on the field. they HAVE to think we'll throw to him if he's gonna do us any good on offense. and the only way to make the other team think we'll throw to him is to actually throw to him every now and again.

Well if the guy is wide open then throw it to him. If it is like having ten guys out there that means that no one will be covering Woodson. :) thats good. Then we throw to him when he is wide open which will not happen much probably.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
Packnic said:

I'm not upset over folks on here; being cautious is completely merited with what you've been given (injury history, media reports, fan hearsay). However, if you think of the bigger picture and remember what this guy did at Michigan (rush, receive, punt return, and defensive touchdowns), and that the Green Bay staff is quite aware of his impact, then maybe we could all settle down a little bit and break out from the Monday morning quarterback routine where we know everything and the coaches know jack. It's not even preseason yet!

Furthermore, I haven't been here long enough to judge anyone's opinions, and I'm aware of the fraternal instinct of message boards to dismiss newcomers' opinions, so I'm trying to be respectful while getting my message across. I am glad that the majority of Pack fans welcome him, especially after so many Raider fans turned their back on him, and hearing that he is getting his picks in minicamp and that the coaches are finding ways to get the ball in his hands, well, it's music to my ears after a few difficult years to watch.

I just hope the coaches capitalize on his pass-rushing ability and his uncanny knack for forcing fumbles. Little things like that mean so much in the heat of tight game, even if you don't get the call right (re: tuck rule) :D

What this guy did at Michigan. Let's be real first. College isn't near the level as the NFL. Chris Gamble played WR in college. Plays only CB in the NFL. The things Woodson did in the college on both ways cannot be done in the NFL. That's not to say Woodson isn't a good player. That's to say it has happened only one time in the modern era and Woodson is no Deion. You don't use your starting CB as your #3 WR. It'll wear him down. He's almost 30 as well. I rather see Green Bay draw up some plays for him on offense instead of sending him in every 2 plays. I'd like to see some reverses, fakes, screens, and slants to him but as our #3 or #4 like suggested. That's to drastic for someone who like it or not (accept it or not) has had problems staying healthy. Hasn't played a full year in 3 or 4 years. Too much riding on him on defense than to use him on offense.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see him as a #3 reciever.

Maybe a 4th or 5th in special gimick packages maybe, 1 or 2 times a game.

we'll see what coach will do. exciting time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I dont see him as a #3 reciever.

Maybe a 4th or 5th in special gimick packages maybe, 1 or 2 times a game.

we'll see what coach will do. exciting time.

That's what I like. Special plays setup for him. I think McCarthy and Jago could work something with him and I bet they do.

I don't want to see Woodson used as the #3 or #4 WR though with Jennings, Driver, Ferguson, Gardner, and now Boerigter on the roster.

Though I have a hunch Boerigter is gone after this year.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
What this guy did at Michigan. Let's be real first. College isn't near the level as the NFL. Chris Gamble played WR in college. Plays only CB in the NFL. The things Woodson did in the college on both ways cannot be done in the NFL. That's not to say Woodson isn't a good player. That's to say it has happened only one time in the modern era and Woodson is no Deion. You don't use your starting CB as your #3 WR. It'll wear him down. He's almost 30 as well. I rather see Green Bay draw up some plays for him on offense instead of sending him in every 2 plays. I'd like to see some reverses, fakes, screens, and slants to him but as our #3 or #4 like suggested. That's to drastic for someone who like it or not (accept it or not) has had problems staying healthy. Hasn't played a full year in 3 or 4 years. Too much riding on him on defense than to use him on offense.

Yes, let's be real.

Did I ever say Michigan was near the professional level?
Did I ever say use Woodson as your #3 WR?
Did I ever say he was immune to injury problems?

No on all accounts. As I have followed his collegiate and professional career, I was merely attempting to settle people's nerves and knee-jerk reactions as to what we should/shouldn't do with him.

Apparently it didn't work.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
porky88 said:

Yes, let's be real.

Did I ever say Michigan was near the professional level?
Did I ever say use Woodson as your #3 WR?
Did I ever say he was immune to injury problems?

No on all accounts. As I have followed his collegiate and professional career, I was merely attempting to settle people's nerves and knee-jerk reactions as to what we should/shouldn't do with him.

Apparently it didn't work.

whoa don't take "Let's be real" out of context buddy..

I'm saying Woodson isn't going to come in and make a huge impact on offense like he did in college. This is the NFL not college. He also did get hurt. You can say whatever you want about him lowering his shoulder. He got hurt. A little bad luck.. Probably... From what I saw at Mini camp he looked like he kept himself in great shape. I look forward to him on defense. I don't expect him to play much O though..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I dunno. I spoke to my Pizza Delivery source and he confirmed Brett plans on throwing 8 passes to him a game. If Woodson can snatch half of those he'll have over 60 catchs.

Woodson is also going for the WR TD record this year.

*** WATCH FOR IT ***

[align=right]This message brought to you by ZeroTV[/align]

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt woodson partly come to green bay because they said they would use him on offense? As much as I would like to see him play offense, I just dont want him to get hurt.